An original vgc team!

Hey guys, I am hathater (as you can see by the title) I have made a vgc team. I got interested in vgc a few months ago and when I see battles, they always have the pokemon ;eg latios, chandulure, terrakion etc. So, I wanted to make an unpredictible team. Before I ev train my team, I want to see if has some problems. I have done a lot of reasearch So, here is my team!
This is my first rmt, so go easy.

Dusclops

Sassy nature Ev:252hp 252def 4 sdef
Eviolite

Moves: Night shade
Will-O-Wisp
Pain Split
Helping Hand

I picked dusclops because it is very bulky with eviolite. Seriously, it is too underused. A tornadus took many hits seriously? A tornadus? It can survive 1 choice specs shadow ball from chandulure. I chose night shade over seismic toss because there is more viable ghost types than normal types (obviously). helping hand is for support, pain split is for recovery and will-o-wisp is for attack drop and residual damage. in wifi, my dusclops required many hits to ko. I probably will not replace this, it's that good!

Durant

Item: Wide lens
Ability: Hustle
Jolly 4hp, 252 atk, 252 spd item:wide lens

moves

x-scizzor
iron head
rock slide
aerial ace

This is a very underrated pokemon, I do not know why this is in ru (maybe because of accuracy drop in hustle) , but it is a very powerful pokemon. Since hustle is + 50% in attack - 20% in accuracy it gets aproximately 265 attack, which is astonishing, but it gets wide lens to make up for the accuracy drop. X-scizzor is for cresselia and can 2 hit ko cresselia, iron head is for terrakion rock slide is a spread move, and aerial ace cannot miss. This may be replaced, but read the rules at the bottom first. I don't know if this moveset is very good because it doesn't have protect, and the moves aren't the best. Please feel free to correct this moveset.

Whimsicott

Ability:Prankster
timid 4hp 252 sp atk 252 spd
item:Focus Sash
Moves

Giga drain
tailwind
taunt
protect

Why whimsicott? Whimsicott is a very common pokemon, but i will make an exeption as it has prankster and has good support moves. Giga drain is for stab, tailwind is for speed, priority taunt is for trick room or tailwind and protect is standard. If you have any substitutes for whimsicott, feel free to that. But since it is extremely common, and trainers can now easily counter whimsicott, so maybe an alternative?

Nidoking

Timid 252 spatk 252 speed 4 hp life orb
Item:Life orb
Ability: Sheer force

Moves
Ice beam
dragon pulse
earth power
flamethrower or protect?

I chose Nidoking because it has good special attack because of the sheer force ability. I really don't know how I came across nidoking.
ice beam is for Pokemon that are weak to ice type moves (Quite frankly, a lot of types) earth power is for ground types, dragon pulse might be replaced and flamethrower might be replaced as well in place for protect. Also po will also not factor in sheer force, and will never get ko's. I am will to keep this for it's move pool and it being uncommon. Also, it could get some ko's in the real game because bw2 obviously factor in this ability, but this moveset is here for now, and can change

I have been practicing on po, but po doesn't seem to reconize eviolite and the hustle abilty

Vaporeon
Ability:
Water Absorb
Ev's 252 hp 252 spdef 4 spatk

Moves
Icy wind
protect
wish or ice beam?
acid armour

Right here, vaporeon is supposed to be a very bulky pokemon, with acid armour, but with wish, it make for taunt bait, so the better move than wish should be ice beam, but wish can heal my pokemon and almost fully heal my dusclop therefore making my dusclops more annoying and can pain split+night shade and ko pokemon. Acid armour is for vaporeons low defence, and a wall in vgc should be a mixed wall, this could be changed because the vaporeon could be ko'd before acid armour, so maybe wish?

Jolteon

Item:
Choice specs
Ability:Volt absorb
Moves
Volt switch
Thunder
Shadow ball
Signal Beam

Yes, I know what you are thinking.. Why would put 2 members of the eevee family?! Well, it hust so happens that the next choice is jolteon because it is a good rain counter because of STAB 100% accuracy thunder with choice specs, it will counter most things except for ludicolo, which is countered by x scissor from durant. volt switch works just like choice band scizor; it's a free switch. shadow ball and signal beam could for cresselia.

Honorable mention

1.Cradily 2.
Jynx

1.Why not? Because it relied on support moves, 2. Why not? It is a little too slow and before, I wanted a trick room team, and vgc has a time limit. But cradily is still great. Team, but it was too fast.

Thanks for reading this. Deuces?

Welcome to Smogon! A few cosmetic things I'd like to point out about this thread is that you do not have proper information.

1. Giving an explanation for nicknames isn't necessary, in any RMT. It kind of clutters up your thread.

2. No matter what VGC team you have 4 Pokemon doesn't cut it, never has, never will. An essential part of strategy is to have many different types to cover all sorts of possible options, and you give your opponent an advantage right off the bat by only having 4 members.

3. Triats/Abilities are missing. A crucial step.

4. Directly breaking RMT rules, you say:
Please add 2 more pokemon the requirement is that it has to be an unpopular pokemon and please include movesets
We are not supposed to fill in team members.

5. Your Pokemon sets are kind of poor. Not going to go into much detail here, but I suggest looking at Smogon's Strategy Pokedex. (Link Right)http://www.smogon.com/bw/metagames/vgc2012

It's real helpful to give you inspiration for the underused Pokemon you desire.

Not bad for a first RMT, (Better than my first). But I suggest looking further into the things I stated, because you are breaking a few RMT rules. It may be locked by a mod if it's not corrected.

Good day.

Thank you, I will take in everything you said

5. Your Pokemon sets are kind of poor. Not going to go into much detail here, but I suggest looking at Smogon's Strategy Pokedex. (Link Right)http://www.smogon.com/bw/metagames/vgc2012

Yeah, but people can predict the standard smogon movesets, so I am going unorthodox

Welcome to Smogon! A few cosmetic things I'd like to point out about this thread is that you do not have proper information.

1. Giving an explanation for nicknames isn't necessary, in any RMT. It kind of clutters up your thread.

2. No matter what VGC team you have 4 Pokemon doesn't cut it, never has, never will. An essential part of strategy is to have many different types to cover all sorts of possible options, and you give your opponent an advantage right off the bat by only having 4 members.

3. Triats/Abilities are missing. A crucial step.

4. Directly breaking RMT rules, you say:

We are not supposed to fill in team members.

It's real helpful to give you inspiration for the underused Pokemon you desire.

Not bad for a first RMT, (Better than my first). But I suggest looking further into the things I stated, because you are breaking a few RMT rules. It may be locked by a mod if it's not corrected.

Good day.

Fixed

"0_0"

Please don't quadruple post, simply edit changes, and people will see them. Unorthadox is a good thing, if it's done well like Wolfey's VGC'12 team. Not trying to be mean or over-critical, but the sets you proposed are more suited to almost anything other than doubles. First step to building a successful team is understanding the metagame. Now I by no means have the best understanding, but I do know that Protect is an incredibly useful move. What I suggest you do is plug this team into Pokemon Showdown!, and playtest it on the Smogon server, trying to maintain a 1500+ rating, and doing your absolute best to win 75% of all your battles. (Opponent DC's do not count. :P)

I honestly can't give you a solid rate because I would change a lot of things. But here's some key things you should do to develop a successful team.

o Play test a lot. See what works, and what doesn't. I actually devised an unorthodox set for Heracross on my team that works real well, replacing my old Hitmontop. Go for a 1500+ rating at first, then when you feel better go for 1700+ on the Pokemon Showdown! ladder. Or just go for 75% wins. Preferably both. ^_^

o Understand the meaning of unorthodox. Just because you use a pokemon listed there doesn't mean it's common. In fact about 20% of them you'd see in a lot of your battles. For me Standard = Hitmontop, Politoed, Cresselia, Scizor, Toxicroak, Ninetales, Kingdra, Ludicolo, Garchomp, Tyranitar, Thundurus, Metagross, Volcarona, Terrakion, Jellicent, Gastrodon, Dusclops, Conkeldurr and Abombasnow. If your not using those I consider you to be unorthodox. Using odd, and creative sets, with those Pokemon is also unorthodox. Don't be worried about being different though. Try building a super-standard team, then tweak it from there.

o Try to have these characteristics.

Counter to TR
Counter to Weather
Steel Type
Water immune, or resist type

Then you should be good for 50% of the teams you face.

Good luck with building a team, and I like your Squidward avatar! :D

I will take account to everything you said, including quadruple posting lol. Thank you for the advice and so you are saying that my team would be better for singles than doubles? You have been an inspiration to me to keep practicing :). I have a question, why doesn't the hustle ability activate or eviolite or sheer force factor in pokemon online? So, when you said use a standard team, you mean get common pokemon and use uncommon sets on them like bluecookies? And what I ment by common its standard and yes dusclops I agree is common. Any alternitives to vaporeon, any doesnt have to be uncommon I might need to use a special attacker. Also by unorthodox, I did mean your meaning of unorthodox.

I will take account to everything you said, including quadruple posting lol. Thank you for the advice and so you are saying that my team would be better for singles than doubles? You have been an inspiration to me to keep practicing :). I have a question, why doesn't the hustle ability activate or eviolite or sheer force factor in pokemon online? So, when you said use a standard team, you mean get common pokemon and use uncommon sets on them like bluecookies? And what I ment by common its standard and yes dusclops I agree is common. Any alternitives to vaporeon, any doesnt have to be uncommon I might need to use a special attacker. Also by unorthodox, I did mean your meaning of unorthodox.
I think I heard the issues with PO before. I think it's due to programming errors. I've come across a few, but none of those yet. I said your team would be better for singles, because you have a lot of attacks, and not much protect, I'm not a singles player (unless it's fun LC), so I wouldn't really know. lol

When I say use a standard team, I mean put a standard team together like Cybertron's Philly 2013 Regionals team, and make tweaks to it if you feel it's to standard. That's what I did, and not one pokemon is the same, but it has all the essential elements. Your sets were certainly unorthodox, but unorthodox has to cater to the niche that pokemon has, otherwise it wouldn't be used in VGC. Basically I'm hesitant to rate this team, because if I change Vaporeon, I'd change everything else to. Whenever battling 101 VGC kicks up again, I suggest going to that, or I can help you some time if you message me. I suggest making early VGC teams with a partner so your going in th right direction, and can use that team as a reference in the future.

So, I've heard about battling 101, but I do not know how it works. Also with cybertron's team, is it like he gets a standard team and practice on skill and not teambuilding? And, yes I am looking for ways to fit protect in my pokemon. Do you think golbat with eviolite would be good with super fang? So, basically, this whole team should redone and made with standard pokemon with uncommon moves?
Sorry for an overload of questions lol.

No. Just use Cybertron's team. Play with it, then edit it. Do not change anything on the regular team until you feel ready. Then once you feel comfterable, switch some pokemon around and experiment, once you feel it's solid go for 75%. If it's not working try again. I don't know what goes on in Cybertron's mind, but it can be expected that it's certainly some useful VGC information.

Hi everybody, I assume Aaron gets a core of Pokemon and then patches up their weaknesses to build a team, just like everybody else

Now on to the actual rate:

it seems you tried to use unorthodox Pokemon to surprise your opponents. This can work in some situations, but I don't think your team has a clear strategy to it. To me, it looks like you took 6 random Pokemon and tried to put them on a team. I would suggest replacing at least 3 Pokemon on your team so it at least has a clear strategy. First of all, you have confliing speed control. Dusclops is usually a slow, Trick Room setter, but you dont even have TR on it. If you're really set on keeping it, I would change your team to a Trick Room team. the problem is, most of your pokemon are too fast to work under TR. Cresselia could work much better as a bulky supporter. minor nitpick to start off on Durant, but "RU" doesn't exist in VGC lol. I might try either a choice band or scarf because you have 4 attacking moves on it. if not, protect > aerial ace. try lum metagross over durant for a deadly swagger combo with cress (or thundurus). i think having 2 supporters on a vgc team is unnessecary. it is a very fast-paced metagame and supporters are generally taunt bait or dead weight overall. however, tailwind is a good strategy in vgc. i might suggest bulky thundurus over whimsicott for speed control. in place of nidoking, I might try sheer force special landorus. it hits much harder with earth power and has good coverage. for vaporeon, stall isn't that good in vgc because of timer. I might suggest jellicent for a more offensive bulky attacker. water spout is really strong. plus, it can cast TR if you decide to go that route. I would suggest thundurus, rotom-w or another rain counter instead of jolteon. jolteon has paper-thin defense and can be koed easily. plus, rotom-w has great synergy with durant (or metagross). another favorite of mine to use is virizion. it koes many common rain pokemon with leaf blade.

Overall, I would not have the mindset that standard is bad or to stay away from it. there's a reason why it's standard xD however, it is good to differentiate one in awhile! Lastly, remove the dead links for images in the OP, it makes it unattractive to look at.

Yeah, my last vgc team was going to be trick room, but dusclops I feel as more of a wall
Thunderus and landurous are stupendously overused with 2 weaknesses to ice and landurous has 4x weakness to ice. Yes, I do know tiers don't exist in vgc I just wanted to point out that durant is severly underused. Vaporeon was alittle bit for speed control, but I am willing to take it of the team. Yeah I will replace aerial ace for protect. But, if I did standard pokemon, I would not have been making an rmt, but I would just use those pokemon and not fix anything. Jellicent would be good, but water spout would be not powerful with low hp also, jellicent isn't very bulky on the defense side. Rotom W isn't the best as it is way too common, so maybe toaster rotom? Not to be mean, but I do not really like metagross, instead of swagger, maybe a suicide lead with stealth rocks, then explosion to break sashes? I like durant, it is kind of like scizor without choice band. A cresselia would be nice, you don't really need an unpredictable wall, and a swagger set could work, but cresselia probably will not ko anything unlike dusclops. BTW how do you erase dead links from pictures that did not process properly?

Yeah, my last vgc team was going to be trick room, but dusclops I feel as more of a wall
Thunderus and landurous are stupendously overused with 2 weaknesses to ice and landurous has 4x weakness to ice. Yes, I do know tiers don't exist in vgc I just wanted to point out that durant is severly underused. Vaporeon was alittle bit for speed control, but I am willing to take it of the team. Yeah I will replace aerial ace for protect. But, if I did standard pokemon, I would not have been making an rmt, but I would just use those pokemon and not fix anything. Jellicent would be good, but water spout would be not powerful with low hp also, jellicent isn't very bulky on the defense side. Rotom W isn't the best as it is way too common, so maybe toaster rotom? Not to be mean, but I do not really like metagross, instead of swagger, maybe a suicide lead with stealth rocks, then explosion to break sashes? I like durant, it is kind of like scizor without choice band. A cresselia would be nice, you don't really need an unpredictable wall, and a swagger set could work, but cresselia probably will not ko anything unlike dusclops. BTW how do you erase dead links from pictures that did not process properly?
So from what I see, you want to build a team around durant? We are not supposed to fill in members for you, but I can say build a core, like Tylee said. Then patch up weakness. I try to have no more than two pokemon on a team with the same weakness. Again it's okay to use standard if it works. If you want Durant to be the star of your team, then build a supporting team. Don't try to have every underused Pokemon doing there own thing. Good luck, and PM me if you want to test battle anything.

I didn't say to give me a different pokemon (correct me if wrong) I just said if Rotom toaster is okay. And yes, I do want to make a team around durant but, durant can change if I find a new pokemon. So, what you mean by doing they're own thing, you mean the other team members should support durant?

wait, you mention that cress won't be getting any kills which is probably true unless you use ice beam against chomp/mence etc. the question I have is, how will dusclops be KOing anything? It has even less power that Cresselia...
On the individual Pokemon part, yes, you want the team to support each other, not just have them doing their own thing. Doubles is all about team synergy. Also, in the OP, you asked for 2 Pokemon that were "unoriginal". I assume you filled these slots with the eeveelutions. You might want to remove that text. Also, you just click edit post and take out the links of the pictures to take them out. Using standard Pokemon doesn't mean you don't have to do an RMT. It's always good to get input from others, even if you use the top 6 most used in VGC. If you want an alternate to rotom-w, try lanturn. It's really bulky and has the same typing. Jellicent can be bulked up by adding defensive EVs. Also, you could use hydro pump instead of water spout. Stealth rocks are generally a bad choice in vgc because there's not much switching.

Well, dusclops can ko by keeping on using pain split and then night shade. Yeah I am having trouble having synergy in my teams, my teams are homemade, homemade like cafeteria ladies food (terrible). Well, actually I was about to fill in those 2 eeveelutions in the first place, but smogon glitched up and i couldn't post it, then when I went back, it was gone, but luckily I saved part of the RMT but I was too lazy to put both descriptions of the last 2, so I just left it out. When I see my rmt, it doesnt seem to have those deadlinks anymore, but it used to. I atually consider lanturn, but with the stats of special defense and defense, I didn't really want it, but now I know how does hp really help, I might use lanturn. Hydro pump has low accuracy and can lose me some battles. And I know stealth rocks aren't a very good choice, but it was an idea because all them focus sash right? But, since there isn't much switching, I will take your advice and not go with stealth rocks. I am in the lookout for a sun counter and hail and sandstorm. Thanks for the advice! Sorry for being stubborn if you think that.

PS I searched up lanturn, but the defense stat was a little too low maybe blissey, but blissey doesn't work too well with durant

Edit Darn got posts deleted

Okay we shouldn't be helping you build team, but if you're worried about the accuracy side of things run hone claws on durant with follow me togekiss(draws all the attacks to it). Trust me the best teams use the standard pokemon "differently", the rest of try to emulate them in our own ways. You aren't going to snap onto some knew and amazing idea, but building a solid team with you're personality in it in someway is how you're going to improve. ;)

No amoongus shares durant's fire type weakness allowing common heat wave users to take advantage of that fact. This way you only need switch out you durant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)