XY OU XY Overused Team

Meet the Team

Team Building Process:
Step One:

I wanted to make a team around an unconventional Mega, that would still be viable in the current OU Meta Game. Thus I chose Mega Gyarados. With his interesting typing, above average stats, and ability to set up I knew he was the right choice.

Step Two:

Gyarados has a massive weakness to Electric(Not Mega Evolved) and is still weak to Electric even after Mega Evolution. Lando-T covers his Fighting weakness as well, and Gyarados covers his weakness to Ice. Landorus's Intimidate can also give Gyarados a chance to set up much easier not to mention he's a great Pokemon all round.

Step Three:

Realizing I needed a support Pokemon, I added Ferrothorn, along side that Ferrothorn covers Lando-T's Ice, and Water weaknesses and Landorus covers his Fighting weakness.

Step Four:

I needed a Pokemon to cover Ferrothorns Fire weakness, Heatran being the perfect fit. They cover all of each other's weaknesses except Fighting. Not to mention I needed a Stealth Rocker and a Clefable counter so he fits this role perfect.

Step Five:

After realizing I have three Pokemon weak to Fighting I knew I needed a hard counter. My team also lacked a Fast Special Sweeper, Gengar fits both these roles perfectly with his great Spa and above average Speed, with the aid of a Life Orb and access to Taunt he can perform three roles in one.

Step six:

Seeing that my team lacked a Bulky Physical Attacker, and a Fairy. I decided to add an Azumarill to my team, thus also added more resistance to Fighting. For most teams, when I have an extra slot most of the time I'd use an Azumarill when I need filler. He's has great Bulk and Atk aided by Huge Power, and fits my team very nicely.

Roles
Set up sweepers

Bulky Physical Attackers

Fast Physical Attackers

Leads

Walls

Wall Breaker:

Sets/Info

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Dragon Dance

- Ice Fang

- Earthquake

- Waterfall

Gyarados's main purpose of the team is to set up and sweep. Once Mega Evolved he loses his 4X resistance to Electric, and his weakness to Rock. On the flip side he gains weaknesses to Bug, Fairy, Fighting, and Grass. Despite his gaining of weaknesses, his stat increase upon Mega Evolution is worth it in my eyes, and if used right can do massive damage, in the situation were he's facing one of his threats to his Mega Evolution, he could Dragon Dance before Mega Evolving, then go from there. I choice Dragon Dance because it sets up Speed and Attack at the same time giving it enough Speed and Attack to sweep, after the Speed boost it out speeds non-scarfed Pokemon and it's only threat after a Dragon Dance that I know of is Scarfed Keldeo, and Scarfed Landorus-T. Keldeo with a Modest nature can OH-KO with both Focus Blast and Secret Sword. Landorus-T will drop Gyarados's attack along with being able to U-turn out for Super Effective damage and abuse Intimidate. I choice Ice Fang mainly for Lando and other Flying-types, along with Dragonite and Garchomp. I choice Earthquake because it has great coverage and 100 base power, and Mega Gyarados has access to Mold Breaker so he can Earthquake Pokemon with Levitate. Waterfall is his primary STAB move that he will mainly sweep with , and it handles Fire, Ground, and Rock types.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf

EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Earthquake

- Stone Edge

- U-turn

- Knock Off

Landorus-T is a great Physical Attacker, with a great ability-Intimidate. He also covers Gyarados's weaknesses to Fighting and Electric. I choice the Choice Scarf set to counter other Lando-Ts. Lando-T is a common switch in against Mega Gyarados, so to counter this I can switch in my own Landorus drop it's Attack and gain the edge. I choice Earthquake because it is his strongest STAB move and handles Electric, Rock, Poison, Steel, and Fire types. Some of which Gyarados are weak to. Stone edge handles Flying types and is great coverage. U-turn allows Lando to abuse Intimidate and switch out and still do damage along with having Bug coverage. Knock Off is great for switch ins and also has good coverage

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers

Ability: Iron Barbs

EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpD

Impish Nature

IVs: 0 Spe

- Gyro Ball

- Leech Seed

- Toxic

- Protect

Ferrothorn's main purpose on the team is to Toxic Stall. He also can act as a potential secondary lead aside from Gyarados. Gyro ball hits Pokemon that are fast, or that try to set up on Ferrothorn along with giving Ferrothorn something to do if he gets Taunted or encounters a Magic Bouncner. Toxic and Leech Seeds to stall and wall break. Lastly protect to stall more and recover heath from Leftovers. And his Ev spread is set for him to be able to take hits from all angles.

Heatran @ Air Balloon

Ability: Flash Fire

EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 SpD

Bold Nature

- Protect

- Lava Plume

- Stealth Rock

- Toxic

Heatran and Ferrothorn cover all of eachotheres weaknesses aside from Fighting. Heatran's Flash Fire is also great to counter those burners and gain extra strength for his Lava Plume. His Ev spread is basically the same as Ferrothorn in terms of theory. Instead of covering Spd he covers Def opposite of Ferrothorn's. I have Lava Plume as his primary STAB move. It gains a boost off Flash Fire and is the Scald of Fire moves. I have no Stealth Rocker so I decided to give him stones since I know he can set them up safely. I have Toxic along side of Protect to Toxic Stall and Wall break.

Gengar @ Life Orb

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Shadow Ball

- Substitute

- Taunt

- Focus Blast

Gengars roll is the team's Special Sweeper, he also is immune to Fighting which was a huge problem to my team with Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Mega Gyrados being weak to it. Along side his great sweeping ability he also has access to moves that can allow him to be very supportive to the team. At first I was using an Expert Belt instead of Life Orb, I wanted to abuse Substitute a lot more and didn't want to keep taking in that Life Orb Recoil. But Gengar-Like Greninja Needs a Life Orb to do any significant damage. Shadow Ball is there to hit other Ghost and Psychic Pokemon, along with hitting other types for neutral damage. I use Substitute when I feel I have a free turn to do so, Gengar is very dangerous under a Sub and can do a lot of damage to ones team. Taunt is for set up Pokemon and Hazard Setters, with Gengar's speed he can out speed most Pokemon that attempt to set up, along with almost all Hazard Setting / Support Pokemon (Mew). Focus Blast is to mainly deal with Dark, and Steel types-Dark being one of Gengar's weaknesses, and Ferrothorn being a threat to Gengar without it. Though Focus Blast also hits many other types for Super Effective and Neutral damage.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest

Ability: Huge Power

EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD

Adamant Nature

- Aqua Jet

- Waterfall

- Knock Off

- Play Rough

Azumarill's is the teams Bulky Physical Hitter. He's amazing Bulk along side his Attack stat aided by Huge Power allows him to hit hard and get hit hard! His Typing also allowing me to deal with Dark, Dragons, and Fighting-types. He also gives the team another resistance to Fighting. With 16 EVs in SpD and an Assault Vest this allows him to survive a HP Grass from Greninja, along side other Special moves that hit for Super Effective damage. Knock Off is a great move for switch ins and applys great coverage.

Play Rough is Azumarill's Primary and strongest STAB move. Waterfall again STAB move that hits hard with a base 80 Atk, 10 less than Play Rough but 10 more accuracy making Azumarill more versatile with the two. Aqua Jet for priority considering Azumarill's low Speed once he is worn down and you know he is going to faint, you can get a little bit of damage in. That is, if your not playing Healing Wish on your team.

Last edited:

dEnIsSsS

'scuse me while i kiss this guy
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi Watericekiller, I have some suggestions for you :]

- Landorus-T doesn't have to run max speed, since 232 Speed is all it needs to be faster than both Choice Scarf Excadrill and +1 Adamant Mega Charizard-X. 24 HP doesn't seem to be important, but Landorus appreciates any investment in bulk because it is a scouter with Intimidate.
- Ferrothorn should have more Special Defense and Power Whip (over Toxic) in order to handle threats such as Choice Specs Kingdra in rain, Tail Glow Manaphy and Substitute + Dragon Dance Mega Gyarados much better. Your nature is also probably wrong (Bold reduces Attack).
- Expert Belt isn't a very good item for Gengar. There are many situations that you won't get the power boost from this item, and you will probably have better results with a Life Orb. You can also try Pain Split over Taunt because this is a pretty cool move that allows your Gengar to stay alive for a longer time in a battle. This move works very nicely with Substitute and you can still beat opposing Chansey (Pain Split has 32 PP, allowing to cut Chansey's HP each time you use this move).
- Heatran works better with a Specially Defensive spread because it is your Mega Charizard-Y and Mega Gardevoir check (the Special Defense investment helps a lot even if they try to hit you with Focus Blast). 248 HP allows Heatran to have a magic leftovers number (it minimizes entry hazard damage and maximizes the Leftovers healing). You can also run 68 Speed if you want to outspeed opposing Suicune and Venusaur.

:]

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Focus Blast

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature

IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe

- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)