Pokemon Day Presents 2024 - Pokemon LZA 2025

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the idea of the entire game taking place in Lumiose is kinda... odd, think about it, where in Lumiose would you be able to find an ice type? or a ghost type? To make an entire pokedex's worth of pokemon fit inside one city just seems logistically impossible, and more importantly in my eyes, would exploring one city for the entire game even be fun? I don't think it would be, it seems far more likely that there are more areas to explore similar to PLA than trying to shove 200+ species of pokemon into one giant urban environment
Meanwhile, I'm thinking that a pure city map would be a welcome change from how often generic nature areas are used in open games (and that it might have made the game worth getting if it had non-Legends gameplay backing it up). To address the specific questions, Unova had the Cold Storage as a near-urban area with Ice mons and abandoned buildings have been used for Ghost areas in both gens 6 and 7.

I think the idea of the entire game taking place in Lumiose is kinda... odd, think about it, where in Lumiose would you be able to find an ice type? or a ghost type? To make an entire pokedex's worth of pokemon fit inside one city just seems logistically impossible, and more importantly in my eyes, would exploring one city for the entire game even be fun? I don't think it would be, it seems far more likely that there are more areas to explore similar to PLA than trying to shove 200+ species of pokemon into one giant urban environment
Ghost type could make a connection to building the “You’re not the one” girl was in, maybe this will say that building has some sort of supernatural origin involving “the one” and the girl was there to look for them?
However, you made me think of Fire and Ice types in the original Diamond and Pearl, and that got me thinking of what Platinum and the remakes did to help with that…
Grand Underground! Lumiose doesn’t expand in area, but in depth.
Other possibilities:
  • It’s set “entirely” within Lumiose City but Lumiose City expands during the game to the point where places in Kalos nowhere near XY Lumiose are within Lumiose City’s borders.
  • You can somehow access a parallel universe. Persona 5 technically takes place all in one city, but the Metaverse makes it feel like there's more than that. The closest thing I can think of in a mainline Pokemon game is something like Ultra Warp Ride (you don't leave Alola the way you leave Johto in GSCHGSS, but you're not in Alola at the same time).

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
I'm very interested by how this solidifies Pokémon Legends as a series. Will also be very interesting to find out what Legends does as a series and what elements were exclusive to PLA specifically. For all we know the turn system and lack of items could just be an Arceus thing while z-A does them differently or it could just be how the gameplay style works for this new series

There’s Diancie but there were no legendary/mythical Pokemon who could evolve until 2016.
This feels a little pick-and-choose for a pattern since in XY we had Mega-Evolving Legendaries with Mewtwo and several single-stage Pokemon gaining Megas like Mawile and Kangaskhan.

The "weren't thought to evolve further" line also feels like a disconnect between Meta and in-universe to me, because realistically these Pokemon aren't "Kanto" or "Kalos" Pokemon within the fiction the way we know them from franchise introduction. Something like Mawile or Riolu are Pokemon native to several regions and Kalos is among one, which makes it especially odd to me that this is the only region where anyone seems to care about studying the phenomenon when even in Gen 6 marketing, they were showing off Megas in other regions like Charizard in "Origins" or the heavy integration with Hoenn for ORAS. Treating the franchise introduction to a mechanic as the first time it's been looked at much in universe feels kind of dumb when you think back to things like "how do Pokemon reproduce" with Gen 2 eggs, and it's an angle they clearly ditched after Gen 6 because it was kind of nonsensical, not to mention limiting on design as we saw (though ironically Megas remains the most diverse roster of "specific" users with Z-Moves and Gigantamax going to Kanto + Native Region and Terastal only having 2 "unique" users in the DLC Legendaries).

I think that Blueberry Academy and the Terarium was basically a trial run for this. Lumiose City has multiple districts, and I could easily see the districts acting like the biomes in the Terarium, with a completely new pool of Pokemon for each district.

I have seen people very happy to see the 2025 release date, but if it happens early on the year then the dev cycle would not have improved at all since LA came out in January.

The A apparently being so simiar to the ultimate weapon makes me wonder if it's just supposed to be a reference to it rather than a new Pokemon like I assumed.

Also, Xerneas and Yveltal not having any kind of forms unlike most cover legendaries makes me think they may be finally getting a Mega. Would have never guessed it.

I'm very interested by how this solidifies Pokémon Legends as a series. Will also be very interesting to find out what Legends does as a series and what elements were exclusive to PLA specifically. For all we know the turn system and lack of items could just be an Arceus thing while z-A does them differently or it could just be how the gameplay style works for this new series
It would be really good for the series if Legends just became a bunch of unrelated, more experimental titles. I absolutely love the Legends mechanics so it would be sad to see but it would be for the better I think.

At the very least I don't think the Pokedex mechanic will be the same (unless they really don't include the entire Kalos dex which I wouldn't mind but I would understand people being annoyed at it). And Megas being implemented kind of asks for abilities to come back, or some type of rework of the battle system.

I think that Blueberry Academy and the Terarium was basically a trial run for this. Lumiose City has multiple districts, and I could easily see the districts acting like the biomes in the Terarium, with a completely new pool of Pokemon for each district.
I think the problem is that the development team for SV and this game are different. So I'm not sure if they would actually be testing the waters there since the game should have been in development for a while already. Just like Crown Tundra was a trial of sorts for some SV mechanics, I would expect any Indigo Disk influence to only be seen next gen.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Ok so random unfocused thoughts, hopes and predictions:
-Calling it now: PLA-style mishmash starter trio but instead of regional forms they get Megas. So, for example, Mega Serperior, Cinderace and Empoleon. I just came up with that trio from the top of my head, feel free to theorycraft your own.
-People seem sort of mixed on the idea of a whole game being heavily centered around if not entirely set within one city but honestly I think it sounds insanely cool. Pokemon's aesthetics for me at their best when they show settlements where people and Pokemon cooperate, I loved looking at pictures and videos of the building interiors in SV and especially Indigo Disk for this exact reason. A whole game going in on this by design is exactly what I'm looking for, and its a premise that suits Lumiose more than anywhere else in the Pokemon world other than Castelia.
-That said, I REALLY hope this is set in modern day after XY. The trailer look does not correspond at all with an old-timey 1800s aesthetic like I've seen some speculate, and really I just want there to be an emphasis on the "retroactive sequel" element. This is what intrigued me most about the idea of a BW3, going back to this old region after a long passage of time to see how everyone's doing. I NEED adult Emma. Please.
-So I guess Indigo Disk really was "The Return To Unova" and that's that. Honestly, totally fine with this. You guys still got a whole new setting with unique mechanics, characters and worldbuilding together with some really nice 3D map design and a great set of bosses and minibosses! That's a more meaningful addition to the region than any ILCA rethread ever could've provided.
-So obviously Zygarde's gonna play a big role, probably with a Lumiose-wide cell hunting quest, but what about the other Kalos legends and mythicals? I could see Volcanion as a PLA save bonus, Diancie for SV, Hoopa not being dependent on owning another game and Eternal Floette as a special in-game gift for some major milestone (Beating a postgame superboss? Dex completion?)

I have seen people very happy to see the 2025 release date, but if it happens early on the year then the dev cycle would not have improved at all since LA came out in January.
Good news: When PLA was revealed iirc it already said "Early 2022". This is just 2025. Also noteworthy that there's no gameplay footage, tells me that they are not gonna show more until they're ready.

I just saw the Nintendo Switch notification about the Pokemon Presents and it says it will be "released simultaneously worldwide on Nintendo Switch in 2025." So if it is going to be on the Switch successor it will need to be cross-platform and not exclusive to the Switch successor
-So obviously Zygarde's gonna play a big role, probably with a Lumiose-wide cell hunting quest, but what about the other Kalos legends and mythicals? I could see Volcanion as a PLA save bonus, Diancie for SV, Hoopa not being dependent on owning another game and Eternal Floette as a special in-game gift for some major milestone (Beating a postgame superboss? Dex completion?)
What about LGPE, SwSh, and BDSP? Or do you think they'll just unlock minor stuff like how some of the LA save data bonuses from other games were just cosmetic?

Snivy and Piplup certainly fit the best given their evolutions. No idea about the fire starter however, Torchic would work perfectly if Blaziken didn't already have a Mega.

I guess they could also go the boring route and just have the Kalos starters again but this time with the proper gimmick.

Going from a game with no interiors to a game entirely in a city, presumably full to the brim of interiors so there's like variety in what you're doing, has the same potential energy as going from Super Mario Maker 1 to Super Mario Maker 2 which was so prominent about adding slopes that the codename was literally slopes

Good news: When PLA was revealed iirc it already said "Early 2022". This is just 2025. Also noteworthy that there's no gameplay footage, tells me that they are not gonna show more until they're ready.
Some cynics are saying that it's just going to have the same things they hated about how SV looked but I think (or hope) this is more likely
Snivy and Piplup certainly fit the best given their evolutions. No idea about the fire starter however, Torchic would work perfectly if Blaziken didn't already have a Mega.

I guess they could also go the boring route and just have the Kalos starters again but this time with the proper gimmick.
I think it's going to be Scorbunny if they don't want anything that has a Mega already, and Duraludon getting an evolution gives me the idea Game Freak doesn't have as many rules around Pokemon that could Gigantamax than they do around those that could Mega Evolve. It would also have the Hisui dynamic of "retro, modern, and in between" (Piplup/Cyndaquil for retro, Rowlet/Scorbunny for modern, and Oshawott/Snivy for in between)

StupidFlandrs48

World’s sweatiest casual
is a Pre-Contributor
Starter prediction time!
I agree that there's no way there will be new starters, just new forms of old starters (aka Megas). And the Kalos starters will probably be obtainable in the wild or through a quest like Chim/Turt/Pip in PLA. But that still leaves a lot of room for speculation
  • Since they got repped in PLA, I highly doubt Johto or Alola fans will get in on this new trio. Which is fine bc Cyndaquil and Rowlet are by far the best starters from those gens anyway so the others can cope/seethe/mald
  • Unova will still get thrown a bone imo, it lines up with all the gen 5 fanservice/foreshadowing that's been happening with the SV DLC. I predict Snivy to be a lock since it's far and away more popular than Tepig, Ash even used it in the anime so it's a sure favorite
  • That leaves Kanto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Galar to fight over the other two slots. Figuring these out is difficult: the Kanto and Hoenn starters already have megas, the Sinnoh starters just got a ton of representation in PLA, and the Galar starters... well, one of 'em is making it in. I agree it's probably Scorbunny.
  • I'll take a shot in the dark and say Piplup is #3. Mega Empoleon would kick so much ass
Of course this talk could be pretty pointless if they just keep it simple and use the Kalos starters but it'd be SO COOL

I'm pleasantly surprised and glad that XY got the Legends treatment. Zygarde got really shafted back in the transition to Generation 7 in terms of worldbuilding and story development, so I'm happy that it finally gets its proper time in the spotlight.

However the devs would do it, I'd imagine that this would be an ideal time to properly introduce Eternal Floette as a legitimate Pokemon since there is now precedent with one-off forms with Bloodmoon Ursaluna.

What I'm wondering is if they'll bring back Ash-Greninja, given its similarities to the standard Mega Evolution and its ties to the XY anime. Since Nintendo closed down the 3DS e-Shop a while ago and made Battle Bond Greninja impossible to obtain, this could be a prime opportunity to make it more readily available to obtain for newer players.

StupidFlandrs48

World’s sweatiest casual
is a Pre-Contributor
What I'm wondering is if they'll bring back Ash-Greninja, given its similarities to the standard Mega Evolution and its ties to the XY anime. Since Nintendo closed down the 3DS e-Shop a while ago and made Battle Bond Greninja impossible to obtain, this could be a prime opportunity to make it more readily available to obtain for newer players.
I disagree with this, I think AshGren should remain locked away forever. That way, more people will come to Showdown because SM OU is the only place where they can obtain and use it! :boi:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Tbh i feel like we might still not get ash gren. That was a form that existed solely to promote the anime, doesnt really make much sense to keep it around when the XY Anime season is long gone and Ash isnt even around anymore
This, especially if they actually do Mega Kalos starters this time

Also upon another review of the trailer yeah this 100% modern Kalos. It's kinda tough to make out but looking at the fashion of the wireframe NPC guys it's all too recent to be PLA time period. Travel backpacks, baseball caps, etc

OH MY GOODNESS THIS IS SO HYPE!! Well ok, it's not as epic as the combined johto and unova game that I had imagined, but it's still PRETTY DAMN EPIC!!! I DON'T CARE OF WHAT ALL THE CYNICS AND PESSIMISTS SAY!!

I do wonder how the roster will be though. Are we gonna get new evos or regional forms or regional form evos, or are Megas gonna take those roles? Are they gonna use the og kalos dex+dudunsparce and kingambit? (Not that I mind tho, it's a pretty w dex. It has pelipper and mothim in it!) Or are we gonna get a completely new one? From what I've managed to see from the trailer all the mons that appear are in the og dex, but I wouldn't rule out a new dex. Anyway, I'm excited for this!!

StupidFlandrs48

World’s sweatiest casual
is a Pre-Contributor
OH MY GOODNESS THIS IS SO HYPE!! Well ok, it's not as epic as the combined johto and unova game that I had imagined, but it's still PRETTY DAMN EPIC!!! I DON'T CARE OF WHAT ALL THE CYNICS AND PESSIMISTS SAY!!

I do wonder how the roster will be though. Are we gonna get new evos or regional forms or regional form evos, or are Megas gonna take those roles? Are they gonna use the og kalos dex+dudunsparce and kingambit? (Not that I mind tho, it's a pretty w dex. It has pelipper and mothim in it!) Or are we gonna get a completely new one? From what I've managed to see from the trailer all the mons that appear are in the og dex, but I wouldn't rule out a new dex. Anyway, I'm excited for this!!
I hope Chimchar is one of the starters so we can get Mega Infernape with Gorilla Tactics. Time for another fire-fighting starter to get banned from OU! Then Emboar will do it with its mega in the gen 5 remakes! (copium)

Tbh i feel like we might still not get ash gren. That was a form that existed solely to promote the anime, doesnt really make much sense to keep it around when the XY Anime season is long gone and Ash isnt even around anymore
Yeah, I’m betting the anime shill frog stays dead

Plus, Greninja is too popular for them to resist giving it a hype new Mega Evolution when the opportunity presents itself. Maybe even two, like Charizard lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)