Rebooting the Chinese Translation Project

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
What are we doing?

- Our first priority is simply to translate the names of all Pokemon, items, moves, natures, abilities, and types. Actually that's really all we're doing.

What have we done?

- We've translated all the natures and types so far. And yes, that's why we need help.

If you're interested in helping out, simply post! Keep the following guidelines in mind when considering if you want to sign up though:

Guidelines (I admit it partially adapted from the Spanish Reboot thread):

- You should have a reasonable command of both English and Chinese.
- Yes, we will be using plain and normal Mandarin. (Wait, the written text doesn't differ at all among dialects anyway)
- You don't need programming skills in order to participate. You also don't need to know HTML, but it's always a plus.
- Time! We'll need a lot of time; with 649 Pokemon, 559 moves, and a lot of items, dedication is definitely a must if we're going to get anything done.

Well, I was born and living in Hong Kong, so seems like I can help this out?

Also, are we using Traditional Chinese or Simplified Chinese? Just asking.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, I was born and living in Hong Kong, so seems like I can help this out?

Also, are we using Traditional Chinese or Simplified Chinese? Just asking.
Both. :) There's a tool online that conveniently converts between Traditional and Simplified characters so you don't need to know both. Just either will do!

Both. :) There's a tool online that conveniently converts between Traditional and Simplified characters so you don't need to know both. Just either will do!
I'm pretty sure that some pokemons have different name in Hong Kong (traditional chinese) and China (simplified chinese)/Taiwan/Macau (traditional chinese).
Like how Bulbasaur is 奇異種子 in Hong Kong, and 妙蛙種子 (traditional) / 妙蛙种子 (simplified) in China/Taiwan/Macau.
In this case, which one should we use?

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm pretty sure that some pokemons have different name in Hong Kong (traditional chinese) and China (simplified chinese)/Taiwan/Macau (traditional chinese).
Like how Bulbasaur is 奇異種子 in Hong Kong, and 妙蛙種子 (traditional) / 妙蛙种子 (simplified) in China/Taiwan/Macau.
In this case, which one should we use?
Oh that's interesting. We have one section each for both simplified and traditional so we can create 2 pages, one for simplified and another for traditional. We'll probably take the most common name as well I guess.

hmmm...
maybe the Cantonese (Hong Kong) name for traditional, and Mandarin (China, Taiwan, etc) name for simplified?

EDIT: Oh and also, anything I can work on for now? I'm like, really bored.

Last edited:

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
i guess we're waiting for enough people to join and fill up the slots

sandshrewz are you in? we are lacking people ;3

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I guess I can help out if there's a lack of people, though I might not be extremely active for this one. My mother tongue is Chinese so I should be fine, even though I'm not that fluent at it.

I'm new to this, how will we go about with the translations?

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
I'm new to this, how will we go about with the translations?
sandshrewz and I (by which I mean me because sandshrewz is lazy) are setting up the forum. Once we're done we'll have a dedicated area to work. And no, there's no minimum number of slots before we can start. And yes, I have exams soon so don't expect this to start too soon. And no, you don't need to be incredibly active since we understand this isn't the most scintillating of projects.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ok so to get this straight,

sandshrewz and level 51 are our leaders

darren, me, scorpdestroyer and zerobreaker000(?) are in the team

okay nice headcount

It's not done from scratch. It's referred to other sites. However, the site doesn't seem to have any standardization on those names.
Well, you might as well just link them the chinese pokemon wiki (which contains the commonly used names) instead of carrying everything over. It's pretty comprehensive, updated for 5th gen, and easy to navigate. (http://www.pokemon.name/wiki/首页)

Just trying to save you guys the hassle, but if ya'll wish to continue still then 加油!

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sandz has a lot of irl stuff going on so he's made me co-leader of the project with Level 51. I can't wait to start working with you all!

If you're wondering what we're up to, Level 51 and I have begun working on distinguishing phonetic / meaning translations of Pokemon in this thread. Come help out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)