Zygarde

Status
Not open for further replies.

heritage

I am the end of ‘morrows.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi yes i'll write this up soon sorry I've been in exams: expect it done by early june @_@

QC: bludz / p2 /
GP: /

[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to its fantastic natural bulk and a decent Speed tier, Zygarde serves to be the single best Coil user in the OU metagame and a solid Dragon Dancer. Its Ground / Dragon-typing is phenomenal offensively, hitting a massive portion of the tier for at least neutral damage. Its access to Extreme Speed separates itself from Garchomp, preventing revenge killers such as Talonflame or Weavile from revenge killing it easily after a Dragon Dance. Furthermore, its typing gives it an immunity to Thunder Wave, which is crucial against Thundurus and Klefki, as most offensive teams rely on them to be an emergency stop to set-up sweepers. Sadly, Zygarde's Dragon-type STAB attack is limited to Outrage on Dragon Dance sets, as it lacks Dragon Claw, making it susceptible to Fairy- and Steel-types once it becomes locked in. Zygarde's typing also leaves it horrendously weak to Ice-type attacks. Hidden Power Ice and Ice Punch are both common coverage moves on Pokemon such as Mega Manectric, Raikou, and Mega Lopunny due to the prevalence of Garchomp and Landorus-T.

[SET]
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Extremespeed
move 4: Outrage / Stone Edge
item: Lum Berry / Life Orb
ability: Aura Break
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Dragon Dance allows it to boost its speed and attack
  • Earthquake has good neutral coverage and offers solid damage
  • Extremespeed can pick off weakened targets
  • Outrage provides complimentary STAB coverage
  • Stone Edge hits Flying types and Levitating Pokemon that are immune to Earthquake, without locking into Outrage

Set Details
========
  • Max attack allows it to hit as hard as possible
  • Max speed allows it to outspeed as much as possible
  • Adamant offers extra punch, Jolly outspeeds some threats at the cost of power
  • Specifically, Jolly lets Zygarde outspeed Mega Alakazam and Mega Aerodactyl; it also lets Zygarde outspeed targets Jolly Pinsir, Jolly Heracross, and +Spe Kyurem-B before a Dragon Dance
  • Lum Berry can avoid status, especially Scald burns, when setting up
  • Life Orb offers extra power, but makes it harder to take advantage of Zygardes bulk due to life orb recoil
  • Yache Berry can help with set up against Ice Shard users such as Weavile, and allows it to take some other non-STAB Ice attacks, such as a Hidden power Ice from Mega Manectric

Usage Tips
========
  • Wants to wear down its own counters early game
  • Set up DD and sweep later game, after other threats have applied pressure
  • While Outrage provides strong complimentary coverage, the locking effect can be very unhelpful especially in early game stages
  • Unboosted Extremespeed can pick off some weakened targets as needed
  • Zygarde should be saved for late game situations if you intend to sweep with it, as it needs to be as close to full HP as possible to abuse its bulk

Team Options
========
  • Teammates that can lure and damage Lando-T are a plus
  • Bulky attackers can help, due to how easily Zygarde can stack weaknesses, especially an Ice weakness
  • Hazard stacking offenses benefit Zygarde
  • A strong breaker that can beat stall as well as force out fat Grounds could be helpful, Keldeo and Manaphy are examples of teammates in this vain
  • Keldeo is particular can threaten most Steels that wall Zygarde, as well as check most Ice types
  • Mega Diancie can beat Togekiss, who walls Zygarde lacking Stone Edge
  • Mega Alakazam shares many similar checks to Zygarde, and can Taunt / Encore those checks, can also use HP Ice to help walbreak
  • Mega Medicham can wallbreak against fatter teams, and has Bullet Punch to beat Mega Diancie, Thunder Punch Mega Medicham is especially good
  • Grass Knot Mega Metagross can help breaking fatter teams, as can Latios

[SET]
name: Subsititute + Coil
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Dragon Tail
move 3: Subsititute
move 4: Coil
item: Leftovers
ability: Aura Break
nature: Careful
evs: 200 HP / 252 SpD / 56 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

• Coverage options such as Iron Tail and Superpower are possible, although they can have trouble fitting in Zygarde's moveset
  • Glare can be used to cripple checks

Checks and Counters
===================

**Skarmory**: Thanks to Skarmory's fantastic defense and typing, it resists Outrage and Extreme Speed and is immune to Earthquake, leaving Zygarde nearly helpless against it. It can Roost up the small amount of damage taken or phaze Zygarde out with Whirlwind, removing its Dragon Dance boosts.

**Ground-types**:

**Grass-types**:

**Water-types**:

**Unaware users**:

**Choice Scarf users**:

**Ice-types**:

Last edited:
I'd like to voice my support for adding the SubCoil set. It seems to me that a lot of recent metagame trends have been favorable to that particular set. Stall and bulkier teams are everywhere, which is extremely nice for Zygarde because none of Chansey, Mega Sab and other Foul Play users, Amoonguss, Quagsire, certain weak scalds and whatnot can break its subs. It outspeeds and Dragon Tails Skarm before before it can get a Whirlwind off, so Skarm's not an issue for it. Zygarde is also quite fast for being such a defensive mon, so with a bit of investment it can outspeed neutral-natured base 70s, which personally I think is beneficial for this set. Zygarde also benefits from the recent decline in electrics. There are really very few bulky mons that Zygarde can't set up on. So I really think it deserves a set. Also, holy goddamn it's bulky. Compare Hippowdon's 108/118/72 to Zygarde's 108/121/95. Jesus.

Edit: Rotom-w's Hydro Pump will frequently not break Zygarde's sub. That's insane.

Last edited:
Choice Scarf Lando-T with hp ice can pick off Zygarde
Klefki with magnet rise stops Zygarde and can kill it with dazzling gleam / foul play

Scarf lando HP Ice can only pick off DD Zygarde with a lot of prior damage (does 63% max), and it's outsped by Jolly Zygarde which is slashed. And against SubCoil, it's a joke: 0 SpA Landorus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 200 HP / 252+ SpD Zygarde: 136-164 (33.4 - 40.2%)

So it doesn't seem like the best check to me.

there is only set listed here, and seriously, who plays jolly zygarde ?
nothing to say on Klefki which go off zygarde -> immune to dtail, magnet rise cancel EQ)

heritage

I am the end of ‘morrows.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah sorry, I'm not really in the mood for this right now. I have of sudden issues both on Smogon and IRL so I don't have the time for extras. I'm going to have to drop this, apologies for making everyone wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)