Rarely Used (RU) Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.

breh

強いだね
Odd and hypothetical questions here...

If the main reason Manaphy is banned from OU is due to Tail Glow, does that mean Volbeat would/should be banned from RU (to be playable in UU) since not only it has Tail Glow, but it can Baton Pass the boost, as well?

If no, and when a new NU teir starts up, will Volbeat (potentially) be the best SpAtk based Poke in that tier?
While I realize this is highly irrelevant,

Volbeat is simply not good. With its massive defenses of 65/55/75, it is very easy to KO. 85 Base Speed does it no favors.

Finally, the main reason Manaphy was banned was not Tail Glow. It was more (at least, in my opinion), Calm Mind, FULL INSTANT RECOVERY, immunity to status... basically, if you didn't kill it in one turn, you were screwed. simple as that.

@Above: I'm not sure why it has no forum, but it really should.

Odd and hypothetical questions here...

If the main reason Manaphy is banned from OU is due to Tail Glow, does that mean Volbeat would/should be banned from RU (to be playable in UU) since not only it has Tail Glow, but it can Baton Pass the boost, as well?

If no, and when a new NU teir starts up, will Volbeat (potentially) be the best SpAtk based Poke in that tier?
65/55/75 defenses are pretty bad. Volbeat does have an interesting movepool though.

What about lickilicky?Clefable's defenses are 95/73/90 where lickilicky is 110/95/95

Now Clefable has a better movepool overall iirc but if we are talking cleric then lickilicky isn't to bad. It doesn't have magic guard but it has healbell. I'm testing it out and so far it's alright.
It's not alright, it's incredible! Thank you so much for suggesting this because Licky is just perfect as a special wall. He passes massive Wishes and has access to Heal Bell and Dragon Tail making him a great team player and very hard to break down. Magic Guard doesn't seem to be a big miss so far and Hail teams are few and far between anyway. Overall I would heartily recommend Lickilicky over Clefable!

It's not alright, it's incredible! Thank you so much for suggesting this because Licky is just perfect as a special wall. He passes massive Wishes and has access to Heal Bell and Dragon Tail making him a great team player and very hard to break down. Magic Guard doesn't seem to be a big miss so far and Hail teams are few and far between anyway. Overall I would heartily recommend Lickilicky over Clefable!
Dtail thats great. I need a new phazer. My probopass is good but my type synergy is abysmal. I need to try this Dtail licky, oh and you're welcome :D

Isn't cress ru? So wouldn't that be the best speial walk? For the record haven't played ru yet.
They perform different roles. Cress works best as a beastly boosting tank or sweeper whereas Clefable and Lickilicky are walls that support and heal the team. Cress would make a great wall but it lacks a few crucial support moves such as hazards, phazing, wish and cleric that keep it from being effective in that role.

Dtail thats great. I need a new phazer. My probopass is good but my type synergy is abysmal. I need to try this Dtail licky, oh and you're welcome :D
At the risk of sounding a little overdramatic, I'm gonna tentatively say that Lickilicky is better in RU than Chansey/Blissey are in OU. This is because Licky has access to phazing that Chansey dreams of. If Chansey got Whirlwind, or even Circle Throw, that blob would be on a whole new level of ugly and this is exactly what Licky is in RU.

I have faced all the 'premier' special attackers in the tier that people have been raving on about and none of them were close to a 2HKO, many moves were barely 3HKOing. A +3 Cress' Psychic took off around a third of Licky's health and Licky could Wish and Dragon Tail and be back on nearly full health with Leftovers. The ability to phaze is what makes it, and Licky would not be good if it couldn't get rid of a Quiver Dancer or Calm Minder. Plus Licky can take boosted Physical hits too, surviving a CB Entei's Flare Blitz when I over predicted. He's just incredible in this tier. And thanks again for suggesting Licky! Clefable will have to sit on the sidelines while I try to find a reason not to use him because so far he's been a defensive rock.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
In curious, will RU get a sub-forum?
Just posting here to keep things clear.

RU/NU will not get a sub-forum until UU and OU have been deemed stable by the leaders of those respected tiers. RU is on the bottom of everyone's priority list atm, and it will stay that way for a while. Even if and when RU gets a sub-forum, we may not start suspect testing until a little later.

So, right now, no matter how shitty or broken things are in the metagame, it's going to stay like that (for the time being anyway). It's a metagame that won't change by us, it'll change through UU and OU changing.

Also, those who have been playing RU exclusively instead of UU, please play a little more UU so that the tiering situation there can be solved (not that you have to stop playing RU though). The quicker UU and OU get settled, the quicker RU will be settled.

Some food for thought.

EDIT: Also I realize this thread is crap and we have no list that shows what Pokemon are up for grabs, so if someone could be awesome enough to make such a list, they would be forever the best person ever.

EDIT: Also I realize this thread is crap and we have no list that shows what Pokemon are up for grabs, so if someone could be awesome enough to make such a list, they would be forever the best person ever.
I've been doing this pretty extensively but nobody is paying much attention to my lists and the fact that this is a thread means that my lists get buried in lower pages D:

You should put your lists in a thread of their own, then they'll get the recognition they deserve. There is a UU threat list so why not start a RU one.

Well, I did it. I wasn't sure where to put it so I just put it on the main part of Dragonspiral Tower. Hopefully now some people can relocate there to give some more insight in this metagame rather than this clusterfuck of a thread.

While I realize this is highly irrelevant,

Volbeat is simply not good. With its massive defenses of 65/55/75, it is very easy to KO. 85 Base Speed does it no favors.

Finally, the main reason Manaphy was banned was not Tail Glow. It was more (at least, in my opinion), Calm Mind, FULL INSTANT RECOVERY, immunity to status... basically, if you didn't kill it in one turn, you were screwed. simple as that.

@Above: I'm not sure why it has no forum, but it really should.
Agreed.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Speed

- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Surf
- Coverage

Good luck taking that out in one hit after a Calm Mind. Think CroCune on steroids.

Volbeat dosen't even come close.

I know MC and NVE (lol two different groups? yes) didn't have threads they just made a fan club, maybe that's what we should do, you until OU and UU get themselves sorted out. (lazy slowpokes).

SOrry for the unintentional pokemon reference.

@ No Luck Involved; what's your EV spread if i may ask. I'm not sure which defense to put my EV's into
Well I'm using Licky as a special wall so I maxed HP and SpDef and put the remainder into Def: HP 252/4 Def/252 SpDef, Careful Nature. Pretty simple spread really. Set is: Wish, Protect, Heal Bell, Dragon Tail. I find that Stealth Rock is the only hazard you need in this tier because Bug, Flying and Fire types are common and you get the occassional Hail team too and they all take decent damage from SR. Once you come in on a Yanmega and phaze him out, he'll struggle to come in again. Just make sure you have a back up against SubCM Cress because Sub will block your Dragon Tails. I use Quagsire alongside Licky as a defensive partnership and they have been able to stall most things out so far. I'm looking at Umbreon as a Special wall too since it gets some pretty neat moves but it doesn't have the raw bulk of Licky...

Well, I did it. I wasn't sure where to put it so I just put it on the main part of Dragonspiral Tower. Hopefully now some people can relocate there to give some more insight in this metagame rather than this clusterfuck of a thread.
It is greatly appreciated.

^You're not gaining any notable coverage with Extrasensory. Super Effective Extrasensory is weaker than neutral full-health Eruption and Fire Blast, and neutral Extrasensory is weaker than NVE full-health Eruption and Fire Blast. Focus Blast and Hidden Power are better options for coverage.

For the risk of sounding like a idiot, would rain dish peliper work as a rain setter upper. It gets rain dance (of course), STAB hydro pump/surf, STAB hurricane, roost, 100 def, 85 sp atk (which I'm pretty sure is good to decent in ru), rain dish, fantasic typing, and u-turn + 65 spd means your sweeper usually comes in without a scratch.

Before you just say it sucks, could you test it (I can't tonight and if I don't post this now, I will forget)

For the risk of sounding like a idiot, would rain dish peliper work as a rain setter upper. It gets rain dance (of course), STAB hydro pump/surf, STAB hurricane, roost, 100 def, 85 sp atk (which I'm pretty sure is good to decent in ru), rain dish, fantasic typing, and u-turn + 65 spd means your sweeper usually comes in without a scratch.

Before you just say it sucks, could you test it (I can't tonight and if I don't post this now, I will forget)
If your looking for a bulky rain dancer, I'd stick with blastoise. He gets rain dish too, but is generally just a better poke because of greater bulk and utility.

If your looking for a bulky rain dancer, I'd stick with blastoise. He gets rain dish too, but is generally just a better poke because of greater bulk and utility.
I'd rather use him for better things. LOL I got rain danced by an entei earlier today though. Did not see that coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)