Lower-Tier Threats

Psychotic

Banned deucer.
Lower-Tier Threats

Despite not being UU Pokemon, many threats such as Qwilfish, Venomoth, and Amoonguss can thrive in the UU metagame. These Pokemon can fill valuable niches that no UU Pokemon can, and can also catch players who don't prepare for them off guard. The goal of this thread is to discuss the impact that lower tier Pokemon can have in the UU environment. What unique role do they fill, and what makes them so effective in UU? This thread is meant to help uncover hidden gems from some of the lower tiers, and help broaden the constraints that many players put on themselves when building teams.

Whenever a new Pokemon is posted for discussion, the post must at least include these two pieces of information:
a. What role or niche does this Pokemon fill?
b. What makes this Pokemon effective in the current UU metagame?
You may also post a certain effective set that you think this pokemon can run, and analyze what makes that set effective.

A Pokemon that is completely outclassed by another in the same role should not be discussed(i.e. Pinsir, who is outclassed by Heracross). Same goes for Pokemon whose role is not valuable, or ones who are too weak to be competitive in the UU tier. After it has been discussed, any Pokemon that people decide fills a valuable role in the tier will be edited into the OP.

Notable Lower Tier Threats:
Inside the hide tags are many of the suggested threats, as well as links to the various sets that have been posted.
Amoonguss
Bouffalant
Cinccino
Crustle
Druddigon
Durant
Escavalier
Feraligatr
Galvantula
Golurk
Hitmonlee
Kabutops
Lilligant
Magneton
Piloswine
Qwilfish
Rotom-C
Scollipede
Slowking
Smeargle
Swellow
Torterra
Venomoth

Last edited:
cool thread :D

Kabutops

Role: Rapid spinner

Why it's effective: Kabutops is a very viable rapid spinner in UU right now. Kabutops can also beat Sash Froslass with a combination of Stone Edge and Aqua Jet. Kabutops also has some great resists like fire and bug which are common attacking types. Kabutops can even switch in to the listed types and set up a Swords Dance on the switch which helps it beat ghost types.

+2 252 Atk Kabutops Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Cofagrigus: 217-256 (68.02 - 80.25%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Kabutops Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Dusclops: 120-142 (42.25 - 50%) -- 90.63% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Kabutops Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Sableye: 327-385 (107.56 - 126.64%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(Kabu OHKOs all Chandelures)

Kabutops usually has to run Aqua Jet over Waterfall on the SD set for priority, Stone edge is a great STAB, Rapid Spin is for hazards, and SD boosts attack. Kabutops can even function as a great Rain sweeper alongside Kingdra! Kabutops works great in UU despite its RU status but that doesn't stop it!

Last edited:
Of course I love this one....

Swellow@Toxic Orb
252 atk / 252 spe / 4 sp.def
Jolly
Guts

Brave Bird
Façade
Quick Attack
U-turn

Swellow is a fast and powerful sweeper that requires very little set up. Bring it in on status/a Ghost or Ground attack/a double switch and start wrecking ass. There are few viable rock and steel types in the tier, which makes Façade a great move to sweep with. U-turn provides great momentum with how dangerous Swellow can be and Quick Attack lets it beat other priority users. Swellow is a monster.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, let me chime in here! I've got a number of lower tier threats to present here!

Druddigon (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Dragon Claw / Superpower

CB Druddigon is fucking amazing in the current UU metagame. While its RU status, poor speed, and juvenile appearance may make you think that this is a gimmick, never judge a Pokemon by its cover. 120 Attack with CB Outrage with high power and amazing coverage means Druddigon can nuke the majority of the UU metagame, and is easily one of the best wallbreakers UU has to offer. Its much higher Attack than Flygon and Kingdra is a great perk; unlike them, Druddigon isn't borderline on the damage output; it's flat out 2HKOing, if not OHKOing the entire tier. EQ and Sucker Punch are coverage and priority, respectively, and allow it to nail the steel or revenge kill Azelf. Druddigon also has great resistances and good bulk to come in on threats such as Darmanitan, Roserade, Zapdos, and more, and with all of this in mind, Druddigon will very rarely fail to achieve at least one KO per game. Overall this thing is fucking incredible; give it a shot, you won't be disappointed.

Scolipede (M) @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Megahorn
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Another highly underrated Pokemon, Scolipede is a great Pokemon in UU and is a great spiker; if Froslass gets banned, this guy has the potential to be one of the best spikers in the tier. It is really fast, and outpaces a lot of things in the tier such as Mienshao, Shaymin, Roserade, and Tornadus. Its Speed is so high that it even outpaces Tornadus and +1 Scrafty, which is a great benchmark to hit in terms of Speed. Scolipede can as such very quickly get up Spikes for your team, and Focus Sash+Swarm is great so you can get more Spikes, but then get a mega powered Megahorn to hit really hard as a final gambit; QuakeSlide coverage is also amazing to hit the majority of the tier for great damage, so Scolipede can't be walled too easily. While Froslass might seem better, Scolipede hits pretty hard and has potential to lay down some real hurt on the team; it also checks things like Shaymin and Roserade in the process. Overall this is a great Pokemon in UU; an SD set is also possible, of which I may post later, either way, definitely try this thing, it is amazing.

Slowking (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Atk / 248 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

While Slowbro is a better Pokemon on full stall, Slowking makes a great choice to put some balance onto your team, especially on balanced teams. It has better special bulk as well as Dragon Tail, which make it a usable mixed wall, and the single best matchup against Kingdra in the tier. It is a great Pokemon if your team is manhandled by Kingdra, with Thunder Wave, Dragon Tail, and Regen+Slack Off. All of Kingdra's moves against Slowking have major drawbacks; with Outrage and Draco Meteor having obvious ones, while HP Elec is not a good move to be locked into. Slowking still makes for a great mixed wall, being able to check the things Slowbro does, but check special threats like Azelf, Nidoking, and Nidoqueen. It also has Dragon Tail to phaze and make it harder to switch into while handling bulky Water-types better. If you want utility over sheer bulk, definitely give Slowking a shot.

Diatom

An enigma
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
One word. Venomoth.

Venomoth @ Black Sludge
Trait: Wonder Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 248 HP / 8 Def
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Baton Pass
- Bug Buzz/Roost

IMO this is one of the top mons in UU. The ability to pass a Quiver Dance boost to a mon like Chandelure, Nidoqueen, or Shaymin basically seals the game if Snorlax and Umbreon are sufficiently weakened. Here's a list of UU mons that you can set up on, with Wonder Skin letting you avoid Roar; it's quite a long list.
Blastoise
Claydol
Cobalion lacking Stone Edge
Cofagrigus
Dusclops
Empoleon
Froslass
Gligar
Heracross locked into anything but Stone Edge
Hitmontop
Mienshao locked into anything but Stone Edge
Milotic
Mismagius lacking Nasty Plot
Porygon2
Registeel
Rosarade
Snorlax if defensive
Suicune
Umbreon
Virizion lacking Stone Edge
Xatu if defensive
Basically any specially attacking mon that can't hit it super effectively and doesn't have obscene power.

I personally find Venomoth to reliably pass QDs to other members of my team with ease, and find it to be a great mon in UU. Sleep Powder, Quiver Dance, and Baton Pass are necessities, but the last moveslot for Venomoth can be tailored to your needs. Roost lets you set up easier and on more mons as you can Roost off the damage that they do to you, while Bug Buzz lets you deal with some weakened mons or mons weak to bug by yourself after a few QDs. There's also some choice in the abilities; I prefer Wonder Skin so that you can semi-reliably set up on stuff like Blastoise and Whirlwind Snorlax, but Tinted Lens is viable if you choose to go with Bug Buzz for OK sweeping capability if you can't get the pass off for some reason, and Shield Dust is nice against stuff like Machamp's DynamicPunch and Porygon2's Tri Attack.

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here's a Poke I've been messing around with on a VoltTurn team I made recently:

Rotom-C @ Expert Belt
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 136 Spd / 4 SDef / 116 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

The EVs are a bit custom, made specifically to be able to outspeed Adamant Honchkrow. What I like about this set is that it can wreck every single bulky water in UU with Leaf Storm or Volt Switch. I had been using an all-out Specs set but I kind of hated the prediction associated with it, especially since Leaf Storm isn't as "spammable" a move in UU as Rotom-H's Overheat, from what I got. So I ran an Expert Belt set since most people would assume Rotom-C is choiced, on top of the fact it can surprise a few physical attackers with a surprise Will-O-Wisp. It's a bit bulky because Rotom's typing is useful for switching on water-types, and it's able to take the occasional non-STAB Ice Beam to the face and hit back hard afterward. I've been wanting to test it further in UU as a substitute for Shaymin on some of my teams, as I usually threw LO Shaymin onto my teams to use as a check to bulky waters in the tier. Honestly, I strongly recommend giving Rotom-C a try.

The only thing I hate is you can't pair Rotom-H with it due to species clause. :[ They have such good synergy together, it's ridiculous.

Yes low tier discussion! I feel like there are so many hidden gems in RU and NU that have a lot of potential to be really good in UU. I'm gonna be closely watching this thread for sure.

Golurk is a pretty good tank in UU:

Golurk @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Punch
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

Being resistant to Rock and Bug as well immune to Fighting makes it a great switch into Heracross and Mienshao and it's base 124 attack stat means it can deal some nice damage with it's STABs and Iron Fisted boosted Ice Punch. It isn't too great of a spin blocker unfortunately due to the weaknesses Ground typing provides but it can deal with Hitmontop decently enough atleast. Choice Band set is another one I've enjoyed using, and a physically defensive set with No Guard Dynamic Punch could be (in theory) very annoying to face.

Feel like I'll discuss the other things listed so far:

(How do you chose what goes into the "Hide" text box?)

Kabutops:
I've actually been testing out Kabutops recently, firstly a bulky offensive set and secondly the standard RU Swords Dance Rapid Spin set. Both are pretty cool, honestly I think Kabutops could actually outclass UU's rapid spinners =/

Lum Berry on the SD set makes it even easier for Kabutops to beat Dusclops or defensive Cofagrigus. I'd say its probably the best set to try out with Kabutops.

Druddigon:
I feel like I should give Druddigon another look in UU, I know I've used him before but seeing him brought back up has me interested in exploring it more. I gotta say though I am really hesitant to run Choice Band Sucker Punch on anything, it leaves you so open to set up and switching that I just don't think its worth it. On a Leftovers set however I'd run it for sure.

Slowking:
Its unfortunate that Water/Psychic is so much more beneficial with dealing with the physical threats of UU, but Slowking still has excellent bulk and a good move pool. I've used Nasty-Room Slowking to some good success before, Nasty Plot is another significant move it has over Slowbro.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Galvantula @ Choice Specs
Trait: Compoundeyes
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 SDef (pretty sure it has balanced defences, if not +4 HP)
Timid Nature
- Thunderrrrrrr
- Volt Switch
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

Galvantula is awesome. It distinguishes itself from Raikou and Zapdos in two key ways. First of all, it has Compoundeyes, allowing it to viably run 91% Accurate thunders that are much more powerful than Raikou or Zapdos' attacks. Second of all, it gets access to Bug Buzz Dual Stab as well as the extremely important Giga Drain. Rather than having to resort to a Hidden Power, Galvantula gets to run a Grass coverage move straight from its arsenal that can demolish grounds coming in predicting the VS/Thunder and heal all the damage it's taken from SR in the process.

That's the exact Galvantula set I've used and it's pretty nice. However, there's a set that I haven't gotten around to trying yet, so I don't really know how well it works in practice.

Galvantula @ Expert Belt
Trait: Compoundeyes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Choice Specs Thunder is amazing, but it was annoying using Choice Specs on a SR weak pokemon. Specs requires some prediction and every wrong prediction will cost you a switch. Is that Swampert switching out? 90% of the time they will and Giga Drain will be useless, but that 10% of the time when the guy stays in, your Thunder does nothing and you're screwed.

EBelt will ease prediction in these situations. I can Giga Drain against those Swampert and still be able to Thunder whatever switches in. Being able to bluff Specs has its perks, but I'm not quite sure how this would work in practice. Finally, I have HP Ice there to give it more coverage against Ground. Raikou always has to choose between HP Ice and Grass. Wouldn't it be nice to have both? The biggest problem here is... what move should I boot out in favour of HP Ice? The only sensible option is Volt Switch, but man that sucks. It's hard giving up such a good move, but having that ice/grass coverage sounds amazing

What do you think of this set? Does my reasoning seem sound?

Hitmonlee is a fun lower tier Mon that I use a lot. Bona fide nuke button.
Hitmonlee @ Liechi Berry
Trait: Unburden
Evs: 252 att / 252 spd / 4 hp
Adamant nature
-Endure
-Reversal
-Mach Punch
-Stone Edge

What can I say? How about the speed tier after an unburden boost? At 552 after unburden you outspeed everything scarfed. Reversal on 1 hp is amazing, it has a 62.5% chance to Ohko full evs hp and def Suicune after stealth rocks, that's the limit for a non resist.
It has some counters, i.e. Gligar, Slowbro, Cresselia, Sableasymode, Nidoqueen, but it murders offensive mins not named Azumarril or Arcanine. Sucker punch doesn't cause an issue with bisharp and Zooark because of mach punch, but Honchkrow can cause issues he aide scarf don't sucker punch but life orb do, and the Krow can take a mach punch, so some prediction is needed. Weavile cannot priority ice shard because of mach punch either, but you do need rocks to get rid of the sash. Stone edge is a must, you need to be able to hit Zapdos, Mismagius, Yanmega, and unfortunately that means Stone Edge.
Hitmonlee has 110 special defence, and even with 50 hp uninvested it tanks things like a life orbed thunderbolt from Zapdos after stealth rocks, it can even survive a specs thunderbolt 50% of the time after stealth rocks, so he is indeed very bulky specially. There are no sweepers in UU who do this, and it excels as a late game sweeper. I'd advise several things: rain dance/sunny day to stop hail from ruining your day. Rapid spinner/poison type to get toxic spikes off the field. Fire type for sableye, and a wall breaker. Try Hitmonlee if you have the balls to press the super Saiyan button.

Venomoth @ Life Orb
Trait: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic

Instead of going Baton Pass, why not use Venomoth as a late game sweeper? Bring it in to put something to sleep, get a free QD, and with the assist of LO and Tinted Lens you can drop some powerful bombs to to pick off your weakened foes. Ran a few calcs, the vast majority of special walls are minimum 2HKO after SR dmg (if you have the chance to get a 2nd boost, GG all day). Obviously you need to watch out for T-Wave or WoW because both hinder the ability to sweep late game, and hazard removal is always appreciated, but given a chance, Venomoth could save your skin in a late game comeback. Move choices of Bug Buzz + Psychic gives you perfect coverage because of Tinted Lens essentially removing the x2 resist a poke might have (no poke is 4x resist to Bug + Psychic moves).

TPO3

Never practice; Always perform.
Lilligant @Life Orb/Lum Berry/Leftover, but
Trait: Chlorophyl
252 SpAtk/4 SpDef/252 Spe
Timid nature
~Quiver Dance
~Giga Drain
~Hidden Power Rock/Hidden Power Fire
~Sleep Powder

Lilligant is pretty underrated in the current tier. Pretty much any bulky Water-type spells free setup, and the +1 Speed Sleep Powder could mean even more. The only risk you really take is that even at +1, there are a couple of Scarf threats that can still outspeed you (ie: Flygon, Mienshao, Darmanitan), so you'll need proper team support to keep them out. Otherwise at +2 it's pretty much just free KOs against anything that's not like Snorlax or Registeel. It's also cool that Lilligant can use Umbreon as setup bait. People like to just slap it on teams and use it to cover a lot of special threats, but it just ends up backfiring on them.

Qwilfish @Black Sludge
Trait: Intimidate
252 HP/204 Def/52 Spe
Impish nature
~Spikes
~Pain Split
~Waterfall/Poison Jab
~Thunder Wave/Haze/Toxic Spikes

Qwilfish is just awesome in the current metagame. It switches into physical Fire-types and Fighting-types repeatedly and just uses these opportunities to get Spikes up. Considering the popularity of Heracross, Mienshao, Victini, and Darmanitan, Qwilfish is pretty nice to have on some teams. Especially the ones that love having Spikes up, but don't want to play a game 5 on 6 by using Suicide Froslass or Crustle. Qwilfish also spreads paralysis pretty effectively, as things like Raikou or Zapdos would love to switch in for "free".

It's Torterra!!!

Anyway, here is what it can do well:

1. It kills off Swampert and Rhyperior without much trouble, setting up Stealth Rock against them.
2. Dual Screens lets it outclass Claydol where a spinner is not needed.
3. Unlike Swampert/Rhyperior/Claydol, Torterra has reliable recovery, and a higher BP physical stab than Earthquake, Waterfall, or Stone Edge.
4. It resists EdgeQuake unlike Swampert and Rhyperior.

Feraligatr @ Mystic Water
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 56 HP / 200 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch

This is quickly becoming my favourite RU mon to use in UU. With just a single Swords Dance, Feraligatr goes from so-so to an absolute terror with +2 and priority (hopefully Torrent boosted as well!). It's bulk is usable, so it's not easy to OHKO it. And against Feraligatr, you really wanna KO it because if you bring it into Torrent range...

I like to use Crunch as it deals Slowbro, and you can hope for the Def. drop on the bulky grass/waters that are bound to switch in and cut your Gatr sweep short. The 200 speed is just to outspeed Adamant Honchkrow. Itemwise, Life Orb could be more dangerous, but I don't like the idea of recoil damage cutting my sweep short. Mystic Water lets me spam attacks while in Torrent range without killing myself. Life orb could give you some extra offense outside of Torrent range, and it can put you INTO torrent range, so that's something to consider, but I'm completely happy with Mystic Water.

And here's a nice threat that fits a very specific role.

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Trait: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Head Charge / Return
- Megahorn
- Earthquake
- Substitute

IMO the best Sap Sipper in the game. Simply having this on your team protects you from the deadly grass attacks from Roserade, Shaymin, and even HP Grass from one of the popular electrics. It also protects you from 2 extremely annoying moves, Leech Seed and Spore. I think that in the same way Magic Bouncers play mindgames against hazard setters, Sap Sippers can play mindgames against grass attacks. It can be mentally stressful when you REALLY wanna get rid of that Rhyperior or Swampert (or that Gatr that I mentioned above), yet there's a threatening Sap Sipper waiting in the wings. Let's say you predict a Rhyperior lead and you lead with HP Grass Raikou. What do you do? HP Grass to take out Rhyperior, or Electric attack to hurt Bouffalant. It puts a lot of stress on players that really wanna get rid of that grass weak threat.

It forces a lot of grass types out. It's powerful enough offensively that no grass type wants to take an attack. It's also got enough bulk to take an attack and retaliate with a powerful normal attack. Roserade is physically weak defensively and can't take out Bouffalant, so it has to choose between dying or having someone else take a +1 Head Charge (two of them if Bouffalant decides to stay in). Shaymin can be pretty bulky but even Shaymin won't appreciate a +1 Mega Horn. However, be careful of Tangrowth, as those things can pack a specs boosted Focus Blast, and is also insanely strong physically defensively.

It plays a lot like a Choice Bander, in that it switches in against Grass types, then threatens it out and deals massive damage to whatever comes in, but I like the leftovers, since I want it to live as long as the grass type that it's supposed to counter.

It has trouble against ghost types. It can EQ then switch out, but a lot of ghost types can just shrug off an EQ. Cofag and Dusclops can shrug it off like it's nothing, and Mismagius avoids it completely. Chandelure has to be careful, so atleast it deals with the top ghost type in the tier.

Return doesn't have that annoying recoil, but I like the extra power that Head Charge provides.

For lower tiers, I really think Rotom-C is a great addition to any team that has Arcanine, Darmanitan, or Physical Victini. For the most part, Water types are the bane of Fire Type's existence. Not only do they resist their STABs, but Water types can retaliate with a super effective STAB of their own! Rotom-C as the 2 coverage moves--in STAB--that can deal with any water type. These moves are namely Volt Switch, Thunderbolt, and Leaf Storm.

Now, there are two sets that I want to showcase, RestChesto Berry and Expert Belt attacker.

Rotom-C @ Chesto Berry

EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA/ 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Ice/Thunderbolt
- Rest

The point of this set is to absorb toxic and scald burns that bulky water types like to inflict. In addition to this, Rotom-C can bluff the choice scarf by outputting the same damage; however, "outspeeding" lower threats. By sending out Rotom-C on a faster Pokemon (naturally), most players would be inclined to believe it is Scarfed. The damage would further back up the notion that Rotom-C is scarfed. In addition to this, its typing allows it to 4x electric, 2x grass, among other types. It has good defensive stats, boasting 50/105/105 which is not terrible. Resting up when you are at low health allows Rotom-C to be back in the game--effectively being a specially OR physically defensive pivot. Volt Switch provides momentum and hits most Water Types for good damage, typically over 50% of their HP. Leaf Storm decimates ground and water types. The toss up between HP Ice and Thunderbolt is whether you want a more reliable Electric STAB, or the ability to hit Gligar and such for consistent damage. Although not standard, going with HP Grass allows Rotom-C to have a respectable and reliable Grass type STAB, similar to how Zapdos runs HP Flying.

Rotom-C @ Expert Belt

EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA/ 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Ice/Hidden Power Fire/Thunderbolt
- Will-o-Wisp/Pain Split/Thunderbolt/Thunder Wave

This sets capitalizes on Rotom-C's good offensive stats and good move pool. With Expert belt, Rotom-C can 2HK most of the tier when it hits an opposing Poke for Super Effective Damage. Again, Volt Switch provides momentum and Leaf Storm provides instant power. Hidden Power Ice or Fire depends on what your team needs more, an answer to Ground/Flying types or Steel/Bug types. The last move can be Thunderbolt for a good electric STAB. Will-o-Wisp and Thunder Wave are good at catching opponents off guard. Will-o-Wisp allows Rotom-C to cripple most physical attackers as well as grab residual damage on other Pokes. Thunder Wave slows down the team for a slower sweeper to do work. Pain Split allows Rotom-C to deal good damage to the Big Special Walls of UU such as Snorlax and Umbreon, then VS out to something like Cobalion. This set should be used NOT as a pivot, but more of a momentum grabber, again, bluffing the Scarf set.

Torterra seems pretty interesting Explorer, what set(s) have you run on it?

Since it hasn't been brought up yet and is my favorite low tier:

Piloswine @ Eviolite

Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Piloswine is a great tank and Stealth Rock setter. Its a great answer to Electric types thanks to Thick Fat and has excellent coverage with it's two STABS. Ice Shard OHKOs Flygon, 2HKOs Roserade and does atleast 30% to sweepers that don't resist it. Icicle Spear aids Piloswine in beating Sash leads or things behind Subs and Earthquake is great for getting surprise kills on Fire types that expect to OHKO Piloswine (not even CB Victini can OHKO it). Grass types like Roserade, Shaymin, or Rotom-Mow are great partners for Piloswine, as they resist 2 of Piloswine's most major weaknesses.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
@ Explorer, I def wanna see the sets you run on Torterra...I loves my Ground-types, and Torterra was my fave DPPt starter, I'd love to be able to try and bust it out in UU one time for kicks.

And also kind of building off of noknuckles' mention of Bouffalant, I've had a lot of fun using this specific set in UU: It's somewhat identical but somewhat different (lol sorry Psych071c for multiposting the same poke)

Bouffalant (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sap Sipper
EVs: 84 Spd / 252 Atk / 172 HP
Adamant Nature
- Head Charge
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Substitute/Superpower

This set is kind of identical and somewhat redundant, but I run Superpower over Substitute simply for the bonus of having extra coverage against certain things. My team had some issues with Snorlax, but that's besides the point. More importantly than anything, the EVs were customized mainly to be able to let Bouffalant outspeed Umbreon so you don't end up dying to a Foul Play. It also gets the jump on some of the slowest, bulkiest walls, which can be pretty important. The best part of this set is that if your team lacks a sleep absorber and you can't really let yourself go 5-6, just throw this thing at something and wreak havoc. Venomoth, Roserade, Amoonguss, Shaymin, Tangrowth, you name it. It's also funny if you're willing to risk scouting a Raikou for a surprise HP Grass. Goes great at parties

At one point I considered running something like Bulldoze or Scary Face just for lolz in the last slot but I'd advise using Sub or Superpower, mostly Sub.

For those of you who are looking for a more offensive version of OTR Cofagrigus or Nasty-Room Slowking, look no further than Nasty-Room Beheeyem.

Beheeyem (F) @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 Sp.A / 252 HP / 4 Sp. Def
Quiet/Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Signal Beam

Beheeyem might not seem like anything special at first glance, but under Trick Room, a whole new power is unlocked. With a massive base 125 Sp. Atk, decent 75/75/95 defenses, and pretty stellar Psychic/Bug coverage, it literally shocked me how well this guy performed. Beheeyem can 2HKO both Snorlax and Umbreon with the appropriate move after one Nasty Plot, which is just a testament to how powerful this guy can really get.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah here's some more

Amoonguss @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog / Sludge Bomb
- Stun Spore / Synthesis

Amoonguss is really good in UU, so much that I'd almost argue it deserves to be UU. It has a great typing by UU standards, and has the coveted Spore, so it can incapacitate an opponent entirely and essentially eliminate them, while spreading paralysis to other Pokemon making them crippled, and is overall a great Pokemon to be exceptionally annoying. It also has a great typing and good bulk, so it makes a great check to prominent threats such as Mienshao, Zapdos, and Kingdra, and Clear Smog is also really good to remove any DD boosts from Kingdra. It also has Regenerator+Synthesis to keep itself healthy, which helps along with powders that make Amoonguss an annoying Pokemon to face. It also forms a great Regenerator core with Slowbro, as between the two of them you can check almost everything in UU bar Chandelure and Abomasnow, of which Snorlax fits perfectly, and using Snorlax to patch up Amoon's weaknesses isn't bad, because Snorlax is one of the best Pokemon in the tier. Also, offensive sets are perfectly viable too. This thing is very underrated in general and should get more usage

Cinccino @ Life Orb
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Tail Slap
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- U-turn

Cinccino is simply a boss. This thing is insanely fast, and it hits really hard. Tail Slap, Bullet Seed, and Rock Blast provide great coverage that only get walled by Steel-types, and with its Speed and power, Cinccino is perfectly capable of sweeping teams like no other. The multi-hits of the moves also help Cincy, because it can wreck leads such as Froslass and Scolipede, as well as break Subs from things like Sub Kingdra and SubSplit Chandelure. Cinccino also threatens Rhyperior and Swampert big time thanks to Bullet Seed and it also wrecks Zapdos, which is awesome. Cinccino also has U-turn to gain momentum off of things like Bronzong and Bisharp and proceed to destroy them with proper teammates (Krookodile and Chandelure imo), which is awesome as it can give you momentum while also having great sweeping power. An incredibly underrated mon that should also get more usage.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry that there's no threat included in this post, but @Explorer I am also really interested to see what sets you use on Torterra.

Metric

is banned in America
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Lower-Tier Steels are very effective in UU:

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 252 SAtk / 176 Spd / 80 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch
NOTES:
-You can speed creep more(or less) if you want, but this beats out Modest Empoleon
-HP Ice generally shouldn't be used as it is only really useful for the ability to one-shot Gligar, everything else you would use HP Ice on gets mangled hard enough by Flash Cannon

Specs Magneton hits stupidly hard, very few things in UU can switch in safely on this. Magneton's typing means that it gets quite a few opportunities to come in and wreak havoc and sets it apart from fellow Electrics; Zapdos, who is Stealth Rock weak, and Raikou, who offers little defensively. Analytic is what really makes the set shine, as being faster or switching into Magneton means unless you are heavily sp.def inclined, you are going to take a significant chunk of damage if not straight OHKO'd, giving it effects similar to that of the mighty specs Chandelure.

Durant @ Life Orb/Lum Berry
Trait: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide/Superpower

Durant's interesting, but fast base 109 speed makes it a powerful and speedy offensive threat that packs a mighty punch thanks to hustle while outpacing a number of key offensive threats such as Mienshao, Cobalion, and Zapdos. With a little prior damage, after just one Hone Claws the heads start to roll.

Escavalier @ Choice Band
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 96 Spd / 252 Atk / 156 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Sleep Talk/Return

Another choicer that hits stupidly hard. Many are familiar with the power of CB Escavalier, for those who aren't, it can do crazy things like OHKO Offensive Zapdos with Megahorn (without rocks!) when in Swarm range and has a chance to OHKO sub roost variants with rocks up. This is a great bander that can use its bulk and numerous resistances to come in and do some serious damage and also makes a fine pursuiter, catching Ghosts and Psychics stuck on a resisted move with ease. EVs are tweakable, but the above allow Escavalier to outspeed Slowbro and Snorlax which is pretty important.

Last edited:
I recommend Sleep Talk over Return on Escavalier, makes it a pretty nice and sturdy sleep absorber. I don't really know how useful it is to run Analytic on Magneton when you're also running speed EVs. Sturdy could be an interesting but gimmicky option and Magnet Pull could make Magneton a nice Steel trapper/killer.

I recommend Sleep Talk over Return on Escavalier, makes it a pretty nice and sturdy sleep absorber. I don't really know how useful it is to run Analytic on Magneton when you're also running speed EVs. Sturdy could be an interesting but gimmicky option and Magnet Pull could make Magneton a nice Steel trapper/killer.
The point with Analytic is not really to try and be slower then everything to get the boost. It's better used as a way to brutally smack things that try and switch in to take a hit. Magnet Pull to me really doesn't have that much of a use. the only two things you are trapping and killing are Escavalier and Bisharp slower then you, and the occasional Registeel.

Psychotic

Banned deucer.
There are some really awesome and underrated pokemon that have been discussed here, great work guys! I have edited pretty much every set into the OP, the exception being Beheeyem. It's typing and bulk are pretty terrible, I personally think you are better off using something like Slowking every time. Great to see this thread is so active, keep the suggestions coming!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)