Youtube Gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
[This mostly concerns wifi battles] [I'm sorry about the lengthy post, but please, bear with me]

I know Smogon already has a youtube channel, but I thought it would be cool to have a database of links that showcase certain Pokemons' abilities in actual battles and not just on paper. The basic idea would be a simple search engine where you could enter a Pokemon and there would be a list of videos that said Pokemon is used in. If the project gains momentum and has more people working on it, you could also add features where you can enter two or three Pokemon and see how they function on a team, or have two different team entries where you could, say, see a team that features a Flygon and how it works against a team using a Metagross. There could also be options to pitch ertain requests, so a user could say "I would love to see a team with a Jirachi against a team with an Infernape" and other Smogon users could submit battle videos [either through Youtube or through the GTS] which display the requested Pokemon. This would be an incredibly useful way of testing teams. An advantage of this over simply using a simulator would be that many wifi battlers already watch competitive videos on Youtube, and so Smogon users could simply enter into the database and copy the link into those 12 Pokemons' search results. This could prove to be an excellent research tool that isn't only presented in battle logs and statistics- it provides a visual tool that can give valuable insights towards a Pokemon's usefulness in certain situations, and can show potential users of a Pokemon some of its advantages and disadvantages that can't be fully captured in the concise moveset summaries Smogon already provides to its users.

Thank you,
Sasshen

Damn this looks like it's going to take A LOT of work if it actually goes through. Why can't you just test your team on PO? Even if you battle on wifi, it isn't hard to hop on PO for a few ladder matches.

The idea doesn't sound bad at all, but simply battling and testing for yourself isn't either.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It doesn't seem like a great amount of work for any one person actually. Start with a guideline for what quality of video is accepted (at the least so that you can see what is happening), then allow people to submit links. Any video that meets the standards is noted for the Pokemon used, then cataloged. With the number of people who use Smogon, I don't think it would take a long while to get a few videos for each OU Pokemon.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yet another project that's very time consuming with little marginal benefit and nobody willing to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)