Generic OU team

After more than five years of on/off competitive battling, I finally decided to have a serious attempt at making a team. Unfortunately, it still has a ton of flaws, but that's where you guys come in.

The team at a glance:

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/6 Atk/252 Def
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Swampert may not seem that flashy, but he's a reliable lead. He gets in his SRs without much trouble and has no real threats but Roserade, which unfortunately leads into a free Poison Spikes. STAB Earthquake deals with a lot of the other leads. Also, it's probably not the way he's supposed to be used, but I use him to take hits too. All in all, this is pretty generic, but he does what he's supposed to.

Sonichu (Lucario) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 26 HP/232 Spd/232 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Calm Mind

Lucario is definitely the star of my team. While CM is very situational, if properly set up, it can really sweep like nothing else on my team can. Despite the great type coverage, he's still easily walled by bulky waters. Also, there's always the problem of finding a good time to switch in, especially with the prevalence of Flamethrower/HP-Fire and Earthquake.

As a bonus, this Lucario also is very effective against toxic Blisseys, and special Lucario is rather unexpected, especially against dragon types (that's so gimmicky, isn't it?).

If there's a Pokemon I'd like to keep on the team, Lucario is definitely it.

Rotom-h @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Shadow Ball
- Will-o-wisp

So Swampert has a problem with grass-types and Lucario with water-types, so that's where Rotom comes in. Great at revenge killing. And like every other Rotom, he's a great spin blocker. Will-o-wisp is pretty useful, but a lot less when he has a Choice item, so I think I need to switch that move out.

Clyde Cash (Scizor) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 200 HP/252 Atk/56 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Bulky Scizor. When you're in doubt about what you should pick, why not use the thing everyone else is using? This is also a very generic pokemon, but there's a reason for his popularity. All of that HP allows him to survive hits, but I don't use Roost as much as I should to make use of it. He's very versatile, but I wouldn't mind seeing him switched out for something more useful.

Julie (Latias) (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Recover

Yet another dragon counter. I could probably use her more effectively if I remember that she can outspeed a ton of Pokemon, especially Gyarados. However, there's always a problem against accidentally switching into Outrage or Draco Meteor. Recover is a good move, but only if I'm defending against the right Pokemon, so I might need to replace it, but Recover makes great use of its bulk too. Useful against countering the fire Pokemon that are super-effective against Lucario and Scizor.

Also, a half-hearted attempt to counter Gengar.

Barbara (Snorlax) (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Fire Punch

Sort of my sixth wheel. I chose this Pokemon out of trying to maintain a good balance of type weaknesses on my team. She's for switching into special attacks, but I'm not sure how effective she is at that. However, this is notably my only real counter against Gengar. I originally had this Pokemon as Curselax, but that had really bad type coverage.
--

Well, that's about it. I hope the descriptions are ok, because it would be such a shame to have this thread locked after all the time I spent oun it.

Swampert wants these EVs: 240HP/216Def/52Sp.A Relaxed
The Sp.A is there to OHKO Naive Salamence.

I suggest trying Trick > Will-o-wisp on Rotom to help vs. Stall.

If Scizor isn't working for you, that's because he isn't Choice Banded. Take the CB off of Snorlax, give it to Scizor, and run the Smogon standard CBScizor.

While you're at it, make Snorlax a CurseLax. Its great when paired with Scizor, since it can come in on nearly all of its counters. It also gives you a switch in to Roserade, which aids Swampert. Use Smogon's EVs with a moveset of:
-Curse
-Rest
-Fire Punch
-Body Slam
Try and predict Scizor switch-ins with Fire Punch, because your team hates CBScizor.

Snorlax, Scizor, and Swampert can all counter Gengar in a pinch. Just make sure that if it is a SubGar, you break its substitute before bringing Scizor in, as they commonly carry HP Fire.

ya on rotom-h i wuld switch wisp to trick to slap scarves on blissey and snorlax. Also I would use Curselax because it is great last pokemon when you cant be roared away. It is also good against stall teams with no perish song which could be a little bit of a problem. as you have no stallbreaker. Scizor is a good counter to gengar with no Hp fire so your ok there.

hey just a quick RMT,
Sorry i would have liked more time on this team as it has potential, but i have to go out lol. Anyway, really u will want to look at using latias as a revenge killer. This will give you the competitive edge over your opponent. He will take down ddancing gyarados, ddancing salamence, infernape etc and hits rediculously hard on those who dont resist draco meteor. Trick also allows you to totally fuck up stall teams!

Latias @Choice Scarf
Nature: Modest
Ev's: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Moves:
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Trick

Therefore you should look to cripple your opposition through a Status Support Rotom-h, to utilise a more effective sweep by your 'weird' lucario (if i had more i would fully tell u to change it ehh!). Anyway this rotom is extremely useful in all facets of the fast pace OU metagme. I cannot stress this point enough!

Rotom-h @Leftovers
Nature: Timid
Ev's: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Moves:
- Will -O - Wisp
- Thunder wave
- Thunderbolt
- Shadowball

Ok really have to go now! Hope it goes well and good luck.

Snorlax, Scizor, and Swampert can all counter Gengar in a pinch. Just make sure that if it is a SubGar, you break its substitute before bringing Scizor in, as they commonly carry HP Fire.
\

All right, thanks.

It's worth noting that you're using swarm on Scizor, despite there being absolutely no bug type attacks on him. Change it to technician.
Oh whoops. I should have noticed that.

ya on rotom-h i wuld switch wisp to trick to slap scarves on blissey and snorlax. Also I would use Curselax because it is great last pokemon when you cant be roared away. It is also good against stall teams with no perish song which could be a little bit of a problem. as you have no stallbreaker. Scizor is a good counter to gengar with no Hp fire so your ok there.
I'll make those changes.

I'm always afraid Gengar will have HP Fire though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)