1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Your Pre-Competitive "Strategy"

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by ghana.7, Oct 28, 2013.

1. chronomancy

chronomancy

When I first started pokemon with Emerald I'd just take my 6 favorite pokemon I could find and slap 4 decently powered attacking moves onto them, level grind them for hours upon hours, then blaze through the game.
  2. JXDK

JXDK

For me it was basically four attacks all the way.
    I knew nothing about status and stat boosts.
    I also did not know about priority so I always deleted Quick Attack from my pokes ASAP.
    My first Lvl 100 was Joltean in RBY. I grinded against E4 many many times...
  3. 8-BIT Luster

8-BIT Luster Completely Unviable

Four attacks. I just found Pokemon I thought looked cool.
    I knew nothing about viability, explaining why Mightyena was my "ace".
    I'd also just slap some strong moves on Groudon and plow through the E4.
  4. Hulavuta

Hulavuta looking for a guarantee
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

I was about to bump this thread but I guess someone else already did :P

Got a blast from the past last night when I was in Super Training and happened to bring up my Venusaur (EV trained in Diamond, transferred to White 2, and then to Y) that I EV trained back in 2012 before I really knew how to make an efficient EV spread on a Pokemon. Apparently, I just gave him 100 EVs in every stat except for attack.

(I need some reset bags)
  5. nerd

nerd
    is an Administratoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
    Administrator

I pretty much did the same thing in RSE to the Pokemon I trained for the frontier. You likely just force-fed it 10 of each vitamin like I did. :pirate:
  6. ogasian

ogasian

In Platinum, my "Strategy" was to train my starter to insane levels (Torterra) then crush all my enemies :pimp:. I also decided that Starly was a fucking beast for finishing off a Skunktank with Quick Attack. By the time I got to the ice gym, I had like 4 level twenties and two level sixties. Needless to say, my Torterra and Starraptor werent faring too well vs the ice gym. After victory road it was - Catch a gabite then get a Garchomp. GG e4 :toast:
    Empoleon_master likes this.
  7. Hulavuta

Hulavuta looking for a guarantee
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Now that you mention it, I think that is what I did.
  8. Shadetta

Shadetta

The worst thing that I remember doing was teaching my Aggron Fire Blast/Surf/etc in Sapphire just because it could use them. I didn't even know that its special attack stat was abysmal. I also didn't believe in using boosting moves at all.
  9. DarkMaelstrom

DarkMaelstrom

Oh, this thread is amazing. I have to say.
    Anyway, I basically knew nothing about Physical or Special moves and how they corresponded to stats...or natures, or status moves, or basically anything vital to competitive play. The first time I played FireRed was hilarious looking back on it. My Blastoise was basically 40 levels higher than everything else I had on my team, and it had a moveset something like Surf/Skull Bash/Hyper Beam/Bite. Then I had a Jolteon with Double Kick/Pin Missile/Thunder/Quick Attack. I basically caught whatever the crap looked cool, so I ended up with about 3 Water-types, Pidgeotto (It never actually evolved since I basically spammed Blastoise and Jolteon all the time), Jolteon, and a random Weezing with Self-Destruct...and I actually used the move consistently. Why, I'm not sure.
    Platinum wasn't much better. I had a Machamp with DynamicPunch/Strength/Fire Blast/Hyper Beam. I didn't realize that it had No Guard, so because of it I basically taught DynamicPunch to everything that could learn it because I thought it was the most amazing move ever. Needless to say that when I went on Serebii I was rather disappointed to find that its accuracy was 50. Unlike a lot of people, I never really taught HMs to my main Pokes (Except Wailord which had like Surf/Waterfall/Dive/Ice Beam) and was furious when my brother taught my Palkia Rock Smash and Cut. I would usually catch a Bidoof or some random crap and teach it all the HMs.
    I also came up with what I thought were genius strategies and wrote an entire Word document with what I thought were the best strategies for Pokemon. Unfortunately, that was on my old Netbook which is now fried, otherwise I would copy and paste that entire document in. I basically got coverage moves for EVERYTHING, ideally moves that would hit stuff that the Pokemon was weak to (Hence my Empoleon with Earthquake and Electric-resist berry). I had some ridiculous stuff like Dusknoir with Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse/Psychic and Aggron with basically all Special moves. Needless to say I was incredibly confused when everything in the Battle Frontier outsped my Pokemon. It's so hilarious now that I think back on it...but they were the good ol' days.
  10. Petrico94

Petrico94

One day I wandered into what I think was an uber game with my untrained Diamond team with HMs scattered across.
    Abomasnow (cause I thought Snover was cute) with rain dance and water pulse.
    Lucario with Rock climb, aura sphere and dark pulse.
    Floatzel with Blizzard, Dig and Surf (if only I knew his true potential).
    Luxray with two bite attacks, thunder and discharge, a mixed attacker it might not be that bad.
    Staraptor, probably very close to what you would see today except it had Fly.
    and Torterra cause I'm a Turtwig guy. I think it had leaf storm, earthquake and crunch.

Yeah I wasn't thinking of an actual strategy before I started learning competitive.
  11. Spidy

Spidy

i remember my team on red
    charizard
    venusaur
    blastoise
    articuno
    zapdos
    moltres

only set i can remember is charizards
    ember
    flame thrower
    fire spin
    fire blast

ya i was pro
    Empoleon_master likes this.
  12. TORFdot0

TORFdot0

Oh, sheesh how embarassing. Ok I'll go.

In Pokemon Emerald I thought I came up with the best Battle Dome doubles strat ever. Rain Dance Plusle and Helping Hand Minum and a Gyarados in the back with Flamethrower, Ice beam, Thunder, Hyper Beam (it was a jolly Gyarados too). At that time I didn't know about EV training but I thought route 119 (i think, the one North of Lavaridge and East of Fallarbor) was glitched because I noticed my pokemon where gaining 20+ SpA on level up while I was training while collecting ashes. I did all my training there (and in firered against the man with the 3 seakings north of the mt ember hot spring)

After that experience I thought the battle frontier was unfair when I couldn't get past the 5 consecutive tourney (Which ever one was the one with the Brain)
  13. Mulan15262

Mulan15262

In BW (my first game), I had Fusion Flare/V-Create/Fusion Bolt/Psychic Victini and a Haze/Dark Void/Nightmare/Shadow Ball Darkrai, with a Brick Break/Flare Blitz/Head Smash/Blast Burn Pignite. A trio to handle the E4 easily for me. When I replaced Nightmare on my Darkrai with a different move, my friend yelled at me for being dumb and convinced me to re-teach it (yes, it was the same friend that taught me EVs and IVs). Later, I had Brave Genesect with Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Bug Buzz and a Choice Scarf. The Genesect was my first level 100, too.
  14. Arhops

Arhops turn the radio up LOUD !

My strategy in every game after emerald is have a decent team and then have one guy who can set up and sweep just about everything. In 4th gen I used a Gyarados with: Dragon Dance, Earthquake, Waterfall, and Surf. Then in 5th gen I used a Volcarona with: Quiver Dance, Heat Wave, Bug Buzz, and Silver Wind. Also I once trained a Blissey with ice beam because I couldn't get pass Dragonites. >.<
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  15. Dododoggy

Dododoggy

I used to have a torterra with Hyper beam,Frenzy Plant,Leaf storm and absorb. If only I knew. ._.
  16. birdcrest

birdcrest

I used 4 attacking moves on every Pokemon i had usually giving them 4 coverage moves and always paying attention to stats.
    Usually.
    Vanilluxe
    Icy Wind
    Ice Beam
    Blizzard
    Sheer Cold
    But most of the time: This is a starter, but…
    Samurott
    Hydro Cannon
    Megahorn
    Revenge
    False Swipe/Slash(depending what I'm doing)
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  17. Lord Ghetsis

Lord Ghetsis

Offtopic:the no starters rule is broken so often now
    Back OT:
    Black 2. Used a special Toxicroak and used Klinklang without Shift Gear. Thought Zap Cannon was reliable enough to KO anything.
  18. Memoric

Memoric dream about what we could've been
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Doubles Guardian

Hmm, my strategy for Emerald during in-game runs is like this:

1. Get a Ninjask
    2. Swords Dance
    3. Swords Dance
    4. Baton Pass / Attack
    5. ???
    6. Profit!

Yeah I sucked.
  19. theshinymew64

theshinymew64

During my first ever Pokemon playthrough (of SoulSilver), I thought that Hyper Beam Alakazam was the best thing ever.
  20. BaffleBlend

BaffleBlend

Hyper beams
    Hyper beams EVERYWHERE

And not only did I find myself needing four attacks, I needed four STAB attacks

The only reason I ever even beat any of the games at all is buying hundreds upon hundreds of Lemonades. :p
  21. shaymin

shaymin the snow white soul; effervescence
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I used to think status moves were a complete waste of time, and by "status" I mean anything that isn't an attacking move--Swords Dance, Thunder Wave, anything like those I found quite frankly frivolous and preferred to go all out towards my opponent. I honesty think that was my greatest mistake, but I can't remember anything else that I did that was really silly.
  22. Spoderman

Spoderman

I went through all of Pokemon Diamond using an Infernape, called (Cringe) Cooly, that knew the moves: Ember, Flamewheel, Close Combat and Rock Smash ( I knew this move was terrible but I had no idea what a move deleter was.) I used Flame Wheel and ember because of a few reasons:1.) I didn't like flare blitz' animation 2.) I didn't know I could buy Fire Blast and 3.) I didn't know where to get the Flamethrower TM. It goes without saying, that I never beat Cynthia ( I couldn't figure out why her Garchomp did so much damage with earthquake).

EDIT: Oops, Forgot about the no starter rule
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  23. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

Using azumarill in gen 3

also dumping blizzard onto everything that gets it just so that i can beat salamence
  24. Lord Ghetsis

Lord Ghetsis

I decided to slap an Air Balloon on Rotom-S. With Levitate.
  25. birdcrest

birdcrest

Also this:
    Lilligant@Sitrus Berry
    Giga Drain
    Teeter Dance
    Leech Seed
    Synthesis
    Yeah, Taunt just wrecks it. My strategy:
    Teeter Dance-Opponent hurts themselves in confusion
    Leech Seed- Lilligant is at over 55 percent hp
    Giga Drain-KOs

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)