Pokémon Black 2: Preparing for X and Y

Hello everyone! This is more so for me but for anyone else as well who would like to follow. I (stupidly) restarted my Black 2 to do a Nuzlocke challenge. The Unovadex was nearly full and I had a team of 90s.

I did not finish my Nuzlocke challenge, so you can imagine how I'm feeling about restarting now. Damn impulsive moments of weakness!

Anyhow, I'm going to go about it a different way this time through, my goals, however, will remain the same and I will outline them.

Goals:
*Complete the Unovadex without foreign intervention.
- Basically, what this means is that I wish to catch every obtainable Pokemon available WITHIN Black 2. This will, of course, exclude 2 of the starters, White 2 Exclusives, and event Pokemon.

*Put together several competitive teams legitimately.
- Pretty self-explanatory. My definition of legitimately is without the use of any third party software or hardware. No Action Replay, Pokesav, RNG Abuse, etc.

*Breed a shiny competitive team of my favorite Pokemon.
- I can't see myself accomplishing this until I decide to begin trading and connecting to other games. Without the Masuda Method/Shiny Charm, I just don't see this as practical. Eventually, however, I will achieve this.
---Planned Team: Ninetales, Luxray, Kingdra, Gengar, Alakazam, Lucario

*Get rid of my starter as soon as possible and catch my own 'Starter'.

*Beat the medal system.
- My first completion of the game (The one I saved over ...), I had completely ignored the medal system. This time around, however, I will achieve every medal possible.

*Any Pokemon I decide to add to my progression-through-story team will be caught only with a nature I deem acceptable to maximize their fighting potential. I.E. Modest or Timid on a special sweeper.

*Any Pokemon I decide to add to my progression-through-story team will be immediately EV trained before training levels.

I think that's about it goal-wise for now. If I come up with anymore as I go, I will post them. I just finished EV Training my caught starter. I'm going to take a break from typing and I will catch you all up shortly with my progress. Thanks for reading! :)

Note:
A lot of people are misunderstanding my shiny dream team goal. Those are not my Pokemon for story progression. I want to keep my planned team a surprise. I will be challenging the Elite 4 with a team of five. After I become the Unova Champion, I will be adding my sixth. It was intentional of me not to list my planned progression-team for the sake of having some sort of anticipation for readers on my journey.

breeding actually competitive shinies without a shiny charm, rng abuse, or a cheating device...?
good bloody luck with that.

you also can't get all of the medals without trading and such but

good luck with the obtainable goals, i suppose? not trying to be rude here i'm just trying to be realistic.

I wish you luck in your endeavor...but damn, that seems pretty hard, not gonna lie. I wouldn't try to do the breeding for shinies until you do have all the necessary stuff, because otherwise it's just hell.

~/_\~Day 1 ~/_\~
*Attained Pokemon --
- Snivy
- Riolu
- Lucario
- Pidove

*Badges: 1

*Time Played: 9h 17m

Current team (As of day Report):

Lucario
Lv. 20
Adamant
255 Spd EVs, 255 Atk EVs
Quick Attack
Force Palm
Work Up
Foresight

I chose Snivy as my starter due to me thinking in the end it's going to be easier to find a Tepig and an Oshawott off players.

I went to Floccesy Ranch and saved before I began my grind for my starter pokemon. After 7 Riolus (and 7 restarts), I obtained a Nature I was satisfied with. Adamant. Though I was aiming for Jolly. (Ironically, my Snivy was Jolly (completely random).

I put my Snivy in the PC and immediately saved before heading to Route 19 to EV Train my Riolu. After 7 hours, 255+ Purrloins, and 240 Patrats, I was nearing level 19. I did some running for about a half hour in Floccesy Town and repeatedly saved before I battled to hit level 19. After 3 resets and a half hour of running, I finally evolved my Riolu once hitting level 19 into a Lucario. <3

Finally, I did my last few Patrats to max out my EVs at 255 Attack and 255 Speed. (EV Training without Pokerus or power items is extremely exhausting and with 510 + fights to account for, it's easy to miscount, so instead of risking doing 252, 252, 6. I'm going 255 - 255 for now and will use happiness berries to fix it later.)

After maxing EVs and evolving, I took my Lucario and swept every trainer up until and including the first gym. It definitely made the grinding worth it. I had a huge level advantage and power advantage over anything else at this point in the game. I claimed my first badge and Lucario hit level 20 during the fight against Cheren.

Good luck with Roxie! She can't touch you, but what can you do right back? Just Quick Attack them to death? You can't be poisoned, as you're technically a Steel... Burgh is on a pretty similar boat; you're a hard counter to those bugs.

What other Pokemon do you plan to EV train in-game? The Pokemon you listed you can't get until after you beat the game...and surely you don't plan on soloing the game (plus Nintales)...

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The medal rally is absolutely brutal to complete. I'm trying my hardest but I'm seeing the streetpass medals as out of my reach so instead I've focused on completing the national dex in the meantime.

Too bad you don't have access to challenge mode, as I'm suspecting your team is going to be WAY overpowered all game.

When you're in need of some outside help (trades etc) hit me up, always happy to help out

Good luck!

breeding actually competitive shinies without a shiny charm, rng abuse, or a cheating device...?
good bloody luck with that.

you also can't get all of the medals without trading and such but

good luck with the obtainable goals, i suppose? not trying to be rude here i'm just trying to be realistic.
I, like yourself, am also a realist, so I completely understand your pessimism. I created near-unreachable goals to keep me busy until X and Y are released. There was intention behind it. Ironically, completing the Unovadex will probably be close to the EASIEST of my goals, lol.

Also, take note that I did not say WITHOUT a shiny charm. My dream shiny team will probably not come until after I complete the NATIONAL Dex, and I know this. But the goal still remains a goal, so I listed it.

I've used PokeSAV/AR Codes/RNG Abuse in the past and I find the results to be a lot less rewarding. This is why I choose not to use these things. The only ONE exception (And I'm very hesitant to have even this as an exception, it's still undecided) is to use my AR for IV Checking. Other than that, everything will be done cleanly.

Also, the medals, I'm aware of the difficulty of obtaining them and I'm simply going to earn as many as I can. I don't expect to obtain them all.

I wish you luck in your endeavor...but damn, that seems pretty hard, not gonna lie. I wouldn't try to do the breeding for shinies until you do have all the necessary stuff, because otherwise it's just hell.
Heh, as stated above, I made extremely difficult goals to keep me busy.

Good luck with Roxie! She can't touch you, but what can you do right back? Just Quick Attack them to death? You can't be poisoned, as you're technically a Steel... Burgh is on a pretty similar boat; you're a hard counter to those bugs.
I actually led with Force Palm for the paralysis on Whirlpede, but yes, everything else was QAd to death. She had no chance. I think she got me to 2/3 over the course of the entire battle.

As for Burgh, the same strategy, as you have mentioned, will apply. I don't think I have ever used QA so many times in my life, lol.

What other Pokemon do you plan to EV train in-game? The Pokemon you listed you can't get until after you beat the game...and surely you don't plan on soloing the game (plus Nintales)...
I added a note in my original post because of you :P No, my shiny dream team will not be pursued until after the E4. (After the National Dex, even, most likely)

My progression team is a surprise, if you follow the thread and my journey you'll see my team stack as I progress. :)

The medal rally is absolutely brutal to complete. I'm trying my hardest but I'm seeing the streetpass medals as out of my reach so instead I've focused on completing the national dex in the meantime.

Too bad you don't have access to challenge mode, as I'm suspecting your team is going to be WAY overpowered all game.

When you're in need of some outside help (trades etc) hit me up, always happy to help out

Good luck!
Hey thanks, really appreciate the offer for help :) I don't see myself getting in to trades any time soon. I'm sort of limited on this because of the fact that you need WPA for NWF. The router(s) I have aren't compatible with the DS. So!! After I get my 3DS (I used to have one that I sold, thinking I was done with it, but Pokemon has sucked me back in, especially with X and Y coming out), I'll try it with that because I recall my 3DS working with my router I bought specifically for NWF. If it doesn't work, I'll have to search for a new router.

As for the medals, I don't expect to complete the set. And I don't think I can without connecting to Global. So we'll see how far I get there. Once I start grinding medals, I'll keep track in my OP.

Anyways, thanks everyone for your support! Definitely didn't expect this much attention within the first 24 hours and it's a great feeling that I have people to share my Unova Journey and goals with. Keep reading and posting and I'll keep updating and replying! :D

(Day 2 coming out tonight, won't see a lot of progress because I worked 10 hours today. Going to try to fit a lot of progress in tonight, though, after I post this. :))

~/_\~Day 2 ~/_\~
*Attained Pokemon --
- Sewaddle

*Badges: 4

*Time Played: 13h 31m

Lucario
Lv. 32
Adamant
255 Spd EVs, 255 Atk EVs
Quick Attack
Force Palm
Bone Rush
Foresight

Wow! Some serious progress I've made gym-wise. And quite a lot to say, I must admit. I'll break my day report down in sections using Gyms as milestones.

Part 1: Toxic Badge
Nothing real exciting here. I swept all the trainers leading up to Virbank City. I proceed to destroy Roxie with Quick Attacks (Lame, I know, but meh. Got the job done). Her entire gym was able to get my Lucario no lower than 2/3 health. Starting with a steel type has its advantages.

Afterwards, I had to do the bit with the Pokestudios. It was lame and a waste of time as usual, but unlike in the past, I decided to actually watch the movie I had produced. It was, of course, lame and a waste of time, lol.

I skipped over Virbank Complex and then, after beating Team Plasma, made my way to Castelia City!

Part 2: Insect Badge
Once reaching the city, I completed the Harlequin challenge and received a bike. Iris showed me where Team Plasma might be hiding. With Hugh's help I skipped the sewers to head straight to TP's location. I rooted them out, spoke with Burgh and Colress, and then headed out of the sewers and towards the third gym.

I made it through the gym without recovering. I didn't have any elixirs or ethers and I nearly regretted it as my last Force Palm (I was out of QAs) fainted Burgh's Dwebble. I healed at a Pokemon Center from half health. I then proceeded north towards Nimbasa City.

Part 3: Bolt Badge
I skipped over Desert Resort and Relic Castle in attempts to conserve time. Besides, in the future they may prove useful to training low level Pokemon? Anyhow, my Lucario, experience wise, has been getting along fine, so bypassing some experience won't hurt. I came up with very boring unoriginal sayings, phrases, and even name for Join Avenue. I hate that place.

Upon arriving to Nimbasa City, I helped Rosa defeat the battle subway bosses Emett and ...?

I checked out the old gym where Elese allegedly was. Upon reaching the end she, of course, was not there. I took a ride on a ferris wheel with a daycare lady who kept ... sweating. That was extremely awkward, even if she was just imaginated pixels ...

After that I modeled my trainer skills with my Lucario on a runway against a bunch of hot babes before going up against the leader, Elesa, herself.

The odds were, of course, in my favor. There was nearly a startling upset. Knowing Emolga would Volt Switch out, Lucario used Work Up to give himself a little more oomph. Elesa switched directly to her Zebstrika. A single hit from Bone Rush dropped Zebstrika to about 45% before my smile quickly faded to a frown as a Sitrus berry took Zekstrika back up to around 70%, potentially taking away my previously-certain OHKO. Bone Rush hit once more taking Zebstrika down to 10% life.

No big deal, another Bone Rush, two at the most would knock this Elesa off her high horse. I expected the upcoming hyper potion to be used. What made my heart sink as I realized I was about to lose my first battle was when Zebstrike used Flame Charge. Completely forgotten about and unexpected by me. Somehow, Lucario remained alive with two hit points. I used a Fresh Water as Elesa Hyper Potioned and I cast a 3 hit Bone Rush, enough to knock the horse out.

The rest of the match was a sweep with a 2HKO on Emolga with Quick Attacks.

It was a close call, I thought I'd have my first loss then and there. But luck and RNG was on my side. Now, I half ass explored Route 16, and tomorrow I will continue my journey on to Route 5.

I wish you good luck on this journey! This is what wanting to be the very best is all about! I am surprised you passed up the Desert Resort though. There are so many good options for teams there.

the movie that you're forced to make kinda sucks but i think that one makes a bad impression personally. a lot of them, like un souvenir inoubliable and the magical door movie are surprisingly deep an interesting imo.
[ i may have shed a single tear for un souvenir inoubliable ]

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
dat solo run

Hopefully you add your next Pokemon soon, or else Clay is gonna give your Lucario a lot of problems.
How exactly? 2 of his mons are weak to Lucario's Stabs... I would be honestly very surprised if he doesn't OHKO Krokorok and 2HKO Excadrill... And Exca is a lot less scary in BW2 because no Hone Claws.

Either way good luck bro. I am pretty sure its impossible to complete the Medal Rally, there are some really dumb luck medals in there which you don't get unless something special happens. I know there is a Medal for obtaining a shiny and stuff like that so...

EDIT: I'm also available for trades and stuff if you need anything :)

I wish you good luck on this journey! This is what wanting to be the very best is all about! I am surprised you passed up the Desert Resort though. There are so many good options for teams there.
I had a team mapped our prior to my starting of the game. And it does not include any of those available from the Desert Resort. :P Though, I will tell you it was really hard to sacrifice Krookodile. He carried my last play through hard. Moxie/Jolly Krookodile ... too stronk xD Thanks for the support!

dat solo run

Hopefully you add your next Pokemon soon, or else Clay is gonna give your Lucario a lot of problems.
2 fails with Clay. You called it. I'll explain further in my Day 3 Post.

the movie that you're forced to make kinda sucks but i think that one makes a bad impression personally. a lot of them, like un souvenir inoubliable and the magical door movie are surprisingly deep an interesting imo.
[ i may have shed a single tear for un souvenir inoubliable ]
I'll keep that in mind. Perhaps once I finish a goal or two, I'll head back to the studios. :)

How exactly? 2 of his mons are weak to Lucario's Stabs... I would be honestly very surprised if he doesn't OHKO Krokorok and 2HKO Excadrill... And Exca is a lot less scary in BW2 because no Hone Claws.

Either way good luck bro. I am pretty sure its impossible to complete the Medal Rally, there are some really dumb luck medals in there which you don't get unless something special happens. I know there is a Medal for obtaining a shiny and stuff like that so...

EDIT: I'm also available for trades and stuff if you need anything :)
He's right, actually. And only because of one factor. My Lucario is physical. Clay's Krokorok leads with Intimidate. Therefore, I'm starting in a hole. When I used Work Up/X Attack to get out of the hole, he's laying down Bulldoze which reduces my speed and is hitting me for 49%.

I'll go further in my Day 3 post coming up right after this. :)

~/_\~Day 3 ~/_\~
*Attained Pokemon --
- Gothita
- Liepard
- Cottonee
- Klink
- Joltik
- N's Zorua (Gift)
- Heracross
- Petilil[Power Anklet] (In-Game Trade)
- Litwick
- Lampent

*Badges: 6

*Time Played: 21h 03m

Lucario (Lv. 44)
Adamant
255 Att, 255 Spd
Force Palm
Metal Claw
Bone Rush
Swords Dance

Lampent (Lv. 43)
Modest
255 Sp. Atk, 255 Spd
Inferno
Will-o-Wisp
Hex
Flame Burst

So, as you can see by the team summary, I've finally added another to my roster. :) Let me know what you think of the addition!

Part 1: Quake Badge
Well on to Route 5 I went from Nimbasa City. Bianca was there to show me something; it was called a hidden grotto. Apparently, some trees have these tunnels between them back into a little area where you can find Pokemon and items! To my luck, there was a Minccino there, although I had no interest in it. So, I left.

Some guy named Charles the Heartbreaker had a big crowd around him, so I went to see what the commotion was about. Apparently there was something called a Rotation Battle. Being the blind, ballsy person I am, I challenged him. He wouldn't allow me to take his 3 Pokemon on with only my Lucario. Something about ruining the sport of the game or whatever. Pansy.

I headed back to the Pokemon Center in Nimbasa City to grab some Pokemon I had caught for collector's purpose. I took Pidove and Sewaddle. Ruin the sport of the game? I'll show him. I challenged him with my 3 Pokemon and commanded my Lucario to knock out my own Pidove. Charles made short work of my Sewaddle and then, laughably, 3 turns later I knocked out the rest of his team with a still-healthy Lucario. Lucario was pretty proud as the crowd roared in applause and Charles, though impressed, left in embarrassment having lost at his own game. And to a single Pokemon at that.

I made my way on to the Driftveil drawbridge, which, apparently, was also known as the Charizard bridge due to its appearance when it was raised. I found a bunch of feathers along the bridge and turned them in to an
Indian hat. Worthless feathers. Might as well use them for something(1500 ea actually, a great way to farm money if you need it). Driftveil City, along with my fifth badge, were in sight.

A member of Team Plasma (Reformed) invited me to their hangout as I entered the city. Curious, I followed his directions and listened to how this new group of Team Plasma were trying to make amends for their misguided ruthlessness two years ago. I think I zoned out half way through. Anyways, the old guy gave me some guy named N's Pokemon, Zorua. I promised to take care of it and then immediately threw that poodle into my PC. Poodles are for girls.

Finally, I fought my way through the Driftveil Gym to conquer the not-so-might Cliff.

I got pwnd.

He lead with a Krokorok that set me back by harshly cutting my Lucario's Attack. I tried to recover with a couple of work ups, but it was no use. Krokorok Bulldozed my Lucario to sluggish levels of speed. I couldn't keep up with the damage by using potions. I lost.

I went back to try again, this time determined to knock out the Krokorok with neglected attack and move on to the next Pokemon. And so I did. Unfortunately, my Force Palm was only hitting Sandslash for 40%. He quickly knock out Lucario.

Defeated literally and mentally after taking my first two losses ever, I went towards Chargestone cave to train. Lucario learned Swords Dance, a one turn counter to Krokorok's Intimidate. PERFECT! I didn't stop there, though. Eventually I reached a bridge that was under construction in the cave. I decided I would go after Cliff once more. My Lucario had put on 8 levels and was sitting nicely at Level 41.

I attempted Cliff once more, countering his Krokorok's Intimidate with a Swords Dance and then boosted with another, using a hyper potion to stay alive as I OHKOd Krokorok with Force Palm. The same came of Sandslash the next turn, but due to be slowed by Bulldoze, I took significant damage from the hedgehog. I hyper potioned as Cliff called out his pride and joy.

His pride and joy knocked Lucario low but Force Palm OHKOd the mole. Finally, the Quake Badge. I shook hands with Cliff respectfully, finally earning my badge.

Part 2: Jet Badge
Cliff took me to see the newly opened Pokemon World Tour. I found a reminder-girl and taught my Lucario Metal Claw for ghosts and replaced foresight. Then I took out Pidove and Sewaddle again for a 3s tournament. They weren't happy with me. I lead with Lucario and went up against Hugh first. What a pathetic rival, I swept him no problem. The result for Cheren was even worse as my next opponent. He didn't even give me another basic badge. Kind of lame. Finally, my last opponent was Colress. He actually landed some damage, but, of course, my Lucario swept him as well.

I was awarded 1 BP. Fuck that, I wanted cash. I stormed out of PWT with my 1 BP and ended up following Hugh following a Team Plasma member on to a ship. We were ambushed by like 10 Plasmas. We cleaned them good. Then some guy named Zinzolin stopped us from progressing, called in his ninjas and had us knocked out with chloroform, and kicked us off the ship. I don't know what they did while we were knocked out, but my butt hurt a little. The idiots didn't even steal my Lucario. So confusing.

Regarldess,I headed towards Chargestone Cave, clearing it and the trainers within quickly before I came out in to Mistralton City.

I went to Celestial Tower and soft reset my DS for 2 hours finally finding a Modest Litwick. I would have been okay with Timid as well. 2 of 30 natures. A 1/15 chance to get what I wanted. And it took TWO HOURS!! Anyways, I went to Lostlorn to catch a couple Cottonees, picking up a Macho Brace at the gate on my way. One for my Pokedex, another for ... well you'll see. I also caught a Heracross.

I went to route 4 and traded a girl one of my Cottonees for her Petilil. It had a Power Anklet (+4 Speed EVs per XP Gain to the holder) attached to it! Wow! How CONVIENENT!

I then headed back to Celestial Tower and spent 3 hours grinding Litwicks. 130 of them to be exact. My Litwick went from level 30 to level 40 and was sitting nicely at 255 Sp. Atk and 255 Speed EVs. I tested this to ensure accuracy with a Clever and Swift Wing. They had no effect.

I decided it was finally time to take down Skyla and show her who's boss. After that, I'd beat her in a Pokemon battle. :naughty: Litwick did great against the trainers in the Gym, evolving into Lampent and hitting level 42 before I faced Skyla. Lampent struggled against Swoobat only because of Attract. Swoobat was hitting low and it took 2 Hexs to knock it out. Lampent just kept getting immobilized by love.

Skyla sent out Swanna so I called back Lampent (So nice to finally be able to switch ...) and sent out Lucario. Force Palm was only doing 25% and every time I got her low, she'd roost. So I used 2 hyper potions while I charged Lucario up with 3 Swords Dances and OHKOd her Swanna with a single Force Palm.

Lampent was back on the scene when she called out Skarmory and Lampent made quick and easy work of the steel type. Skyle handed over the Jet Badge and I saved and started writing this up.

Lampent proved extremely useful and competent in this gym despite having weaknesses everywhere. I'm feeling very confident in this Pokemon as I'm a first-time-user of it. I'm thinking I made a good call in picking one up.

Thanks for reading everyone! I'm going on vacation for the next few days so my progression will slow down. Don't be surprised if I don't post again until Thursday or Friday! Have a good week everyone :)

CHANDELURE
HNNGGH
i didn't use it because i had my team already but i
freaking
love
chandelure
so much

kudos for using it

though honestly i've beaten white 2 and i still haven't found a dusk stone yet... do you know where one is? i don't think the pwt has them as prizes.

[also it'd be amazing if you used that joltik if it has a good nature; joltik is one of the most adorable pokemon ever ok and galvantula is pretty sick too]

CHANDELURE
HNNGGH
i didn't use it because i had my team already but i
freaking
love
chandelure
so much

kudos for using it

though honestly i've beaten white 2 and i still haven't found a dusk stone yet... do you know where one is? i don't think the pwt has them as prizes.

[also it'd be amazing if you used that joltik if it has a good nature; joltik is one of the most adorable pokemon ever ok and galvantula is pretty sick too]
So my grandma has a hotspot transmitting from her phone which allows me to type this :D

Anyways, I hate Joltik/Galvantula.

There are 2 items in the basement of the Strange House east of Lentimas Town. The one on the right is the Dusk Stone. You have to 'progress' through the house and furniture will switch places allowing you to access different rooms and items.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)