Lightningrod

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Thunder Wave now ignores the Ground immunity which would make Lightning Rod, Volt Absorb, and Motor Drive even more viable so you still have a good switch in to things like Blissey.
I just tested Thunder Wave against a Meguroko and it had no effect.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Agreeing how Zapdos can be a major threat. Heck Offensive Zapdos is strong in gen 4 (had some trouble with T-tar though) With Lightningrod Zpdos is going to work nicely with stuff like Suicune (who gets Water Absorb)

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I didn't know anything about the new moves. If you can, can you please post the move's stats and such? I'd appreciate it. :P
Wild Bolt: 90 BP, 100 Acc, 15 PP, 1/4 recoil. Shibirudon, Zeburaika, Luxray and Manectric learn it by level-up.

Yeah, recoil sucks.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
As a Raichu fanboy I'm slightly pleased. There is one humongous flaw with Lightning Rod being Raichu's ability... his lack of his access to encore. Encore is HUGE for Raichu, it lets him setup those oh-so precious Nasty plots!

Still... Lightning Rod boosting his Special attack can let him setup on special sweepers. Also 3+ Nasty plot is soooo awesome. No other viable electric types have Nasty plot so Raichu's niche as a nasty booster is still intact.

Pikachu and Raichu finally get the ability to actually switch in on an attack and could potentially use a Choice locked Electric attack to get up a Nasty Plot but they're still going to be outclassed by Manectric and Zapdos and will remain in the lower teirs.

I think you're underestimating a 3+ boost. While Manectric and Zapdos will remain *better* than Raichu, he still has that special niche.

PS: Volt Tackle with Lightning rod is illegal. D:

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
@PK Gaming: I don't think we know yet whether we can import pokemon into the Dream World, or if they're like event pokemon in that they can't get any egg moves. So it's conceivable that Raichu could still have access to Encore, or Pikachu could have Volt Tackle.

Wouldn't Lightningrod Seaking be pretty useful? It's no Swift Swim, but having only one weakness isn't too bad either. It is slow, though...

I excpect Zapdos to be seen more often and with this set, but I would hate to wonder if Zapdos would be its own check and the winner of the two be decided down to a measle Speed Tie.

So was there a change in how the ability works? Since this site is focused on single battles, and Lightningrod (WHICH HAS A LOWERCASE R NOT A CAPITAL R) is/was a NEGATIVE ability in single battles...

So was there a change in how the ability works? Since this site is focused on single battles, and Lightningrod (WHICH HAS A LOWERCASE R NOT A CAPITAL R) is/was a NEGATIVE ability in single battles...
Yes, there was. Did you not read even the first lines of the first post?

If the item information on Pokejungle is correct, there is a consumable (1 time) item called "Rechargeable Battery" that also boosts Sp. attack when hit by an electric-type attack. Combine that with any Lightningrod Pokemon and that's a free Nasty Plot switch in.

Do we know if the "rechargeable battery" overrides Lightningrod or not? Either way it could see some use, if only for gimmick reasons, on something like Starmie or Gengar.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Hey, how about mixed Rock Polish Rhyperior:

Rhyperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightningrod
Naive/Hasty
EVs: 228 Atk/76 SpA/204 Spe
IVs: 29 HP
-Rock Polish
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast
-Stone Edge

EVs yield a guaranteed OHKO on Spiker Skarmory (252 HP/0 SpD) at +1 SpA after SR and Leftovers, and enough speed to outpace Scarf Tyranitar after a Rock Polish.

:P

Raichu is my favorite Pokemon, so it is excellent that he gets LightningRod...but again, it is outclassed...Encore is awesome and most likely Raichu won't be able to use that combo. Also, a mixed Raichu would have been awesome and it appears that VT won't be usable. Still...this?

Raichu @ Choice Scarf
252 Spe, 252 SpAtk, 4 HP
Timid
Thunderbolt
Volt Change
Grass Knot/HP Ice
Focus Blast/HP Ice

Raichu comes in, gets a boost, Volt Changes out quickly to scout. Can also cause damage with fantastic coverage of TBolt/GKnot/FBlast/HPice.

Or...

USE THE BOOST TO GET THROUGH!

Raichu @ Life Orb
SAME AS ABOVE, SNITCHES
-Agility/Nasty Plot
-Thunderbolt
-HP Ice
-Grass Knot

Speed or SpAtk? You decide and then go for the sweeperous.

Oh Raichu...you are one of the most prominent Pokemon, a face to it of sorts. But Nintendo hates you =X

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Raichu is my favorite Pokemon, so it is excellent that he gets LightningRod...but again, it is outclassed...Encore is awesome and most likely Raichu won't be able to use that combo. Also, a mixed Raichu would have been awesome and it appears that VT won't be usable. Still...this?

Raichu @ Choice Scarf
252 Spe, 252 SpAtk, 4 HP
Timid
Thunderbolt
Volt Change
Grass Knot/HP Ice
Focus Blast/HP Ice

Raichu comes in, gets a boost, Volt Changes out quickly to scout. Can also cause damage with fantastic coverage of TBolt/GKnot/FBlast/HPice.

Or...

USE THE BOOST TO GET THROUGH!

Raichu @ Life Orb
SAME AS ABOVE, SNITCHES
-Agility/Nasty Plot
-Thunderbolt
-HP Ice
-Grass Knot

Speed or SpAtk? You decide and then go for the sweeperous.

Oh Raichu...you are one of the most prominent Pokemon, a face to it of sorts. But Nintendo hates you =X
My only issue with the first set is that it has trouble differentiating itself from the likes of Manectric, who boasts higher specially offensive stats, Lightning rod and access to overheat.

(It can run T-bolt, Volt Change, Overheat and HP Grass for pretty much the same coverage as Raichu :( )

The second set does look cool... with the way gen 5's shaping up Raichu needs all of the speed he can get. (I'd still make Nasty plot a primary slash though)

As for GF hating Raichu... eh he got some nice tools this gen.

He might have gotten some tools..but compared to the other electric types, he got shafted. I love the Encore sets so I'll probably be sticking with Static.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
So yeah, with the confirmation of passing DW abilities:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79340&page=10

Raichu can now abuse Encore + Lightningrod.

I'm thinking Raichu should run this set in the new OU standard.

Raichu @ Life Orb
-Agility / Nasty plot
-Encore
-Electra Ball
-Focus Blast

The trick is to switch into an electric type move and encore said move (or a move that doesn't harm you) if they stay in you get 2+ Special attack, and a free turn to use agility. Electra Ball is going to definetely hurt when Raichu reaches 656 after an agility boost. Focus Blast is basically a necessity in gen 5, especially with Nuttre lurking around every corner and the coverage with Electra Ball is good.

Best of all, he's the only one who can pull this off. No other electric type can do this!

So yeah, with the confirmation of passing DW abilities:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79340&page=10

Raichu can now abuse Encore + Lightningrod.

I'm thinking Raichu should run this set in the new OU standard.

Raichu @ Life Orb
-Agility / Nasty plot
-Encore
-Electra Ball
-Focus Blast

The trick is to switch into an electric type move and encore said move (or a move that doesn't harm you) if they stay in you get 2+ Special attack, and a free turn to use agility. Electra Ball is going to definetely hurt when Raichu reaches 656 after an agility boost. Focus Blast is basically a necessity in gen 5, especially with Nuttre lurking around every corner and the coverage with Electra Ball is good.

Best of all, he's the only one who can pull this off. No other electric type can do this!
Very interesting! but bit too gimmicky relying on the opponent to hit you with a Electric attack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)