XY UU Threat List

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Qwilfish

Type: Water / Poison
Base Stats: 65 HP / 95 Atk / 75 Def / 55 SpA / 55 SpD / 85 Spe
Ability: Poison Point / Swift Swim / Intimidate

Qwilfish is an underrated yet very effective physically defensive threat. Its wonderful typing offers it key resistances to Fire, Steel, and Fighting, allowing it to check and counter a myriad of common physical threats in UU. Although its stats don't look phenomenal, Intimidate makes up for this, turning Qwilfish into a tanky monster. Qwilfish also has tons of utility to offer any sort of team. Between hazards in the form of Spikes and Toxic Spikes, status in the form of Toxic and Thunder Wave, and other niche moves like Destiny Bond, Pain Split, Taunt, and Explosion, Qwilfish has plenty of options to offer a team whatever it needs. Qwilfish's decent offensive stats help prevent him from being complete set-up bait too - Waterfall and Poison Jab are both viable options for doling out damage. Because of its typing, its ability, and its diverse movepool, Qwilfish is a great physical wall in the UU metagame.

Trevenant
Type: Grass / Ghost
Base Stats: 85 HP / 110 Atk / 76 Def / 65 SpA / 82 SpD / 56 Spe
Ability: Natural Cure / Frisk / Harvest

Trevenant is currently one of the best and most unique subseeders in the UU metagame. This is in large part due to its phenomenal ability, Harvest, which when paired with a Sitrus Berry offers unfathomable - if somewhat unreliable - healing. Besides Substitute and Curse, Trevenant gets a number of moves that make him unique as a subseeder: Will-o-Wisp offers great utility and cripples physical threats, Horn Leech does very respectable damage coming off of Trevenant's high 110 Attack and heals Trevenant significantly in the process, and Curse helps wrack up damage on defensive and offensive threats. Curse is especially interesting because it goes through Substitute, allowing Trevenant to counter threats like SubCM Suicune and SubCM Cresselia. Trevenant's typing is also notable. His grass typing means he has nothing to fear from moves like Sleep Powder or Leech Seed, and his ghost typing allows him to wall choice-locked Pokémon using Fighting or Normal moves. Trevenant can also run an effective Lum Berry set; Harvest allows it to ignore status and safely Rest off damage without having to wait to wake up or switch out.

Last edited:
Guys, I've said it in the OP, but I'm going to reiterate it because I don't want it to happen frequently. Do not edit your posts, instead, make a new one with the new entry. That said, I'm incredibly impressed with the turnout of entries so far. Keep it up.

Later today (or tomorrow) I'll write my entries, and compile the finished entries in one spoiler, so I can see a final version.

Keep contributing everyone!

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Krookodile (offensive) and Escavalier are both mine.

And I think Cofagrigus should get a threat list entry since it's a neat bulky Ghost-type who can also pull off sweeps with OTR. It's a nice counter to things like Mienshao, and in general can also be annoying with Mummy and the like. It's definitely a pretty viable Pokemon that deserves a place here, just a thought.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Curse helps wrack rack up damage on defensive and offensive threats
You could also make mention of one of Trevenant's other significant use: LumHarvest, letting it absorb status (and damage) for the team and Rest it away, without needing to switch out like Natural Cure Pokemon.

Edit: Also, I want in on Chandelure and Porygon2.

Darmanitan
Type: Fire
Base Stats: 105 HP / 140 Atk / 55 Def / 30 SpA / 55 SpD / 95 Spe
Ability: Sheer Force / Zen Mode

Darmanitan is one of the most powerful attackers in the game, with Sheer Force boosting its already high Attack to astonishing levels. This makes its Flare Blitz an extremely spammable move, necessitating a bulky Fire resist on most UU teams, and even these are usually 3HKOd. Sheer Force also allows Darmanitan to use Life Orb with no drawbacks on the moves that it boosts, making Darmanitan somewhat unpredictable, as defensive checks to its Choice Scarf set can be overwhelmed by the Life Orb set and offensive checks to the Life Orb set may be outsped by the Choice Scarf set. Although Darmanitan is one-dimensional, it only needs that one dimension to lay waste to teams. What it lacks in coverage compared to other Fire-types, it more than makes up for with power, and it still has some good coverage options in Rock Slide, Earthquake, Superpower, and U-turn to gain momentum.

Type: Ice / Dragon
Base Stats: 125 HP / 130 Atk / 90 Def / 130 SpA / 90 SpD / 95 Spe
Ability: Pressure

With the highest BST in UU, it's no surprise that Kyurem is an extremely good Pokemon. Twin base 130 offenses can make it devastating on either side of the spectrum, and it has a movepool to use those stats, with access to moves such as Draco Meteor, Ice Beam, Earth Power, Iron Head, Flash Cannon, and Outrage. This allows it to be a strong wallbreaker with no true counters, but Kyurem can also run a more conservative SubRoost set that is frustrating to break and great at stalling while remaining an offensive presence. Its fantastic 125 / 90 / 90 bulk, better than many walls in the tier, means that it is very difficult to OHKO, and its Speed is good enough that it can also run a Choice Scarf set to be a good revenge killer. Whether it is holding Choice Specs, Life Orb, Leftovers, or Choice Scarf, Kyurem has the ability to fill many roles effectively.

Reserving Nidoking and Metagross.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Chandelure
Type: Ghost / Fire
Base Stats: 60 HP / 55 Atk / 90 Def / 145 SpA / 90 SpD / 80 Spe
Ability: Flash Fire / Flame Body / Infiltrator

Chandelure is one of the premier Ghost-types of the tier, and is also one of the most powerful special attackers available. Its offensive STAB combo is amazing, with its Fire-types moves hitting a wide variety of types for crazy damage, while its Shadow Balls are pretty safe to throw about. Not only that, but it has 2 immunities, 3 if Flash Fire is used as the ability of choice, giving it a good amount of switch-ins, and can deter its Fire-type brethren to using their own STAB moves recklessly, though its more situational abilties are not useless: Flame Body prevents Porygon2 from walling Chandelure and punish Pursuit users, while Infiltrator lets Chandelure continue obliterating Pokemon behind their Substitutes. Its movepool is rounded out with Energy Ball, Trick with a Choice item, Pain Split, and Memento, granting it a bit more flexibility in dealing with its opponents so as to keep them on their toes. With its sheer power and strong offensive typing, Chandelure is an potent attacking force, and is definitely a huge threat to prepare for.

Porygon2
Type: Normal
Base Stats: 85 HP / 80 Atk / 90 Def / 105 SpA / 95 SpD / 60 Spe
Ability: Trace / Download / Analytic

Porygon2 is more defensive than its evolution and is already considerably bulky on its own, but throw in Eviolite and its defenses go soaring through the roof. Combine that with its access to Recover and its lone Fighting weakness, and you have a wall that can be relied on to take several beatings. Porygon2 has great mixed bulk, letting it sit there statusing opponents with Thunder Wave, Toxic, or Discharge, while the opponent's unboosted attacks bounce off it for the most part. Trace even lets Porygon2 occasionally steal an immunity from its opponent, such as Jolteon's Volt Absorb, Chandelure's Flash Fire, and Flygon's Levitate. Alternatively, Porygon2 can use its respectable Special Attack and offensive movepool to function as a tank, with Tri Attack, Ice Beam, Shadow Ball, and Thunderbolt as its main attacking options, while Download and Analytic increase its damage output, albeit under different conditions. Porygon2 even makes for one of the best Trick Room or Gravity users in the tier, thanks in no small part to its tanking capabilities. Porygon2's combination of bulk, recovery, and lack of weaknesses make it one of the harder Pokemon to muscle past in the tier, letting opponents know that brute force isn't always the answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRC
As a note, remember EonX- to get your sprites from the location listed in the OP, instead of using the 3D images / gifs found on a multitude of sites.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sorry TRC. Gotcha covered. While I'm responding to that, here's Victini!

Victini
Type: Fire / Psychic
Base Stats: 100 HP / 100 Attack / 100 Defense / 100 Special Attack / 100 Special Defense / 100 Speed
Ability: Victory Star

Victini returns to XY UU largely unchanged from BW. This isn't a bad thing, however, as Victini has all the tools it needs to lay waste to many teams. Between strong physical sets, a mixed set, and even a fully special set, Victini is one of the more versatile offensive Pokemon in the tier. With a Choice Band equipped, only the bulkiest of resistances to V-create can even think about coming in. Even then, Victini has access to the powerful Bolt Strike move to take out bulky Water-type Pokemon such as Suicune and Slowbro that could otherwise wall Victini for days. This sheer power can also allow Victini to be an effective Choice Scarf user, and although most prefer Darmanitan for this, Victini is slightly faster and is a bit bulkier than its counterpart. To add on to this, both Choice Band and Choice Scarf sets are capable of running U-turn effectively to build or maintain offensive momentum. What separates Victini from most other Fire-types in the tier is its ability to effectively run special attacks. With a strong arsenal of special moves that includes Psychic, Focus Blast, Thunder, and Grass Knot, Victini is fully capable of catching some of its best checks off-guard and open up holes in the opposing team for a teammate to take advantage of. Whether it simply V-creates everything with a Choice Band set, tactically breaks down its checks and counters with a mixed set, or uses its sheer power to revenge kill multiple Pokemon, Victini should be one of the first Pokemon that comes to mind when building an offensive-minded team. Make sure you are prepared to face Victini, or it will show you what sheer power is really all about.

Mega Aggron and Florges are done.

Mega Aggron
Type: Steel
Base Stats: 70 HP / 140 Atk / 230 Def / 60 SpA / 80 SpD / 50 Spd
Ability: Filter

Looking at Mega Aggrons stats, it has a lot going for it. A decent HP along with massive Defense and a great ability in Filter, cutting the power of all super effective moves by 3/4. While limited by not being able to hold Leftovers, it has excellent support moves such as Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, and Roar. Due to its excellent stats and ability, Mega Aggron can act as a complete stop to Weavile, Florges, Aerodactyl, Crobat, Metagross, Roserade, and many other powerful threats in the UU metagame, due to its sheer bulk. Mega Aggron only needs 4 moveslots to work with, Iron Head, Earthquake or Thunder Wave, Roar, and Stealth Rock. Watch out for Mega Aggron, as it has the raw bulk to withstand nearly any physical attacker in the metagame while supporting its team.

Florges
Type: Fairy
Base Stats: 78 HP / 65 Atk / 68 Def / 112 SpA / 154 SpD / 75 Spd
Ability: Flower Veil / Symbiosis

Florges is one of the best special walls in the UU metagame. It has a massive Special Defense along with excellent support moves such as Wish, Aromatherapy, Rain Dance, Sunny Day, Safeguard, and Light Screen (though it lacks Reflect.) Most commonly seen running a set of Wish, Protect, Moonblast, and Aromatherapy, Florges is able to heal its teammates with Wish while healing status with Aromatherapy, and it still has a somewhat strong Moonblast, despite normally running no investment. Another key aspect of Florges is its mono-Fairy typing, granting it an immunity to Dragon and resistance to Dark, Fighting, and Bug, all very common types of attacks in UU. While its low physical Defense may seem like a very bad thing, it can still take almost any physical attack as a last resort due to typing alone, and any Steel-type can take care of its weaknesses while recieving Wish support from Florges. Be sure to bring a powerful wallbreaker capable of smashing through Florges, since you will see it often, and for good reason.

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Time for Roserade:

Roserade
Type: Grass / Poison
Base Stats: 60 HP / 70 Attack / 65 Defense / 125 Special Attack / 105 Special Defense / 90 Speed
Ability: Poison Point / Natural Cure / Technician (HA)

Roserade returns from BW UU as a Pokemon that has gained even more life. It is one of very few Pokemon to have benefited from the power drop of Hidden Power as Technician gives Roserade the strongest Hidden Power in the game. This isn't all Roserade has going for it offensively though. With strong STAB moves in Leaf Storm, Sludge Bomb, and Giga Drain, Roserade is able to deal with many defensive cores. It also makes for a great Spikes user on offensive teams as it will often force many switches to freely set up Spikes to help its team and itself. What's more is the change in breeding mechanics that can allow Roserade to simply run its twin STABs with Spikes + Sleep Powder legally, thus allowing it to incapacitate a counter for multiple turns. Base 90 Speed isn't amazing, but it is more than enough to outspeed defensive walls and slower offensive threats, such as Heracross. Thanks to its other ability, Natural Cure, Roserade also allows offensive-minded teams to have a status absorber, in particular, a switch-in to bulky Water-type Pokemon that can not only beat them, but also not be crippled by Scald. While it may face competition from Shaymin and Celebi as an offensive Grass-type in UU, Roserade should not be overlooked as it's fully capable of inflicting major damage and providing unique offensive support.

TRC , also going to take up Celebi (Offensive) and Slowbro now that I'm done with Roserade.

Arcanine
Type: Fire
Base Stats: 90 HP / 110 Attack / 80 Defense / 100 Special Attack / 80 Special Defense / 95 Speed
Ability: Intimidate / Flash Fire / Justified (Available)

When equipped with a Life Orb, Arcanine is an all-out physical attacker, with a powerful STAB option in Flare Blitz, alongside unresisted coverage in Wild Charge which hits Suicune, Milotic, and can even 2HKO a fully defensive Slowbro after an Intimidate drop, and Close Combat which can 2HKO Snorlax, Umbreon and Eviolite Porygon2 with ease. It also has access to Crunch, for troublesome Pokemon such as Chandelure and Victini, and a priority move in Extreme Speed that outspeeds all other priority moves, turning Arcanine into a potent revenge killer, dealing with speedier threats such as Mega Manectric, Crobat, Flygon, Starmie, and Scarfed opponents. It also has reliable recovery in Morning Sun, healing off Life Orb, recoil, and Stealth Rock damage for longevity. It can also run a mixed set, utilizing a respectable base 100 Special Attack to run Fire Blast or Overheat, so most physical walls can't stop it dead in it's tracks either. It also has 2 great Abilities, one putting opposing physical attackers at a disadvantage on the switch-in, and the other giving Arcanine an immunity, and a massive boost to it's already powerful STAB with prediction. Although it faces competition from Darmantian, it has a lot of advantages over it's fellow physical Fire-type attacker, and it is still a very relevant threat in XY UU.

Last edited:
ArcanineLion I don't want to put you off or anything, but there are a number of things wrong with this entry. Before I tell you what they are, first let me commend you on having good prose and a completely correct format, aside from the lack of EV tags in the "Base Stats" section. The first issue is a lack of content. You mention what it is and that is has good coverage, priority, can go mixed, abilities, which is all good. However, you need to explain about what Arcanine can do more clearly. For example, "When equipped with a Life Orb, Arcanine is an amazing all-out attacker, with a powerful STAB move in Flare Blitz, great coverage with Wild Charge to hit Water-types such as Suicune and Milotic, and Close Combat for Snorlax, Porygon2, and Rhyperior. It even has access to Crunch for the troublesome Chandelure, while its priority Extreme Speed lets Arcanine finish off speedier opponents, such as (examples). It can even use Morning Sun as reliable recovery to heal off Life Orb and possible Stealth Rock damage." Obviously you don't have to use this, but it is an example of the content required. The abilities section is nice, but then we get to the larger problem. One, this is an offensive entry, so you cannot mention its defensive roles unless you want me to add a defensive entry to be reserved (which I probably wont, as I don't think defensive Arcanine is that great when there are other ways of taking down Darm / Tini / Hera / w/e). Two, you cannot reference usage stats or dates. If you can clear these minor flaws up, then I will allow your entry.

ArcanineLion I don't want to put you off or anything, but there are a number of things wrong with this entry. Before I tell you what they are, first let me commend you on having good prose and a completely correct format, aside from the lack of EV tags in the "Base Stats" section. The first issue is a lack of content. You mention what it is and that is has good coverage, priority, can go mixed, abilities, which is all good. However, you need to explain about what Arcanine can do more clearly. For example, "When equipped with a Life Orb, Arcanine is an amazing all-out attacker, with a powerful STAB move in Flare Blitz, great coverage with Wild Charge to hit Water-types such as Suicune and Milotic, and Close Combat for Snorlax, Porygon2, and Rhyperior. It even has access to Crunch for the troublesome Chandelure, while its priority Extreme Speed lets Arcanine finish off speedier opponents, such as (examples). It can even use Morning Sun as reliable recovery to heal off Life Orb and possible Stealth Rock damage." Obviously you don't have to use this, but it is an example of the content required. The abilities section is nice, but then we get to the larger problem. One, this is an offensive entry, so you cannot mention its defensive roles unless you want me to add a defensive entry to be reserved (which I probably wont, as I don't think defensive Arcanine is that great when there are other ways of taking down Darm / Tini / Hera / w/e). Two, you cannot reference usage stats or dates. If you can clear these minor flaws up, then I will allow your entry.
Thanks for the feedback, this is my first attempt so I'm happy to hear where I went wrong. I guess I went a little too vague with my first attempt. I've made all the changes that I think were needed, hopefully it's all in order now. I removed any mention of the defensive set & usage stats, & made sure to use American spellings (I'm from the UK so utilise has an s to me lol). Although I do see it's merits, if this is purely for an offensive Analysis, I'm happy to solely focus on that.

Thanks for the feedback, this is my first attempt so I'm happy to hear where I went wrong. I guess I went a little too vague with my first attempt. I've made all the changes that I think were needed, hopefully it's all in order now. I removed any mention of the defensive set & usage stats, & made sure to use American spellings (I'm from the UK so utilise has an s to me lol). Although I do see it's merits, if this is purely for an offensive Analysis, I'm happy to solely focus on that.
This is a lot better, and with a few minor tweaks from GP during the GP stage, this is definitely what I'm looking for. Good job!

Also I use "utilise" as well but you sort of get used to American spelling once you've been here a while.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here we go!

Krookodile
Type: Ground / Dark
Base Stats: 95 HP / 117 Atk / 80 Def / 65 SpA / 70 SpD / 92 Spe
Abilities: Intimidate / Moxie / Anger Point

Krookodile's claim to fame offensively is its ability Moxie, which boosts its Attack stat every time it scores a KO. Combine this with an excellent STAB combo and good Speed to boot, and Krookodile can function as a formidable sweeper. It can run either a Choice Scarf or a Life Orb to pull off a sweep, serving as either a great revenge killer or a decent wallbreaker as well. Its access to Pursuit also makes it a good trapper as well, thanks to its good power and speed. Krookodile's physical movepool isn't too terrible, with moves such as Stone Edge, Superpower, and Aerial Ace as great coverage moves to hit common threats such as Snorlax and Chesnaught. In addition, Krookodile can also function as a bulky sweeper with Bulk Up, which also makes up for its lack of bulk. Overall, Krookodile is a very potent offensive threat in UU that should be considered when building a team.

Escavalier
Type: Bug / Steel
Base Stats: 70 HP / 135 Atk / 105 Def / 60 SpA / 105 SpD / 20 Spe
Abilities: Swarm / Shell Armor / Overcoat

Escavalier is one of the best bulky attackers in the UU metagame thanks to its combination of great bulk, power, and typing. With an Assault Vest equipped, Escavalier can take on many threats such as Florges, Roserade, and Shaymin. Its STAB Megahorn packs immense power, and Escavalier also packs Iron Head to hit Florges and several Pokemon that resist Megahorn. Escavalier isn't short on coverage options either, with its access to Drill Run to hit Steel- and Fire-types, and Knock Off to hit Ghost-types. These traits all make Escavalier a formidable offensive tank, being tough to take down while dishing out quite a bit of damage back. Thanks to Overcoat, Escavalier can also switch into Sleep Powder from Roserade. Escavalier can also focus more on its great power with a Choice Band, being so powerful that even bulky resists cannot hope to safely come in. Although its poor Speed and major weakness to Fire prevent Escavalier from rising to complete stardom, its qualities make it a great choice for a bulky attacker.

Will be taking Cofagrigus (offensive) and Machamp.

Shaymin
Type: Grass
Base Stats: 100 HP / 100 Atk / 100 Def / 100 SpA / 100 SpDef / 100 Spe
Ability: Natural Cure

Life Orb Shaymin is one of, if not the best offensive Grass-type in UU. Thanks to its signature 120 BP move, Seed Flare, Shaymin has an extremely easy time blasting through almost any Pokemon who doesn't resist Grass. Seed Flare also has a beautiful 40% chance to lower the opponent's Special Defense by 2 stages, which turns many 3HKO's into 2HKO's. Combine this with its access to Earth Power, which allows Shaymin to easily hit Steel-, Fire-, and Posion-types who would normally wall it, and you have an amazing Special Attacker on your hands. Its stats are another great thing about Shaymin; 100/100/100 bulk allows Shaymin to easily switch into even neutral hits somewhat well. Hidden Power Ice/Fire are other coverage moves Shaymin has access to, the former takes down Flying- and Dragon-types such as Flygon and Crobat, while the latter can be used to hit Steel-types who resist Earth Power such as Escavalier. Dazzling Gleam can even be used to hit one of Shaymin's best counters, Kyurem, while also hitting Dark- and Fighting-types harder. Finally, the combination of Rest + Natural Cure as well as Synthesis can keep Shaymin healthy for the duration of the match, ensuring it doesn't get worn down by entry hazards and Life Orb recoil. Overall, Shaymin is an balanced special attack that should definitely be considered by any teambuilder.

Mega-Aerodactyl
Type: Rock / Flying
Base Stats: 80 HP / 135 Atk / 85 Def / 70 SpA / 95 SpDef / 150 Spe
Ability: Tough Claws

Mega-Aerodactyl is a great revenge killer and late-game cleaner. It's massive 150 base Speed leaves it only outsped by Ninjask and certain Scarfed Pokemon in UU, making it an excellent revenge killer. Not only that, but its great 135 Attack stat and access to Tough Claws means it can clean through weakened teams with ease. Stone Edge is a STAB attack that hits almost any Pokemon who doesn't resist it for great damage. Aerial Ace is a second STAB attack, and while albeit weak, the combination of STAB + Tough Claws makes it hit surprisingly hard. It also hits Fighting-types, such as Chesnaught and Machamp, for super-effective damage. Aqua Tail is a great way for Mega Aerodactyl to get past Ground-type Pokemon, such as Nidoking and Rhyperior. Earthquake also allows Mega Aerodactyl to get past Steel-types. Overall, Mega Aerodactyl fills the role of a revenge killer and late-game cleaner quite nicely, and can be a great benefit to almost any team.

Last edited:
LightningLuxray Mention Synthesis for Shaymin, as well as Dazzling Gleam and the Pokemon it can take out with an appropriate Hidden Power (Fire and Ice).
Mentioned Hidden Power. Just wondering what Dazzling Gleam does considering most Dragon types are hit harder by Seed Flare/Hidden Power Ice (Kingdra, Flygon, and Noivern.)

EDIT: Mega Amphy is also hit harder by Earth Power

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)