Regigigas Discussion

A pokemon with simply amazing bst, great movepool, decent typing. But his ability blows more coke than charlie sheen. Lets take a look at this underwhelming slaking broski.

BST
110/160/110/80/110/100

Movepool (Bolded moves are what's up)
--: Fire Punch
--: Ice Punch
--: Thunderpunch
--: Dizzy Punch
--: Knock Off
--: Confuse Ray
--: Foresight
Lv 25: Revenge
Lv 40: Wide Guard
Lv 50: Zen Headbutt
Lv 65: Payback
Lv 75: Crush Grip
Lv 90: Heavy Bomber
Lv 100: Giga Impact

Toxic
Hidden Power
Sunny Day
Hyper Beam
Rain Dance
Safeguard
Frustration
Knock Down
Thunderbolt
Thunder
Earthquake
Return
Brick Break
Double Team
Rock Tomb
Aerial Ace
Facade
Sing A Round
Focus Blast
Fling
Payback
Vengeance
Giga Impact
Rock Polish
Stone Edge
Thunder Wave
Rock Slide
Swagger
Rock Smash
Strength

Everyone knows why he is bad, Slow start halves his attack and speed for 5 turns, which is honestly a pretty long time, but he does have a great natural bulk and the movepool to stall long enough to make himself useful.

Heres the set I've been running in RU to great effect.

Regigigas @ Leftovers
Careful (+Sdef -Satk)
Hp252 Atk4 Sdef252
~ Knock Off
~ Frustration
~Thunder Wave
~ Confuse Ray/Substitute

This guy is my excellent Utility counter to alot of threats in RU, knock-off is a godsend in a teir where usually atleast one (alot of the time more) pokemon are using an eviolite. And Also hurts those pokemon that love their leftovers regeration. With the way his massive bulk is proportioned, he can take a Focus Blast from a Specs Alakazam, So you know he can take a bug buzz from the omni-present Yanmegas then criple them with thunderwave. Not to mention that frustration, even without investment is able to break subs on most people even before your ability wears off. He has an incredibly hard time against sub split ghosts, and steel types. but if your able to check those with team support he becomes a giant monster that the opponent, crippling people left and right. The most important thing to remember is not to get excited about finishing slow start that you misplay. Play him as though he wasnt that strong, but after those five turns he does wreck.

Get out there and have fun.

It's a shame the only form of recovery it gets is Drain Punch from 4th gen TMs. You could slash that in the fourth slot so rocks and steels don't wall you.

Seems really interesting, it's ability cant be too crippling considering how it still has base 110 defensive stats and 80 attack with 50 Spe shouldnt be too bad. It still has much better bulk that most of the tier, bulk even rivaling Cresselia (with better typing). It's main problem is probably lack of a niche outside of Knock off so it faces competition from Clefable

Just use some sort of special set, thunder and earthpower/focus blast, and maybe a hidden power, are all pretty good. Outside of that use whatever, go with toxic, thunderwave, or substitute, maybe just throw return in as filler for the last slot.

Fully invested and with a positive nature he got the same speed/atk as a 33/50 Base Pokemon with fully invested EVs and a positive nature, when slow start is active.
Really even though Slow start by definition: "Temporarily halves Attack and Speed." and half of 160 and 100 is 80 and 50. To be specific, a neutral nature with no EV's give Regigigas an attack of 356. Half that and your at 178 and Girafirig; who has base 80 attack, has 196 attack uninvested and 18 points isnt much of a difference. so its like base 71 attack. You put it into thirds not halves...

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
That's not how stats work--you never divide the base stats in half.

He means something like this: max invested Regigigas has 460 Attack. Half that, you have 230 Attack--and max attack Girafarig has 284. Now that's starting to look like a big difference, eh? Max Attack Alakazam (lol) has 218 max attack. With base 55 Attack, you'll reach 229 Max attack. That means if you bother to run a 252 Adamant Regigigas, it will be hitting as hard as a Ferroseed. So if you fully invest in attack/ speed you will get a lot lower than 80/50 stats.

This is because if you invest more EVs, then you're essentially getting ripped off by having 8 EVs equal to 1 stat point. What does that mean? If you're running Regigigas, you should never invest anywhere close to maximum Attack / speed unless you're so so so so sure that you're going to wear out slow start. If you're investing in consistent offenses, you might as well go special.

Baton Pass candidate? Yeah, I never use Regigigas bar doubles and triples in tandem with my stat boosting Snorlax.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Impish (+Def -SpA)
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Stockpile
Belly Drum
Rest
Last Resort

Regigigas @ Leftovers
Impish (+Def -SpA)
252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD
Psych Up
Foresight
Drain Punch
Return

Yeah, even then, it's okay...unless I pull it off.

@ScarfWynaut Special Regigigas is ridiculously bad, it doesn't even get a STAB attack outside of Round. Cresselia outclasses Special Regigigas in every way. The Parafusion set is, quite honestly, the only set witha chance of working, and what's even worse: Phasing, Regigigas's worst enemy, is huge in this tier, so its only good as the last poke.

That's not how stats work--you never divide the base stats in half.

He means something like this: max invested Regigigas has 460 Attack. Half that, you have 230 Attack--and max attack Girafarig has 284. Now that's starting to look like a big difference, eh? Max Attack Alakazam (lol) has 218 max attack. With base 55 Attack, you'll reach 229 Max attack. That means if you bother to run a 252 Adamant Regigigas, it will be hitting as hard as a Ferroseed. So if you fully invest in attack/ speed you will get a lot lower than 80/50 stats.

This is because if you invest more EVs, then you're essentially getting ripped off by having 8 EVs equal to 1 stat point. What does that mean? If you're running Regigigas, you should never invest anywhere close to maximum Attack / speed unless you're so so so so sure that you're going to wear out slow start. If you're investing in consistent offenses, you might as well go special.
Thats assuming max EV's in comparison to max EV's. I was refering to the set posted which was defensive. Why would anyone run offensive Regigigas? Why would I even be referencing to an offensive Regigigas? lol. The point I was trying to get across is that his ability doesnt make him set up fodder.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The set in the OP pulls out Regigigas potential as a bulky monster the best imo. It's a shame that it doesn't get Protect :/

Swagger + Psych Up with Frustration and EQ can be a combo to make use of its 160 base Atk, but it can back-fire, and may not be worth the set-up just to reach 460.

SubPunch Regigigas may work. You don't need a lot of Atk to hurt stuff with Focus Punch. I'd probably go Max Atk and invest the rest in HP / defense to make an impenetrable Sub to waste Slow Start. Toxic would pair up well to stall out Ghost types that it can't touch, although a Pursuiter would be best.

So, back to relative discussion of Regigigas, wouldn't Regigigas work amazingly with Baton Pass, mainly Smeargle with Ingrain (I thought Cradily got BP... sorry :/)? Ingrain passing means Regigigas can not be phased, gives it tons of recovery per turn, and loves a Smash (it brings him back to normal levels, doesn't it?) , allowing it to easily sweep during the 5 turns of Slow Start.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, I have been using the set in the OP, with Substitute as the last move. It completely wrecks teams that depend too much on speed. He can come in on guys like Yanmega, Paralyze them, and set up a Sub to either stall out Slow Start or get a free T-Wave/Knock Off on a switch in. And if you can stall out Slow Start, even un-invested he hits hard. Ghosts and status can be a problem though. I personally use a Heal Bell Umbreon with it to take car of statuses. Also, I have been trying it with a Bulk Up passing Floatzel. It is not easy to pull off, but if you do he becomes a ridiculous mixed tank, and hits like a truck, even before Slow Start wears off.

I would say that Stone Edge/Rock Slide as an option for better coping with Yanmega, such as with specially bulky Munchlax. After all, Frustration is doing a maximum of 32.9% to a 68 Def Mega (or 35.5% to a 4 Def one), which isn't even a KO after SR, whereas Stone Edge deals a more respectable 72.8-86.9% (or 79.2-93.3% on the 4 Def variant). Anywho, all I have to say when it comes to a support set is that it has to capitalize on Knock Off and Twave, otherwise you're basically deciding to play a poor man's Munchlax.

I'm a bit curious about this poke though. For instance, has anyone tested the viability of Gravity? It's a neat little tool he gets that I think could help quite a bit on Stall teams, especially TSpike-focused ones. Also, I'd like to see whether or not he can play a offensive set with a little support (Dual Screens and such). Maybe something like Sub+TWave or Sub+RP?

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
They already nerfed Regigigas by giving it NO set-up moves like Work Up / Bulk Up / Hone Claws. Did they really have to deny effective means to stall out the 5-turns??

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Please don't go off topic, this thread is only for discussing the use of regigigas in ru, not whether musharna is good at baton passing or how good regigigas is in other metagames.

Knock off is a very underrated move and the set in the op looks incredibly annoying. I have seen twave/confuse ray/sub/return and that thing is better at stalling out turns for slow start, but knock off is really really good if you're just using it for a status platform.

I agree entirely with using substitute if you are trying to use gigas to IT'S full potential. but you shouldn't (in my opinion) due to having much better offensive options, he makes an excellent utility counter to the major special hitters with crippling paralysis. If he gets five turns, then he can do some damage but don't get caught up in that and let it die while yanmega remains unchecked.

I tried a Sub-stall Regigigas on a team with Paralysis and Screen support in NU last generation.
Sub, Return/Body Slam, Earthquake, Stone Edge/Rock Slide @ Leftovers with enough HP EVs for 404 Subs. I experimented with the Spe EVs to outspeed various Spe tiers, and the rest went into Atk. I tried Salac and less Spe too.

Oh boy. This guy.

At first glance, Regigigas apperas to be incredible. Massive stats, good typing, alright movepool... etc. It has no moves to boost stats, but it has enough power as it is.

And then Gamefreak gave it a bad ability.

Slow Start is arguably the worst ability in the game, halfing your Attack and speed for five turns. Why? My guess is that they wanted something to offset Regigigas's power. And yet they allow Deoxys-A to runaround with an unhandicapped 180 Attack and Sp. Attack AND 150 Speed? Granted, it can be destroyed like a bull in a china shop, but you get the point.

However, my thoughts turn to how to remove this ability. In Doubles/Triples, you can let another Pokémon Skill Swap with you, particularly something that doesn't mind a lowered Attack and Speed, like Blissey. You could also use Gastro Acid on it if you have to. You could also implement Mummy, but I'd personally go with the other options. Of course, you could take it like a man, if you have the patience. It has the bulk to survive those turns, and Rest is always an opti-

From Bulbapedia:
All Pokémon that can learn TMs can learn Rest except Regigigas.

But, at least it can Protect itself unti-

From Bulbapedia:
All Pokémon that can learn TMs can learn Protect except Regigigas.

OK, that's just silly.

So, in short, Regigigas has NO way of healing, NO way of boosting stats, and a bad, bad ability. You look past that, though, and Regigigas can hit HARD after Slow Start expires. Really hard.

It can still use sub along with very good bulk to stall out turns along with parafusion, but then it cant hit rocks, steels, and ghosts.
I need to use that brain thing more often.

What it could do is run Revenge or Payback for coverage. While Revenge covers more of Regigigias's weaknesses and is unaffective on Ghosts, Payback works especially better with Slow Start in play, but it resisted by Steels. Pick your poison.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)