Item Assault Vest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scizor doesn't like the loss of power from no Adamant and no attack EVs. And you can't Swords Dance with Assault Vest. Sounds a bit gimmicky.

Given that with Assault Vest, you lose the ability to use reliable recovery and Leftovers, has anyone considered its application with Drain Punch or Giga Drain users? When it’s available in December, I think Conkeldurr could run a pretty effective Assault Vest set. He has pretty impressive offensive presence with no boosting item and his high base HP and Def usually mean its efficient to invest some EVs in SpD. You can take most unboosted neutral Special hits very well, then heal the damage off with Drain Punch. Payback, Poison Jab , Stone Edge and Elemental Punches are all good coverage moves to bait Psychics/Ghosts/Fairies in, or hit your counters hard. Honestly, Assault Vest just seems to be made for Bulky Offensive Pokemon that don’t really offer too much in the way of support.

This thing is incredible on TTar. Been using it with great success. Was completely against this item when I first saw it and I honestly just used it to test how bulky it could make TTar in sand and my god, more bulky than blissey or what? It's incredible for offensive teams and it fits TTar to a T. I was first using it on a sassy special tanky TTar but wanted to try out full offense with max hp and max attack.

This along with the "If a moves hits you super effective you get 2xattack and 2xspecial attack [Endure :D]" is my favourite item to use.

Along with TTar and Heatran, people seem to forget the water psychic derp brothers which are in my opinion, thanks to regenerator, the best abusers of this item.

Especially Slowking with regenerator and assault vest, as it counters things like moltres Life orb even more easily not considering the special attack nerfs.

Furthermore Slowking can run moves like Psychic, Scald, Ice Beam and Flamethrower/Fairy Move Power 80/etc. and heal it self with regenarator when it switches.

The Pokeball Mushroom could do the same thing, although the Shrooms likes Spore, though.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Scizor doesn't like the loss of power from no Adamant and no attack EVs. And you can't Swords Dance with Assault Vest. Sounds a bit gimmicky.
I just posted those stats to show what Scizor is capable of-- I don't think it'll be the most optimal option. However, between Careful, Adamant, EVs, Assault Vest and CB, Scizor has a LOT of options as a trapper. I think with proper modification, it can be modified to reliably switch into, trap and kill almost everything on this list:

(Probably wants Assault Vest to trap)
-Alakazam
-Gengar
-Latios
-Starmie
-Latias
-Jirachi
(Probably wants CB to trap)

In order of frail and powerful (needing more bulk investment and requiring less power to bring down reliably) to bulky and weak (needing more power and requiring less bulk to reliably bring down). And remember, this is just considering Pursuit as a 100% check mate. Even a weaker careful Scizor can destroy Latias with U-Turn if it stays in to defend against Pursuit. Even a frailer CB Scizor can destroy Gengar if it uses Bullet Punch while Gengar expects it to use Pursuit. The point is that Scizor's trapping abilities have been incredibly diversified, and it's extremely stealthy with a lot of room for customization.

I'm sure someone will find a sweet spot between power and bulk that just destroys a majority of that list.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
^Jirachi rarely runs Fire Punch at all, and it's mostly on CS (ie. let your enemy lock himself into something else first). If you want your Scizor to be a Jirachi hunter, just make sure you identify the set first. Anyway, Jirachi hunting is a job for CB Scizor, not Assault Vest.

Every single tank with Regenerator would love this. Slowbro/king, Ho-Oh(dat 154 sDef gets boosted?) and Tangrowth put in work.
I could see Defog MegaScizor, Assault Vest Tyranitar and Wish Togekiss being on a team. Between lack of hazards and phenomenal Wish support, Tyranitar should have no trouble with lack of Leftovers.

This could work very well with moves that both deal damage and boost stats like flame charge, charge beam, or fell stinger, especially if scizor can get the latter as an egg move. Do we know any other possible good abusers of this

How does this work with Trick against stallers such as Blissey? Will this force Blissey to use only attacks the whole match?

How does this work with Trick against stallers such as Blissey? Will this force Blissey to use only attacks the whole match?
Well, to begin with, you can only trick it if the holder has klutz, since AV prevents trick. So that tactic is limited to, what, Lopunny and Swoobat??

Given that with Assault Vest, you lose the ability to use reliable recovery and Leftovers, has anyone considered its application with Drain Punch or Giga Drain users? When it’s available in December, I think Conkeldurr could run a pretty effective Assault Vest set. He has pretty impressive offensive presence with no boosting item and his high base HP and Def usually mean its efficient to invest some EVs in SpD. You can take most unboosted neutral Special hits very well, then heal the damage off with Drain Punch. Payback, Poison Jab , Stone Edge and Elemental Punches are all good coverage moves to bait Psychics/Ghosts/Fairies in, or hit your counters hard. Honestly, Assault Vest just seems to be made for Bulky Offensive Pokemon that don’t really offer too much in the way of support.
My mouth started watering at the idea, but then I remembered that he'd have to sacrifice Bulk Up... Therefore:

Conkeldurr@Assault Vest
Guts/Iron Fist
Adamant 252 At / 252 SpD / 4 Spd
(126 HP / 252 At / 126 SpD / 4 Spd)
~ Power-Up Punch
~ Drain Punch
~ Ice Punch/Stone Edge/Earthquake/Fire Punch/Thunder Punch/Poison Jab/Payback
~ Ice Punch/Stone Edge/Earthquake/Fire Punch/Thunder Punch/Poison Jab/Payback

If you want to sustain your health you're going to want a means to buff it so that you can really abuse the health regeneration from Drain Punch. Your coverage moves should be dedicated to hitting what Drain Punch can't. Earthquake can hit Aegislash which will likely be crucial, as well as MegaGengar if he plans on switching into a punch (pre-transformed). Thunder Punch hits Skarmory and Gyarados, Ice punch hits Gliscor and Landorus, Fire Punch can hit Jirachi,it really depends on what you want covered or what your team needs covering. Poison Jab hits Fairy (but not part Klinky/Megamawile). Payback hits Psychic and Ghosts. Guts prevents you from being shut down by burn, which will likely be more common with the improved accuracy. Iron Fist is always an option if you don't think it's likely but I think the Guts fail safe is too important. Mix and match EVs as necessary but HP is probably least important because you benefit more from boosting your At and SpD.

Chicharino

Wait, I'm a bit confused, people told me that roost/recover could be used with Assault Vest? So can say a Scizor with Assault Vest use Roost. Y/N?

Wait, I'm a bit confused, people told me that roost/recover could be used with Assault Vest? So can say a Scizor with Assault Vest use Roost. Y/N?
Description says you have to use attacking moves. That means no self-boosting or healing. They'd make terrific Baton Pass recipients though.

Slowbro seems an ideal user too, patching its weaker SpecD and still having regenerator for recovery.
I was just thinking that myself. Max HP and SpA could make it a decent tank/defensive pivot. Slowbro has an nice movepool with the likes of Scald, Psyshock, Fireblast, Grass Knot, Ice Beam, Focus Blast, and Shadow ball.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Any uber user?

- Dialga
- Mewtwo (maybe)
- Ho-oh
- Kyogre
- Yveltal
Limited to dialga/ho oh and maybe ogre. Yveltal absolutely needs sub, mewtwo getting more SpD is just begging to get fucked. Dialga is already amazing and can function as a better wall alongside it's already incredible coverage. Ho oh wrecks shit and walls xerneas with assault best. Ogre I'm undecided towards thanks to the weather nerf.

So, havent posted one of these, and please excuse me if the EV's are bad, as im not so good with number calculations, but I found a set that might be beneficial with Assult Vest (Go ahead and suggest btter EV's if you have any)

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
Impish
252 HP / 198 Atk / 64 Def
Intimidate
- Power Up Punch
- Crunch
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge / Ice Punch / Zen Headbutt

So, Scrafty with a Defence nature, and intimidate gives it great Physical Defence, Assault vest boosts its already good Sp Def, and Power Up Punch boosts Drain punch allowing it to regain health when needed, while Crunch and the last move are for coverage. Basically, Scrafty's movepool and ability allow it to cover the weaknesses of Assult Vest.
Shed Skin can also be use if there is no Heal Bell Support on the team, as this set is pretty much ruined by Toxic or Faries. But otherwise I think its pretty good.

I imagine calm Sylveon with moon blast, shadow ball, etc with this item will be an amazing spdef wall... Get light screen on another pokemon and sorted.

Limited to dialga/ho oh and maybe ogre. Yveltal absolutely needs sub, mewtwo getting more SpD is just begging to get fucked. Dialga is already amazing and can function as a better wall alongside it's already incredible coverage. Ho oh wrecks shit and walls xerneas with assault best. Ogre I'm undecided towards thanks to the weather nerf.
You can't use Sub with Assault Vest. Besides, Yveltal has an advantage of simultaneouly dealing damage AND healing itself via Oblivion Wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)