2008 Olympics

You know what pisses me off? When runners don't give everything they have in the final. Example, when Usain Bult ran the 100m, it's pretty clear that he slowed down in the end because he knew he was going to place first when he could have just pushed off his last step and leaned forward, shaving off an extra couple hundredths of a second. I mean, it may not seem like it's that big of a deal, but when the world record is slowly improving by 2/100ths or 4/100ths of a second, a couple more could really help him keep that record for a while.

Not saying he wasn't insanely fast or anything, but that celebration deal before he crossed the finish line was kind of retarded. That's just the way I view things though, as a fellow (but nowhere near as skilled) track athlete.
It's just the fact that Jamaicans are the cockiest people on Earth, but I do agree with you he could've done better.

19.30 isn't all too fast for him to be honest.

Look at the statistics.

He ran 9.69 in the 100m final. Even then, it was with him celebrating. If he had put his head down, and run the race, he could've got -9.60.

So, usually 200m would be a harder race to run, because its longer. So it should be a little more then double of the 100m. But no, he was way less then double; -0.08 slower; which, imo, means that he can run much faster, judging by the fact that there was also a -0.9m headwind, which is quite... hard... to say the least.

Look at the statistics.

He ran 9.69 in the 100m final. Even then, it was with him celebrating. If he had put his head down, and run the race, he could've got -9.60.

So, usually 200m would be a harder race to run, because its longer. So it should be a little more then double of the 100m. But no, he was way less then double; -0.08 slower; which, imo, means that he can run much faster, judging by the fact that there was also a -0.9m headwind, which is quite... hard... to say the least.

I would have thought 200m be faster per 100 than the 100m. The second 100m they do they basically have a running start, and a little extra distance doesn't make them too tired out does it? (It's not as if the races last a long time).

I don't really know though, because I don't run myself :3

Am glad GB are doing so well though, especially for such a small nation.

let´s say his team (manager, trainer etc.) knows what time he can sprint when practicing, something like 9,5s which I´m sure all of them knew and that´s why he was so relaxed all the time

now why wouldn´t they want to make as much money out of this info as they can? you know athletics isn´t one of the best earning sports out there...

of course having a fabulous WR that is also an olympic record makes you immortal and a legend right there, but he already is by breaking the 100m and 200m WR in one olympics plus everyone and their mother will remember in what fashion he won the 100m

now he is immortal and can continue by beating his 9,69s by 1 or 2 hundreths everytime he wants and earn all the prize money there is for a WR in particular athletic meetings around the world

this is pretty much the same as elena isinbaeva did for the last few years...beating her own WR by 1 cm all over again ;)

all of this being said, they are still the most memorable highlights of these olympic games along with michael phelps

so far, Slovakia got 3 gold medals (out of 4 possible) in canoe/kayak wild water, we achieved one silver medal (women´s trap shooting) and I hope we get another gold tomorrow, K4 (kayak) 1000m men in flat water, go guys ;)

So basically, the kayaking finals tomorrow could definie the comparitive final rankings of Slovakia, New Zealand and Canada. We are currently ahead by a whisker!

We have finalists in the k1 1000 and k2 something. I think Canada have the favourite for the k1 500 and k1 1000 so that could be bad news for us!

Have a nice day.

Look at the statistics.

Nah, it does take a lot of effort to keep up that same speed up for an extended period of time. My 200m PB is nowhere near what it "should" be by that logic.

100m - 10.9
200m - 24.8

I should be running like 22 easily, but it doesn't work like that lol.

I don't know but Bolt might have waned to not set such a high WR on purpose. I know the most common this place happens is with the pole vaulters because they get to choose their height. The things is that every time and athlete sets a record wether it be a meet/american/world or whatever they get a bonus. ( I know the usual is about like 25k and up, but this is the olympics). There have been pole vaulters who break the wr by 1/2 and inch and then stop on prpose so they can break it in their upcoming meets. Now bolt gets to break the world record yet again next season. And remember track athletes compared to other proffesional athelets get paid next to nothing. I don't know how much Jamaica pays their atheletes but I know anything over 200k is only given to world class athelest in the USA. So if Bolt is making uner 100k then extra bonuses are more then welcomed.

However at the end of the race he said he din't even know he broke the WR so yeah I don't really know. But its something to consider

Pickering is a stupid fool, now GB doesnt qualify for the 100m relay, especially seeing how we won gold last year :). Precisely why we leave the sprinting to the black people.

For some reason, many teams got DQed this year, the Americans dropping the baton was funny; Gay had his hand out for a long time and the runner behind him was stupid enough not to place it in his hand but think that Gay had psycho kinetic powers and would know where it was. The runner then dropped it whilst Gay didn't have a clue and kept his arm out and looked like a gimp.

Jamaica will basically win it as long as they get decent change overs since Bolt will blow everyone away in the anchor leg.

It's just the fact that Jamaicans are the cockiest people on Earth, but I do agree with you he could've done better.

Why the fuck wouldn't you be cocky when you can break world records whenever you feel like it, even running a world record 200m in a headwind

Wow, tonights been awesome. That was the fastest 4x100m ever, and an AUSTRALIAN man actually won a field gold. First time in 60 years!
Olympic Record in Pole Vault, and he was a dirty ranger as well. Good job, Hooker.

can we please fuck off about the chinese gymnast being 14

first off, age rules are crap in general (if they're good enough to compete at the fucking olympics at 14 i think they're fine), second, this clearly seems like an attempt to shit on china for the 1023432th time

I agree with how stupid that age limit is but if other countries complied, so should China.

Its just ridiculous this age limit isn't the same for all events. Divers are allowed to be 15 for example.

But yeah, no age limit would be better, the olympics should always showcase the best, no matter their age.

What's that really young looking British diver's name? He patted his ass and then put the water from that on his face before doing a handstand off the diving board. Amazing XD Edit: Tom Daley, that's his name. Don't see how I missed your post.

Also, Ussain Bolt (parody): http://break.com/index/usain-bolt-slow-motion-replay.html

I was pretty happy when Canada's medal count passed Michael Phelps' gold medal count. Was around the time I started paying attention to the Olympics again. CAN-A-DA CAN-A-DA! Vancouver 2010!

can we please fuck off about the chinese gymnast being 14

first off, age rules are crap in general (if they're good enough to compete at the fucking olympics at 14 i think they're fine)

I'm no gymnast or anything, so I don't really know the specifics, but I believe the age cap is there because theoretically, preteen girls have too much of a natural advantage. They are not fully grown and are just naturally far more flexible than fully developed women, giving them an unfair advantage. I guess whatever gymnastics authorities there are decided they didn't like that, and instituted the age limit to try to level the playing field

Australia finishes 6th yey. I still think Australia could've done better though, missing out on some golds that we could've taken. Also, too bad UK and Germany did better this time around, knocking Australia off its 4th position in past games.

But still, great job Aussies!

New Zealand ended with it's traditional tally of 3 golds. just the 1 silver, but 5 bronze makes this a pretty good haul for us.

We beat australia in gold medals / population, and in fact every country larger than us, so that is pretty sweet. But we lost in terms of total medals / population.

On the whole this has been one of NZs most successful olympics though, there were a lot of almosts. Plus the only time we have ever gotten more than 3 golds were during the boycotts, so yeah I'm kinda pleased. It would have been nice to beat Canada though!

Have a nice day.

Great Britain finishes 4th, which is great - that was our aim for 2012, so hopefully we can at least match it then.

The closing ceremony was beautiful, I don't think any country could equal that.

Then again, I only saw a small bit of the opening ceremony...

I guess this was a pretty good Olympics for Holland, 12th place in medal ranking for such a tiny country is no small feat.

Back