XY NU ya know what really grinds my gears

YOOOOOO WHAT'S GOOD!!!!
Stormy here with another NU team I made a couple days ago that has been working pretty well for me so I decided to sit here for about an hour to type all this up and show you guys. It's just a nice, clean, solid, balanced team as you can see from the preview that basically revolves around destroying Klinklang's threats so that it can get in there and eat delicious souls. Well, let's just get into it you'll see it's great.

tfw naruto is over :'(

ANALYSIS:

Sasori (Klinklang) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Return
- Substitute

Okay, so here is the star of the show right here. Why not start with him. Alright, so I'm pretty sure the EVs are like standard from Smogon or something so everyone should be familiar with them, but I'll explain them anyway I guess. I've got 168 speed so I can outspeed scarf Pyroar after a Shift Gear and KO it with Return in the following turn after rocks ofc. Then I just threw all the rest into HP to give its subs a little extra bulk (88 gives him an odd number which is ofc helpful) and he's got max attack adamant nature so he can be sure to decimate anything that thinks it's okay to switch in. Except Seismitoad. Sasori doesn't fuck with that fat frog, but as you'll see I have plenty of checks to it so I can ensure that my man Sasori can get a sweep late game.

A little added note: it's actually very smart to switch this guy in on opposing Ferrothorn because although you can't really hurt it, you can just set up to +6 and stall it out of all of its attacks--therefore causing the opponent to get really pissed and break their computer, which in turn allows you to win the game due to timeout :]

Itachi (Archeops) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor
- Head Smash

Itachi's next, and he's here to do exactly what he did in the anime: take one for the team. Bro is one of the most reliable rock setters in the tier and has one of the fastest taunts in the game, so of course he's my dedicated lead most of the time, unless I'm facing opposing lead Archeops. Then the deal is to generally lead off with Sasori and just Gear Grind them to death as they attempt to Taunt predicting a Shift Gear. Literally works every time. But anyway, more about this poke. I've got max speed jolly ofc to outspeed most other things that want to set up hazards and taunt them as I proceed to set up my rocks and basically die. If I find that I'm at 1 HP after doing all that fun stuff, then ofc I Endeavor the opponent down before I die so I can just have another person come in and revenge them. Endeavor is generally the best move to go for unless the opponent can potentially Defog or spin, then I just go for Head Smash to basically kill myself so they can't go for either of those pathetic moves and I can switch in the appropriate counter. The IVs are just to ensure I get down to 1 HP with most attacks, and I just have max attack to give Head Smash a lot of power (it 100% OHKOs Haunter even in Defeatist range after rocks if the opponent tries to switch it in to be a smartass predicting an Endeavor, so it's pretty damn useful)

Madara (Pyroar) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Apparently it wasn't enough for Madara to destroy the ninja world; he has to come and destroy the Pokemon world too, which is just what he does. I've got Life Orb + four attacks because I just find it to be the most beneficial to me since this is my only special sweeper so I need all the coverage I can get. Plus, I don't really need will-o on this since there's a 30% burn chance from Lanturn's Scald and there's a 10% burn chance if something even touches Vileplume, so I think I'm good on the burns. I guess Unnerve is useful against pokes that have berries (man I wish this thing got a better ability but then again it wouldn't be NU anymore huh) and HP Grass is extremely helpful against Seismitoad, as it OHKOs all physically defensive forms (which is what most people run anyway) so yeah. Most toads expect it though, so what I do most of the time is just bluff that I don't have it by switching out when they switch in to my obvious fire attack and just pop em with it next time.

Kurenai (Vileplume) (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 28 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Aromatherapy
- Moonlight

Okay, so this is just standard plume. I'm pretty sure I just copied this set from smogon, so I don't even know what the EVs are really for, but I'm too lazy to really edit them in depth and they work pretty well anyway so I don't really see a need to. I just switch this thing in on fighting types and Seismitoads and everything works out right and I win. I've got Aromatherapy to just negate burns on Klinklang and Sawk, enabling them to sweep. Plus, this helps against ground types somewhat (I know I have a huge weakness to ground but it doesn't really trouble me because there aren't any fast ground types in the tier).

Kisame (Lanturn) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Confuse Ray
- Thunder Wave

Before I start talking about Kisame, I'd like to send my regards to all the computers that were broken due to this set right here. This set is basically here to annoy everyone with parafusion hax until they die or until I die. Then when that happens it's not even a problem because I can basically guarantee a free sub with Klinklang because the opponent is highly likely to experience extreme hax if they stay in against me or just switch out. The EVs are pretty standard once again lol I'm pretty sure I didn't personally edit any EVs on any poke okay. Scald is there to just get damage while my opponent is in the process of destroying my computer and Volt Switch assists in making this poke a great pivot. Lanturn's really underrated imo.

Guy (Sawk) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

I literally place this poke on every NU team that I make lol. Scarfed Sawk is one of the most reliable scarfers in the tier just due to its raw power and pretty decent speed, notably allowing it to outspeed every shell smasher in the tier so long as they don't have a positive speed nature (barring barbaracle ofc). I run Mold Breaker so that pokes like Rotom can't switch in to absorb an eq coming for a Dragalge or something. Just basically, Guy is the best and he never lets me down. There's nothing left to say.

THREATLIST:
Sawk - Banded Sawk really isn't a problem honestly unless I miss a Fire Blast on it or something, but scarf is a whole different story. If Vileplume is dead, everything just dies to eq.

Feraligatr - Not all gatrs are a problem, but Swords Dance | Aqua Jet | Ice Punch | Earthquake is very extremely scary to my team. Luckily it's not too common but after I make this I'm sure it will be.

CONCLUSION:
Ok, so that's basically it lol. Here's a pastebin to the team: http://pastebin.com/qqefDJtb
glhf!! :]

Last edited:

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey stormaggedon! Let me start off by saying that you have one pretty rad team here. However, I noticed that your team has a particular vulnerability to ground-type moves and, like you said, ice punch feraligatr. Here are some pokemon you could use to get rid of these weaknesses:

Sceptile @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]/Hidden Power [Rock]
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Sceptile is a great grass-type attacker that, with good special attack and insane speed, has any ground- or water-type trembling in their boots. However, sceptile does not fare as well against ferligatr variants that have dragon dance instead of swords dance.

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf/Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Thunderbolt/Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- U-turn

Mesprit is a pretty durable pokemon that is also capable of dishing out some damage. It has levitate to be immune to ground-type moves and is able to get rid of feraligatr with either thunderbolt or energy ball.

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Seed Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Ferroseed helps your feraligatr problem, but not really your problem with ground-type moves as much as mesprit or sceptile would. Ferroseed is usually considered the ferligatr counter unless feraligatr has superpower or something.

I hope this helped! Also remember to change 4 HP -> 4 Def/SpDef on pyroar if you decide to keep it, so it takes less damage from stealth rocks.

Thanks xzern! I'll pop in Mesprit over Pyroar and see how that works (but none of those pokes really help against Mold Breaker Sawk and that's the main problem here lol)

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
nice team stormaggedon

The main issue that I can think of with your team is that you have a suicide lead on a more balance-ish build. You probably should look into a more reliable Stealth Rock setter that will be able to keep them up during the whole match, not just in the first few turns (especially since you have no spinblocker). The quickest way to fix that without changing too much would be to go Seismitoad over Lanturn. The standard physically defensive spread will work (200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpDef with a Relaxed Nature) with Earthquake / Scald / Stealth Rock / Knock Off | Toxic. Seismitoad over Lanturn will let you keep the Electric-type immunity, give you a second Gatr check with Vileplume, etc. Oh and you can even try Grass Knot over Knock Off or Toxic to deal with Feraligatr a bit better.

If you go Seismitoad over Lanturn, I am going to suggest trying out the Stallbreaker set on Archeops, maybe even the bulkier variant. You can try something like 248 HP / 36 Atk / 224 Spe with a Jolly Nature to let Archeops outspeed Pyroar (which is all it needs) and easily switch on Fire-types to take off some pressure from Seismitoad, which is needed to handle Gatr and Electric-types. For the moveset, try Acrobatics / Roost / Taunt / Earthquake.

Small changes:
  • 176 Spe EVs on Klinklang. Just 8 more Speed EVs and this allows Klinklang to outspeed Max Speed neutral base 80s such as Mesprit and Kabutops. This also means you can outspeed Adamant Kabutops under Rain if you set up a Shift Gear.
Hope I was helpful :)

nice team stormaggedon

The main issue that I can think of with your team is that you have a suicide lead on a more balance-ish build. You probably should look into a more reliable Stealth Rock setter that will be able to keep them up during the whole match, not just in the first few turns (especially since you have no spinblocker). The quickest way to fix that without changing too much would be to go Seismitoad over Lanturn. The standard physically defensive spread will work (200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpDef with a Relaxed Nature) with Earthquake / Scald / Stealth Rock / Knock Off | Toxic. Seismitoad over Lanturn will let you keep the Electric-type immunity, give you a second Gatr check with Vileplume, etc. Oh and you can even try Grass Knot over Knock Off or Toxic to deal with Feraligatr a bit better.

If you go Seismitoad over Lanturn, I am going to suggest trying out the Stallbreaker set on Archeops, maybe even the bulkier variant. You can try something like 248 HP / 36 Atk / 224 Spe with a Jolly Nature to let Archeops outspeed Pyroar (which is all it needs) and easily switch on Fire-types to take off some pressure from Seismitoad, which is needed to handle Gatr and Electric-types. For the moveset, try Acrobatics / Roost / Taunt / Earthquake.

Small changes:
  • 176 Spe EVs on Klinklang. Just 8 more Speed EVs and this allows Klinklang to outspeed Max Speed neutral base 80s such as Mesprit and Kabutops. This also means you can outspeed Adamant Kabutops under Rain if you set up a Shift Gear.
Hope I was helpful :)
thanks man, really helpful imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)