Yanmega: Colored Glasses VS Speed Boost

I'm pretty sure Tinted Glasses just increases the power of a NVE attack(launched by Yanmega) by 1.5x. In other words, if you Air Slashed Rhyperior, Air Slash would become 1.5x as powerful....which doesn't help much against Rhyperior. Of course, it would go away upon switching, and it's not like Yanmega is very sturdy. Besides, it has excellent speed for using Speed Boost IMO...

tinted glasses basically works like this:

If Yanmega uses a move and the opponent is normally 1/4 resistant to it, this is cut to 1/2 resistance
If Yanmega uses a move and the opponent is normally 1/2 resistant to it, this becomes a nuetral hit

It only works with resisted moves so a neutral hit would not become 2 x effective.

What about pokemon with Thick Fat/Heatproof or Filter/Hard Rock?

Not that it uses HP [Fire/Ice], but would that be taken into account as the Thick Fat/Heatproof Ability may activate before Tinted Glasses, granting Tinted Glasses to work.

To answer your question-

I say the answer to this question is like choosing your nature:

Adament/Modest Nature = Adherance Scarf

Jolly/Timid Nature= Choice Band/Specs

Hence:

Speed Boost= Choice Specs

Tinted Glasses= Adherance Scarf

Megayanma makes a great Special Sweeper (at least as a Lead since it is 4x Weak to Stealth Rock), and could use the following moves quite well with:

Megayanma: @ Adherance Scarf
(Tinted Glasses)
252 Evs Special Attack, Speed =?, Hp = ?
(Modest)

Air Slash
Bug Buzz
Hidden Power [Ice]
Shadow Ball/Giga Drain/Psychic/Somersault

I doubt Psychic/U-Turn will provide much use.

Giga Drain helps against Swamperts, and Hidden Power [Ice] can handle Dragons.

I didn't use Hidden Power [Fire] for Steel Types because Bug Buzz does 135 Base Power against Steels with Tinted Glasses, which is only 5 less than a Super Effective Hidden Power [Fire].

Giga Drain is nice to handle Swampert, so you don't have to sacrifice HP [Ice] for Hp [Grass].

Shadow Ball is for Ghost and Psychic Types like Gengar and Dusknoir.

U-Turn will only be used as a filler, and because it gets Stab. There is no point in using it if your stuck with just 1 choice of a move, and your focus is Special Attacks, unless of course you are using this because Megayanma is fast & is the lead.

If Megayanma is not the lead in your team, then U-Turn is not worth it.

Psychic's only advantage over Shadow Ball (as Air Slash handles Psychic's use for attacking Fighting Types with it) is that it deals more damage to Gengar, (or if there are Weezing, Crobats, and Toxicroak around).

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The way I see it, Tinted Glasses works great with Choice Specs - you've got 500+ special attack and the only thing that can stop you is Blissey or something that 4x resists your move. As a result, it only really needs two moves - Bug Buzz and Air Slash.

Without Choice Specs, Yanmega isn't liable to be doing lots of damage with normal damage attacks, so just use Speed Boost.

Yanmega @ Wise Glasses
Modest - 252 SpAtk, 104 HP, 152 Speed
Speed Boost
- Protect
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power Ice / Giga Drain / Shadow Ball

Just a sample set there. Protect the first turn to get your Speed at 396, then "sweep" away with your three attacking moves. Life Orb might be considered as a hold item, but seeing as how Stealth Rock is so popular, that might be a bad idea. Speaking of which, this can switch in when Stealth Rock is active twice without dieing, instead dieing at the second try.

Yanmega @ Petaya Berry
Modest - 108 HP, 248 SpAtk, 152 Speed
Speed Boost
- Substitute
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power Ice / Giga Drain / Shadow Ball

Use Substitute three times to get your Petaya Berry activated. You will then have an enormous Speed stat (over 600) and thus you'll outspeed everything while hitting them remotely hard as well.

i use this as a lead:
megayanma @ focus sash
modest
252 spat. 252 speed 4 hp
tinted lens
ms:
hypnosis
air slash
bug buzz
psychic

u could go with giga drain for swampert but i like psychic for gengar or crobat..
this set worked surprisingly well.. people sometimes dont see a hypnosis or a boosted attack coming

Yanmega has to lead because of 4x SR weak, and it can't lead with only 317 speed, so Choice Specs/Wise Glasses/Whatever the hell it's called PHAILS. Weavile, Infernape, and C.Scarf Hera will outspeed it, making it a pathetic lead. I use this:

Yanmega @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
252 Sp. Atk, 204 Spd, 51 HP
Speed Boost
-Protect
-Bug Buzz
-Air Slash
-HP Ice

This Yanmega is the Anti-lead lead, if that makes any sense. Protect once with that exact speed EV to outspeed C.Scarf Hera. Air Slash is OHKO on Hera and Infernape, Buz Buzz is OHKO on Weavile, and HP Ice is OHKO on Garchomp, Salamence, and Dragonite. Steels will wall this though, but I can't think of any way for Yanmega to NOT get walled by Steels, without getting rid of HP Ice. <_< If you want Tinted Lens as an ability, you MUST have Choice Scarf, because Yanmega is too slow to lead without some form of speed boost. Might catch your opponent off guard, but you won't be KOing much.

Choice Specs Yanmega sounds good on paper, but it's too slow to be a good lead.

If you're using Yanmega, you sure as hell have a spinner. Plus, he's immune to EQ and laughs off practically every fighting attack. And C-Scarf 'Cross? You figure you're switching Yanmega into 'Cross if you predict either Megahorn or Close Combat. They're not going to expect Yanmega until they actually see Yanmega. Megahorn is a 3HKO. Close Combat is 5HKO. Those calcs assume 62HP EVs(which you have available to you if you're running Speed Boost) and don't take Lefties into account, as well as using CScarf 'Cross. Again, if you can keep the Stealth Rocks away(or keep Yanmega in), you're golden. Of course, I think this guy absolutely shouldn't lead without Protect and should try to take advantage of Hypnosis(because 'Cross isn't going to stay in on Yanmega anyway). He may be bug/flying, but he's a lot sturdier than 'Jask and he does have some commonly available opportunities to switch in, especially against CBers and CSpecsers who get locked into attacks that Yanmega shrugs off. I favor Speed Boost on him because he has good speed for it and really kinda needs the boost.

You guys are probably right about Hypnosis, I forgot about that.

My Yanmega sure is going to miss HP Ice, though.

i use this as a lead:
megayanma @ focus sash
modest
252 spat. 252 speed 4 hp
tinted lens
ms:
hypnosis
air slash
bug buzz
psychic

u could go with giga drain for swampert but i like psychic for gengar or crobat..
this set worked surprisingly well.. people sometimes dont see a hypnosis or a boosted attack coming
Actually giga drain would be alot more useful because swampert is way more OU than gengar and crobat

Yanmega @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
252 Sp. Atk, 204 Spd, 51 HP
Speed Boost
-Protect
-Bug Buzz
-Air Slash
-HP Ice

This Yanmega is the Anti-lead lead, if that makes any sense. Protect once with that exact speed EV to outspeed C.Scarf Hera. Air Slash is OHKO on Hera and Infernape, Buz Buzz is OHKO on Weavile, and HP Ice is OHKO on Garchomp, Salamence, and Dragonite.
I like it! I just wish he was as cool looking as Scyther... a good option for Wi-Fi would be Giga Drain over HP Ice for Swampert Leads...

Edit: nevermind the fact that this was already posted 2 hours ago by someone else... I really need to stop leaving my browser open this long.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)