Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the goal of the ladder without Greninja? Is it just to give people a taste of a metagame without him in order to judge on the ban more accurately? I understand why he is being suspect tested.

Can someone tell me why Greninja is being suspect tested now and not when x and y first came out?
Besides not having the coverage to hit some of its former counters like Azumarill and Chansey like Eldrake mentioned, there were a lot of other powercreeps that were more suspect worthy at that time before ORAS was about to come out.

What is the goal of the ladder without Greninja? Is it just to give people a taste of a metagame without him in order to judge on the ban more accurately? I understand why he is being suspect tested.
Exactly, and after reaching the coil of 2700, you can decide from your experiece of that ladder which meta is more healthy by posting ban, not ban or abstain in the Blind Voting thread which will be up in a few weeks.

Exactly, and after reaching the coil of 2700, you can decide from your experiece of that ladder which meta is more healthy by posting ban, not ban or abstain in the Blind Voting thread which will be up in a few weeks.
Okay, thanks. So the current thread right now, where people are bolding their "ban" is just for discussion, and the "ban" has no relevance to the final decision?

Okay, thanks. So the current thread right now, where people are bolding their "ban" is just for discussion, and the "ban" has no relevance to the final decision?
yes, it is just there for discussion purposes. Nobody in that forum is affecting there the status of Greninja. After the coil is reached, the post you make in that new thread will affect Greninja's status.

Edit: Ninja'd ._.

Yeah, it's an entirely informal poll basically. No bearing on anything, just an opinion.
Okay thanks. Just wanted to make sure I don't break any of the rules. :)

yes, it is just there for discussion purposes. Nobody in that forum is affecting there the status of Greninja. After the coil is reached, the post you make in that new thread will affect Greninja's status.

Edit: Ninja'd ._.
Thanks. You could say we've all been Ninja'd tho. Hue

If Greninja is banned, which pokemon can we predict to have a spike in usage ? Or simply, which pokemon are eclipsed by Greninja in OU ? (Offensive Starmie ?)

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
If Greninja is banned, which pokemon can we predict to have a spike in usage ? Or simply, which pokemon are eclipsed by Greninja in OU ? (Offensive Starmie ?)
Mega Slowbro, Mega Metagross, Clefable and Azumarill will love when this thing is gone

I think it is too early to guess. Probobly 1-2 weeks after experiencing the suspect ladder, people will figure out what pokemon work best after Greninja is gone, so we might see a lot of pokemon people might think they are not viable and stuff.

If I had to guess which Pokemon would get a lot of momentum, I would say Mega Metagross. Of course that is only on paper and maybe it will be much easier to handle after Greninja is gone because a lot of Greninja checks will lose their purpose on your team.

Let's say Camerupt's mega evolution was scrapped. Then it was give a normal evolution called Volcamerupt. Type:Fire/Ground Stats:105hp,105attack,100defense,110sp.attack,105sp.defense,45speed ability:water absorb or sheer force. Then let's say Volcamerupt was given a mega evolution. Mega Volcamerupt Type:Fire/Ground Stats:105hp,135attack,130defense,145sp.attack,135sp.defense,20speed Ability: Water Absorb
It would now be able to learn Scald,Focus Blast, Thunderbolt,Sludge Bomb and Dark Pulse.
Would this Pokemon be put into the current Omega Ruby Alpha Sapphire Overused Tier?
I really don't know why you're asking about a hypothetical Pokemon, but everything is placed in OU initially and works its way down to lower tiers. I believe we did the same thing when Diancie was first introduced.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Let's say Camerupt's mega evolution was scrapped. Then it was give a normal evolution called Volcamerupt. Type:Fire/Ground Stats:105hp,105attack,100defense,110sp.attack,105sp.defense,45speed ability:water absorb or sheer force. Then let's say Volcamerupt was given a mega evolution. Mega Volcamerupt Type:Fire/Ground Stats:105hp,135attack,130defense,145sp.attack,135sp.defense,20speed Ability: Water Absorb
It would now be able to learn Scald,Focus Blast, Thunderbolt,Sludge Bomb and Dark Pulse.
Would this Pokemon be put into the current Omega Ruby Alpha Sapphire Overused Tier?
This is only theorymonning and not only impossible to happen but it is also very hard to guess what tier new mega's will become. Just before the ORAS OU ladder came at showdown (end october) people said Mega Swampert would be A+ and OU rank, but it's just B+ rank and not even among the best mega's in UU

Since I don't feel like waiting for the teambuilding shop to open again and I wanna try out this core, what would be some good teammates for it?

Alright, bringing you guys an incredibly good core that I'm surprised nobody has posted yet.

+

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald / Surf
- Energy Ball

Gallade-Mega (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt

As you all know, both Manaphy and Mega Gallade are excellent sweepers. However, Mega Gallade really struggles to break through common defensive Pokemon, particularly Mega Sableye, Mega Slowbro, and to some extent Unaware Clefable. Mega Gallade is such a threat to defensive or balanced teams that it basically invites Mega Sableye / Slowbro in for free, which is a great opportunity for Manaphy to setup a Tail Glow. With Rain Dance, Manaphy can avoid pesky status from these two Pokemon, in the form of Will-O-Wisp from Mega Sableye and Scald burns from Mega Slowbro. While it isnt too common, Manaphy struggles to break through Mega Venusaur, which Gallade can deal massive damage to with a STAB Zen Headbutt. While they may not have any great type synergy, they do an excellent job of breaking down each others checks and counters to allow a sweep. Give it a go :]

Edit: Thanks to Firehusky for getting me the Mega Gallade sprite :)

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Since I don't feel like waiting for the teambuilding shop to open again and I wanna try out this core, what would be some good teammates for it?
Probably missing a good amount but you can sort of fill in the blanks with these generalizations anyways.

Offensive Partners [Wall-Breakers, Sweepers, Offensive Stall-Breakers, Pursuit Trappers, Offensive Rock Setters,etc.]:
Gengar, Bisharp, Talonflame, Mamoswine, Landorus-T, Landorus-I, Thundurus, Raikou, Bisharp, Tyranitar, Weavile, Diggersby, Latios, Latias, Scizor, Kyurem-B, Garchomp, Magnezone

Defensive Partners [Pivots, Utility, Defensive Rock Setters, Walls, Defensive Stall-Breakers, etc.]:
Heatran, Ferrothorn, Rotom-W, Skarmory, Clefable, Hippowdon, Gliscor, Zapdos, Klefki, Amoonguss, Mandibuzz

A good amount of more stuff just use whatever fits your needs such as offensive partners for offensive teams or partners that fall under defensive for more balanced or semi-stall teams.

Do you mean something like making fakemons? If so, there is a community project called create a Pokemon where the smogon community creates a new Pokemon every once in a while that you could look into. They use CAP as an acronym for it.
I know about CAP. The goal of the discussion wouldn't be to create a fakemon, but to use a hypothetical average mon to judge something objectively about Pokemon. I don't know if it should go in CAP or a more general section, but every forum seems so specific so that's why I'm asking :I

Also, unrelatedly, why are Amoongus and Breloom both ranked B+ in OU Viability but two tiers apart in usage? I don't understand the definition of "viability" in the context of this. Why doesn't it correspond more with usage and sometimes even oppose usage stats (for example, Amoongus is rank B in its own tier, RU)? I can understand it not correlating exactly, but sometimes it's so oddly different and it doesn't make sense to me. It seems really qualitative and theoretical, but, when it comes to usage stats, the theoretical discussion does not always match up or even come close to the data of the theories being put to practice. Either that or I just don't understand the definition of "viability" in the context of Smogon, like I said.

Forum question -how do you put text into those orange quote-like tabs that say "click to expand" or whatever?

I'm sick and tired of some of my posts stretching over half the page.

Thanks!

I know about CAP. The goal of the discussion wouldn't be to create a fakemon, but to use a hypothetical average mon to judge something objectively about Pokemon. I don't know if it should go in CAP or a more general section, but every forum seems so specific so that's why I'm asking :I

Also, unrelatedly, why are Amoongus and Breloom both ranked B+ in OU Viability but two tiers apart in usage? I don't understand the definition of "viability" in the context of this. Why doesn't it correspond more with usage and sometimes even oppose usage stats (for example, Amoongus is rank B in its own tier, RU)? I can understand it not correlating exactly, but sometimes it's so oddly different and it doesn't make sense to me. It seems really qualitative and theoretical, but, when it comes to usage stats, the theoretical discussion does not always match up or even come close to the data of the theories being put to practice. Either that or I just don't understand the definition of "viability" in the context of Smogon, like I said.
Usage is raw facts, irrespective of whether or not loads of people have found out about a certain set's effectiveness etc...

Viability is the result of those who have amassed experience with Pokemon (even if they aren't widely used) and agreed upon that Pokemon's effectiveness.

For example, Celebi fell out of favour in terms of usage a while ago and dropped to UU. However, it's gaining momentum in the current meta as a NastyPasser and stuff. It'll take a while for the usage stats to properly update, but most high-level players agree that Celebi is sick in OU, and usage may well follow suit.

Do you mean this?
That would be
Code:
[hide][/hide]
in between those you write down what you want to hide and if you want to name it you just need to type:

Code:
[hide= random calcs][/hide]
Which would look like this:

Hey guys, is Modest worth running over Timid on Charizard-Y? I'm trying to build a primarily offensive team with Charizard-Y as a special nuke but I'm not sure whether being outsped by base 100s is worth the extra power.

How exactly does Tailwind work? Does it double the effective stat? I mean, for example, Hydreigon inside Tailwind is able to outspeed everything that is not base 165+?

I need to know how much I should effort a Modest Hydreigon to outspeed Chomp, but if the calculator is right, even at 0 EVs it can do it, unless I understood the text wrong.

Hey guys, is Modest worth running over Timid on Charizard-Y? I'm trying to build a primarily offensive team with Charizard-Y as a special nuke but I'm not sure whether being outsped by base 100s is worth the extra power.
Generally, power is worth more than Speed for wallbreakers, unless there's something specific you would need to outrun in order to be useful. In Char-Y's case, there isn't anything too important, so Modest is generally better.

How exactly does Tailwind work? Does it double the effective stat? I mean, for example, Hydreigon inside Tailwind is able to outspeed everything that is not base 165+?

I need to know how much I should effort a Modest Hydreigon to outspeed Chomp, but if the calculator is right, even at 0 EVs it can do it, unless I understood the text wrong.
Tailwind doubles the actual speed stat. Find Hydreigon's Speed, multiply it by two. That's how fast it'll be under Tailwind.

For the record, 0 Speed Hydreigon outspeeds every unboosted threat in OU. I'd EV it instead to outrun things outside of Tailwind as well. 188 is a decent starting point, since you can outrun Timid max Speed Heatran and bop it with Focus Blast or Earth Power, whichever you're running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)