Help me Calm my Mind(OU RMT)

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Skip to the team if you're in a hurry or don't feel like reading this
-----------------------------------------------------------
Introduction

Hello all you people out there in Smogon, this is TheFourthChaser here with my 2nd RMT.I took a short break from OU play because I was waiting for the Suspects to be voted on but after I had thought that it was taking to long for these votes to come up and playing Ubers for a bit(making to it 12 on the leaderboard) I decided to make a new OU team and test it out so I can ladder with it, after getting my CRE to the low 1400s I decided that this team has potential but a few problems as well, normally I would fix these myself but it's not as easy this time as everything I seem to try and fix or replace seems to cause some other kind of problem in the team. Luckily Smogon has an RMT sub-forum and a whole lot of people willing and able to help out and get my team ready to seriously ladder, so, here's

The Team

Nothing out of the ordinary here and if you were expecting so, I'm sorry. The team is built around trying to get my Sub+CM Jirachi to set-up and sweep and he can do his job quite well.

A Closer Look

Smeargle (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability:Own Tempo
EVs:252 HP/4 Def/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Spore
- Toxic Spikes
- Endeavor
- Protect

Smeargle has taken Swampert's lead spot and I think he's been working better then Pert did. After Pert I tried a Roserade lead but I like this guy more, he almost always sets up at least 1 layer of Toxic Spikes while getting an opponent's Pokemon asleep with a higher accuracy move. In some situations he also gets another pokemon to share his 1 HP with Endeavor, let me show you how Smeargle here deals with the Top 10 leads of July

Azelf:Taunt versions are annoying but Roserade couldn't do any better on the blue elf, non-Taunt versions are put to sleep on the first turn and a layer of TS is put up.

Metagross:Metagross can only hit Smeargle with Bullet Punch but thanks to the Sash(not that it activates when Bullet Punch hits) Gross goes to sleep and I get one layer of TS up. Lum Berry Gross leads can be a problem but most run Occa because it helps them beat more leads then Lum.

Jirachi:First thing to do when facing this lead is using Protect, if it tries tricking you go to Gengar to make that turn useless and if it tries using Iron Head's flinch hax go to Swampert.

Swampert:Smeargle outspeeds and puts to sleep, when faced against this lead I can actually get 2 layers of TS up.

Aerodactyl:This is one of the few leads that prevent Smeargle from getting TS up but Roserade couldn't do any better on him.

Infernape:One of the reasons I wanted to use Smeargle over Roserade, Smeargle can still get a layer of TS up when facing this lead. Protect on first turn to stop the sash from being broken from Fake Out and then Spore on the next turn.

Hippowdon:Similar to Swampert except the Sandstorm can prevent me from setting up 2 layers of TS.

Ninjask:Even if it gets a pass off I can get my layers and Roar the receiver of the speed(and possible Attack) boosts.

Bronzong:The exact same as Swampert.

Roserade:The only thing different in the new list and Roserade is a bad lead to face up against. Sleep Powder gets Smeargle and even if I land Spore and set up Toxic Spikes it can come back in absorb the spikes and won't be asleep anymore. It has made me seriously consider switching Toxic Spikes to regular Spikes.

Recently I changed the EVs from 4 HP/252 Atk because there was no point and replaced it with 252 HP/4 Def which has definitely saved me in a few spots.
---

Gengar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability:Levitate
EVs:4 Def/ 252 SAtk/ 252 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power[Ice]

Gengar replaced Heatran as revenge killer and he's been working better because he can outspeed +2 Adamant 252 Speed Gyarados, +1 Jolly 252 Speed Salamence, and +2 Jolly 252 Speed Tyranitar and can OHKO all three of them. Shadow Ball is for STAB and helps against opposing Gengar. Focus Blast will OHKO the Tyranitar that aren't running 252 HP/ 216 SDef with a Careful nature. Thunderbolt hits the Gyarados while HP Ice hits the Salamence.
---

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SAtk
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Roar

While Swampert may not be in the lead spot anymore he's still here and still sets up Stealth Rock. Earthquake is for STAB and Ice Beam compliments it very nicely and if Pert has enough HP it will be able to take out Salamence. I had Protect and I'm still thinking about putting it on but Roar helps against pokemon that set-up and Baton Pass teams. Changed the EVs to have max defense with a point in special attack.
---

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Ability:Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP/108 Atk/100 Def/144 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang

Suggested by Liam and replaced Salamence, Gyarados has really been working and has cleared the way for Jirachi and taken the win himself. He has the Bulky Gyara EV spread but the Offensive Gyara moveset, I felt Waterfall and Stone Edge weren't good enough themselves so I replaced Taunt with EQ and Stone Edge with Ice Fang. Waterfall is for STAB and hits lots of things for neutral damage, Earthquake his steels like Lucario while Ice Fang helps against Breloom.
---

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 80 HP/252 Atk/176 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Aqua Tail

Tyranitar was put here because it gives Jirachi sand support making it's job just a bit easier while being able to get rid of the Rotom that can stop Jirachi if it's not +6. These EVs make it so that Tar will never be 2HKOed by Specs Latias's Surf while still having a 252 Attack EV. Crunch and Stone Edge offer good coverage while Pursuit stops things like Latias from running away. Aqua Tail has good neutral coverage and can 2HKO Hippowdon and Gliscor switch-ins.
---

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/176 Spd/80 SAtk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

And here we have the STAR(did I really just say that?)of the show. This thing can be an absolute monster for a few reasons. It can set-up on the biggest special wall Blissey and lower it's Special Defense with Serene Grace and Psychic and most people are expecting the Parahax set making setting up a bit easier. 101 subs make it so that Blissey's seismic toss won't break through and makes Jirachi's job of setting up Calm Mind easier. Flash Cannon is Jirachi's STAB which allows it to beat Tyranitar and Latias and Thunderbolt gives Jirachi some nice coverage since Flash Cannon hits few pokemon for SE damage. The EVs give Jirachi the ability to make 101 substitutes while being able to outspeed Adamant Salamence and Jolly Lucario, the rest are put into Special Attack.
---

I'll put threat list on the next thread because I feel it will be to big a post to read if it was attached to this one.

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
The Threat List

Green means they are not a problem for me.
Orange means they can cause a bit of trouble.
Red means they are very difficult to take down.

Offensive Threats:
Aerodactyl : Aero is usually a lead which Swampert can take down with 2 Ice Beams and Gengar can revenge kill, stops Smeargle from setting up Toxic Spikes but he isn't much of a threat.
---
Alakazam : These are pretty rare but Gengar can outspeed and kill, Specs/Scarf versions are outpredicted and killed by Tar's Pursuit.
---
Azelf : Eh, depends. They are usually leads and if they don't carry Taunt then I'm ok but if not I can switch to Tyranitar and kill.
---
Breloom : With Celebi gone he is a bit harder to take down but still manageable , let something low on HP take the Spore, from there it depends on moveset, if it carries Focus Punch/Seed Bomb or Focus Punch/Facade Gengar will have no problem hitting it with HP Ice but if it carries Focus Punch/Stone Edge Swampert can Roar it away. If I sac something Jirachi can come in and sub on the Spore. The addition of Gyarados with Ice Fang and Intimidate has made him easier to handle.
---
Electivire : While the number of Electric moves has increased even with a Motor Drive boost Gengar can revenge kill and Swampert still blocks.
---
Empoloen : The Agility sets with Grass Knot can be pretty annoying but the ones with Ice Beam aren't a huge problem, Gengar can revenge kill and Thunderbolt, Gyara can EQ, and Swampert can Roar away Grass Knotless variants.
---
Flygon : Since most Flygon are Choice Scarf sets just predicting what he will do can handle him. Gengar, Pert, and Gyara can switch to EQ. Pert can take Outrage and hit back with Ice Beam. Gengar and Gyara can switch into U-Turn. Gengar can also outspeed and kill with HP Ice.
---
Gengar :With the addition of Scarf Gengar to the team other Gengar have become less of a threat, my own Gengar can outspeed and kill and if I'm killed by a speed tie Tyranitar can come in and Pursuit.
---
Gyarados : Gyarados is usually handled by Swampert and Gengar, Gengar can outspeed any version and OHKO with Thunderbolt.
---
Heatran :Most Heatran are Choice Scarf sets and like Flygon all I really need to do it make a proper prediction. Swampert, or Tyranitar can take a Fire Blast. Gengar and Gyarados can take the Earth Powers. HP Ice or Dragon Pulse can be taken by Swampert, Tyranitar, or Jirachi.
---
Heracross : Don't see these very often but again these guys are usually scarfed so prediction is key.
---
Infernape : While Gengar has made this guy less of a threat if he's gone Mixape will ripe through this team. With the new Gyarados, Mixape isn't much of a problem anymore.
---
Jirachi : Jirachi used to be a problem but with Swampert's Roar and Gyarados being unafraid of non-scarf Jira with a DD under his belt he isn't as threatening.
---
Jolteon : Tyranitar can come in and pursuit on him while Gengar can kill with Shadow Ball.
---
Kingdra : Toxic Spikes really cripples this guy and Tyranitar gets rid of rain if it's up.
---
Latias : Tyranitar takes care of her but if he's gone Gengar can revenge kill with Shadow Ball and Jirachi can set up on her.
---
Lucario : This guy can be trouble but with Gengar and Jirachi able to revenge kill he can usually taken down before he causes to much damage. Gyarados doesn't care about this guy either.
---
Machamp : With Celebi gone Machamp has the power to do some serious damage to me, especially Anti-lead variants because they will take no damage. I might have to sac to get this guy down.
---
Magnezone : Magnezone's main job is to kill steels but Jirachi just sets up on it and he can't do anything else to any other member of this team.
---
Mamoswine : Can be a bit of a problem with his Ground+Ice coverage, Swampert can usually handle him.
---
Metagross : Most Metagross are leads these days and Smeargle just puts them to sleep. Non-leads are dealt with by Swampert, variants that don't carry Agility and Thunderpunch are also beaten by Gyarados and revenge killed by Gengar.
---
Porygon-Z : This guy might be pretty tough with STAB Tri-Attack and a monstrous Special Attack but Tyranitar and Gengar can deal with him. Jirachi can set up on him if he used Tri-Attack.
---
Rhyperior : Colonel M's SubPerior set can be a problem with Celebi gone, Swampert can shoot EQs but he can hit me from behind a sub and simply switch when it's gone.
---
Salamence : Thanks to Gengar's Choice Scarf and Swampert no longer being a lead Mence isn't as scary. HP Ice from Gengar and Pert's Ice Beam OHKO, Gyarados outspeeds with a DD and KOs with Ice Fang.
---
Scizor : CB Scizor is the most common set and this team doesn't worry about him. Bullet Punch does less then 20% to Jirachi without SR up and that lets Jira get a Sub and CM up. Swords Dance Scizor doesn't threaten Gyarados and Swampert can Roar him away, though he will take a big hit.
---
Starmie : Tyranitar can Pursuit him out and Gengar can revenge kill. Jirachi can set up on Starmie.
---
Togekiss : The hax can be really annoying and Aura Sphere can put a dent into Tyranitar. However Gengar can revenge kill and Jirachi can set up on him.
---
Tyranitar : Same as Salamence but instead of Ice Beam and HP Ice, Earthquake and Focus Blast.
---
Weavile : Gengar revenge kills plus Gyarados and Swampert can take him on.
---
Defensive Threat List:

Blissey : Jirachi can set up Calm Minds on Blissey and lower her Special Defense with Serene Grace and Flash Cannon . Swampert, Gyarados, and Tyranitar have no fear of Blissey and can take her down.
---
Bronzong : If you see these guys they'll be leads and Smeargle doesn't have any problems with this because he'll still just put him to sleep. Gengar can switch into incoming Expolsion and Swampert can take Gyro Balls.
---
Celebi : Tyranitar gets this pixie with STAB super effective Pursuits, Gengar can revenge kill with Shadow Ball and Jirachi can ususally set up on Celebi.
---
Cresselia : Tyranitar will get Cresslia with Pursuit as it switches and hinders it's recovery with his sandstorm.
---
Forretress : Forretress has become a bit more annoying because of his Rapid Spin powers and a lack of a Fire attack on my team. If Gengar tries to block the spin he might be hit by Payback or Gyro Ball.
---
Gliscor : Swampert isn't afraid of Gliscor and neither is Gyara with a DD. Gengar revenge kills with HP Ice and Tar 2HKOs with Aqua Tail.
---
Hippowdon : These hippos are always leads if used and are put to sleep by Spore.
---
Rotom-A: Even if Tyranitar is burned Rotom won't enjoy Choice Band Crunch or Pursuit and his lack of recovery outside of Rest makes him easier to knock out.
---
Skarmory : Kinda like Forretress but without the Rapid Spin capabilities and a weakness to Electric attacks making him easier to handle.
---
Snorlax : He doesn't enjoy taking hits from Choice Banded Stone Edge and Gyara can set up DDs on him while not worrying thanks to Intimidate.
---
Suicune: Jirachi can set up on him and hit with Thunderbolt, thankfully Toxic Spikes really hurt this guy but Crocune can rest the toxic off.
---
Swampert : With Salamence and his Draco Meteors gone Swampert is a bit tougher to take down, he eventually gets worn down but he does a very good job at stopping most pokemon on this team and walling Jirachi.
---
Tentacruel : Jirachi sets up on this guy and isn't bothered by the Toxic Spikes, however Tentacruel absorbing Toxic Spikes makes him annoying.
---
Vaporeon : Jirachi sets up on this dog, pretty much the same as Tentacruel except Vap hates Toxic Spikes.
---
Zapdos : Tyranitar can hurt with Stone Edge or Pursuit and most Zapdos aren't running full speed so Draco Meteor can put him down. Variants that don't carry HP Grass don't bother Swampert.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
ok man, first of all this is definitely a very good team. subcm jirachi is just so goddamn threatening, it can sweep so many teams on a moment's notice, and jirachi can bluff quite a few sets. the opponent thinks its a scarfed jirachi and send out rotom, only to get set up on. oh look, a jirachi! my skarmory walls thi-...fuck... so your team is based around a subcm jirachi sweep, obviously. i am going to try and see if i can make your team allow jirachi to sweep even more unscathed than it attempts to currently. to start, we must figure out what needs to be eliminated or severely weakened to allow sub calm mind jirachi to sweep. the main things you want to watch out for are heatran, magnezone, perish song celebi, and most faster things that can hit it SE. examples include salamence and infernape. you do this pretty well, but i definitely see some ways that could help you do this a whole lot better. the first thing i see is a lack of a way to deal with dragon dancers. you absolutely need a solid revenge killer - every team does! without one, things like gyarados, ddmence, ddtar, etc run all over you. now, you do have a solid revenge killer in the form of heatran, but heatran lacks the speed to outspeed these guys after they do their respective boosts. i highly suggest you replace heatran for a solid revenge killer. having two pokemon with choice scarf on a team is generally not a good idea. now, replacing heatran opens you up to lucario, big time. so i suggest using a ghost typed revenge killer. no, not the infamous scarf rotom, but gengar! gengar is oft overlooked because of scizor, but scarfrotom is just as much pursuit bait as scarf gengar. gengar, however, checks quite a few more threats with focus blast and explosion. i prefer timid, because using modest won't gain you any extra kills while timid lets you perform your job even if gyarados / tyraintar get in a second dragon dance. the gengar i suggest you use is

Gengar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
---

Hello,
I think that you should actually use a roserade lead to set up toxic spikes if this team is really based around a jirachi sweep as then you can stall some stuff out like calm mind blissey and cause switches what immensely helps jirachi out. If you still want stealth rock you can easily stick is on heatran who by itself causes a ton of switches. I recommend replacing dragon pulse or explosion with it. Other than that pretty solid team buddy.

Hello,
I think that you should actually use a roserade lead to set up toxic spikes if this team is really based around a jirachi sweep as then you can stall some stuff out like calm mind blissey and cause switches what immensely helps jirachi out. If you still want stealth rock you can easily stick is on heatran who by itself causes a ton of switches. I recommend replacing dragon pulse or explosion with it. Other than that pretty solid team buddy.
Actually, most threats to SubCM Jirachi are either unaffected by Toxic Spikes (e.g. Scarf Magnezone) or are too fragile to care about them (e.g. Infernape). Stealth Rocks are needed to ensure some KOs, mainly from Salamence and Tyranitar. And removing Swampert for Roserade would make this team very Heatran-weak. Stick with the Swampert lead.

This is a pretty good team, and I have only one suggestion.

I see that you have T-Tar, Jirachi, and Mence problems. To fix these three problems, I suggest replacing your Scarfed Heatran with a Choice Scarf Infernape.

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Rash nature
24 Atk / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
~ Fire Blast / Overheat
~ Close Combat
~ Hidden Power Ice
~ U-turn

Unlike Heatran, Infernape will outspeed anything up to +speed base 90 Scarfers, which includes most Jirachi and once-DD'ed Salamence. HP Ice allows you to revenge kill Mence even after it DD's up without losing coverage on Jirachi. In fact, Infernape arguably deals with Jirachi better since it even outspeeds most Scarfed Jirachis and hits them hard with Fire Blast/Overheat. Now to the threat of DD Tyranitar. Although Tran does outspeed, it can't do nearly enough damage to T-Tar with Earth Power. Ape, on the other hand, can solidly stop T-Tar with a powerful Close Combat. U-Turn is just good for scouting purposes and does respectable damage to Latias and Starmie.

That's it I guess, gl on your team!

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
I'm currently testing a Toxic Spikes lead and the Scarf Gengar but I'd like to hear anything else anyone would have to say.

Is psychic a better choice than flash cannon? I like the idea of having a STAB attack either way but was just wondering.
I haven't tried Flash Cannon to really tell you but I've been thinking about trying it.

With Flash Cannon you won't be lose to Tyranitar as easily, or at least that is my point of view after using SubCMJirachi.

Flash Cannon and Psychic both have their advantages.

Psychic allows you to deal with things like swampert & rotom *not to mention the rare CM Raikou* who otherwise wall you easily *plus clean kos things like machamp and is the strongest option vs zapdos, kingdra, jolteon, e-vire, ect*

While flash cannon is better vs things like tyranitar & cm latias which are very common and will otherwise dominate cm jirachi.

TT is very threatening to jirachi and can come in safely on a psychic. Not to mention without flash cannon jirachi stands no chance of winning the cm war with Latias which it can *usually* win and sweep with it's +6/+6 after if latias tries to stay in on it.

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
So after testing a few different versions of the team I've gotten around 1460 with this version pretty fast, I've updated the Team and Threat List post and wanted to see what people though of the new version.

Smeargle (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability:Own Tempo
EVs:4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Spore
- Toxic Spikes
- Endeavor
- Protect
Just a nitpick, why is Smeargle running attack EVs when he has no attacks? Just dump it all in HP or use the spread in the analysis

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Problems:

SD Scizor
SD Lucario

How to fix:

Yes, your biggest threats are part Steel-type. This is because of your CB Pursuit for Tyranitar. It is an easy SD for Scizor and somewhat Lucario. As for Scizor, its arguably the most scariest for this team. Without any legit resist your doomed. If SD Lucario predicts a ghost switch-in, it can us OHKO Gengar. I would suggest a Scarf Rotom in-place of Gengar for better resist but still remaining in-tact with a legit fire power for revenge killing.

Rotom-H
@ Choice Scarf
Modest (SpA+ / Atk-)
252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe

- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Overheat

This is probably your best replacement on the team. Resisting and outpacing Scizor is great. Lucario has a hard time pulling of an SD is not capable of OHKOing with Crunch if it predicts it right. Overall this is a better replacement, STAB Electric-type attack and Shadow Ball. It gets Overheat, which can OHKO Scizor and Lucario. Trick is magnificent, which can cripple Blissey switch-ins.

Other things you may want to consider is tweaking Swampertt's EV spread to 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpA. The 56 SpA is no longer required because Chomp is in uber. With 252 Def, you have I believe a really high chance of surviving Outrage from Salamence. (98% chance) I think. So you might want to consider that. Overall great team gl.

You try and voice yourself around your Nasty Plot Mixape weakness saying Gengar can take it down, but most Ape players unleash it's fury when it's at the very end of the game. You could fix your weakness, and add a threatening late game sweeper by giving BulkyGyara a try. BulkyGyara can threaten Infernape with powerful STAB Waterfalls, as he Intimidates Infernape while resisting both of his STAB moves. I recommend removing Salamence for this addition to your team.
Although you may see Salamence as a powerful sweeper, I'd like to point out that Gyarados has the same sweeping potential. If you were to remove anybody else from your lineup, your synergy would crumble. Hope I helped!

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
Haven't been online as much as I wanted by I'm still working on this team and here's the latest version of what I've got, it hit about a 1510 CRE and I still wanna know if there's anything wrong with it that I'm just blind to. Also updated the Threat List with the new version.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)