Raticate (Gen 4, adding Choice)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raticate hasn't really gained anything from Platinum, but atm there's no mention of Choice sets in there. fyi I can't say I've ever playtested Raticate, though I'll try to do so at some point in the near future.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/raticate

[SET]
name: Choice
move 1: Return
move 2: Super Fang
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Crunch / Pursuit / Sucker Punch
item: Choice Band / Choice Scarf
ability: Guts
nature: Jolly / Adamant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Raticate's good Speed, wide movepool and acceptable Attack stat make it a workable Choice Bander. Return is your most dependable STAB attack, whilst U-turn is useful for scouting your opponent's Raticate counter to gain an advantageous match-up. Crunch provides a reliable way of hitting Ghosts such as Froslass and Rotom that otherwise wall this set, whilst Pursuit allows you to hit them hard as they switch out. However, this leaves you helpless against these Ghost-types if they decide to stay in on Raticate. Sucker Punch allows you to bypass the Speed advantage of faster opponents to snag a surprise KO, but can allow opponents to set up easily on Raticate. Sucker Punch should only be considered on the Choice Bander though, as when using a Choice Scarf, most of the targets for Sucker Punch are slower than you anyway. Super Fang allows you to slice 50% HP off anything that decides to switch-in (bar Ghost-types) and is useful for weakening the likes of Steelix and Probopass.</p>

<p>There are a few other options available of which Raticate can make use. Facade is a good option if you are confident in your ability to get Raticate statused, but if you are unable to do so, the damage output can be disappointing. Quick Attack is an excellent option for an alternative priority attack that isn't dependant on your opponent attacking you to work. Reversal provides coverage against Rock and Steel-types that otherwise wall Raticate, but is very unreliable on a set that has no sure-fire way to lower its HP without fainting, particularly with Raticate's piss-poor defenses. Me First is undeniably gimmicky, but can have it's uses; the most notable being an easy 2HKO on Steelix if you manage to hit it with Earthquake with Me First.</p>

<p>Jolly is highly recommended over Adamant on the Choice Bander, as it puts you ahead of all Leafeon, Jynx, Drapion, Primeape, and Sharpedo - all of whom are very important to beat. Adamant is generally the superior option when using Choice Scarf, but beating all Choice Scarf Primeape (as a large number run Jolly) is reason enough to at least consider a Jolly nature.</p>

<p>Raticate's good Speed, wide movepool and acceptable Attack stat make it a solid Choice Bander. Return is your most dependable STAB attack, whilst U-turn is useful for scouting your opponent's Raticate counter to gain an advantageous match-up by switching-out. Crunch provides a reliable way of hitting the Ghosts such as Froslass and Rotom that otherwise wall this set. (remove 'whilst') Pursuit allows you to hit those Ghost-types hard as they switch out, however, this leaves you helpless against them if they decide to stay in on Raticate. (that didn't sound good to me, I just changed the order. You might want to do that later if you didn't like what I put) Sucker Punch allows you to bypass the (remove 'speed') advantage of faster opponents to snag a surprise KO, but can allow opponents to set up easily on Raticate. Super Fang allows you to slice off 50% HP off anything that decides to switch-in (bar Ghost-types) and is useful for weakening the likes of Steelix and Probopass.</p>

<p>There are a few other options available that Raticate can make good use of. Facade is a good option if you are confident in your ability to get Raticate statused, but if you are unable to do so then the damage output can be disappointing. Quick Attack is an excellent option for an alternative priority attack(no comma) that isn't dependent on your opponent attacking you to work. Me First is undeniably gimmicky, but can have it's uses; the most notable being an easy 2HKO on Steelix if you manage to hit it with Earthquake with Me First.</p>
All I really saw were these. You might want to remove some of the options on the set though, there's a lot of slashitis.

Leafeon, Jynx, Drapion, Primeape, and Sharpedo,
That's all I can see grammar-wise. I'll have a look at raticate now to check on the set. :)

CB calculations with Reversal:

Raticate uses Reversal on Probopass

391 Atk vs 326 Def & 324 HP (200 Base Power): 688 - 812 (212.35% - 250.62%)

Raticate uses reversal on steelix

391 Atk vs 480 Def & 354 HP (200 Base Power): 468 - 552 (132.20% - 155.93%)

Raticate isnt too low but uses reversal on steelix anyway

391 Atk vs 480 Def & 354 HP (150 Base Power): 352 - 416 (99.44% - 117.51%)

And even lower

391 Atk vs 480 Def & 354 HP (100 Base Power): 236 - 280 (66.67% - 79.10%)

The opponent switches hitmonlee in expecting crunch

391 Atk vs 142 Def & 242 HP (100 Base Power): 198 - 233 (81.82% - 96.28%)

You're low and the opponent switches in tech-top to finish you off

391 Atk vs 226 Def & 304 HP (200 Base Power): 248 - 292 (81.58% - 96.05%)

Kangaskhan bothering you?

391 Atk vs 196 Def & 414 HP (150 Base Power): 430 - 506 (103.86% - 122.22%)

And the list goes on. What I'm trying to say is, I'd suggest Reversal as an option over Super Fang. I'd also put in a bit about NOT using Flame Wheel. It seems really tempting but has no actual use.

=)

Agreeing with Banana, Reversal is a must on this set. It should probably look like:

[SET]
move 2: Reversal
move 3: Crunch / Sucker Punch
move 4: U-turn / Super Fang

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You're low and the opponent switches in tech-top to finish you off

391 Atk vs 226 Def & 304 HP (200 Base Power): 248 - 292 (81.58% - 96.05%)
Uh.... priority?

Raticate isnt too low but uses reversal on steelix anyway

391 Atk vs 480 Def & 354 HP (150 Base Power): 352 - 416 (99.44% - 117.51%)
This is still, like, 10% health. It's not like this is "a few SR switch ins" or something...

I`d say Crunch over Sucker Punch here as Raticate isn`t in need of priority that much as he may have a Choice Scarf. Plus, you wouldn`t want to be locked in Sucker Punch while your opponent isn`t attacking. Also, Crunch has more PP than Sucker Punch.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PP doesn't matter if you can't take a hit to save your life. Crunch being better doesn't matter as both are slashed and Sucker Punch is listed there, so "your opinion" is pretty irrelavent when both are viable.

Reversal seems incredibly gimmicky tbh; it's basically unusable until you're down to about 35%. I could mention it in Set Comments I guess.

Raticate hasn't really gained anything from Platinum, but atm there's no mention of Choice sets in there. fyi I can't say I've ever playtested Raticate, though I'll try to do so at some point in the near future.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/raticate

[SET]
move 2: Super Fang
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Crunch / Pursuit / Sucker Punch

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Raticate's good Speed, wide movepool and acceptable Attack stat make it a workable Choice Bander. Return is your most dependable STAB attack, whilst U-turn is useful for scouting your opponent's Raticate counter to gain an advantageous match-up. Crunch provides a reliable way of hitting (removed "the") Ghosts such as Froslass and Rotom that otherwise wall this set, whilst Pursuit allows you to hit them hard as they switch out. However, this leaves you helpless against these Ghost-types if they decide to stay in on Raticate. Sucker Punch allows you to bypass the Speed advantage of faster opponents to snag a surprise KO, but can allow opponents to set up easily on Raticate. (you should mention to only use it on the with CB) Super Fang allows you to slice (removed "off") 50% HP off anything that decides to switch-in (bar Ghost-types), and is useful for weakening the likes of Steelix and Probopass.</p>

<p>There are a few other options available that Raticate can make good use of. Facade is a good option if you are confident in your ability to get Raticate statused, but if you are unable to do so, (removed "then") the damage output can be disappointing. Quick Attack is an excellent option for an alternative priority attack that isn't dependant on your opponent attacking you to work. Reversal provides coverage against Rock and Steel-types that otherwise wall Raticate, but is very unreliable on a set that has no sure-fire way to lower its HP without fainting, particularly with Raticate's piss-poor defenses. Me First is undeniably gimmicky, but can have it's uses; the most notable being an easy 2HKO on Steelix if you manage to hit it with Earthquake with Me First.</p>

<p>Jolly is highly recommended over Adamant on the Choice Bander, as it puts you ahead of all Leafeon, Jynx, Drapion, Primeape, and Sharpedo; all of whom are very important to beat. Adamant is generally the superior option when using Choice Scarf, but beating all Choice Scarf Primeape (as a large number run Jolly) is reason enough to at least consider a Jolly nature.</p>
I'd put it in Set Comments EH.
Long live Canada! he is one of us now.

There are a few other options available that Raticate can make good use of.
Grammatical error. Try: "There are a few other options available of which Raticate can make use." I know it may sound funky, but it's grammatically correct.
<p>Jolly is highly recommended over Adamant on the Choice Bander, as it puts you ahead of all Leafeon, Jynx, Drapion, Primeape, and Sharpedo--all of whom are very important to beat.

There's a ton of other options in that second paragraph. Should so many of them really be mentioned with this set, or should they be saved for the actual Other Options section?

Grammar Rule: You cannot end a sentence which a preposition, such as "of" in prose writing. (Speeches are exempt from this rule, generally).

That dash is an em-dash (the fatty one). Since that last clause is a tag to the sentence, it's generally needed. I'm not sure if the comma was grammatically incorrect, but it looked and sounded weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)