Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do suspect threads make my eyes bleed?

But on a serious note, is it possible to put a ten-posts-made minimum amount before posting in a suspect thread? Something to limit the bad posting by Smogon haters.
I think someone mentioned this somewhere else, but the issue is that people will just make 10 random posts in different areas to get the reqs, so we end up with a bad suspect post and 10 other meaningless posts scattered throughout Smogon. Multiply this by the number of uninformed users that tend to show up for suspect threads and we end up with a metric ton of crappy posts throughout the site.

Hello:

I'm curious on your guys' opinions of the best ability for a Crocune:

Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold
252/0/252/4/0/0

Scald
Rest
Sleep Talk
Calm Mind

I realize that right now the only legal ability is pressure - but if water absorb gets released, which do you think is the better choice? I'm also a little salty becasue if Water absorb is better it makes the 5 IV Pressure one i RNG'd in Heart gold useless.

Hello:

I'm curious on your guys' opinions of the best ability for a Crocune:

Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold
252/0/252/4/0/0

Scald
Rest
Sleep Talk
Calm Mind

I realize that right now the only legal ability is pressure - but if water absorb gets released, which do you think is the better choice? I'm also a little salty becasue if Water absorb is better it makes the 5 IV Pressure one i RNG'd in Heart gold useless.
Honestly I would say pressure is better so you PP stall. Water absorb doesnt really do anything, especially since you resist water anyway.

What is a fast poke that can check Lando-T (mostly scarfed) and birdspam? I would like to use this as a scarfed poke, as I don't have one yet. The rest of my team is:

Hazard Setter Shuckle
Bisharp
Mega Blastoise
Cleric Sylveon
Bulky offense Gourgiest-Super (I know it's gimmicky, but it fills a niche I need)

Something that punishes people trying to fish scald burns is useful.
You can just use rest to heal burns, and scald will do crap to crocune anyway so punishing them isn't a big deal

What is a fast poke that can check Lando-T (mostly scarfed) and birdspam? I would like to use this as a scarfed poke, as I don't have one yet. The rest of my team is:

Hazard Setter Shuckle
Bisharp
Mega Blastoise
Cleric Sylveon
Bulky offense Gourgiest-Super (I know it's gimmicky, but it fills a niche I need)
Scarf Raikou can do that

How many EVs does neutral-nature Latias need, if any, to OHKO Bisharp with HP Fighting? I've been toying with the idea of running it so I can bait a defog, kill it on the switch and defog afterwards.

You can just use rest to heal burns, and scald will do crap to crocune anyway so punishing them isn't a big deal
The point is discourage them from using them. As in allowing you to get something other than the water absorb pokemon out due to the other player not using that move.

But that's a gamble.

On the PSS I have seen (on rare occasions), the option to trade but not challenge a passerby to a battle (and vice versa) open. What's that about? Even when in a battle, you can still get trade requests and battle requests so why does one passerby get to block out one of those requests?

It's the first Suspect thread I am reading, and managed to see posts that were just ugh before they got deleted.

Are Suspect threads always like this?

It's the first Suspect thread I am reading, and managed to see posts that were just ugh before they got deleted.

Are Suspect threads always like this?
Actually, it is even worse.

You should watch the Youtube Videos of the people who are against the ban.

For the most part, they don't even address the issues those pokemon have and instead they say they had no problems with it or think that the format they are playing (usually Doubles or Battle Spot) is equivalent to Smogon Singles.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have a breeding question.

Right now i'm currently breeding a 6iv Ditto with a 31/31/31/x/31/31 Scyther.

the ditto has a destiny knot, and the scyther has an everstone to pass down the adamant nature.

I'm wondering what the odds to hatch another 31/31/31/x/31/31 scyther, as I have hatched probably 20 eggs and always undesired iv's.

Thank you!

the ditto has a destiny knot, and the scyther has an everstone to pass down the adamant nature.

I'm wondering what the odds to hatch another 31/31/31/x/31/31 scyther, as I have hatched probably 20 eggs and always undesired iv's.

Thank you!
Thats what the Destiny Knot is going. It takes 5 Ivs from both parents randomly and passes down to the child. W
So with your 6*31 IV Ditto and your 5*31 IV Scyther, you get at least 4*31 IV Scyther and you can even get a 6*31 IV Scyther if you breed a lot.
So 5*31 IV is nothing to be suprised about, aspecially if it is on those stats both pokemon have 31 IV.

Thank you!
Someone may need to correct me because I'm a bit rusty on stats and I may have messed up a mechanic, but let me see if I get this right.

So, with the destiny knot, you get 5 IV's inherited from the parents. We don't know which IV will come from which parent, but we know that regardless of whether 3 come from Ditto or 3 come from Scyther, we DON'T want to inherit Special Attack because that leaves the 6th IV as an undesirable value (unless you get lucky). Thus, the probability of a good egg can be defined as (1- odds of Special Attack being passed down). The odds of the Special Attack being passed down from either parent is 5/6, so you get 1-(5/6) = .167 = 16.7% chance of not inheriting Special Attack, so a 16.7% chance of getting a good egg if my math is right. In other words, one out of every 6 eggs or so should be perfect. Remember though that probability can be used to measure expected values over a long period of time. Thus, breeding 6 eggs doesn't guarantee a perfect egg. In other words, keep breeding and you'll get one sooner or later.

Theoretically, if a Pokémon were to be introduced that was broken but only due to it's signature ability or move, would said signature move or ability get banned since it affects no other Pokémon?
In other words, if Greninja was the only Pokémon who got Protean, would banning only Protean be a legitimate argument?

Theoretically, if a Pokémon were to be introduced that was broken but only due to it's signature ability or move, would said signature move or ability get banned since it affects no other Pokémon?
In other words, if Greninja was the only Pokémon who got Protean, would banning only Protean be a legitimate argument?
I believe (take this with a grain of salt because I'm not on the council or anything) the ability/move would be suspected. This mostly off people wanting to ban Drizzle instead of Politoed in gen 5.

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I want to try and get reqs for the ninja suspect, but the gxe on my main account is pretty bad (65 iirc). Would it be better to try and get reqs on a fresh alt?

Dumb question: is the suspect ladder ready? I know normally they have to reset old ratings before people start laddering, and I haven't laddered on it before so I can't tell if it's been reset yet nor did I see any official announcement that it was ready.

Dumb question: is the suspect ladder ready? I know normally they have to reset old ratings before people start laddering, and I haven't laddered on it before so I can't tell if it's been reset yet nor did I see any official announcement that it was ready.
I saw some replays marked "OU Suspect Test" in the replay list so I would assume it's ready.

EDIT: And they were from two minutes ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)