CAP 7 CAP 7 - Part 15 - New Move Discussion/Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Our Pokemon so far:

Name: Ultimate Scout
Description: A Pokemon that is very capable of forcing the opponent to reveal vital information about their team members and their moves using various techniques.
Type: Steel / Ghost
Ability: Frisk / Limber
Stats: 80 HP / 103 Atk / 85 Def /55 SpA /80 SpD /110 Spe

This thread is for users to discuss/submit ideas for the New Move that CAP 7 will receive, as voted on here.

Keep in mind that it must be an Attacking move - meaning it should deal damage as a primary effect. Moves such as Toxic or Sandstorm, which deal damage indirectly through status, weather, etc. are not considered Attacking moves.

Note: If your submission is deemed broken, it will be deleted. This will be determined at the discretion of the TL as well as the moderators.

Phase or Phase Attack
Type: Ghost
Power: 70
Accuracy: 100%
PP: 20
Priority: 0

Attacks, then switches. Basically a U-turn clone ability with STAB and a theme to fit the pokémon as some of the concept art had it jumping out of a portal. Fits the scouting part, too.

i honestly was thinking of a low BP reverse-ominous wind like move, where you have a chance to drop all of an opponents stats by one stage. with low power keeping it at even 20% chance could work, and it would encourage switching like no other stat down move.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Barrel Roll
Type: Steel
Attribute: Physical
BP: 70
PP: 20
Accuracy: 100
Effect: Switches out after damage.

Steel U-Turn, yessiree...

Metal Crush
type: Steel
Physical
Power:75 Accuracy: 95% 10 pp
50% chance to lower target's defense two stages

Bascially, a steel version of crush claw only with a two stage drop.

Posess
Type: ghost
Bp:50
PP: 5
Acc: 100
Priority:2
Effect: 50% chance opponent uses move at random.

This would really help with scouting. it would force the enemy to use a random move, possibly revealing the set the opponent is using, while damaging the enemy
. ie. if used on metagross and he randomly uses hp-fire, it can be assumed that he is using either a specs gimmick set or a mixed set, allowing you to switch accordingly.

Frightening Lunge/Sudden Lunge
BP: 40
PP: 10
Priority: +1
Effect: Forces the target to switch to a random Pokémon after damage. Forced switching does not affect a Pokémon with suction cups or Ingrain. Can only be used on the first turn out. Switching the user back in will allow it to be used again.

Yeah, reverse U-Turn (or damaging Roar/whirlwind) plus Fake Out.

Name needs much work, suggestions welcome.

Seeming as how we already have a good steel STAB in Meteor Mash, I want a good physical ghost STAB with a helpful scout-ish second ability.

So from there I come up with...

Shade Wave
Power: 95
Accuracy: 100%
Class: Physical
Secondary Effect: All of your oppenet's pokemon who enter battle have a random (uniform) proabality of having their held item, 2 moves or abilitiy revealed (Frisk only reveals the held item of a pokemon when it is switched in, and this effect reveals item/moves/ability once a new oppenent switches in and/or phazed). This effect will stay present on the field for 3 turns or until the move rapid spin is used. This secondary effect has a 75% chance of activating, assuming that Shade Wave hits a pokemon for damage.

And now for reasoning. As I said, I wanted reliable Ghost STAB with decent power and scout-ish effect. The power could have not have been too high for fear of brokenness, but not too weak to use shadow claw instead. The PP, however, must be low so this effect can be effectivly stalled out. Almost everything (ability, power, accuracy and PP) is subject to change. Please comment so I can try to change this new move to the best of your liking.

Soul Forge
Type: Ghost, Physical
BP: 100
Acc: 100%
Effect: None

It's a Ghost type Earthquake. That seems well worth the time for a nice STAB Ghost attack, over Shadow Claw.

Frightening Lunge
BP: 70
Priority: -5
Effect: Forces the target to switch to a random Pokémon after damage. Has no effect on a Pokémon with Suction Cups or Ingrain.

Yeah, reverse U-Turn. Or damaging Roar/whirlwind, depending on how you look at it. Name needs much work, suggestions welcome.
I suggest making the priority 0+ but the move only works if used the first turn, kinda like fake-out.

Secondary Effect: All of your oppenet's pokemon who enter battle have a random (uniform) proabality of having their held item, 2 moves or abilitiy revealed.
The held item part would be unneeded as this gets frisk.

Posess
Type: ghost
Bp:0
Acc: 100
Priority:2
Effect: opponent uses move at random.

This would really help with scouting. it would force the enemy to either switch out or use a random move, possibly revealing the set the opponent is using. ie. if used on metagross and he randomly uses hp-fire, it can be assumed that he is using either a specs gimmick set or a mixed set, allowing you to switch accordingly.
It must be an Offensive move, which this one isn't.

Tease
Type: Dark, Other
BP:-
Acc: -
Effect: A move that forces the opponent to use non-attacking moves, lasting 2-3 turns.

Essentially a reverse Taunt, which is delicious for a scouting Pokemon, but definitely not overpowered thanks to the lower turn rate and lower PP than Taunt.

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I don't think we should create a steel STAB. Steel already has perfectly viable moves in Iron Head and Meteor Mash. They pack a nice punch and should force switches either through sheer power or flinching annoyance. Ghost is the STAB here needing help, since the very best attack it can have (not including Shadow Force) is Shadow Claw, that has a awful BP and rather useless secondary effect. With that in mind, I really suggest we make this new attack Ghost-Typed, so it has two good STABs to work with.

Moving to the secondary effect here, I am against pairing U-turn with Ghost Type as I really wouldn't like to see our best scouting move being nullified just because your opponent likes a normal type. Even without STAB, U-turn is already a fine move (take Flygon for example). Other examples of secondary effects that I don't find appealing for this poke are status inflicting moves (unless you do something like yawn, but this is for offensive moves), since switching out after being statused gives you no benefits (excluding nature cure pokes) and is actually bad, since it opens up the possibility of you getting another poke statused. So, I believe this move should have a secondary effect that either puts the opponent in a bad situation AND disappears upon switching (best examples being Confusion and stat reduction) or just forces the opponent out right away (roar for example). Of those options, I prefered to be a little conservative and chose something already existant (Crush Claw), only with a small power boost so it can play better the role of main STAB.

With all that being said, this is my proposition:

Shadow Strike (can you get more generic than that?)
Physical
Power: 80
Accuracy: 95%
Special: 50% chance of lowering defense 1 stage

80 BP so it is reliable without being overly powerful; 95% accuracy because I feel a 100% accuracy move with that secondary effect would be a tad too good, especially if compared to Crunch (but I can change to 100% if necessary) and 95% is more than enough (take Air Slash, for example); 10 pp just because and 50% chance of lowering def 1 stage because a 2 stage drop can be a bit too extreme (for example it makes it possible for this poke to 2HKO Bronzong with LO, which is bad, while -1 packs enough power to 2HKO Bold Zapdos with LO and SR) and we need to make it happen often enough to make it reliable.

Night Chill
BP: 25
Accuracy: 90
Secondary Effect: 100% chance to give a chill to the opponent Pokemon, will freeze on the next turn if doesn't switch. Works similar to Yawn. More explained down below.

Effect Elaboratedly Explained: Deals small amount of damage, but deals the opponent a chill that causes it to be Frozen on the next turn (works like Yawn) if it does not switch out. It will NOT work on any Pokemon with the ability Magma Armor nor can it freeze if the Sun is out (just like always). Freeze Clause is in play, so players should not use this move if there's already a Pokemon frozen. When the Freeze Clause is checked, and there's already one Pokemon frozen, this move will only do its 25 BP damage and have no secondary effect. Pokemon with the ability Shield Dust will also be immune to the freeze. Since it is a Ghost type attack, it will also not affect any Normal type Pokemon.

Edit: Took advice from Elegy of Emptiness since he's interested: Added more power so it would not be something like "Knock Off" because with STAB, it has 37.5 Power, close to that of Quick Attack. There are other moves that are weaker than this move, such as Absorb, Leech Life, and Mud-Slap, which are often used for absorbing health or lowering foe's accuracy. There should not be much problem with this move passing as an attack move.

I also tried to make it not overly powerful since there are a hands of moves and Pokemon that counter it, such as any Pokemon carrying Sunny Day (such as Jumpluff), any Normal type Pokemon (such as Porygon-Z), any Pokemon with ability Shield Dust (such as Venomoth), any Pokemon with the ability Magma Armor (such as Magcargo), or simply any Pokemon that is already in battle and has been afflicted with a Status already.

It is also no doubt great for scouting because if you don't want to be frozen, then bounce back to your PokeBall.

Frighthammer/Shadowhammer/Shadow Smash/Shadow Crush
BP: 120
PP:5
Acc:85%
Damage: Physical
Effect: Has a 40% chance to lower the target's Defense two stages.
Basically a physical Seed Flare.
Might get a better name later.

EDIT:
Tease
Effect: A move that forces the opponent to use non-attacking moves, lasting 2-3 turns.

Essentially a reverse Taunt, which is delicious for a scouting Pokemon, but definitely not overpowered thanks to the lower turn rate and lower PP than Taunt.
This new move shouldn't be in this thread, this thread is for attacking moves only.

Night Chill
BP: 15
Accuracy: 90
Secondary Effect: 100% chance to give a chill to the opponent Pokemon, will freeze on the next turn if doesn't switch. Works similar to Yawn. More explained down below.
It has to be an attacking move, not one like Knock off where adding on a teensy bit of damage will suddenly make it an offensive move. It doesn't count. But its awesome IMO and I would support it if it was allowed...

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
With all that being said, I will move on to my own proposition:

Shadow Strike (can you get more generic than that?)
Physical
Power: 80
Accuracy: 90%
Special: 30% chance of lowering defense 2 stages
I would support this if the effect were more along the lines of a 50% chance of lowering Defense by one stage. This way, the drop is less extreme, along with allowing it to show up more and make a difference.

Basically: More Ghost Crush Claw than Ghost Seed Flare. :S Ghost would probably be the better typing for this anyhow, what with Steel having Iron Head, Meteor Mash, etc.

Tease

I definitely think this is overpowered. If you are behind a sub (a move this Pokémon will get) you can just spam this and your opponent can't do anything back, except roar/whirlwind/taunt. Combine it with Toxic Spikes, and voila this can stall out a whole team.

Spook
Type: Ghost, Physical
BP: 80
Acc: 100%
Effect: Has a 40% of lowering either the enemy's Attack or Special Attack by one stage. (Once the check has passed, there is an equal chance of either happening, like Tri Attack)

BP: 120
Acc:85%
Effect: Has a 40% chance to lower the target's Defense two stages.
Might get a better name later.
EDIT:
BP: 100
Acc:90%
Effect: Has a 30% chance to lower the target's Defense two stages.

I lowered the BP, added more accuracy, a lowered the percentage chance of lowering defense.

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I would support this if the effect were more along the lines of a 50% chance of lowering Defense by one stage. This way, the drop is less extreme, along with allowing it to show up more and make a difference.

Basically: More Ghost Crush Claw than Ghost Seed Flare. :S Ghost would probably be the better typing for this anyhow, what with Steel having Iron Head, Meteor Mash, etc.
I made a couple calculations and maybe you have a point here. For example, with LO and SR you can actually 2HKO standard Vaporeon without resorting to Thunderpunch and you have a chance of 2HKOing Hippowdon with a combination of the New Move and Ice Punch with LO and SR.

So yeah, consider it changed.

Petrifying Gaze
type:ghost, special
BP:60
Acc:90
Effect: 20% chance to lower all the enemy's stats by 1 stage.

it is essentially a reverse ominous wind, but i raised the chance by lowering the accuracy. i put this on the special side b/c the special spectrum has been neglected in our discussions of CaP7's offensive movepool (though this can always be changed).
Sorry ferron this is a crap move. Think how often you see Ominous Wind used on Ghosts with decent SpA? Never. Now picture it off CAP7's 55 Base SpA and it will do Very little damage. So basically it'll just be a 20% chance to lower all stats. An 80% chance of this move doing almost nothing. Even higher if you factor in the low Acc.

I support Barrel Roll and Shadow Strike.

the artic one, your move Metal Crush is pretty powerful, it should only have 5PP and a 40% chance of the drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)