Reuniclus

How hard does Spiritomb hit, though? Enough to KO through a couple of CM boosts? Or, on the physical side, with a Ghost move or Sucker Punch (which leaves you open to it CMing more). This assumes Reun has Shadow Ball/HP Fire/something, obviously.
Standard Renkulus normally carry Focus Blast/Psychic or Psyshock.

If Renk has Shadow Ball to hit Tomb:

If Renkulus has Calm Mind, it can't run Recover, meaning it will be worn down by physical attacks by Tomb.
If Renkulus has Recover, it can't run Calm Mind, which means it won't break Tomb [It won't outdo Rest, or even Pain Split]

Otherwise:
If Renkulus has both, it's completely walled.
If Renkulus forgoes Focus Blast, Tyranitar murders it

TrickBand Spiritomb is an incredible counter against him which can either kill it with Sucker Punch, do a hefty chunk of damage with Pursuit or disable it completely with Trick. Only problem is Spiritomb don't really hold up well against anything else on a team with Reun on it.

Part of my favourite evolutionary line of the new gen. Reuniclus is a fantastic Trick Room sweeper thanks to it's laughable 20 base speed. And BW bestowed a fantastic gift upon Psychic-types: Psyshock. Magic Guard should also be noted as it gives Reuniclus a recoil free Life Orb.

Sadly I haven't had time to experiment with other sets :/

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Part of my favourite evolutionary line of the new gen. Reuniclus is a fantastic Trick Room sweeper thanks to it's laughable 20 base speed. And BW bestowed a fantastic gift upon Psychic-types: Psyshock. Magic Guard should also be noted as it gives Reuniclus a recoil free Life Orb.

CM+recover is a great stallbreaker for one thing, especially with psyshock and magic guard if you want to try a different set.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Standard Renkulus normally carry Focus Blast/Psychic or Psyshock.

If Renk has Shadow Ball to hit Tomb:

If Renkulus has Calm Mind, it can't run Recover, meaning it will be worn down by physical attacks by Tomb.
If Renkulus has Recover, it can't run Calm Mind, which means it won't break Tomb [It won't outdo Rest, or even Pain Split]

Otherwise:
If Renkulus has both, it's completely walled.
If Renkulus forgoes Focus Blast, Tyranitar murders it
You haven't mentioned one last combination:
Reuniclus without its stab.
It would get perfect coverage while still killing his biggest counter like the normal set does(aka Ttar).
I am not going into a debate of whether or not this set is useful i am just telling that there is this combination also if Reuniclus wants to get past Sableye/Spiritomb without being useless in all other aspects.

tehy

Banned deucer.
The problem is, without his stab he kind of lacks initial power, which is important for beating down phazers and hitting things like CB hax on the switch.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The problem is, without his stab he kind of lacks initial power, which is important for beating down phazers and hitting things like CB hax on the switch.
I know man,i just mentioned the above set as it is the only way to beat Sableye/Spiritomb while at the same time remaining a useful CMer.

Another, somewhat obscure way to beat CM Reuniclus that I use is my Hydra-Rest Vaporeon.

Basically, my Vaporeon has Rest/Haze/Toxic/Scald. Roar would work too but really just delays the issue until later. All I have to do is switch Vaporeon in. If it uses Calm Mind on the switch, I just outspeed and Haze it, and take a unboosted Psyshock/Psychic easily. I then rest off the damage. If it Calm minds again instead of attacking, I just haze again. Whenever I get the opportunity I hit back with a rain boosted scald, dealing around 40% damage. Over time I can either wear it down or just wait for a crit. If worst comes to worst, thanks to haze's massive PP I can simply PP stall it to death.

TR Reuniclus fairs even worse, not even coming close to OHKOing Vaporeon who can easily rest off the damage and stall out Trick Room before destroying it with Scald. Most Trick Room sweepers don't like taking a Scald themselves, so even the possibility of a switch is dealt with.

Of course this requires Rain to be up to work.

Reuni has 30 base speed. I remember because Escavalier has 20.

Guys, what do you think is the reason Reuniclus is in OU despite pitiful speed?
is it that it can break offense or stall teams?
powerful special attacks?
magic guard?

magic guard?
Ability to crush both stall and hyper offense, and the fact that it's one of the only viable Magic Guard users in addition to its unpredictability, with only 2 sets. That's very impressive. I also think it's the fact that it hard counters alot of the new fighting types out there.

magic guard?
combination of things. It's got good bulk + Magic Guard + Recover, which is a fantastic defensive combination obviously; with max HP/ defense and bold, many un-boosted physical attackers struggle to break through without a super-effective attack. This makes the bulky CM set very potent, as after 1-2 CM's, there isn't a hell of a lot that can significantly damage it (for example, crunch from 252hp/ 252 sp.def Tyranitar almost always misses the 2HKO after leftovers, doing on average 210 damage). Also, because of Magic Guard and it's bulky-ness, reun just wrecks stall teams.

As for the Trick Room set, reun can actually make use of it's low speed and great special attack + recoil-less life orb to be a great late-game cleaner. It's not as common as the CMer, but deadly effective when used right, as the TR sweeper doesn't have to sacrifice coverage for Calm Mind/ Recover, and hits so hard from the get-go.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Expanding upon this, Reuniclus is very bulky on the physical side, and can easily Recover off damage faster than most Pokemon can deal it. Max HP / Max Def, the standard for the Calm Mind set, can survive a U-Turn from an Adamant Choice Band Scizor (which is huge) and easily take a Crunch from most variants of Tyranitar, although Band sets can scare Reuniclus away.

It's also quite powerful after a Calm Mind, and gains significant Special bulk. Magic Guard gives it an immunity to stuff like Leech Seed, Toxic and Spikes, which means that you must take it out with direct attacks. Stall teams usually lack powerful attacks, and they can't wear Reuniclus down with passive damage, making it extremely hard for them to deal with.

After a few Calm Minds, Reuniclus is extremely bulky on both sides, and most Pokemon will fail to OHKO it, but are KOed in return. It can easily set up on an absurdly high number of Pokemon, who pose no threat to it whatsoever.

Scizor and Tyranitar are the bane of almost all Psychics, but Reuniclus can beat both of them with its standard set. It doesn't need to overstretch itself to deal with checks, it beats 80% of the metagame with one single set. This is what makes Reuniclus a top tier Pokemon.

Expanding upon this, Reuniclus is very bulky on the physical side, and can easily Recover off damage faster than most Pokemon can deal it. Max HP / Max Def, the standard for the Calm Mind set, can survive a U-Turn from an Adamant Choice Band Scizor (which is huge) and easily take a Crunch from most variants of Tyranitar, although Band sets can scare Reuniclus away.

It's also quite powerful after a Calm Mind, and gains significant Special bulk. Magic Guard gives it an immunity to stuff like Leech Seed, Toxic and Spikes, which means that you must take it out with direct attacks. Stall teams usually lack powerful attacks, and they can't wear Reuniclus down with passive damage, making it extremely hard for them to deal with.

After a few Calm Minds, Reuniclus is extremely bulky on both sides, and most Pokemon will fail to OHKO it, but are KOed in return. It can easily set up on an absurdly high number of Pokemon, who pose no threat to it whatsoever.

Scizor and Tyranitar are the bane of almost all Psychics, but Reuniclus can beat both of them with its standard set. It doesn't need to overstretch itself to deal with checks, it beats 80% of the metagame with one single set. This is what makes Reuniclus a top tier Pokemon.
Yeah, I agree with most of what you said, but I think stall isn't nearly as hard pressed to deal with Reuniclus as in earlier rounds when people were like switching Blissey into bulky CM. There are actually several strategies stall has adapted to play around Reuniclus that don't force it to apply overwhelming attacks. For instance, Perish Song Celebi can put Reuniclus on a three turn timer, momentarily stall its attacks out with Recover, and then U-turn to gain switch advantage if Reuniclus isn't the last mon.

Another interesting combo I saw on user Blightbringer's hail stall team (made the finals of a tour iirc) was Taunt + Night Shade/Seismic Toss on Deoxys-D. Taunt prevents Reuniclus from recovering or accumulating too many boosts, while Deoxys shakes off the resisted attacks and essentially turns Reun into spike fodder until you're ready to chip him to death with the auto-100 damage move of choice. Though, you have to be wary of SpDef drops and Deoxys does struggle against the occasional CM Reuniclus with Shadow Ball over its STAB.

Then there is Unaware Quagsire who can ignore Reuniclus' boosts, while still being a relevant counter to a lot of common bulky stat-uppers in the current metagame. I find a specially defensive Curse set is Quaggy's most reliable way of defeating CM Reuniclus so that he can comfortably set up on any attack and eventually 2HKO, rather than resorting to a PP war and taking your chances on a crit or SpDef drop.

Encore also completely owns Reuniclus because he's so slow...

On a different note, a lot of stall teams are somewhat offensively tinged these days to combat Reuniclus with things like CBTar popping up to threaten with a powerful STAB Crunch and Pursuit trap. I also like to use this ChopleTar set on one of my sand stall teams because it makes a good blend between utility and Reuniclus check (he also helped check Thundurus last round, but I used Rock Slide then over Fire Blast):

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 168 SpDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast

The given EVs ensure that you 2HKO Max HP/Max Def Reuniclus with Crunch and the rest go towards maximizing special bulk. Fire Blast deters opposing stall from stacking layers and a Brave nature is used so that he can maintain the 2HKO on Max HP/40 SpDef Skarm. Specially defensive TTar is also a good check for SubCM Latias and Psyshock Latios which normally give Blissey problems.

magic guard?
Probably because of it's two main sets, speed is a non-issue to one, and for the other, it's low speed actually makes it faster than near everything else.

Sorry for bumping this, but I'd like to coment some things about this Pokemon.

Why do you think this pokemon is low in usage? Last December was #22 with 8% and currently it is not much seen in PO.

What do you usually do to face the opposed Reuniclus?

Also I think the set Trick with this Pokemon is pretty underrated.
I think the set TR is more used by far in this Pokemon than its set CM. The few times I saw it it was TR.

Here's a gimmick idea:

Reuniclus @ Flame Mail/Leftovers
252 HP/136 Def/120 SpDef
Bold / Magic Guard

Calm Mind
Barrier
Recover
Psychic

Pair this with Toxic Spikes support, and watch it stall out even the finest Dark-type counters (except Stunfisk). Loses hardcore to SD Scizor, but the only way Scizor comes out on top of Magnezone/Magneton is if it predicts your switch and hits you with Superpower on the switch. Mail gives it an immunity to Trick which on any bulky attacker is a godsend, but Leftovers is still a good idea to assist in setting up... Magic Guard literally makes this set, as Stored Power Musharna could do something very similar while having Stored Power, but its susceptibility to hazards and sandstorm offset its slightly higher bulk, and Reuniclus can hit harder right off the bat. The only remotely common Toxic Spikes absorber is Tentacruel, which you can take care of before you begin setting up, otherwise this can stall balanced teams out really easily.

Another counter is Escavalier, if Trick Room is set up. Barring a Esca not running a 0 IV (honestly who the hell is it going to outspeed with a 31 speed IV), it will outspeed most in Trick Room and while I do not have the calculations, I would venture to say that LO Megahorn OHKO's. Esca is also pretty damn bulky on both sides that even Focus Miss shouldn't do much.

And I shouldn't have to tell you that Psyshock being double resisted is not going to jack and $hit and jack left town.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
just faced a reuniclus and i must say if you're one of the 70% not using Scizor, watch out, this thing is scary. Fortunately in the era of 30+ scizor it's also nonexistent, which is why i am not too worried.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)