Gen 3 Yet another attempt at using Shedinja

Using teams where it takes one turn to be completely screwed over is so exhilarating. And very, very stressful.

A UU team that revolves around Shedinja. Note that this team is meant for the OU Metagame.

Omastar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 142 Spd / 116 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance
- Spikes
- Surf

I never really liked Omastar as a lead, but its the best lead in my team. It has a shitload of responsibility on the team (second only to Vileplume): stopping Snorlax, laying down Spikes, getting rid of Sandstorm, AND is this team's most dangerous sweeper. Best bet against Weezing as well. 181 Speed to beat no speed base 70's and base 115's in the rain.

Vileplume (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 244 HP / 38 Atk / 228 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Aromatherapy
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb

I don't know if this team's actually good, or if its just because I use Vileplume. By far the most important part of my team, this thing supports the team like a champ. Leech Seed is the only healing move on my team, and it is vital to keeping this team in the game and allows for switch-ins against Waters. Walls HP Grass Electrics, Sceptile, and drains the hell out of Blissey (which should be switching in a lot with double Rain Dancers). Sludge Bomb is a must against Raikou and Zapdos, while HP Fire is chosen over Giga Drain to give Plume a chance against Gengar and Maggy, both of which are trouble to my team.

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 192 Def / 10 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Hi Jump Kick
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Rapid Spin

Spinner that doubles as a Ttar counter. A Hitmontop without Bulk Up + Hi Jump Kick won't be threatening anything. Hidden Power Ghost to nail nasty spinblockers and, to a lesser extent, Psychics. Helps wall Fighters and Snorlax.

Mantine (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 38 Def / 44 Spd / 176 SAtk
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Toxic

Switches in on Waters to scout for Toxic. Laughs at Fire attacks. Rids Sandstorm. Offensively oriented because there's a lack of offense on this team, though having so little Defense can backfire.

Solrock @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 156 HP / 188 Atk / 156 Def / 10 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Reflect
- Rock Slide

Another key player in this team. It counters non-special Mence and is my only hope against Gyara, and Reflect is crucial in keeping the rest of the team alive. Heavy investment in Attack because Rock Slide off of less than 300 Attack is pitiful. Explosion is always nice.

Shedinja @ Choice Band
Trait: Wonder Guard
EVs: 1 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 1 SAtk / 1 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Shadow Ball
- Silver Wind

Finally, the thing that made me butcher the rest of the team. Its most important role is beating Metagoss and Waters, namely Suicune and Starmie. Can also beat Electrics, though that's much riskier. Baton Pass is a must for scouting counters, and if the opponent's smart enough to not switch their counter in, things get ugly. Or if they just predict a switch to Sheddy and send in Ttar that turn.

The strategy of this team is to use Shedinja to force enough switches onto spikes to wear the opponent down. Strategy is a bit flawed though because as you can see, if this team loses one Pokemon, the rest is bound to topple over very quickly. Has no answer to CM/Psychic/Fire Punch/HP Grass Zam, and has trouble with any type of Zam in general. Rev/Flail weakness, BP weakness, HP Fire Maggy weakness, etc. etc.

So... what's your guys' opinions?

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
Have you considered Triple Kick for Sub Tyranitars? Furthermore, is there any way you could work in Wish to keep Top alive? Rest would be optimal, but, as you said, Top without Bulk Up won't be threatening anything.

Mantine seems like a burden for your team, rather than a blessing. You could try and add a sunny day fire IMO if you want some offense and more fire protection, but you then have a bit of an opening against Swampert if it has Toxic (unlikely).

This team seems like it's trying hard to find a balance between defense and offense in order to counter common OU strategies. You might end up having to focus more on either or. For example, you could use mixed movesets with Explosion (Electrode and Shiftry come to mind) to speed up the game and open holes in the opponent's defense, Or you could do things like bite Hitmontop's offensive bullet and use Rest over Bulk Up for a more defensive game. This really is a hard team to construct and have it revolve around Shedinja.

I did consider Triple Kick, but with only 60 BP with pathetic accuracy and the fact that sub Tyranitars aren't much of a threat I didn't use it. Bulk Up is mandatory to beat Curselax and Heracross.

I guess Hypno would fare better than Mantine, allowing for Wish, dual screens, and the ability to wall special sweepers with ease. I'll test it out and see if the benefits outweigh the fact Hypno's a total ass and Mantine's the shit to use :P

Umby

is a Contributor Alumnus
We all know Keckleon is much more fun as a special tank, silly.

I personally don't like shedinja at all, sure he has the best ability in the game, but he is so very fragile, status, sandstorm, any wrong move and he is toast. I prefer more stable pokemon rather than relying on luck. I suppose this team is okay though, there is probably better things to use from UU though.

Umby

is a Contributor Alumnus
There are, but people like to make teams in an attempt to make certain Pokemon work for them. It's a challenge that exhibits their team building ability to the fullest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)