Zapdos

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What i wanted to say is that offensive Zapdos easily fits on balanced teams, while Thundurus-T not as much, as you said (it can fit, just not that easily). This trait alone makes him not outclassed in the offensive department.

Oh and another thing that Zapdos has going for him on offensive teams is the ability to run Baton Pass + Agility, which allows him to both sweep and support. The problem is that you have to use Pressure, as Baton Pass is a past Gen tutor move, and illegal with Lightningrod. I know that this is a very small niche, and it doesn't mean that because of it Zapdos isn't outclassed by Thundurus-T in offensive teams, just saying that it exists.

Check this
Zapdos All Out Attack
Lightningrod
Life Orb
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice
Heatwave
Roost
With the move tutor can learn heat wave

Has Lightningrod been released yet? In any case, I think he'd be better off with an Agility set, getting to +1/+2 and sweeping. Pretty much anything with Volt Absorb/Lightningrod that isn't Thundurus-T can wall him, though, especially in the rain.

I don't think we will be using lightningrod for offensive purposes (ie. receiving the special attack boost). Look at how Electivire panned out in DPP trying to utilize the boost from motor drive with Gyarados. Wasn't exactly a reliable (or good) way to increase one's offense. Rather it will serve zaps is much better defensively by being THE best Pokemon to take on the Scizor and Rotom-W combo. The defensive set can might also be able to achieve certain KO's it would not be able to do so otherwise. (Must find)

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Of 'course Lightningrod will have more merit on defensive sets than on offensive, but you can't deny that it will have an impact on offensive too. Comparing it with Electivire is a bad idea, because Zapdos has way better typing and bulk and Roost, which means that even if you don't get hit by the electric attack you wanted, you can try again, unlike Electivire. When i used offensive Zapdos in DW i managed to get many times the SpA boost because i could switch in a lot of times.

From experience in DW, Lightningrod is better on defensive sets (and defensive sets are just better anyway), especially in the rain. The difference between Thunder and Thunderbolt is already bigger than you would think, add a 1.5 boost to Zap's Special Attcak and Thunder Zap becomes a terror, 0 or 2 Koing nearly all the things it stops. It's also not only the best stop to volt-turn, but the Special Therians and Jolteon, who are both quite common and very good in this meta.

Lightningrod and the Bug resistance might help, but you're barely living Specs Hydro Pump from Rotom-W in the rain, if you're at full health. Specs Jolteon has a 3HKO on 252/252+ Zapdos with HP Ice, and Specs Thundurus-T straight-up 2HKOs you with the same.

What would roost make that Hp Ice on Jolteon calc? and Specs Thundy-T is really rare, so is specs Rotom-W in the rain, the more common set is found in sand.

Rotom-W's specs hydropump is realistically a shitty move, first factor in that you have only are 64% chance of hitting twice in a row, and that isn't even a 2HKO. If your Zapdos is low on health and you can't risk that 46% chance, you should really have something else to take a hydrpump. Hydropump to boot has 8 PP, realistically, your only firing off 6 hydro pumps before your out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)