Gen 3 ADV UU: mouths

I've been using this team with slight variations for somewhere around 3 years now, and it has had a very high winning percentage during that run. In a metagame that was (and still is) dominated by stall-oriented teams centering around Omastar spikes, this team is known for hitting very hard, very quickly, and opposing teams struggle to have enough reliable counters to address all the threats throughout the course of a match.

I've been using this team for so long, and have offered its services to various players in need of a team, that I figured now would be the best time to just post it for posterity, especially since ADV UU is pretty much a dead generation -- though I can always hope for a revival somewhere down the line!

I'd like to thank the fine dudes of UUSF for all of the matches and help they've given in making this team.

Walrein (M) @ Leftovers ** tusky mouths
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Encore
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam
- Surf

The true bread and butter of this team. I have been in more than a few matches where I have swept an entire team without ever switching this out. For years, Walrein was a middling presence in the UU metagame - renowned for his high HP and defense, but his special capabilities and speed potential were largely overlooked, leaving him a Pokemon that would reliably sit there and be fat, but not be an exceptional offensive threat. This relatively simple EV spread and moveset changed all that. The three attack spread is dangerous in UU, especially being fired from one of the higher base SAtks in the metagame, and Encore provides support in critical moments. The speed puts him above almost all defensive Pokemon, and paired with Encore can sometimes enable Walrein to defeat the two most common special walls Hypno and Grumpig.

Granbull (M) @ Leftovers ** angry mouths
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Heal Bell
- Shadow Ball

Again, a very simplified EV spread. I'm sure if I spent time obsessing over a calculator, I could tweak this to be more efficient, but it has worked quite well for its purpose. Heal Bell provides crucial support to a team that thrives on being as fast as possible, and the high defense + Intimidate means this Bull can switch in on a wide variety of physical attackers and do its business.

Pinsir (M) @ Leftovers ** pinching mouths
Trait: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spd
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Swords Dance

Pinsir. One Swords Dance is usually all it takes. The EV spread helps in bolstering Pinsir's survivability with its above-average defense for a sweeper; after one Swords Dance, it can reliably 2HKO even the most defensive Gligar spreads with Double-Edge, while Gligar cannot come close to KOing back with HP Flying. The added power of Double-Edge over Return is critical when the opposing Pokemon takes neutral from HP Bug and Earthquake. It doesn't outspeed rival Kangaskhan or Nidoking very often, but will often beat either one on one.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Choice Band ** scolding mouths
Trait: Early Bird
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Fake Out
- Shadow Ball

CB Kangaskhan. It fell out of popularity as people switched to bulkier Rest and Wish variations in the stall metagame, but a team that does not have a physical wall still intact will lose to this easily. CB Fake Out is used as a Quick Attack against Reversalers that otherwise can do a lot of damage to this team.

Hypno (M) @ Leftovers ** tired mouths
Trait: Insomnia
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Reflect
- Toxic
- Wish

The main support member. Reflect helps with the rest of the team's general frailty to physical attackers, while Toxic is used to spread some status and potentially catch opposing Shedinjas unawares. Wish support becomes especially important with none of the team's members packing any sort of reliable recovery.

Electrode @ Petaya Berry ** grinning mouths
Trait: Static
EVs: 12 HP / 60 Atk / 184 Spd / 252 SAtk
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt

The dark horse of the team. Many people have traditionally preferred Manectric, Electabuzz, or Pikachu as their electric in UU, primarily because of their (slightly) expanded movepools and (slightly) higher special attack. Of these, however, Electrode is arguably the best; what it doesn't have in SAtk, it makes up for in its overwhelming speed and access to Explosion, which even at Electrode's low Attack KOs or severely cripples all standard UU Pokemon that don't resist it. Electrode's higher-than-average SDef allows it some surprising switch-ins, and Petaya boosts it to 426 SAtk; the opponent is forced to make some hard predictions at this point, either risking their physical wall be taken out by HP Ice or anything else being taken out by Explosion.

The speed is to ensure outspeeding Reversal/Flail users in the metagame (which due to their speed tiers, often opt for Liechi instead of Salac) as well as Rain Dance users like Omastar who boost their speed to 180 for the same purpose.

----

From a problems perspective, this team, as many ADV UU teams, can have a hard time with Fighting types, often requiring a lot of creative switching to take down. Early spikes also cause a lot of issues, especially if the opposing team has the sort of Pokemon required to address this team's threats consistently. No particular Pokemon causes persistent issue that can't be played around - it's really just a matter of knowing where the team can take damage where.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
not much to say, this is a quality team. your wailment is a strong man and surprisingly fast too.

Maybe Rock Slide over HP Bug on Pinsir. Otherwise, I can't say much else.
Rock Slide doesn't really help with anything since the few Flying types in UU will already take huge damage from Double-Edge. If anything you could swap Rock Slide in for D-E but as stated he wants that for hitting Gligar hard, which Rock Slide wouldn't.

BPC

"Silence is the best answer to a stupid question"
I just saw the team and am using it on Pokemon Online,is there something wrong with this?

I just saw the team and am using it on Pokemon Online,is there something wrong with this?
In general, you shouldn't be bumping really old threads (this one or the other 2 your bumped) unless you have something important to bring to the discussion (for example, rebooting an old forum project or bringing back a metagame discussion thread to talk about how the metagame's been developing). For something like "nice team," it's better to just shoot the OP a VM or PM showing your appreciation than to necro a 3-year-old thread~

BPC

"Silence is the best answer to a stupid question"
In general, you shouldn't be bumping really old threads (this one or the other 2 your bumped) unless you have something important to bring to the discussion (for example, rebooting an old forum project or bringing back a metagame discussion thread to talk about how the metagame's been developing). For something like "nice team," it's better to just shoot the OP a VM or PM showing your appreciation than to necro a 3-year-old thread~
Ok sorry about that,I apologize.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)