ORAS OU Yay for Birdspam

Hey Smogon! Lately I've been somewhat bored of the OU metagame, and decided to use the infamous BirdSpam core Staraptor and Talonflame core again. Seeing how Rotom-Wash and Heatran limited the ability of the BirdSpamming technique to work, as well as Pokemon such as Ferrothorn and TankChomp, I decided to use Mixed Mega Sceptile, which could deal with the abformentioned Pokemon quite well. All three of the previous Pokemon enjoy being switched in with no damage, as well as no BirdSpam counter of my own, I decided to invest in Rotom-Wash to help with various pivots. BirdSpam, as well as Sceptile, perform well with hazards, leading me to choose Heatran - it provides another solid BirdSpam check, as well as provides Stealth Rock for the team. Finally, hazards on my side are detrimental as well, leading me to choose Latios as my Defogger of choice, as it grants me a somewhat solid switch into Keldeo and Thundurus.

Talonflame (M) @

Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Talonflame is part one of the BirdSpam core, possessing the ability to fire off priority Brave Birds everywhere. Combined with Staraptor, Talonflame is able to whittle down opposing Pokemon rather nicely. Talonflame is able to deal with steels a little more reliably because of the fact that it isn't locked into a move, taking pressure off Staraptor. My teammates generally will inflict enough residual damage for Talonflame to clean up the game, and especially when Swords Dance is used on a predicted switch or move. Talonflame is also one of the few reliable Keldeo checks that I have, making it necessary for me to keep Talonflame until the endgame for a majority of the time. Moveset is pretty standard: Swords Dance for boosting, Brave Bird to abuse Gale Wings, Flare Blitz for STAB and hitting Steels, and Roost to gain all that HP back.

Staraptor (F) @

Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Staraptor's wallbreaking capabilities are incredible. It is able to dent so many defensive Pokemon, leaving holes so Talonflame and Sceptile can clean up the opposing team due to their naturally high speed stats. Common switchins to physical Pokemon, such as Garchomp, Ferrothorn, Rotom-Wash, Landorus-Therian, and Slowbro take over half from all of Staraptor's attacks. Heatran is usually 2HKOed on the switch, especially after Stealth Rocks have gone up. Although Pokemon such as Skarmory are still not hurt too badly by Staraptor, a safe U-turn or Close Combat will be helpful in the long run. However, I don't really find myself using U-turn too much, as useful as the move is. I was considering running Quick Attack in the slot in order to pick off weakened Pokemon without resorting to recoil too early on in the game. I know that Adamant is clearly superior, but sometimes I really feel like Jolly would be useful against those Charizard speed ties, but Adamant has so much more sheer power that I'd miss.

Sceptile (M) @

Ability: Overgrow -> Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]

If Talonflame and Staraptor don't hit something on the switch, they'll likely be forced out due to an incoming Pokemon, such as Raikou, Rotom-Wash, Garchomp, Heatran - all Pokemon that can prove themselves to be a nuisance against BirdSpam. Mega Sceptile solves quite a few of these problems because of its typing, as well as having Lightning Rod. Opponents will be wary of using Volt Switch because a boosted Sceptile is extremely dangerous to face, especially when the opponent isn't running anything that can deal with Sceptile's blistering Speed. Earthquake nails Heatran after a bit of residual damage and Stealth Rock damage. However, Heatran generally switches into Sceptile's anticipated STAB moves, making it easier for Sceptile to eliminate it. Hidden Power Fire is another asset this Sceptile can put into great use. Most Pokemon that are hurt by it, such as Ferrothorn, Scizor, and other Steel types, predict a switch out and set up hazards and Swords Dance / U-turn, respectively, allowing Sceptile to stay in to get a kill.
Since Sceptile is extremely fast, I've debated on shifting its EV spread around so that it would outspeed Mega Lopunny, the fastest Pokemon that most players in the OU metagame use: 80 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe. However, the problem I have is that Sceptile before Mega Evolving needs all the speed it can get to outspeed Pokemon such as Starmie, as I'm not always going to get a free mega evolution off.

Rotom-Wash @

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

Rotom-Wash is one Pokemon that helps in dealing with opposing BirdSpam, and can deal with a myriad of other threats by neutralizing them with burns, providing additional residual damage for Talonflame to sweep. Rotom also provides a slow Volt Switch to be able to bring in Sceptile, Talonflame, or Staraptor in safely. 30 Speed IVs are run to "outslow" opposing Rotom-Washes when needed, and 0 Attack is obviously for minimization of confusion and Foul Play damage. Rotom-Wash also can survive most Attacks thrown at it and can Pain Split to regain a good amount of HP, weakening it further for Talonflame and Sceptile. Rotom-Wash is also important for dealing with Azumarill, as a majority of my team cannot switch into it, other than Mega Sceptile switching into Aqua Jet.

Heatran (F) @

Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Heatran provides a secondary response to BirdSpam, as well as setting up Stealth Rock for the team. Stealth Rock is quite important for Staraptor in particular, as a few potential OHKOs and 2HKOs turn into OHKOs, such as standard defensive Rotom-Wash. Stealth Rock also punishes the switches that BirdSpam encourages. I've chosen to run Toxic over Earth Power because I do have Latios, Rotom-Wash, and Sceptile to deal with opposing Heatran, and Toxic helps in whittling down opposing Talonflames, a situation I find myself in far too many times. Toxic also punishes defensive walls better than a burn would, which also justifies why I use it. Combined with Protect, it'll stack.
Heatran is also one of the only ways that can deal with Mega Sableye on this team, which is a problem. I would need to switch into Heatran predicting the Will-O-Wisp, then predicting a Calm Mind or some other move, switch out into Staraptor to hopefully knock it out with a Choice Banded Brave Bird.

Latios @

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Defog
- Recover
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Because birds are hurt by rocks that they can't just fly out of and avoid, Latios is here to Defog them away. Latios gives me a decent check to Keldeo, which, if Specs, can deal a load of damage to my team. Scarf is manageable. It can also check Thundurus as well, as Sceptile cannot come into it directly before Mega Evolving. Sceptile can also not afford to take an Hidden Power Ice, while Latios can.
IVs allow me to take 29 HP from Life Orb recoil, giving me one extra Life Orb hit (if I choose never to use Recover, of course).
Latios is the Pokemon I'm most willing to replace, I really only chose it for the Defog. It just adds onto the Weavile weakness I have right now.

Threats:
: I don't have too much for this thing - I just have to let it deal massive amounts of damage to something and revenge it with Talonflame. However, if I predict correctly, and Swords Dance on the switch...
: Sand Rush Excadrill is scary to face. I have to be reliant on Rotom-Wash to wall it, and Rotom-Wash gets worn down quite quickly. Also, Scarfed Mold Breaker Excadrill also poses a few problems, as with the proper predictions, it can seriously dent my team. Rock Slide for the birdies, Iron Head for Sceptile, and Earthquake for everything else.

: I cannot switch into this thing safely at all. Best I can do is sack something to revenge it with Sceptile. However, Rock Polish sets can completely destroy me if it's not weakened to Brave Bird range from Talonflame.

: Dragon Dance results in me crying. I usually need get up Rocks ASAP or to Pain Split on the the Dragon Claw and hope I revenge with Talonflame.

: Like Diancie, I cannot switch into this thing. I have to sack something to bring in one of the birds to revenge it. However, Choice Scarf sets are infinitely more manageable than Life Orb ones.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Hey there solid team, but it could use a few changes (Sorry if this rate sounds short but there isn't much to fix). Staraptor seems fine on your team but I would use Choice Scarf instead of Choice Band as this will make Staraptor a faster attacker outspeeding Mega Lopunny, but can also help outspeed Scarf Hoopa-Unbound so you can revenge kill it with a U-Turn. While looking at your threat list I noticed that Azumarill can pretty much check all of them. I suggest trying Choice Band Azumarill as this will wall break many Pokemon helping Talonflame and/or Mega Sceptile sweep/clean the game, or if you want you could use Belly Drum Azumarill to sweep teams. Azumarill will also give a much better check to Mega Sableye which seems to be a pain for your team, and you have Heatran to tank up hits from Talonflame. Lastly you can try out Earth Power over Protect on Heatran as lets you able to attack opposing Heatran doing massive damage or you can try Stone Edge for any kind of Talonflame. I hoped I helped, have a nice day ^_^

Final Changes
Choice Scarf>Choice Band
>

Earth Power/Stone Edge>Protect

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Hey there solid team, but it could use a few changes (Sorry if this rate sounds short but there isn't much to fix). Staraptor seems fine on your team but I would use Choice Scarf instead of Choice Band as this will make Staraptor a faster attacker outspeeding Mega Lopunny, but can also help outspeed Scarf Hoopa-Unbound so you can revenge kill it with a U-Turn. While looking at your threat list I noticed that Azumarill can pretty much check all of them. I suggest trying Choice Band Azumarill as this will wall break many Pokemon helping Talonflame and/or Mega Sceptile sweep/clean the game, or if you want you could use Belly Drum Azumarill to sweep teams. Azumarill will also give a much better check to Mega Sableye which seems to be a pain for your team, and you have Heatran to tank up hits from Talonflame. Lastly you can try out Earth Power over Protect on Heatran as lets you able to attack opposing Heatran doing massive damage or you can try Stone Edge for any kind of Talonflame. I hoped I helped, have a nice day ^_^

Final Changes
Choice Scarf>Choice Band
>

Earth Power/Stone Edge>Protect

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
Azumarill was definitely a great replacement over Rotom-Wash! It added a great offensive pressure on opposing teams that my team really needed.

As for the Choice Scarf recommendation, Choice Bnad just offers so much more immediate power, as well as having a surprise factor in denting Pokemon such as Rotom-W, is too good to pass up. I feel that my Pokemon are fast enough without the need for a Scarfer anyways.

Protect and EP/Stone Edge so far have both been working find for me, although Stone Edge is proving to be more useful in the long run as many people leave in their Talonflames to set up on Heatran.

Hello,nice team here but it have many flaws i will try to fix them

• Weak to Zard-X/Altaria
  • Weak to DarkSpam(Mainly Bisharp which is the biggest threat to birdspam team).
You should change Talonflame ev for 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe which will allow you outspeed 115 Bs (Thundurus-I/Raikou mainly due to their resistence to Brave Bird) and hitting them with Flare Blitz.
Using Garchomp over your Heatran will allow you to have a stealth rocker which can check DarkSpam(mainly Bisharp) which is pretty good.
The problem now is how to handle Zard-X ? the answer will be to use T-Wave over WoW on your Rotom-W which allow to have a better speed control on him.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Outspeed Jolly Bisharp

Rotom-W (Set)
Heatran >>>
Garchomp

Last edited:
Hello,it doesn't look like a bad team at a first glance but it has many flaws :

• Weak to Zard-X/Altaria
  • Weak to DarkSpam(Mainly Bisharp which is the biggest threat to birdspam team).
You should change Talonflame ev for 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe which will allow you outspeed 115 Bs (Thundurus-I/Raikou mainly due to their resistence to Brave Bird) and hitting them with Flare Blitz.
I'd recommend to use Raikou over Rotom-W since he can check Electric types and still check Talonflame.Fast volt switch allow you to gain a very fast momentum which is pretty good in offensive teams.
Using Garchomp over your Heatran will allow you to have a stealth rocker which can check DarkSpam(mainly Bisharp) which is pretty good.
The problem now is how to handle Zard-X/Weavile ? the answer will be to use Klefki which pair well with Chomp.Its ability Prankster allow him to have a priority one status moves(Toxic/T-Wave/Magnet Rise) which will allow you to t-wave Zard-X/Altaria,it will also give you a better check to Lati@s.
You don't need entry hazard remover (i think) since you are using hyper offense.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Outspeed Jolly Bisharp

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpA / 176 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Magnet Rise
- Thunder Wave
- Dazzling Gleam

2HKO 252 Hp/0 SpeDef M-Sableye

Rotom-W >>>
Raikou
Heatran >>>
Garchomp
Latios >>>
Klefki
I find the extra Speed on Talonflame useful against opposing Talonflames, as a good majority of SD Talonflames are running max speed. However, you are right in seeing DarkSpam potentially being an issue. I'll test out your suggestions whenever I get the chance!

Hazard removal is pretty key to a birdspam team...... lol
I agree with the change to Garchomp to help with darks and an answer to le birds, max spe on Talon is good cuz losing a speed-tie to fit a couple extra ev's in bulk is p lame.
I'd change the nature on that Raptor to jolly, band already gives it ridiculous power outspeeding neutral natured 100 spe pokes is more favorable and speed tying with the + natured 100's.
nice team mayn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)