Volcarona Sweep

Hey guys, I've just recently gotten back into the whole competitive battle thing. In fact, I haven't played since D/P. I've made a team, but I'm not having a great time about it. I've lost a good deal so I could use a bit of help. I know my favorite pokemon of the 5th generation is Volcarona. I've always loved the moth pokemon, but it wasn't till now that they were any good (Quiver Dance and all)

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Stealth Rock

Heatran seemed like a good lead. I wasn't sure who else to put in the first slot. He has decent coverage, but if the opponent starts out with a water type, my team loses any hope of getting the momentum in my favor. He can almost always get Stealth Rock up otherwise, and his typing is pretty good, but water types are so prominent now that sometimes I just wonder if there are better leads.

Cockeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 224HP / 252 Atk / 32 Sp.Def
-Drain Punch
-Mach Punch
-Payback
-Facade

Conckeldurr has been a pretty good addition to my team. I love his power when he has the Flame Orb boosting his attack so high. His Fighting type attacks are awesome. The only time I really have trouble with him is against substitute users like Gengar.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Timid
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Rapid Spin

Starmie while not one of my favorite pokemon, has always been a reliable water type to put on almost all of my teams. It has great coverage, and great stats. The main reason it is on this team is because of Rapid Spin, however. Volcorona's typing leaves it with a horrid Stealth Rock weakness, so I definitely need to address that.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Sp. Atk
-Rapid Spin
-Spikes
-Toxic Spikes
-Earthquake

Forretress is another Rapid Spinner, as I am terrified of having Stealth Rocks on the field. However, with two Rapid Spinners, I almost always have time to Rapid Spin. Forretress also has quite a few entry hazards of his own, which have certainly come in handy.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp.Def / 4 HP
-Dragon Tail
-Thunder Wave
-Roost
-Substitute

Dragonite has proven competence if he is switched in at the correct time. I'm happy with what he can do. He spreads Paralysis around the opposing team to make sure that Volcarona isn't outsped and acts as a special wall to form a defensive core with Forretress. The two cover each other's weaknesses and benefit from each other's sets.

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Orb
Nature: Timid
-Quiver Dance
-Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Hidden Power Rock

This is who I wanted to design the team around. Volcarona is supposed to be a monster once it has a quiver dance under its belt, but I always have trouble getting it in. This team doesn't play like it should. I need to reorient my team so that I can draw out the right pokemon and switch Volcarona in to sweep. However, my opponent either never gives the opportunity, or he has a wall up his sleeve that can disable my sweep.

A scarfed latios literally eats your team! you have no special wall of any kind. Latios can easily destroy every pokemon in 1 hit other than forretress which it 2 hits with surf or hp fire. You have no core. I am geussing you easily get swept by the likes of terrakion also.

dragonite is not doing too much... I would swap it out for jellicent.

Even though Volcarona and Dragonite both hate Stealth Rock, you don't need two rapids spinners, it's just a waste. I would recommend replacing one of them.

A scarfed latios literally eats your team! you have no special wall of any kind. Latios can easily destroy every pokemon in 1 hit other than forretress which it 2 hits with surf or hp fire. You have no core. I am geussing you easily get swept by the likes of terrakion also.

dragonite is not doing too much... I would swap it out for jellicent.
Scarf latios doesnt OHKO any single pokemon on his team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)