Pokémon Zapdos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't seen a thread about this Pokémon which is surprising, since it just made OU, so.

Pokédex No.: 145
Type: Electric / Flying
Base stats: 90 HP / 90 Atk / 85 Def / 125 SAtk / 90 SDef / 100 Spe
Abilities: Pressure / Static (unreleased)

Notable moves:
  • Thunderbolt
  • Heat Wave
  • Defog
  • Roost
  • Hidden Power (usually Ice)
  • Discharge
  • Volt Switch
  • Agility
  • Baton Pass
Analysis:

Once fallen to UU in the last generation, Zapdos has once again found a new place among XY OU. Thanks to its excellent defensive typing and decent bulk, it shines above all as a check to a myriad of threatening offensive powerhouses in the metagame. Before the first suspect test, Zapdos was one of the few reliable counters to M-Lucario's Nasty Plot set, which arguably kickstarted Zapdos' resurgence in popularity. It is one of but three-or-so counters to M-Pinsir, one of the most threatening Megas in OU, while checking Talonflame, Togekiss and many other flying-types. Depending on its stat spread, it can check many other OU threats, including Bisharp, Scizor, Aegislash and Thundurus.

The buff to Defog has cemented Zapdos' return to OU, and Zapdos is arguably one of the best users thereof. No other defogger is able to directly threaten Bisharp, a huge chilling effect to other Defoggers like Latias. Even with no SAtk-investment, its Heat Wave stands a chance of OHKO'ing a standard Bisharp after Stealth Rock, even more so with a little prior damage. Another positive point in Zapdos' favour is the rare Pressure ability. Zapdos has enough natural bulk that, when it cannot defeat a threat directly, simply stall out a low-PP move until it is crippled.

Unfortunately, Zapdos is held back by a terrible weakness to Stealth Rock. It can keep Zapdos from switching in to tank hits repeatedly (though Roost betters this somewhat) or clear off hazards, especially with Defiant Pokémon in play. Despite Zapdos' offensive-leaning stats, as a sweeper it is outclassed by both forms of Thundurus, and any set without Defog might be better done by Rotom-W. Despite its flaws, Zapdos is overall a fantastic team player bringing a lot of utility.

Recommended Movesets

Physically Defensive
Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Bold nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog / Toxic / HP Ice

Zapdos' most common moveset in today's meta, serving as a great check to physical threats as Pinsir, Talonflame, Bisharp, SD-Excadrill, Scizor, even (M)-Garados and Azumarill. Zapdos is one of M-Pinsir's very few hard counters - even after Stealth Rock, Pinsir's Aerilate STAB cannot OHKO this version of Zapdos even at +2, while Thunderbolt stands a good chance of a OHKO (assured with Stealth Rock or other prior damage). CB Talonflame's Brave Bird is only a 3HKO after SR, though Zapdos cannot switch into Flare Blitz, when Stealth Rock is up. Unlike Rotom-W, Zapdos has reliable recovery in Roost, making it harder for flying cores to wear it down.

16 EVs are put into Speed to outspeed Adamant Bisharp, forcing it to rely on Sucker Punch (which you can easy play around).

Specially Defensive
Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 180 SDef / 16 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Calm nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog / Toxic / HP Ice

Zapdos can also be specially defensive. This set checks Aegislash masterfully - LO-Aegislash has only the slimmest chance of a KO with Shadow Ball + Shadow Sneak + Stealth Rock; all other variants fail to break through it. It still checks Pinsir, Talonflame and Scizor quite well, and while the biggest reason to use special-defensive Zapdos (Nasty Plot M-Luke) is gone, it's still useful, to check such special-based attackers as Thundurus and special Landorus.

Those EVs have I made myself. The 64 Def lets Zapdos avoid the 2HKO from M-Pinsir's unboosted Return after SR and take hits from Bisharp easier. 16 Spe is again to outspeed Bisharp.

I heard something like 248/196+/64 in HP/defense/special attack is a really great set as it is more offensively threatening without sacrificing necessary bulk.

I love defensive Zapdos. Any good sweepers it does a good job of defending? I really like the Defog set and am trying to find good sweepers to work with.

Zapdos goes real well with Terrakion who can handle Ground, Steel, Fighting and Water types that threaten him and handle Flying priority as well. Not that Terrakion minds rocks, but he does well against Ice and Rock for Zapdos. Same with Mega Gyarados who does appreciate Defog normally as well as Zapdos plethora of resistances.

I've fallen in love with Zapdos over the last couple of weeks, its incredibly underrated in OU right now. I would slash volt switch on the Thunderbolt slot in the physically Defensive spread as it makes Zapdos a very reliable defensive pivot. If you are packing thunderbolt it is good to invest about 64 evs in Special Attack to secure the OHKO on Mega Pinsir. A good buddy for Zapdos is Tyranitar because Zapdos resists most of T-tar's major weaknesses while Tyranitar can tank special hits for Zapdos. Along these same lines Heatran makes another good partner and forms a solid defensive core as long you have something to tank water attacks.

A bulky attacking set is viable,its probs the only electric type in OU that can do it

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Roost
- Defog/Hidden Power Ice(depends on team needs)
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave

This here is probably the bulkiest specially attacking electric type in OU,with great coverage and recovery to boot.It can still(to an extent)counter Pinsir and the other things,but it wont do it as well.

Zapdos' really reliable for having a Defog move for your team. Not only that, but it's bulk really is also dependable. a 125SAtk Can:
252 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 390-458 (130.8 - 153.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: 210-248 (69 - 81.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 348-410 (107.4 - 126.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 378-446 (93.5 - 110.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Zapdos can really go on head to head on some famous OU Pokemons. :)

Zapdos' really reliable for having a Defog move for your team. Not only that, but it's bulk really is also dependable. a 125SAtk Can:
252 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 390-458 (130.8 - 153.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: 210-248 (69 - 81.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 348-410 (107.4 - 126.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 378-446 (93.5 - 110.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

I feel as if those calcs are misleading in the sense that most Zapdos are not going to be running Max Sp Atk, let alone Positive natured.

Of course, its unboosted attacks are still something to be feared regardless with respectable base power.

I've been loving its Physically Defensive set with Toxic. I also agree with the Zapdos-Tyranitar core, they cover each others weaknesses pretty well, especially if Tyranitar runs a Specially Defensive set and Zapdos runs a Physically Defensive set. Their offensive coverage is solid too.

Offensive Zapdos are out there, may not be common but they exist. Boasting 125 Base SAtk and decent Speed is no joke.

Zapdos @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt / Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog / Hidden Power [Ice]

0 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 320-378 (92.7 - 109.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 216-254 (60.1 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: 172-204 (56.5 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 124 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mawile: 172-204 (63.2 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 116-138 (35.8 - 42.5%) -- 94% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 284-336 (87.6 - 103.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

0 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 282-332 (69.8 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 188-224 (46.5 - 55.4%) -- 75% chance to 2HKO

Made your calcs a little more realistic.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
0 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 320-378 (92.7 - 109.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 216-254 (60.1 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: 172-204 (56.5 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 124 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mawile: 172-204 (63.2 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 116-138 (35.8 - 42.5%) -- 94% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 284-336 (87.6 - 103.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

0 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 282-332 (69.8 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 188-224 (46.5 - 55.4%) -- 75% chance to 2HKO

Made your calcs a little more realistic.
How are any of those, barring Mawile, more realistic? Specially Defensive Talonflame isn't common, Zapdos would attack a (smart) Aegislash in its Shield forme, and Choice Band and BellyJet Azumarills are far more common. Unless some traces of sarcasm were lost on me, Caitlin's calcs are more accurate than yours.

How are any of those, barring Mawile, more realistic? Specially Defensive Talonflame isn't common, Zapdos would attack a (smart) Aegislash in its Shield forme, and Choice Band and BellyJet Azumarills are far more common. Unless some traces of sarcasm were lost on me, Caitlin's calcs are more accurate than yours.
They're not super realistic, but at least they use spreads that are actually used, 252 SpA Zapdos isn't really a thing, Specially Defensive Talonflame is hardly common but it's a valid spread (BU Talonflame uses this, uncommon/niche as it may be) and the standard set afaik runs enough speed to outspeed Jolly Excadrill with Flare Blitz and puts the rest into HP.

The Blade Aegislash was added for completion, if you'd pay attention you'd notice that I listed the shield calc first and Caitlin didn't list the shield calc at all.

I listed 2 calcs for Azumarill, the first representing the common offensive sets and the second representing the more uncommon but definitely viable AV set.

The main thing that makes his calcs unrealistic stems from the fact that non defensive Zapdos has no business switching in on things like Talonflame and would run something like Specs or LO.

They're not super realistic, but at least they use spreads that are actually used, 252 SpA Zapdos isn't really a thing, Specially Defensive Talonflame is hardly common but it's a valid spread (BU Talonflame uses this, uncommon/niche as it may be) and the standard set afaik runs enough speed to outspeed Jolly Excadrill with Flare Blitz and puts the rest into HP.

The Blade Aegislash was added for completion, if you'd pay attention you'd notice that I listed the shield calc first and Caitlin didn't list the shield calc at all.

I listed 2 calcs for Azumarill, the first representing the common offensive sets and the second representing the more uncommon but definitely viable AV set.

The main thing that makes his calcs unrealistic stems from the fact that non defensive Zapdos has no business switching in on things like Talonflame and would run something like Specs or LO.
-It is realistic, a 252HP/252SAtk/4SDef is a good EV spread for Zapdos.
-A Specially Defensive
Talonflame really is a viable spread but, wouldn't you use the calc for a Mainstream spread for Talonflame instead? Giving other calculation makes other users confused on what will they do if they got in to this kind of situation.
-Why would you attack a defensive one if you can just attack one off guarded? But yeah, I think I should put that just in case the opposing
Aegislash has a Weakness Policy which could probably put Zapdos in a pinch of getting KO'ed.

+2 100+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 268-316 (69.7 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKOa combo of Knock Off + Shadow Sneak would end Zapdos if you attack Aegislash on its Defensive form using Heat Wave. Also, FYI most skilled users prefer Weakness Policy over Leftovers.
Not being mean, I think that, you don't think first before attacking. You just attack with stronger attacks rather than thinking about what will happen to
Zapdos next. I'm just being realistic here and looking on different angle views while battling.
My only point here is that,
Zapdos can go head to head on some OU Pokemons even though Zapdos comes form the UU tier past gen. :) ♥

-It is realistic, a 252HP/252SAtk/4SDef is a good EV spread for Zapdos.

No it's not, 252 SpA/Spe is a valid spread, I've never seen 252 HP/SpA being used, ever.

-A Specially Defensive
Talonflame really is a viable spread but, wouldn't you use the calc for a Mainstream spread for Talonflame instead? Giving other calculation makes other users confused on what will they do if they got in to this kind of situation.

I thought I did, but apparently people are running 252 Spe again to outspeed Lati@s with U-Turn on the banded set, a set without U-Turn should probably still run 252 Atk, 192 HP, 4 Def, 60 Spe to outspeed Jolly Excadrill with Flare Blitz or 252 Atk, 48 HP, 208 Spe to outspeed Jolly Mega Pinsir's Quick Attack with Brave Bird/Acrobatics(the Natural Gift+Liechi Berry set).

-Why would you attack a defensive one if you can just attack one off guarded? But yeah, I think I should put that just in case the opposing
Aegislash has a Weakness Policy which could probably put Zapdos in a pinch of getting KO'ed.

+2 100+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 268-316 (69.7 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKOa combo of Knock Off + Shadow Sneak would end Zapdos if you attack Aegislash on its Defensive form using Heat Wave. Also, FYI most skilled users prefer Weakness Policy over Leftovers.
Not being mean, I think that, you don't think first before attacking. You just attack with stronger attacks rather than thinking about what will happen to
Zapdos next. I'm just being realistic here and looking on different angle views while battling.
My only point here is that,
Zapdos can go head to head on some OU Pokemons even though Zapdos comes form the UU tier past gen. :) ♥
A lot of things are wrong here, for starters no Aegislash is going to stay in Blade Form against a Zapdos, even one without Heatwave and Zapdos will always be faster than Aegislash (outside of Trick Room or the very uncommon Autotomize set) meaning Aegislash should NEVER be staying in Blade Form against Zapdos unless it's in range of being finished off by Shadow Sneak.

Weakness Policy is most definitely NOT the preferred item on Aegislash, especially not, as you put it, among 'skilled users', Leftovers is a very common item for the bulky 'pivot' set as well as the SubToxic set and Spooky Plate/Life Orb are generally the best items for more offensive sets, even Air Balloon is probably more common/better than Weakness Policy as it makes Aegislash the best Spinblocker by a mile, it's also easily scouted (as Leftovers and Life Orb will reveal itself) and if you do fear Weakness Policy a Thunderbolt will put Aegislash in KO range from Heatwave and there's no way Shadow Ball+Shadow Sneak will 2HKO Zapdos from full health.

Perhaps it is you who should 'think first before attacking' as Aegislash doesn't even learn Knock Off and 100+ Attack afaik isnt on any common set (252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 Atk or 252 SpA, 252 Atk, 4 HP are the standard spreads).

You missunderstood my point completely, I'm well aware what Zapdos can and cannot do and the reason it is gained popularity this gen and has found a place in OU is for it's defensive Defog sets and it's ability to check Mega Pinsir and previously Mega Lucario better than most things, there's no reason to run an offensive Zapdos set in OU (at least not one lacking Defog) as it's offensive set is pretty much outclassed by Thundurus-I and even Raikou and Mega Manectric.

Last edited:
No it's not, 252 SpA/Spe is a valid spread, I've never seen 252 HP/SpA being used, ever.

I thought I did, but apparently people are running 252 Spe again to outspeed Lati@s with U-Turn on the banded set, a set without U-Turn should probably still run 252 Atk, 192 HP, 4 Def, 60 Spe to outspeed Jolly Excadrill with Flare Blitz or 252 Atk, 48 HP, 208 Spe to outspeed Jolly Mega Pinsir's Quick Attack with Brave Bird/Acrobatics(the Natural Gift+Liechi Berry set).

A lot of things are wrong here, for starters no Aegislash is going to stay in Blade Form against a Zapdos, even one without Heatwave and Zapdos will always be faster than Aegislash (outside of Trick Room or the very uncommon Autotomize set) meaning Aegislash should NEVER be staying in Blade Form against Zapdos unless it's in range of being finished off by Shadow Sneak.

Weakness Policy is most definitely NOT the preferred item on Aegislash, especially not, as you put it, among 'skilled users', Leftovers is a very common item for the bulky 'pivot' set as well as the SubToxic set and Spooky Plate/Life Orb are generally the best items for more offensive sets, even Air Balloon is probably more common/better than Weakness Policy as it makes Aegislash the best Spinblocker by a mile, it's also easily scouted (as Leftovers and Life Orb will reveal itself) and if you do fear Weakness Policy a Thunderbolt will put Aegislash in KO range from Heatwave and there's no way Shadow Ball+Shadow Sneak will 2HKO Zapdos from full health.

Perhaps it is you who should 'think first before attacking' as Aegislash doesn't even learn Knock Off and 100+ Attack afaik isnt on any common set (252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 Atk or 252 SpA, 252 Atk, 4 HP are the standard spreads).

You missunderstood my point completely, I'm well aware what Zapdos can and cannot do and the reason it is gained popularity this gen and has found a place in OU is for it's defensive Defog sets and it's ability to check Mega Pinsir and previously Mega Lucario better than most things, there's no reason to run an offensive Zapdos set in OU (at least not one lacking Defog) as it's offensive set is pretty much outclassed by Thundurus-I and even Raikou and Mega Manectric.
Very sad, for one of zapdos's best offensive niche was actually its last gen's 70bp specs hidden power flying, 2koing nearly the entire unresisted uu tier

I have a question, Is static viable? I mean, if the bird is going to receive a ton of physical attaks, paralyzing some of them should be useful

I have been using the second set you have listed for quite some time now.
Zapdos is a great defensive defogger and is not a sitting duck, like, mandibuzz and hits reasonably well with stab thunderbolt and heat wave. And believe it or not the sub toxic roost is still pretty good.

Thanks amigo, my mistake ;(
I dunno, pressuring off low pp moves like close combats, gyro balls, power whips, focus miss which it resists is pretty nice.

It can also take some fire blasts, hydro pumps and even non stab stone edges

It may not seem like much but in a long battle it can make a big difference as it allows u to switch in checks which now do not fear the stalled out coverage move.

Last edited:
With the Ban of recent Pokemon, Bird Spam seems to be all I see. This guy puts a stop to it so easily, it's crazy.

Surprised this guy doesn't see more usage.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
With the Ban of recent Pokemon, Bird Spam seems to be all I see. This guy puts a stop to it so easily, it's crazy.

Surprised this guy doesn't see more usage.
You can't really deal with SD Talonflame or Band Staraptor, both of which can OHKO Defensive Zapdos after SR.

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 288-340 (75 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 247-292 (64.3 - 76%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Mega Pinsir has also started to run Knock Off so Magnezone can trap Skarmory running Shed Shell, meaning it can so it can just rid you of Lefties and GTFO. Also +2 Return still does like 55% minimum so switching into SR twice without healing will let it beat you.

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 214-252 (55.7 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

EDIT: Lefties means it probably won't kneel over after 2 switch-ins with SR up, but wearing down Zapdos isn't hard.

Last edited:
God, I feel so sorry for zap. It used to be such an amazing defensive mon, with so much utility, for checking birdspam and shit. Now, its mediocrity is evident. It's so mediocre because of a. sand rush exca, b. 510 ev syndrome, and c. it can't defog against anything but ferro. there are probably other reasons aside from these three, but those are the ones that really affect it. it has 510 ev syndrome because it needs spdef for lando and def for pinsir, at the same time.

I've actually found Zapdos to be a great option for stall teams atm, w/ Mag + Pinsir everywhere, Skarm is becoming a bit of a liability... Zapdos still decently checks Pinsir but doesn t have to worry about trapping... although Zapdos does need a bit more support that really jus comes down to proper teambuilding. The Hippo + Slowbro + Zapdos core is fantastic at checking MagPin nd is an overall great option to begin with.

Also don't use the 252 HP / 168+ Def spread as it is 200% ass, 252 HP / 240+ Def / 20 Spd all tha way boi

Zapdos is a less worthy option for defoging: It has weakness to SR and its kinda a setup bait for mons like Clefable. Thunderbolt + Heat Wave is cool but I think Skarmory is a more realiable defoger for OU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)