The Everything NHL Thread

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The West is gonna be a yawner folks, 1-0 and 2-1 games all the time, every time. I hope the Oil can put an end to this trend towards defensive hockey soon.:naughty:

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Personally I'd like to see Doan, or Alfy lift a cup this year.

Also the Oilers won't be relevant until they learn this difficult concept of playing defense.

I'd like to see Doan make it to the finals and then have someone from the team that just beat him hit him in the face with the cup like its trash can in the WWE

I would like to see Lundqvist, Laich, M. Richards raise the cup most of out players who are alive.

Or maybe Radulov for comedic value.

Seriously though the 4 least interesting teams of the 15 in the West are the only ones alive. Worse yet, my Western champ pick and the team I want to win the West are in separate matches so I'll probably actually watch all the games. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I love Dale Tallon's awful deals tore apart the Blackhawks' Cup-winning team, but then he goes to Florida and takes on some of his own awful contracts and is up for exec of the year

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The refs in rangers sens game were so weird.

Totally wack in 2nd period against the sens but then they allowed that goal at the end for the sens...

Consistently bad shouldn't be acceptable...I won't go so far as to hyperbolize and say the refs are determining games but for some reason (confirmation bias possible admittedly) it feels like their influence on games this playoffs is more than normal...

Hawks shouldn't and likely wont do much, they lost because of an injury from a cheapshot and goaltending. Replacing Crawford would help them but they won't be able to do it so they'll stand pat. Blueline could probably use a minor upgrade, which they'll probably get. Same team will come back next year, finish 1st or 2nd in Central.

Sharks will do nothing but fire the coach because their management is terrible, have year similar to this one or worse. Need to rebuild, won't. Should basically trade everyone but Couture, Vlasic, Clowe, Galliardi, Burns, Demers to get younger again at this point. Their division and conference are getting harder and they're getting worse.

also

• Nicklas Lidstrom said Barry Trotz told him "please don't retire"; on the Detroit Red Wings' Game 5 loss, the captain said: "I haven't had the feeling that this is it."
i wish i didnt like people who wear suits for the predators so much

and radulov

its a good thing i have compelling reasons to root against phoenix anyway but this feels dirty

That said, I think like the Sharks it's probably about time to give it up for Detroit with this core. Not going to happen.

Eraddd

One Pixel
i wish i didnt like people who wear suits for the predators so much

and radulov

its a good thing i have compelling reasons to root against phoenix anyway but this feels dirty
Only reason why Nashville wants that is probably because they don't want to lose Suter to the Red Wings in the offseason when/if Lidstrom retires.

Also, Luongo announced he would waive his NMC if asked.

Edit: Also it's amusing watching my fellow brethren rage and demand we trade 1) Kesler 2) Luongo 3) Booth and fire 1) Vigneault and 2) Gillis and obtain 1) Weber 2) God.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
36-13 New Jersey leads in shots, but the game is going into OT tied at 2.

What the hell is going on with these games

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm on the Flyers bandwagon. Full force. I want to see Giroux win the cup so we can have endless, endless Crosby vs Giroux debates...

Anyway, Hawks are pretty much stuck with who they have due to cap hits and I'm not sure that's necessarily a bad thing. Their core group is solid and locked down for a few more years at the very least. They could use an upgrade in goal and probably another good defenseman. Leddy's development path could increase or decrease the severity of that need so who they try to get really depends on where management thinks he's at probably. And then some of the fillers could be better, less old guys (sorry Brunette) and more prospects coming up. I'm not familiar with how deep the farm is for them but it would be more logical in my mind to be younger and quicker. Most the main guys have plenty of experience and I don't think leadership is an issue. Quenneville plays the shit out of his best players, if I'm not mistaken, so having a few green players wouldn't crush them. No worse than Crawford, anyway. Speaking of Corey, I think he's safe for the start of next season. If this year's version returns and Emery can't handle the load, they'll have to do something at the trade deadline. The only way the Hawks make a big offseason move is if they change course by trading away a core player (think one of Kane/Sharp/Keith/Seabrook). I don't think they're at that point just yet. Agree with Synre, expect a similar team back next season, coach included.

Sharks, on the other hand, need to trade away a core player. Not sure which guy that is, though. You'd think Marleau but his cap hit and inconsistent numbers would be tough to take on. Thornton could be a symbolic gesture considering he has the C but his cap hit is also large. Tough to find takers in the world of the cap. Havlat is stuck due to his injury history, cap number and added year on the contract. Big Pavelski could be moved I think, depending on what the return is, but it would really help this team to free up more than 4 mil. The D could get retooled a bit.. but Boyle is old and not likely to be moved at his current rate. Niemi is probably not the solution in goal but he's got a few more years as well. Yeah, he has a cup, but so does Chris Osgood. I will say one thing, the Sharks do have a pretty good cap situation coming up in two years when half the core comes off the books (Clowe and Couture raises will eat some of that up but...) so in theory next season could be the "one last try" season to see if it's really not going to work. Then just blow it up with trades of expiring contracts if it doesn't in 2013 offseason. The only problem with that is the prospect cupboard is bare... Sharks have a lot of issues if this current iteration really is "done."

Lastly, the Red Wings are in a bit of a different situation because, unlike the other two teams above, they at least have some cap space to work with in the offseason. Hudler, Stuart, Conklin, Holmstrom are UFA. Dump the first three completely and give Holmstrom a desk job or something with the team. Quincey, Helm, Abdelkader are RFA. Re-up Helm, trade Quincey at the draft, if possible, or else cut ties, I don't think he worked out that well, and re-sign Abdelkader only if the dollars make sense (hate to say that as an MSU guy). In goal, try to get a decent backup for Howard. If the money doesn't work or it can't happen, Joey MacDonald probably at least earned a shot with the decent job he did filling in this year (can't believe I just typed that). Then there's Lidstrom. I think he comes back for one more year, maybe even at an even lower rate (wishful thinking), because Detroit has the Winter Classic. Could be a good thing for Kindl and Smith to have one more year with the all-time great. If he doesn't come back, it's been a hell of a run and it will be weird without him. The positive is that I think Ken Holland could then be even more aggressive with retooling the roster. Been a while since Detroit's had that much flexibility. Now if the Wings can actually make use of that flexibility and pull in the big names on the open market this summer is another story..

Only reason why Nashville wants that is probably because they don't want to lose Suter to the Red Wings in the offseason when/if Lidstrom retires.
That's backwards on Detroit and I keep seeing this: Detroit is farther from being a legitimate contender without Lidstrom. The incentive to buy players is higher with him, not without him. Cap isn't an issue either way.

Detroit will go after Suter either way if they get the chance because he makes them better long term, but it's less attractive without Lidstrom rather than more because the need to rebuild is more obvious.

Given that he said it in the handshake line I kinda doubt it was tactical by Trotz either way. He's a classy guy who said a classy thing. Don't read so far into it.

Eraddd

One Pixel
That's backwards on Detroit and I keep seeing this: Detroit is farther from being a legitimate contender without Lidstrom. The incentive to buy players is higher with him, not without him. Cap isn't an issue either way.

Detroit will go after Suter either way if they get the chance because he makes them better long term, but it's less attractive without Lidstrom rather than more because the need to rebuild is more obvious.

Given that he said it in the handshake line I kinda doubt it was tactical by Trotz either way. He's a classy guy who said a classy thing. Don't read so far into it.
My statement was mostly sarcasm. I really don't think a coach would be stupid enough to tell an opposing captain to "come back" because they want to sign another player.

I would be the happiest little girl ever if the Kings can make it back to the finals...Even happier if they can actually win it.

To be fair, although I can understand why a lot of people would dread the remaining WC games for being extremely defensive, they're fun to watch in their own right. Watching talented goaltenders and defensemen making extraordinary plays can be awesome.

Plus, I still believe that the Philly/Pitt series could've been better if there was actual defense played. Watching Giroux and the rest do work was exciting, but when Fleury, Bryzgalov, and overall defensive play pretty much flopped throughout six games, it kinda just got to the point where I was thinking "Oh, another game with 10+ combined goals? Yawn." Just my opinion, though, and I still think it was my favorite series to watch alongside the Kings/Canucks.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hahaha ive seen that, the best part is i went to seguins highschool / saw him around which makes that even funnier

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)