What should be CAP 10's artwork?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
The face of this CAP will be decided by this one final poll. Good luck to both artists who have made it this far!

IMPORTANT: I really should not have to bring this up, considering how long we've been doing this, but everybody gets only ONE VOTE in this poll. Cheating with alternate accounts is a practice that has been considerably affecting this part of the project from a very early stage, and we've been checking against it avidly since CAP5. This is a crock that we shouldn't be dealing with at this stage in the project's history. If you cheat and vote twice, no matter how you try it, you WILL be identified and banned for a long time, and your vote will be discounted. Don't even try that shit.

reachzero said:
Name: Utility Counter
General Description: This Pokemon is capable of being customized to counter virtually any specific Pokemon, but is incapable of countering a large number of Pokemon at the same time.
Justification: It is not unusual for people to say that "versatility is broken" from an offensive standpoint; less attention is given to versatile defensive Pokemon such as Zapdos or Hariyama. This Pokemon would allow us to study the impact of having a Pokemon that is capable of dealing with such varied threats as Salamence, Lucario, and Gengar....but not all at once.
Questions To Be Answered:
--How useful is defensive versatility in a metagame with so many different threats to account for?
--Given the existence of a Pokemon that can hard counter only specific major threats, which threats will be prepared for the most?
--How would team building change if certain difficult-to-prepare-for threats became easier to prepare for?
--Which is more useful, a Pokemon that can somewhat handle a wide range of threats, or a Pokemon that can handle a few threats extremely well?
Typing: Water/Electric
Stat Spread: 151/84/73/83/74/105
Primary Ability: Trace
Secondary Ability: Magic Guard

Artwork:

Once again I vote Aragonbird. I think there is just too much going on with Cyzir's design, and can't see it spriting very well with that much complexity and translucency. The shrimp is simple, cute, and looks like it could do a lot of stuff.

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
Definatly Cyzir, I mean I can see how the shrimp might be fast but, no offense Aragon Bird, it just doesnt look bulky. So definatly voted Cyzir

Voting aragornbird. It seems like just what we need, looks like it could be fast, have loads of hp. Simple and sweet I say.

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I can't believe Cartoons! got so few votes in the last round. Yilx was supposed to be my next CAP of choice but it got even less.. >_>

I voted for aragornbird since Cyvirsheen's got wayy to much going on with. Seems nigh impossible to sprite (at least in 2D). Then again, its not like we care, we're not the ones who're spriting.

Cyzir's just seems a bit too busy and overdone. Once again I'm going with the simple and awesome design of Aragorn's shrimp.

Also why do people bother cheating? They're all pretty decent designs, does it really matter that much?

I voted for Aragornbird. I love the elegance and simplicity of the design. While the concept of a pokeprawn seems obvious in retrospect, we've yet to see one in the actual games. Angler fish, on the other hand, have two representatives in the games (albeit of the same evolution line), and of the same electric/water typing as CAP10 no less! For those voting on lack of apparent "bulkiness" due to the shrimp's size, you need to consider the large HP pools of smaller pokes like Vaporeon, Munchlax, Drifblim, Wigglytuff, and even the aforementioned Lanturn. A pokemon doesn't need to be huge to warrant high hit points. If you must justify the shrimp's substantial HP, then consider its powerful-looking, electro-charged shell.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Cyzir's design is overly busy, and also looks a bit too much like Lanturn IMO. (same concept base and all) Aragornbird's is simple and endearing.

Also, consider Celebi and Jirachi. Both are miniscule Pokemon with 100/100/100 defenses.

Voted Cyzir

While aragorn's shrimp looks fast Cyzir's look more HP, Trace and Magic Guard. I also like the design a bit more.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Voted for aragornbirds. I really like its simple features, and I love shrimp :) Cyzir's is great, but too.... overdone in my opinion. It's also more hilarious to imagine a shrimp countering everything.

I voted for aragornbird.

There is no particular reason like "it looks better", I just prefer the shrimp-puff to the living lighthouse. Both of them are equally good; we've already discussed that looks do not translate into stats, no matter how much people feel they ought to; and both of them deserve their places as the final design.

Voted for aragonbird, I think that it's really cute and I would love seeing Salamence die to a shrimp. I like Cyzir's too, but the shrimp has won me. Good job to all the artists tho, we had many nice contributions this CAP.

Both arts are awesome, but i voted for aragornbird simple because i prefer the simplicity of the design and i've been inclined to prefer pokemon that look more like real animals. But congratulations to Cyzir for getting this far.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
aragornbird, since I find it simple, and easy to sprite(from an outsider's point of view with relation to spriting) compared to CyzirVishhen's, as while it is good, it seems a bit too complicated, with a similar design to Lanturn.

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Voted for aragornbird; I prefer it's simplicity and sleekness as compared to Cyzir's design. Cyzir's design really sparkles (almost literally), but aragornbird is my choice between the both of them.

IMPORTANT: I really should not have to bring this up, considering how long we've been doing this, but everybody gets only ONE VOTE in this poll. Cheating with alternate accounts is a practice that has been considerably affecting this part of the project from a very early stage, and we've been checking against it avidly since CAP5. This is a crock that we shouldn't be dealing with at this stage in the project's history. If you cheat and vote twice, no matter how you try it, you WILL be identified and banned for a long time, and your vote will be discounted. Don't even try that shit.
One time I lost one account, so I made another. As long as I don't vote twice i should be okay, right?

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My vote is for Cyzir's piece. I like both drawings, but I find Cyzir's to be more complemented, and not so simple like aragornbird's one. It was hard to decide what to vote, though.

Voted for Aragornbird's design. I like how simple it is and yet drawn so good. I like Cyzir's as well but it resembles Bronzong too much for me. Sorry :P

I can't believe how many people are using 'spriting' as a reason to dismiss Cyzir's art. Either one can be sprited just fine. Voting for aragornbird is well and good but please do it on the basis of the art itself. I voted for Cyzir because I do not think it is too complicated; rather that 'interesting' is the right word. The shrimp still looks like a prevo and is way too plain for my taste. If it were possible to utilize aragornbird's idea about the lights corresponding to attack types it would add some intrigue but then the whole thread would have been different too and it still wouldn't make it look less like a prevo. It is a neat design but really needs an evolution. (or two....)

EDIT: and how the hell does everyone see Bronzong in that design?

One time I lost one account, so I made another. As long as I don't vote twice i should be okay, right?
Yeah, you'll be fine.
This was a tough choice for me, having wanting Paras Hilton to win all along and with both of these being so visually appealing. In the end I voted for aragonbird because of how simplistic it is. I really do like the design Cyzer submitted though, I can't say I'll be disappointed either way.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Voted CyzirVisheen for a couple of reasons
- It has a unique design. Also, I scratch my head at ANYBODY who claims to see Bronzong/Lanturn in that pic. On the same token, I do not find Cyzir's pic "overdone" at all.
- It looks shiny ^_^
- Also seems to match up with the base stats pretty well. aragornbird's shrimp looks like something with 76/135/77 HP/Def/SpDef, truthfully. I mean, when we look back at Crawdaunt and Kingler....

As far as aragornbird's design goes, as much as I like its simplicity (well perhaps, TOO simple) and concept, I hate shrimps IRL and I don't find it appealing for something that's supposed to be a utility counter. Sorry :(

Also why did Cyzir vote for the shrimp?

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Aragornbird's design is simple, ticks all the boxes and is deeply unique in itself.

Cyzir's just doesn't seem the same way. I'm not entirely sure what I don't like about it, but I think it's something to do with the fact that it is utterly incomprehensible as a design - somewhere between a trick box and a balloon full of egg yolk.

As far as stats go, neither looks particularly bulky, but that's okay, as neither do Vaporeon or Celebi. I can envisage the shrimp being faster but not terribly good offensively, whereas Cyzir's seems to be the opposite of that.

Oh, and lastly, can we please have a CAP at last that looks cute, as opposed to the monstrous/robotic/ghostly design that we've been accustomed to for yonks. Just because.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)