XY OU XY OU Team Attempt

How good is this team?

• Nearly Perfect.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is my first attempt at a serious x/y OU team. My teams in the past have been more for fun, but this time I actually put thought and effort into the pokemon I use and the ev spreads. Any and all advice is helpful, as I am trying to fix any flaws this team currently has.

420BlazeIt (Heatran) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Ice

Heatran is my choice for stealth rocks, as it allows me to deal with ferrothorn, skarmory, and other defensive steel types, as well as check threats such as bisharp and adamant excadrill. I run 252 speed to outspeed adamant bisharp, other base 70s, defensive heatran, and the standard gliscor with 72 speed evs, as well as adamant excadrill. I originally had will-o-wisp and fire blast, but switched to an offensive heatran with hp ice and lava plume for the 100% accuracy and 30% burn. Hp ice allows me to hit landorus, gliscor, garchomp, dragonite, and salamence while the air balloon prevents me from being hit by their eq. Earth power provides nice coverage and hits other heatrans that aren't holding a balloon.

Jesus (Landorus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Landorous with an assault vest actually acts as an extremely good tank, as the intimidate/AV combo really synergizes quite well. I used too run a more defensive set with knock off, but I have found superpower more useful overall especially since people seem to be eager to send in their air balloon heatran/excadrill thinking I cannot touch them, and provides better cover overall. U-Turn is good for offensive momentum and scouting, and the offensive set with a jolly nature allows me to use that more effectively. EQ is amazing STAB obviously, and stone edge is good coverage. I am thinking about potentially switching stone edge for another move that might allow me to hit things like other landorus and gliscor, but I think stone edge is more useful overall. Jolly is run over adamant because charizard is always a threat, and it allows me to outspeed base 100's and garchomp, speed tie base 105's, and jolly excadrill, and base 80's such as dragonite.

Mr. Clean (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Pretty standard rotom set, so there's not too much to say. 44 speed is essential to outspeed jolly azumarill and burn it. 252 hp is so I get maximum recovery with leftovers, and Pain Split > Resto Chesto because of leftovers and re-usable recovery. The rest goes into Sp. Def because this is my main greninja check. Hydro Pump is the only water STAB worth a damn on rotom, and can be used to take out excadrills/landorus trying to switch in on a volt switch/ Volt switch gets STAB and keeps momentum, so you can't really go wrong. This also acts as a heatran check, and special sweeper check in general due to its fantastic typing. Pain split also lets me beat chansey/blissey 1v1 unless they have toxic.

Shrooms! (Breloom) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb

Breloom is such an amazing pokemon. I only recently introduced this to my team, since pokemon such as rotom-w and bulky water-ground types walled me pretty hard, but since I started using it technician breloom is by far my new favourite pokemon. It can OHKO thundurus, and every sub-disable gengar I have come across has gone the same way: turn 1 bullet seed to break sub, turn 2 rock tomb expecting the disable, turn 3 rock tomb again KOing gengar or lowering the speed of anything that comes in. The speed drop from rock tomb is extremely useful, and offers great coverage. Max speed and jolly is necessary in my opinion, and the rest of my evs go into attack. The sash allows me to take at least one hit, which is nice since breloom is quite frail, and even with a jolly nature is outsped by a low of pokemon. Bullet seed for technician + stab, and to break subs/sashes/sturdy. Mach punch for stab + technician priority, and spore because it's spore.

Here are some calcs showing brelooms power:
252 Atk Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 296-350 (81.9 - 96.9%)
252 Atk Technician Breloom Rock Tomb vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 262-310 (87.6 - 103.6%)
252 Atk Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 258-312 (84.8 - 102.6%)
252 Atk Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 348-414 (114.4 - 136.1%)

Kevin 2 (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

Lati@s used to be my defogger of choice, but I found it useless offensively and defensively on this team. Defensive zapdos helps me cover some holes in my team such as heatran being my only ferrothorn counter. 252 hp since it's more of a wall then anything else, and 252 hp evs gives me maximum leftovers recovery. The 32 speed to allow me to outspeed adamant bisharp, jolly base 60's and jolly t-tar. Bold nature and the rest of my evs in defense to tank hits. Discharge over t-bolt for the all powerful para hax, heat wave for amazing coverage and steel types such as ferrothorn that are a pain in the ass. Roost/leftovers for the recovery, and defog since this is my defogger. Would be counter-productive to have a defogger without defog.

Kevin (Latios) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- T-Bolt/Trick
- Surf/ Ice Beam

Looking at my team, it was fairly slow and I felt scarfed latios would be useful. Max Sp. Atk and modest since it allows me to output a massive amount of damage. I run psychic over psyshock because defensive mega-venusaur kind of shits on my day, and psychic will do more than psyshock on defensive venusaur. Draco because powerful STAB, surf is good coverage, but I'm thinking ice beam would be more useful for landorus, gliscor etc. My last move I'm really not sure. T-Bolt offers good coverage, while trick allows me to cripple those irritating SkarmBliss cores. Currently I'm trying Draco Meteor/Psychic/T-bolt/Ice Beam, but that might change if I become aware of a specific flaw.

Looking at my team conkeldurr is probably he biggest threat that I can see, so I am considering switching psychic for psyshock.

Last edited:
Well, it looks like you have most of your bases covered already, you aren't lacking anything vital. Of course, that puts you into the most lengthy and difficult portion of team building: fine tuning. I see that you don't really care for mega cham, and I can't blame you there, it's strong, but it has easily exploitable flaws. I notice that you don't have any banded pokemon, so I would suggest adding one into that slot. Try scarfed gardevoir or specs gothitelle, as both have good wallbreaking capabilites with some extra support options that can really help your team out of a jam; and considering that an opposing mega venusaur could wreck most of your team, (immune to spore and could sludge bomb breloom, giga drain slays rotom, earthquake neuters heatran once it's balloon pops, zapdos and landy don't have the offense or defense to stall out or out-attack a leech seed/giga drain assault) either of these pokemon would greatly help out there.

Try this for the gard set:

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Healing Wish/Memento
- Moonblast
- Psyshock

Or this gothitelle set:

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Trick/Shadow Ball

Both of these are very useful pokemon that splash well onto any team, as they have obvious utility in multiple situations. They actually run similar sets, but each runs a bit differently; Gard can outspeed threats that think they can outpace her and get suprise kills, while goth traps pokemon with no hope of escape save u-turn, volt switch, and baton pass, all of which are easily predicted. They can both get kills on opponent's tanks such as the blobs, rotom-w, or the aforementioned mega venusaur, as well as being reasonably guaranteed to at least damage many other threats, or they can use their fourth moveslot's support option to grab momentum: gard can either heal a teammate or debilitate an opponent, both of which can instantly shift the momentum of a match; while goth can specs-lock a support pokemon and generate free turns and permanent loss of utility on an opponent's supporter. I encourage you to try both out, and see which one would fit better in that last slot.

Overall, this is a really good team. Very well thought out, and very well balanced. It only needs minor adjustment to really shine, great job!

Well, it looks like you have most of your bases covered already, you aren't lacking anything vital. Of course, that puts you into the most lengthy and difficult portion of team building: fine tuning. I see that you don't really care for mega cham, and I can't blame you there, it's strong, but it has easily exploitable flaws. I notice that you don't have any banded pokemon, so I would suggest adding one into that slot. Try scarfed gardevoir or specs gothitelle, as both have good wallbreaking capabilites with some extra support options that can really help your team out of a jam; and considering that an opposing mega venusaur could wreck most of your team, (immune to spore and could sludge bomb breloom, giga drain slays rotom, earthquake neuters heatran once it's balloon pops, zapdos and landy don't have the offense or defense to stall out or out-attack a leech seed/giga drain assault) either of these pokemon would greatly help out there.

Try this for the gard set:

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Healing Wish/Memento
- Moonblast
- Psyshock

Or this gothitelle set:

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Trick/Shadow Ball

Both of these are very useful pokemon that splash well onto any team, as they have obvious utility in multiple situations. They actually run similar sets, but each runs a bit differently; Gard can outspeed threats that think they can outpace her and get suprise kills, while goth traps pokemon with no hope of escape save u-turn, volt switch, and baton pass, all of which are easily predicted. They can both get kills on opponent's tanks such as the blobs, rotom-w, or the aforementioned mega venusaur, as well as being reasonably guaranteed to at least damage many other threats, or they can use their fourth moveslot's support option to grab momentum: gard can either heal a teammate or debilitate an opponent, both of which can instantly shift the momentum of a match; while goth can specs-lock a support pokemon and generate free turns and permanent loss of utility on an opponent's supporter. I encourage you to try both out, and see which one would fit better in that last slot.

Overall, this is a really good team. Very well thought out, and very well balanced. It only needs minor adjustment to really shine, great job!
I will definitely try both of these sets and see how they do. I honestly haven't had too many problems with mega venusaur, but for the most part I've had mega gyarados which could just ice fang it because of mold breaker. Mega-Venusaur is probably my biggest threat right now, so that needs to be addressed. Ill definately run some calcs and do some testing to see which of these to use.

AV Rotom-Wash, What the hell!!!
Pls, Use the standard set, Hp ice over WoW in Offensive Heatran and Zen headbutt over Bullet Punch in Mega-Medicham, or Sub+3 Attacks

AV Rotom-Wash, What the hell!!!
Pls, Use the standard set, Hp ice over WoW in Offensive Heatran and Zen headbutt over Bullet Punch in Mega-Medicham, or Sub+3 Attacks
I switched to hp ice/standard rotom-w, and overall it's working a lot better. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)