Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? Weird, I thought chesnaught ran drain punch and spikes now...I gguess I was wrong. Anyways, Mega Gallade wall breaks and sweeps using the same set though so getting + 2 you can preform both roles, I just think it wall breaks better personally
Oh no; Definitely run Drain Punch. It's the whole reason Chesnaught got so much more viable; you have no reason to use Hammer Arm over Drain Punch now. That's likely copypasted from an old XY set.

edit: fuckin' boltsandninjas

Yes it does. I disagree with the set above posted, use this:

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Drain Punch
- Spikes
- Spiky Shield

The main reason to use Chesnaught over any bulky Grass-type is Spikes, which are very good in this meta.
Thank you. That was the set I was looking for. Wasn't sure if it ran the same evs or not.

Hello, everyone.

I'm trying to build an OU team around my Calm Mind + Baton Pass Sylveon, and I've only gotten thus far (I won't go into super detail about the sets because they're mostly standard):

Sylveon: Calm Mind + Baton Passer
Charizard Y: Special Attacker/Wallbreaker
Greninja: All-Out Attacker
Garchomp: Offensive Stealth Rock

And then I would need two more Pokemon to fill it out. Any ideas?

I should also mention that I am trying to avoid repeating types or items as much as possible. Thanks!

Where can I find resources to help me optimize EVs according to stat benchmarks of all the 'mons in OU? Will I have to aggregate a list of benchmarks myself, or has someone done that already?

I know there's a Speed benchmark post somewhere, but it doesn't show a pokemon-by-pokemon basis, where each pokemon has a list of EV spreads that are useful for certain scenarios.

Where can I find resources to help me optimize EVs according to stat benchmarks of all the 'mons in OU? Will I have to aggregate a list of benchmarks myself, or has someone done that already?

I know there's a Speed benchmark post somewhere, but it doesn't show a pokemon-by-pokemon basis, where each pokemon has a list of EV spreads that are useful for certain scenarios.
If you mean a benchmark list for how hard common mons hit a la Doubles, to my knowledge no one has ever composed a list of that sort. We have a speed tier list in the Victory road forum that would show what mons had what speed values, but it's a little outdated since it's a pre-ORAS list.

Hello, everyone.

I'm trying to build an OU team around my Calm Mind + Baton Pass Sylveon, and I've only gotten thus far (I won't go into super detail about the sets because they're mostly standard):

Sylveon: Calm Mind + Baton Passer
Charizard Y: Special Attacker/Wallbreaker
Greninja: All-Out Attacker
Garchomp: Offensive Stealth Rock

And then I would need two more Pokemon to fill it out. Any ideas?

I should also mention that I am trying to avoid repeating types or items as much as possible. Thanks!
I think what you should add will depend on the playstyle you want to build around. If you're trying for a more balanced build, then a Dragon type and a Steel type would compliment your Sylveon (since Garchomp will likely die early if it leads). If I had to think of quick additions, Healing Wish Latias and Defog Empoleon would have good type synergy, but you may find yourself lacking enough wallbreaking power to push for wins. I'd say try and find some things that compliment Sylveon and see where they take you. Another option would be to find a wallbreaker that compliments Charizard Y and reduce the size of your defensive core. I'd give suggestions, but I suck at creating offensive cores.

Could somebody give me the/a spread for Double Dance (Tailwind+Swords Dance) Charizard X?

Searched for quite a while, but couldn't find it.

Last edited:

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Could somebody give me the/a spread for Double Dance (Tailwind+Swords Dance) Charizard X?

Searched for quite a while, but couldn't find it.
I like Adamant nature with 252 Atk 252 Speed 4 Def. Then run Tailwind / Swords Dance / Flare Blitz / Dragon Claw. Make sure you have Defog/Rapid Spin support on your team.

It's an ability though, and calculated in a separate stage than, say, the boost from a swords dance is. I seriously doubt that foul play would use both the user's and the target's abilities.
I know it's from 2 weeks ago, but because it hasn't had been properly explained, I will explain.

Foul Play is a Dark-type move that uses the target natural Attack stat, including its stat changes. Multipliera that affect this move that aren't actually stat changes are taken differently.

In other words:
-1) it uses the actual Attack stat of the Pokemon. The user natural Attack stat has no impact.
-2) If the Foul Pay target uses Attack boosting moves (examples; belly Drum, Dragon Dance, Fell Stinger, Growl, Hone Claws, Howl, Meditate, Power-up Punch, metoer Mash, Shell Smash (be warned) Shift Gear, Sowrds Dance and Work up boosts in the opponent raise Foul Play's power).
-3) If the Foul Play target is affected by Attack lowering moves, the power of foul Play is being reduced. Charm, Feather Dance, Growl (yes, and has a niche in doubles), Memento Parting Shot, Play Rough and Tickle.
-4) If the Foul Play target is affected by Swagger, the power of Foul Play is raisen.
-5) About Abilities:
-Adaptability: User (no legal Pokemon has Adaptability + STAB Foul Play).
-Analytic: User
-Contrary: Opponent
-Dark Aura: User (Yveltal learns this move,
-Defeatist: User
-Defiant: User
-Flower gift: User and allies
-Guts: User
Huge Power/Pure Power: User
-Intimidate: Opponent. (the ones who receives an Attack drop).
Moody: Opponent
-Moxie: Opponent
-Parental Bond: User
Rivalry: User
-Sap Sipper: Opponent
-Simple: Opponent.
-Tinted Lens: User.
-Toxic Boost: User
-6) Rest of factor:
Items:User
-Dread Plate/BlackGlasses: User
-Choice Band: User
-Life Orb: User
-Dark Gem: User
-Muscle Band: User
-Liechi Berry: Opponent.
Other:
-STAB Bonus: User
-Burn status: User

haunter

Banned deucer.
Where do I recommend for a banned Pokemon to b suspected for OU again? .c.
Technically you can private message the OU Council (Aldaron, McMeghan, gr8astard, MDragon and myself), however, I recommend that you build pretty strong arguments before doing so, or your request is going to be ignored.

ive seen this team on pokemonshowdown. anyone have a pastebin?
chansey / cresselia / gothitelle / quagsire / sableye / skarmory

Hey guys, my first question is am I asking this in the right place? But to answer that you'll obviously need to read the rest.

Okay, I've never been involved in competitive battling before. In XY I got a little involved in breeding and IVs, but this is the first game where I've gone full on. So, I decided my first perfect Pokemon would be a mega Sharpedo (It's moveset is Protect, Ice Fang, Crunch and Waterfall and it's HA Adamant). I really have no idea what's what in competitive Pokemon, but after reading around it seemed like Talonflame was being suggested to go with Sharpedo quite a bit, so I've got a 6IV Fletchling in my computer now. I just don't understand what makes different Pokemon good with other Pokemon. I also am looking for some help building a team. I've already decided Greninja sounds really powerful so I've got a perfect Greninja and my Latias which I caught (got this without soft resetting, didn't notice until a lot later after catching) which is 24-26/31/31/31/31/24-26 and Modest, and also caught in a Premier ball which looks really cool. So the Pokemon which I've decided for my team, without much basis is Mega Sharpedo, Talonflame, Greninja and Latias. I know there are team rating topics and things, so if this is not the place for this question I'll go and post this part in one of those.

Thanks for any replies!

Team building and getting to know the meta is pretty tough and doesn't come naturally, so don't worry if you don't get it right away :) First thing is, unless someone else is building a team for you, or you're prepared to do excessive Googling, then you're not going to be able to know what the next step is without knowing different things about the metagame.

(Practical example: Most people outside of Competitive will say that once you have all your "types" covered, you're okay, and don't double up on Pokemon types unless it's a rain team. When in reality, the only Bug type you'll really ever have to deal with is Scizor or MPinsir, maybe MHeracross, most of the Electric types you'll see are immune to Ground, doubling up on your steel types is not just okay, it's encouraged...)

Lurk around the OU forum for a bit, not just the 'Dex or the threads for Talonflame and Sharpedo (though those are useful). Reading through the viability ranking threads and the metagame discussion threads (also in the Victory Road subforum) will give you a sense of the things you have to commonly watch out for, trends, team styles, etc. And when you've got that in mind, making a team becomes much easier. And if you're confused, ask questions... providing the answer hasn't already been said a few pages back, people don't like that! :P
Anyway, as someone who's interested in both Tflame and Sharpedo, It's important to know that MSharpedo is not just a physical dark/water. It's best (and honestly only) role is a cleaner late-game, which means it gets sent in at full health when most of your opponents Pokemon are KO'd or heavily damaged, protects for a turn for the speed boost, and KOs the remaining Pokemon. Sounds ideal, right? Except for that to work you have to surgically remove every single thing that can stop a Sharpedo sweep, like walls or things with priority, and you only have one shot at sending it in. As a fast priority user with a fun stallbreaker set, Talonflame fits well there, regardless of typing :) Someone in the VR subforum was recommending a "glue" bulky Garchomp set, too, which seemed really cool. I'm using it at the moment to set rocks. (Hazards are also important.) For now, see if you can find Pokemon that can lure/take out all of Sharpedo's counters (note: this requires knowing what its counters are :P) and then see if you can make an offensive or defensive core out of them.
(Finally, team build before breeding Pokemon, unless you're breeding for fun. Otherwise you'll either waste your own time, or have a substandard team.)

(Okay, finally finally, I'm almost 90% sure that Ice Fang is a bad move to use on MSharpedo since Ice Beam does more work, and Poison Jab hits fairies. )

Hey, thanks for the reply! I'm not sure what walls are. Are checks basically counters? Ice Fang is because mega sharpedo has strong jaw. I'm not sure I understand what you were saying about Steel types, since steel does half damage to electric.

Hey, thanks for the reply! I'm not sure what walls are. Are checks basically counters? Ice Fang is because mega sharpedo has strong jaw. I'm not sure I understand what you were saying about Steel types, since steel does half damage to electric.
The steel-type part wasn't in relation to electrics; he was just putting both as part of a list
Checks are different to counters. Checks are things that can beat an opponent given they get a free switch (basically coming in without being hit by an attack, via say after one of your other pokemon has fainted or a slow u-turn), while a Counter is a pokemon that can beat another even coming in while taking an attack.
Walls are basically Pokémon with high defensive stats and qualities that can take a lot of attacks.

Check is kind of "weak" counter, it only needs ability to defeat target if given free switch in. Counter on the other hand can switch in and beat target any time(from full hp at very least).

So walls are tanks? Thanks for clearing the other point up.
Walls usually have reliable recovery that allows them to outsustain whatever they're "walling". They'll then proceed to use support moves to gain some semblance of team momentum, unless they are immediately threatened. Think Skarmory, Chansey, Hippowdon...

Tanks don't necessarily lack that same recovery but most do. They can still defend against offensive threats, however, and usually answer back with more offensive presence rather than support moves. Think Offensive M-Venusaur, Rhyperior, Landorus-T, Conkeldurr...

It's sort of a thin line, in my opinion, but there might be a more specific Smogon-tailored answer for the distinction between the roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)