Other XY OU Viability Ranking Thread (V3) (Rank changes are over until ORAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, any thoughts about Celebi moving to B+? It hasn't had much discussion, and I still stand by my statement that it's a really good defensive mon which takes hits from both sides of the spectrum really well, walls key threats, provides really good support, and has quite a bit of versatility to boot.
I can definitely agree with this. Celebi is odd to me in the fact that the things that could destroy it -- HP Bug Keldeo, U-Turn Lando-I -- simply don't exist this generation because Celebi is so niche a threat, which in turns makes Celebi more effective in the XY meta. It's a great counter to every S-rank threat bar CharX, which I feel says positive things about its viability -- it also has reliable recovery + Giga Drain, a great support movepool (Baton Pass, Heal Bell, T-Wave, Stealth Rock, Healing Wish [perhaps for an offensive set?], and Perish Song [a clutch for stall teams that struggle with Suicune]). And with BP, it's basically immune to pursuit-trapping, which is great for a Keldeo counter. I don't use the offensive / Bulky NP set so I can't necessarily vouch for its viability, though to be honest I can't imagine it being that great. Regardless, I think Celebi has attributes that warrant a placement in B+. It kind of reminds me of Victini in that its a well-rounded Pokemon with a lot of weaknesses that still manages to fill important defensive niches on stall teams for Pokemon that they might otherwise struggle with.

(Well, stall only struggles with SubCM Keldeo and KO Lando-I, but Celebi handles both of those fairly well, as well as Azumarill with a mixed spread).

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Celebi checks Azumarill just as well as Mega Venusaur counters Rotom-W, as in it doesn't. Univested Giga Drain does 35% max to AV Azumarill while you lose about half your health assuming Physically Defensive, while Specially Defensive loses about 70%, and your Lefties on top of that. And that's assuming you got in on without taking any damage (either from revenging or a double switch), since Play Rough still does about 34% damage to Physically Defensive and 50% to Specially Defensive.

0 SpA Celebi Giga Drain vs. 16 HP / 240 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 102-120 (29.5 - 34.7%) -- 4.2% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Celebi: 192-226 (47.5 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 258-304 (63.8 - 75.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Celebi: 133-157 (32.9 - 38.8%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 178-211 (44 - 52.2%) -- 77.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
The main problem I have with cleric sylveon is that unlike clefable which actually packs flamethrower, any steel not named lucario can get a totally free switch-in to sylveon. Thus, if we were to ever consider raising sylveon, it would have to be based off of the specs set.
Which by the way is a pretty goddam cool set. Partnered with char-y i've actually found a lot of success :O One of the main defining points about it is Baton Pass. With it, it transforms into a nuke with a reliable and spammable move that also acts as a pivot, and nothing else in the tier can do this. I especially like clicking baton pass with specs sylveon as they switch into ferro or something to give my char-y another kill. The main thing here is sylveons' super ez to spam specs hyper voice. It literally has zero drawbacks, 100% accuracy, amazing offensive coverage, and a solid 117 base power STAB. Thats something that no other specs/band mon can really boast.
Specs Keldeo scald is the only thing that comes close, and even that has a disappointing 80 base power. Banded Raptor's STABs hurt it a lot and normal has bad offensive coverage, Banded Azu waterfall is only 80 bp and play rough can miss, Specs Zone STABs are weak BP and electric is blocked by ground and steel has bad offensive coverage, BandNite outrage is blocked by fairies and each coverage move has its own drawbacks, Lol Bandzor, Lol specsgar, Bandtalon is solid but it dies super fast and isn't even that strong, and Band Terrak's STABs lowers defenses or has a disgusting 80 acc. Specs Sylveon's STABs are by far the most spammable.

Max HP sylveon also naturally tanks two hits from greninja and atleast one hit from a fuckton of other stuff (mega medi, mega hera, latios, kyu-b, keldeo, etc) so that's cool.

Charizard X==>A+
Zard X is still a good mon, but not S-Rank. Its checks and counters including Azumarill, heatran, Slowbro, Landorus-T, etc. are getting more and more popular, making it much harder to sweep. It isn't to hard to revenge kill either, with Pokemon such as Talonflame, CS Chomp and Sand Rush Excadrill being able to outspeed and OHKO +1 Zard after SR. Wisp is probably its best set, but it isn't really hard to kill or take advantage of. Residual damage from SR and Flare blitz recoil will also cut its sweep most of the time.
Alright, Heatran isn't a check. And if you have Zard X, all it needs is Defog support, which it then can live a Banded Flames BB. Also, at neutral it smacks Lando-T
with 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 222-262 (58.1 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery. Rocks and a tad bit of residual damage not that great of a check IMO. Slowbro is also shaky as it bopped by an outrage. +1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 289-342 (73.3 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery. Yes, some of these are situational, but they aren't uncommon. Yes it can get revenge killed, but everything can. Sand Drill involves a Sack, so he gets a kill. Scarfchomp is the best check imo. Zard X deserves nothing less than S rank

Okay, it took me way too long to realise this, but Quagsire is not good. Like, really not good at all. I know it just dropped to B, but I feel like this is still way too high for it, and that it should drop even as far as C+, because in this metagame, with all the powerful attacks flying around, it just cannot cope, especially when you have much better options in Alomomola and especially Slowbro who is just superior in almost every way. The only things it deals with better than Slowbro are electric types (such as Thundurus, Raikou, and MManectric, which I will admit is pretty nice, but stall teams almost always run a bulky grass type anyway so these Pokemon aren't really threatening to most stalla to teh point where you need an extra anwser to them) Bisharp, TTar (though Slowbro can even take scarfed Crunches decently), and DD XZard (who is slipping in relevancy pretty fast) It straight-up loses to every wallbreaker in the tier due to the fact that its natural bulk is just not very good. It is just as much setup fodder as Alomomola, and unlike Mola it doesn't make up for it with insane support (all it has for support is Toxic which literally everything else can do).
I'm probably exaggerating how bad Quagsire is, but the fact of the matter is, even it it does the job of a bulky water okay, and has some perks over its competitors, it's really hard to justify using it over Pokemon who are not just better in most scenarios, but also can be used on more playstyles than just full stall. In that sense, it's a lot like Sylveon, who has obvious palpable qualities over Clefable as a wishpasser, yet who lacks so many of its pros that it becomes pretty much impossible to use over Clefable and make it actually worth it. And Regenerator is one hell of a pro. What Regenerator does it not only extend your longevity, not only let you stall out a lot of attackers, but also give you a safety net in case you take a hit that turns out to be a bit too much. So many times I have seen Quagsire switch in on, say, XZard, while being at around 80%, and take a Dragon Claw from it, realizing it cannot take another, and put its user is a really bad position. If the Quagsire user had opted for Slowbro instead, not only would it have probably been at full when it switched, but he could also have switched out to get some of Slowbro's health back, and then switch back in to take on the XZard again. And for a playstyle as vulnerable to stray crits and random coverage moves as stall, when losing your answer to a Pokemon can give the opponent an automatic victory, you need that safety net, more than you need one for setup (which can be predicted with far more accuracy than say, a crit earthquake).
So yeah, Regenerator is far more valuable for stall than Unaware right now, and you have to try hard to justify using Quagsire in this metagame. I really think C+ is fitting.

Jirachi is really good oml. I genuinely think it can move up to A- since it just deals with so many threats and does it so well, provides great support with Wish, and is just a really massive pain in the ass to face especially if you go against the SubToxic set. It's at least on par with Chansey and Skarm (who are somehow still A-...) as a defensive Pokemon, and it can even run offensive sets like Scarf to boot. It's just a very solid and versatile Pokemon in this metagame, not much more to say.
And yes, I know that both these Pokemon have already rightfully been moved very recently, but now that they've been brought to our attention and have gained some momentum, and have both led to unanimous agreement, it seems like the right time to discuss them even more.

Also, any thoughts about Celebi moving to B+? It hasn't had much discussion, and I still stand by my statement that it's a really good defensive mon which takes hits from both sides of the spectrum really well, walls key threats, provides really good support, and has quite a bit of versatility to boot.
Quag counters/checks key threats alomola/slowbro stuggles covering that bulky grasses also sort of do.

Azumarill Belly Drum
Charizard (Mega-X) DD
Thunderus beats both waters and psychic beats mega venu
Excadrill SD scald only does so much
Landorus-T SD scald only does so much
Bisharp SD they don't like +2 knock offs
Dragonite DD lum berry screws with both waters.
Garchomp SD scald only does so much.

Scizor (Mega) SD kind of have to hope for burn for win.

Tyranitar (Mega) DD crunch does major damage.
Gyarados DD have to pray for burn

Manectric (Mega) Volturn wrecks water.

Victini Bolt strike lets it beat the waters.

Alright, Heatran isn't a check. And if you have Zard X, all it needs is Defog support, which it then can live a Banded Flames BB. Also, at neutral it smacks Lando-T
with 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 222-262 (58.1 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery. Rocks and a tad bit of residual damage not that great of a check IMO. Slowbro is also shaky as it bopped by an outrage. +1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 289-342 (73.3 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery. Yes, some of these are situational, but they aren't uncommon. Yes it can get revenge killed, but everything can. Sand Drill involves a Sack, so he gets a kill. Scarfchomp is the best check imo. Zard X deserves nothing less than S rank
Heatran and Lando-T are Zard-X's best checks. I don't agree that Zard should drop and it's also blacklisted. Heatran beats Zard-X if it has Roar or Earth Power, and Earthquake Zard isn't ubiquitous. Lando-T takes one Flare Blitz and knocks it out with Earthquake. I don't know what even checks Zard-X if they don't. They definitely aren't counters if that's what you mean.

Heatran and Lando-T are Zard-X's best checks. I don't agree that Zard should drop and it's also blacklisted. Heatran beats Zard-X if it has Roar or Earth Power, and Earthquake Zard isn't ubiquitous. Lando-T takes one Flare Blitz and knocks it out with Earthquake. I don't know what even checks Zard-X if they don't. They definitely aren't counters if that's what you mean.
That is what i meant about lando-t. Earthquake Zard is pretty common, one of the best sets imo. If Zard X drops from S i will be shocked.

Celebi checks Azumarill just as well as Mega Venusaur counters Rotom-W, as in it doesn't. Univested Giga Drain does 35% max to AV Azumarill while you lose about half your health assuming Physically Defensive, while Specially Defensive loses about 70%, and your Lefties on top of that. And that's assuming you got in on without taking any damage (either from revenging or a double switch), since Play Rough still does about 34% damage to Physically Defensive and 50% to Specially Defensive.

0 SpA Celebi Giga Drain vs. 16 HP / 240 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 102-120 (29.5 - 34.7%) -- 4.2% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Celebi: 192-226 (47.5 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 258-304 (63.8 - 75.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Celebi: 133-157 (32.9 - 38.8%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 178-211 (44 - 52.2%) -- 77.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
so as celebi switches in azu knocks off the leftovers for ~50%, celebi outspeeds next turn and recovers back to full health as Azu does ~30% back. Now what. how exactly does azu break through or even apply significant pressure to physically defensive celebi in this scenario.

Karxrida

so as celebi switches in azu knocks off the leftovers for ~50%, celebi outspeeds next turn and recovers back to full health as Azu does ~30% back. Now what. how exactly does azu break through or even apply significant pressure to physically defensive celebi in this scenario.
Or it just switches out to one of the many things that fuck up Celebi, like Talonflame, while you're left with a crippled Mon. Please explain how losing half your health and you item while not even KO'ing something with as little as 40% counts as checking (you don't get Giga Drain healing cause you move before getting hit).

Last edited:
Or it just switches out to one of the many things that fuck up Celebi, like Talonflame, while you're left with a crippled Mon. Please explain how losing half your health and you item while not even KO'ing something with as little as 40% counts as checking (you don't get Giga Drain healing cause you move before getting hit).
And a predicted Thunder Wave fuck up the many thing that like to switch into it (or just make another predicted switch). It doesn't even need to predict the switch to use the Thunder Wave because even if Azumarill doesn't switch out, it doesn't kill anyway. Stop assuming Azumarill is the only mon that can predict and make switches. Celebi lost about 50% of its hp, which it can recover back. Azumarill lost a third of its hp which will never come back.
Or it just switches out to one of the many things that fuck up Celebi
Literally any Pokemon can switch out to the things that fuck up their checks. Saying Azumarill can switch out of Celebi into a Celebi check doesn't mean anything.

Last edited:
Physically defensive Celebi is still a check/counter to AV Azu either way, maybe it isn't a good one but it still is. You said it yourself that Azumarill is forced out lol and Celebi isn't really "crippled" without Leftovers.. being crippled is more like a burned non guts physical attacker.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
cleric sylveon is literal garbage it's not relevant did i mention it's garbage?

i have a team with zard y + specs sylveon, it's pretty cool but honestly i feel it's being a bit overhyped. sylveon in actuality gets few switch-in opportunities, and due to rather disappointing bulk on the whole in tandem with low speed. it's pretty good vs slower-paced teams where it gets ample opportunity to fire off attacks, but it's not like it's unwallable. and here's the thing with using sylv zone: clef is better on those teams! faster-paced teams will give it hell because they give it nothing to switch in on and most of the team can usually nuke if not ohko sylveon. sylveon is not that good, and should not rise.

Been running Jukain's Bulky NP set
Jukain's?!

Anyway agree with Sylveon moving up and Celebi. Celebi fits well with all the common play styles right now - sand offense, balance, and HO. Ton of support moves it can run as well as offensive attacks for more bang for your buck. Has a bit of 4MSS, but honestly that's not too big a problem when you can just slap on ANY 4 moves and have Celebi continuously perform. Typing is really good right now, it's stats are solid, not Pursuit bait, easily passes huge boosts to any teammate, etc. Just a solid ass mon overall and will see a lot of usage soon. Didn't really discuss Sylveon, but others have so I don't need to. :toast:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
You make it sound as if Azumarill is hitting Celebi with U-turn or something, which it's clearly not. Here's how it usually goes: Azumarill Knocks Off the Celebi switch-in for ~50%, Celebi heals up to full as Azumarill is forced out, Celebi is forced out until Azumarill comes back in, this time taking only ~30% from a Knock Off, enough to not need to go for Recover and let Giga Drain do the work, meaning Azumarill at that point will never break Celebi. If Celebi's teammates have more trouble with the Belly Drum variant, Celebi can drop all pretense and simply go for Leaf Storm to smash Azu. Not as much of a hard counter as Mega Venusaur, but that's a Mega, and Celebi may see better use on offensive teams than Ferrothorn or Amoonguss does.

Last edited:
The rankings actually look great right now. A few minor nitpicks but everything's really fine overall.

Azelf may need to move up to B. It has two really awesome lead sets that can give HO teams a huge edge out of the gate. Explosion and dual screens is great for paving the way for really any set-up sweeper to come in and wreck immediately. The hazards lead set is also good, and it fits offenses differently than it's slower hazard setting counterparts like Shuckle. Even outside of those sets, a base 115 speed Taunt outruns pretty much every other lead outside of Aerodactyl, fast Knock Off is amazing and fast U-Turn gives it great momentum pick-up ability. It's really good, and only loses the opening hazard war to Shuckle and Lead Aero. Also, I've recently been seeing it as a second setter on Rain Teams because of the speed tier and the other support it provides (Rocks, Screens or Knock Off for the blob) that can otherwise be harder to fit.

Chesnaught could move up to B as well. Stacking up well against Sand Offense is hard to find thing, and Ches is one of the better options on balanced teams (or any team really) at dealing with it. I could see it moving up for this reason alone. It has issues with BirdSpam, but Ches is very easy to pair with something that deals with that playstyle. If doesn't move up now, when the ORAS move tutors give it Drain Punch it will move up then.

Yeah, that's about it. The rankings look really good right now. Also, the current Celebi discussion feels like it has happened a few times before, and seems fairly circular. I have no opinion on where it should go, but maybe we should do something about that (blacklist or conclusion reached?).

Karxrida

Celebi still gives out free switches to a ton of things afterward and will be forced out. If I wanted an Azumarill check I'd rather use something that can actually kill it from the get-go and/or doesn't need it to so weak that any moderately strong Physical attack like Bisharp's Iron Head could do it.

252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 169-199 (48.9 - 57.6%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO

Just for fun:
252+ SpA Celebi Giga Drain vs. 16 HP / 240 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 138-164 (40 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Celebi still gives out free switches to a ton of things afterward and will be forced out. If I wanted an Azumarill check I'd rather use something that can actually kill it from the get-go and/or doesn't need it to so weak that any moderately strong Physical attack like Bisharp's Iron Head could do it.

252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 169-199 (48.9 - 57.6%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO
On the other hand, Waterfall/Play Rough + Aqua Jet kill Bisharp outright.

And onto Sylveon. Honestly cleric Sylveon is pretty badly outclassed. It is almost completely outclassed by Clefable unless it is on specific teams who struggle with Sub users. The fact that it has its use on specific teams (like mine) is the only reason why it is C+ and not C/C-. Specs Sylveon is pretty good against slower teams, but its Specs set requires a ton of support in general. At the same time, its Specs team suffers a lot in the current meta considering every slow team and their mother are highly prepared for Gardevoir. And as Jukain said, ClefZone is better than SylvZone in general.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
cleric sylveon is literal garbage it's not relevant did i mention it's garbage?

i have a team with zard y + specs sylveon, it's pretty cool but honestly i feel it's being a bit overhyped. sylveon in actuality gets few switch-in opportunities, and due to rather disappointing bulk on the whole in tandem with low speed. it's pretty good vs slower-paced teams where it gets ample opportunity to fire off attacks, but it's not like it's unwallable. and here's the thing with using sylv zone: clef is better on those teams! faster-paced teams will give it hell because they give it nothing to switch in on and most of the team can usually nuke if not ohko sylveon. sylveon is not that good, and should not rise.

That's literal garbage. I don't think cleric Sylveon is literal garbage; I think it's figurative garbage.

But anyway, I haven't used Sylveon ever so I'm not going to form an opinion on it, but just from a cursory glance any arguments to move it up should be based on the merits of its Choice Specs set since there are just so few reasons cleric Sylveon should be used at all. I'll be honest, the reason I've never used Sylveon is because whenever I even think of using it, I just use Clefable instead. So, considering regarding cleric Sylveon, most of us are just going to use Clefable almost every time, I don't think it should be considered when regarding raising Sylveon to B-. But, I've actually got motivation to test Specs Sylv now so I'll go do that and form an opinion on where it should be placed.

Also, definitely move Celebi up - It's a good check/counter to several top-tier threats (hi Keldeo) that doesn't even give a fuck if it gets burned or whatever thanks to Natural Cure. I was originally using AV Azumarill to beat Keldeo, but I got sick of Scald burns so I switched to Celebi. And of course, let's not forget that it's pretty easy to fit on a team, thanks to its versatility that Albacore mentioned. Sure, it has its flaws (Pursuit weak) but I just don't see how it could possibly be in the same rank as Pokemon like Mega Garchomp, Kingdra, and Raikou, who just aren't as effective as Celebi is / not as easy to fit on a team.

Karxrida

On the other hand, Waterfall/Play Rough + Aqua Jet kill Bisharp outright.
Bisharp wins with SR up and a Life Orb. Or if Iron Head flinches.

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 109-129 (31.5 - 37.3%) -- 86.9% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 220-259 (63.7 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Minimum damage is 95.2% (329 HP), which is a guaranteed 2HKO with SR up.

Bisharp's can actually kill the thing or even cripple it with Knock Off if you needed an emergency Azumarill check.

Bisharp wins with SR up and a Life Orb. Or if Iron Head flinches.

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 109-129 (31.5 - 37.3%) -- 86.9% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 220-259 (63.7 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Minimum damage is 95.2% (329 HP), which is a guaranteed 2HKO with SR up.

Bisharp's can actually kill the thing or even cripple it with Knock Off if you needed an emergency Azumarill check.
That's assuming you don't take a Knock Off on the switch in. If it takes a Knock Off on the switch in, Azumarill wins regardless. If it takes any hit on the switch in, it also dies, so the best Bisharp does is to revenge kill Azumarill. And Azumarill can also switch out of Bisharp like how it could switch out of Celebi. Bisharp can cripple things with Knock Off, Celebi can do the same with Thunder Wave. Celebi takes any hit from Azumarill on the switch in, throw in a Thunder Wave, and heal up next turn. The fact that you mentioned Bisharp as a better Azumarill check than Celebi is plain false.

I have a feeling that the Celebi arguments from page 9 and earlier are going to go in circles again. So I'm gonna mention something new to prevent recycling of arguments.

Having said that, offensive Celebi is extremely useful as well. Bulky NP or Bulky Life Orb sets are extremely good in punishing normal switch ins to Celebi. The thing about offensive Celebi is that unlike many other lures, bulky offensive Celebi is still fully capable of checking a shitload of stuff with only HP investments, which mean if the opponent doesn't have something Celebi lures in, it still gets some work done.

In general, Celebi is the kind of mon that will get some work done regardless of match up, which makes it very splashable. In fact, it is so versatile that out of the 18 currently OU threats in Victim of the Week thread, it checks 15 of them with the right set (minus MZards and MPinsir), and all that without being deadweight against other teams. While it cannot check them all at once, it still can check a good handful at once, which makes it an excellent utility check.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Azu Vs Celebi isn't really the greatest of arguments for moving it up or down or showing that Celebi checks Azu, Celebi can't switch into Knock Off, so on and so on. If anything Celebi should be moved up because of its matchup against all the other bulky water types such as M-Gyarados, Keldeo, and Slowbro for example. Also for the fact Celebi is more viable or of equal viability to those in the B+ category. Hazard setter, clerical support, useful typing, doesn't get pursuit trapped due to being able to run Baton Pass, it's just an overall good mon to use.

Deleted a bunch of posts that were based on the posts of RichieTheGarchomp about Garchomp, Tangrowth, and Mamoswine. Sorry for the good posts that i deleted, but it needed to happen because the thread would look weird with a bunch of quotes to a guy whose posts are nowhere to be found.

Also, RichieTheGarchomp, take the advice of the gyus above me before posting again if you don't want your posts getting deleted. If you can't do that i suggest you just lurk more and get to know this community a bit more before posting. Your enthusiasm is definitely a good thing, but you need more knowledge before posting in this thread.

And btw, here is a small update:

Hydreigon : C ---> C-
Rotom-H: C ---> C-
Quagsire: B+ ---> B
Rhyperior: B- ---> B
Jirachi: B ---> B+
Empoleon: C- ---> C
Zapdos: B ---> B-
Umbreon: D ---> Unranked

All of those were pretty much unanimously agreed on, so i don't think there is anything to explain.

I would like to see a bit more discussion about Sylveon rising to B-, as it's something i am seriously considering.
We discussed Chansey dropping AGES ago and you said you'd do something about it, yet you haven't explained either side of it going up or down. I'll edit this post later, so could you please talk about why Chansey stayed/dropped and you forogot?

It doesnt realy matter if we move Sylveon up tbh, C+/B- at the end of the day it doesnt realy matter since both ranks are fine for it. I often find myself tempted to put Sylveon on one of my teams as a part of a defensive core cuz it beats just so much shit in this meta its unreal, AV Azu (takes a while but works), Thundy, non Sludgewave Lando-I, Kyurem-B, all 3 wall breakers, Greninja, Keldeo, Latis, every Dragon bar Zard X and more (note: it doesnt counter all of them, to some its only a check). When dismissing Healbell for HP Fire it can even dent most steel types bar Heatran. However, it has a major drawback and thats the reliance on Wish + Protect to heal. It totaly kills any momentum you might have if you switch it into something it wants to wall because you need 2+ turns to heal back up giving the opponent room to do what he wants. At the end of the day its high risk/high reward. It used to be B rank a few weeks ago and imo that was the maximum for it C+/B- is realy just a matter of preference.

ok yeah i think it's pretty obvious that most sylveon sets barring specs are pretty outclassed by clefable, but specs has been gaining popularity since most fairy resists are physically defensive so i don't really see it rising as a bad thing.

also sorry this is short but i also think mega gyara should move down since the meta isn't particularly kind to it with ferrothorn everywhere, scarf landorus-t running superpower now and also being everywhere, and honestly sometimes i feel like regular subdd gyara is better but yea guys pls discuss mega gyara so i have an incentive to post more on it :toast:

I still don't think Sylveon is completely outclassed by Clefable. Like I said before, its niche over Clefable is its special bulk.
You practically have to choose if you want a setup-check (Unaware-Clefable), a cleric who doesn't need to healbell itself (Magic Guard - Clefable) or a bulky cleric (Sylveon).
Some people also mentioned Flamethrower to not give free switches into steel-types, but my question here is: how do you want to run it? Clefable needs Aromatherapy, Wish, Protect/Softboil/Moonlight (selfhealing) and one last attacking move, most of the time Moonblast. Cleric Clefable doesn't have room for Flamethrower either. If you are really desperate you can even run HP Fire on Sylveon, but like I said before, the Cleric-set doesn't have room for that.

About the specs set: It is not really a new set and it didn't help it before to rise to B-. I don't see a metagame change that helped this set either (it can defeat Tyranitar and Mega-Garchomp though). Otherwise, it is like always so I'm not sure why it should rise now because of this set.

I think it should rise because passive Pokemon are punished in the metagame right now, and this is what it has over Chansey. I think we should really compare these two more, since the Cleric-set is actual more like Chansey's, but not passive with a better defensive and offensive typing. THIS is a change that really helped Sylveon and why it should rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)