Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, thanks for the answer. What are support moves?
Status moves are what the Games mostly categorize them as, though Support Moves don't have to be Status Moves. They are usually moves that don't directly harm opposing Pokemon. Stealth Rock, Defog, Wish, Aromatherapy, Rapid Spin are examples of classic Support Moves. There are also others like Toxic, Thunder Wave, Will-o-wisp, Leech Seed, and Taunt, that are a bit more offensively-oriented for Support moves.

Status moves are what the Games mostly categorize them as, though Support Moves don't have to be Status Moves. They are usually moves that don't directly harm opposing Pokemon. Stealth Rock, Defog, Wish, Aromatherapy, Rapid Spin are examples of classic Support Moves. There are also others like Toxic, Thunder Wave, Will-o-wisp, Leech Seed, and Taunt, that are a bit more offensively-oriented for Support moves.
Basically anything that can help the rest of your team do its job

By the way, Bloop__ , I'd recommend using the mentor service -- there's only so much that can be learned on the simple Q&A thread, whereas a 1-1 mentoring service from a skilled player can be much more beneficial.

Support *moves* are kind of tricky to define, but things like Spore and Encore can give opportunity to a Pokemon's teammates (you switch in with a set-up sweeper or hazard setter to abuse the turns the opponent has to waste), so they'd be supportive. Passing stats with Baton Pass is supportive. Hazard setting (or hazard removal!) is supportive, as is passing large Wishes from the likes of Chansey or Alomomommymola. Depending on the team, U-turns and Volt Switches can be supportive (a lot of Pokemon REALLY appreciate a slow switch move. Reason is as follows.)

Opponent has a strong pokemon, like Garchomp.
You have a fast Pokemon with U-turn that can't really threaten Garchomp.
You use U-turn!
(Switch to Weavile, who can take out Garchomp.)
Garchomp uses Earthquake on Weavile!
Weavile is sad. ;_;

Alternatively:
Opponent has Garchomp
You have a slow Pokemon with U-turn that can't threaten Garchomp
Garchomp uses Earthquake!
Your slow, bulky Pokemon tanks the hit.
You use U-turn!
You switch to Weavile.
Weavile is now facing Garchomp on equal footing and can KO next turn :)
(that also kind of shows the difference between a check and a counter, as has been said. If Weavile was much much bulkier, it could switch in to any of Garchomp's moves without help and KO it. But it can't, it can only do it when it is in battle without taking an attack.)

Supportive Pokemon would be a bigger deal than supportive moves, IMO. Even support Pokemon run offensive moves, lest they be tauntbait (e.g. Skarmory and Brave Bird).

EDIT: 3x Shedinja/Ninjask/Greninja'd combo!!!

Thanks a lot everybody for the help! I feel a lot more comfortable with the whole thing already. With regard to the mentor service, I've tried investigating that but couldn't find anywhere to get a mentor, so I tried joining the mentor IRC channel but everybody was asleep or something.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Thanks a lot everybody for the help! I feel a lot more comfortable with the whole thing already. With regard to the mentor service, I've tried investigating that but couldn't find anywhere to get a mentor, so I tried joining the mentor IRC channel but everybody was asleep or something.
If you need a mentor for OU myself, Albacore , and Aragorn the King are OU mentors that I know of for sure (if there's anybody else I missed feel free to mention that to me). So feel free to ask us stuff pertaining to OU or even here for any basic questions and we'll be glad to help.

If you need a mentor for OU myself, Albacore , and Aragorn the King are OU mentors that I know of for sure (if there's anybody else I missed feel free to mention that to me). So feel free to ask us stuff pertaining to OU or even here for any basic questions and we'll be glad to help.
It depends more on the type of mentoring he wants. If you want to learn the finer detail of battling, building teams, etc, an OU forum mentor might not be the first choice. If that's the case, head to the battling 101 subforum, where there are plenty of mentors who will teach you how to battle within any tier (Although the three AM mentioned are more than capable of battling and building so it shouldnt be a problem anyway, just for future reference thats where the mentor signups are).

Reactions: AM

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Why is Giratina Origin in ubers and not Ou? It really doesn't seem that powerful
Trust me as someone who has played ubers it's powerful. It has too much power and utility to be healthy for OU as do most Ubers by default and as such isn't in OU because of the traits it provides.

Why is Giratina Origin in ubers and not Ou? It really doesn't seem that powerful
Power isn't everything. Its ridiculous 150/120/120 bulk and good typing would make it an incredibly overcentralizing wall that every offensive team would have to go out of their way to pack ridiculously hard-hitting wallbreakers just to have a shot at killing a stall team, and almost nothing in OU really fits the bill without having some blatant flaw or without forfeiting your Mega spot. Its offensive stats are also reasonably high enough for it to run a freakishly bulky offensive set. As AM said there is no way that introducing it to OU would be close to healthy for the metagame.

Edit at below: I know that Altered is more defensive, but 100/100/90 offensive stats aren't necessarily bad for offensive purposes. It won't be sweeping anytime soon, but I figured it could pass as a tank. Either way the post is gone and Giratina's not coming here anytime soon.

Last edited:
150 base HP, great all-around offensive and defensive stats, nearly unresisted STABs, deep support movepool, the ability to go physical or special... even if it can't use items, it would find a place on nearly every OU team in some form.

Edit: Double ninja'd. I think Origin is the the more offensive of the forms, Sanger. Altered is the defensive one. Heck, Altered could hurt stall with it's coverage, support pool and access to Hone Claws and Calm Mind. Something like STAB / STAB / Sub / Boosting move would be tough to handle for full stall.

Last edited:
So I was doing research on mega sharpedo, and I wanted to see how it's damage caompared to mega pinsir, since they both have a boosting ability, and similar attack stats. I assumed that sharpedo hit harder due to a 50% boost from strong jaw, compared to 30% from aerialite, but I tried calcing it, since return did have higher base power compared to crunch...

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 0 HP / 0+ Def Manaphy: 226-267 (66.2 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0+ Def Manaphy: 189-223 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Kinda surprised that Sharp's high rolls barely touch Pinsir's low rolls.

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
So I was doing research on mega sharpedo, and I wanted to see how it's damage caompared to mega pinsir, since they both have a boosting ability, and similar attack stats. I assumed that sharpedo hit harder due to a 50% boost from strong jaw, compared to 30% from aerialite, but I tried calcing it, since return did have higher base power compared to crunch...

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 0 HP / 0+ Def Manaphy: 226-267 (66.2 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0+ Def Manaphy: 189-223 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Kinda surprised that Sharp's high rolls barely touch Pinsir's low rolls.
This is due to Mega Pinsir having 15 more Base Attack than Mega Sharpedo, and Return having 25 more Base Power than Crunch. This together outweighs the difference in boost from their abilities. It'd be interesting to see the damage Sharpedo would do with STAB Return and 15 more in Base Attack :O. /me shivers

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Is assault vest escadrill viable if not why and if it is what's it's set
Yes it is viable

Excadrill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD or 172 HP / 84 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yes it is viable

Excadrill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD or 172 HP / 84 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
Where did you find that? AV Excadrill is a poor set and you are much better off using the sand rush or choice scarf set.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Where did you find that? AV Excadrill is a poor set and you are much better off using the sand rush or choice scarf set.
I've seen it on one of the topics in the OU subforum a few weeks ago and remembered those EV spreads. Didn't know exactly what topic it was

I plan on using Mega Camerupt in trick room doubles, and so far, I've come up with this:

Quiet Nature
-Heat Wave
-Earth Power
-Protect

For the last slot, should I use substitute, HP Ice, or Ancient Power?

For sub, it'll be useful for spore, although, I'm not sure it's not all that useful.
For HP Ice, I love how it hits salamence and landorus-t, but it seems way to specific, as ancient power seems to get better coverage as well as more power due to sheer force.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I plan on using Mega Camerupt in trick room doubles, and so far, I've come up with this:

Quiet Nature
-Heat Wave
-Earth Power
-Protect

For the last slot, should I use substitute, HP Ice, or Ancient Power?

For sub, it'll be useful for spore, although, I'm not sure it's not all that useful.
For HP Ice, I love how it hits salamence and landorus-t, but it seems way to specific, as ancient power seems to get better coverage as well as more power due to sheer force.
Hi, this the OU subforum and questions about the doubles metagame should be asked in the doubles subforums.
Edit: nvm I got it - http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/doubles.262/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)