XY OU Team

I’ve been interested in competitive battles since HGSS, but I’ve never built my own team until this gen. So this is my first, please don’t be to hard on me ^^ Also, English is not my first language, so forgive me if I make mistakes.

With this team, I wanted to use Skarm and Gyara’s ability to force switches to damage the opponent with my entry hazards. I decided to go for Florges, Scizor and Gliscor for my defensive core. Scizor’s fire and Gliscor’s water weaknesses aren’t covered by this core, but Gyara resists both. I needed a bulky Stealth Rocker to compliment this team, so I went for Tyranitar.

I’ve had mixed results so far with this team, I think something like 1 win for 1 lose. Any suggestion to improve it is welcome.

Since I’m a noob, these sets are all standards, including the EV spreads. Don’t expect to be surprised here.

Skarmory @ Leftovers

Ability: Sturdy

EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 SDef

Impish Nature

- Spikes

- Roost

- Whirlwind

- Brave Bird

Skarmory is my premium physical wall and sets up Spikes on the opponent’s side. It can often set up three layers once the opponent’s Spinner/Defogger is KO’d or they lack one, as it will often force physical attackers to switch. Roost is the obvious reliable recovery. Whirlwind is there to make use of the hazards and allows it to phaze setup sweepers. Brave Bird can dent some frail sweepers weak to it, and prevent Taunt to make it totally useless.

Gyarados @ Leftovers

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef

Impish Nature

- Waterfall

- Dragon Tail

- Rest

- Sleep Talk

Gyarados can take care of some physical threats that Skarm can’t handle, like Garchomp with Fire Blast and Talonflame. Waterfall is there for the STAB, Dragon Tail to phaze and exploit the hazards. RestTalk allows it to survive longer and to absorb status if Gliscor’s Toxic Orb isn’t activated.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers

Ability: Sand Stream

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef

Sassy Nature

- Stealth Rock

- Pursuit

- Crunch

- Fire Blast

Tyranitar is there to put the rocks on the opponent’s field, and thanks to its bulk it can do this several times during the game. It can also Pursuit trap weakened foes and Psychic- and Ghost-types. Crunch is there for a more powerful STAB. Fire Blast takes down opponent’s Steel-types. The Sandstorm is pretty useful as 4 out my 6 mons aren’t damaged by it.

Florges (F) @ Leftovers

Ability: Flower Veil

EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef

Calm Nature

- Wish

- Protect

- Moonblast

- Aromatherapy

Florges is the special wall of the team, being able to tank every special attack but Steel-types (uncommon on the special side) and Poison-types, which Scizor can take instead. It provides Wish support to the team and can heal itself thanks to Protect. Moonblast hits hard Dragon-, Fighting- and Dark-types, and Aromatherapy allows it to heal status that could cripple my team.

Scizor @ Scizorite

Ability: Technician

EVs: 252 HP / 12 Atk / 244 SDef

Adamant Nature

- Swords Dance

- Roost

- Bullet Punch

- X-Scissor

Mega-Scizor’s bulk lets it setup on attackers which lack Fire attacks, with Roost maintaining it healthy. STAB and technician boosted Bullet Punch hurts a lot everything that doesn’t resist it after a Sword Dance, and can allow it to revenge kill weakened foes. It also does a lot to Fairy-types, which often lack physical bulk. X-Scissor is the other, more powerful STAB. If Steel and Fire foes have been taken down, it can often end the game.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb

Ability: Poison Heal

EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spd

Impish Nature

- Protect

- Substitute

- Toxic

- Earthquake

Gliscor’s ability allows it to get a free Substitute every two turns, which combined with Protect and Toxic turns it into a very efficient annoyer. It is also a good physical wall thanks to its bulk and typing. STAB Earthquake prevent Steel-types from totally walling it, although it can’t do anything against Air Ballooned and Flying Steels.

Edit: I tried Quagsire over Gyara and it worked very well against setup sweepers with Unaware. It also brings my team a Rock-resist instead of a weakness.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)