Pokémon Klefki

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are my proved or estimated checks for this klefki move set:

thunder wave
Swagger
substitute
foul play/(insert fairy move)

Solid electric types (with ground or fire move if possible)
I use jolteon for its speed but electrics are good cause the dont palyze now.

Ground types holding persim or lum berries is useful here, but are best kept as just in case pokemon alternatively Rest sleep talk works too.

Own tempo prevents confusion
Limber prevents parlalysis

Magic Bounce (need I tell you why? Espeon is probably better cause of no fairy weakness)

rh
anything with limber

Focus sash any good on this guy?
If you put him up against a poke who you KNOW doesn't have higher priority than prankster, you get 2 turns guaranteed status/non-damage moves.

Unless hail is up. Or you're in a double battle. You get the idea.

Last edited:

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Ok so Klefki is a very interesting Pokemon because, despite having the new typing, it faces pretty clear competition with Mawile, who shares the same typing but also a mega evolution. This is, I feel, what will put Klefki into probably RU or even NU over time, especially when people begin to realize that actually Klefki's not all that great offensively. Honestly Klefki reminds me of Qwilfish as well. Her stats aren't all that great but her typing and movepool set her aside from everything else. The way that the metagame is right now it seems like Fire and Ground type attacks are everywhere (I decided to open my main team up to check and I have a Mawile using Fire Fang, an Aerodactyl using Earthquake a Torkoal using Fire Blast and a Talonflame using Flare Blitz, actually that is kinda redundant I should sort that out but you see my point). Furthermore, Klefki's main niche is a Spikes setter right? Well, Klefki's not gonna be able to set that many Spikes in the OU and UU environments. Why? The typing screws it up defensively. Offensively it doesn't get the movepool it needs (it gets Flash Cannon but not Moonblast, leaving it with the lesser 80 BP Dazzling Gleam) which means that neither of it's STAB attacks really have the power that it needs. It's unfortunate, yes, but Klefki doesn't really have the makings of a Pokemon suitable for high-tier environments, however I'm sure that once the 6th gen NU metagame gets set up and Klefki drops down there they'll like a new spiker, since that's all it's headed to in my opinion.

I'm about to test the suicide lead set, it looks like it definitely has potential, though it's really vulnerable to spinners and the whole concept of hazard leads might not really work anymore with the new defog mechanics.

Another set I think could work is defensive, it's typing is beautiful and it can do work by checking choiced attackers early game with its useful set of resistances while setting spikes, stopping setup and being generally annoying with thunder wave, and then serving as death fodder later on. pretty cool imo

On another note, torment klefki seems like it would stall like no other, especially by throwing off random draining kisses to recover health.

Hey there, don't know if that could interest someone but here is a video of how a lucky klefky can wreak havoc nearly an entire team :

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-58732999

Btw, I'm just testing out stuff and I must admit that klefky is really fun, but a bit too luck based for my playstyle ;)
I find it amusing that a mediocre strategy in NU is still usable in OU. Still, I probably could never run something like that out of consideration for my opponent. Either it's an easy kill for them (likely) or I piss them off. Either way, it's not something I want in my ladder matches.

I find it amusing that a mediocre strategy in NU is still usable in OU. Still, I probably could never run something like that out of consideration for my opponent. Either it's an easy kill for them (likely) or I piss them off. Either way, it's not something I want in my ladder matches.
The strategy isn't dependent on tier, it's dependent on luck.
It works in Ubers just the same.

Anyone think that Klefki would be good as a "surprise" weather starter?
Most weather starters are obvious from team select, so maybe you could just toss a Klefki out with Sunny Day/Rain Dance whatever.

I've had a bunch of success with this set.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect

Priority Reflect to throw up an instant shield to protect against physical so I can more safely switch in threats like Garchomp or Greninja, priority Thunder Wave to cripple most sweepers, Spikes to give it something to do when it gets a chance, and Foul Play is actually just an amazing attack if you have Reflect up or you manage to predict a Swords Dance.

I've had a bunch of success with this set.

Klefki @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect

Priority Reflect to throw up an instant shield to protect against physical so I can more safely switch in threats like Garchomp or Greninja, priority Thunder Wave to cripple most sweepers, Spikes to give it something to do when it gets a chance, and Foul Play is actually just an amazing attack if you have Reflect up or you manage to predict a Swords Dance.
I saw this on Wi-Fi, and it messed me up big time! Only difference is, they had Swagger in place of Spikes. It made Foul Play stronger, and Azumarill did so much damage to herself in confusion.

I've been using, with amazing success, this set:

Klefki @ Light Clay
EVs: EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def. / 190 Sp. Def.
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave

Prioriry screens means that, against any attack, Klefki will have the equivalent of a fully EV-invested, positive-natured base 185 base defense. That pretty much ensures I can put both screens up always, often multiple times per match, and paralyzing with priority any menace that is not ground or electric. Foul play means that, unlike your name is Lucario or Tyranitar, opponents are pretty much welcomed to set up on the physical side, as they will promptly be hit with a 95 base attack with boosted offenses.

To emphasize how well this thing takes hits, lets take a look at this calculation:

Timid, 252 Sp. Attack Mega Charizard Y under the sun:

252 SpA (custom) Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 190 SpD (custom) through Light Screen in sun: 288-339 (84.45 - 99.41%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

IT SURVIVES. And doing so, Klefki can put a second screen, or throw a Thunder Wave for good measure before falling like a champ. This is assuming a worst-case scenario, as Klefki still doesn't have any business staying on Mega Char Y, of course.

The amazing support it povides, plus its stunning survivability and the fact that it isn't as taunt-bait as other support pokémon, makes it a total star.

Timid, 252 Sp. Attack Mega Charizard Y under the sun:

252 SpA (custom) Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 190 SpD (custom) through Light Screen in sun: 288-339 (84.45 - 99.41%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

IT SURVIVES. And doing so, Klefki can put a second screen, or throw a Thunder Wave for good measure before falling like a champ. This is assuming a worst-case scenario, as Klefki still doesn't have any business staying on Mega Char Y, of course.
Regardless of Defog, it isn't safe to assume rocks are guaranteed to not be up on your side.

Regardless of Defog, it isn't safe to assume rocks are guaranteed to not be up on your side.
That example is a stress test, not a realistic situation. When we say "Assault Vest Goodra can survive a Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor" we are only giving an extreme example to show how resilent is, not proposing that Goodra should stay in such situation. Theoretical measurements of defensive prowess don't need the assumptions of SR or not, since in a real match one would have to be very desperate or be very fool to stay on a Mega charizard Y, SR up or not.

If you actually want to use Klefki to do some damage, I'd rather use Play Rough over Dazzling Gleam. Yeah, the decrease in accuracy sucks, but it's worth hitting from the physical end considering how many things weak to Fairy have better special than physical defense (Tyranitar under sand, Latis, Dragonite, not Conkeldurr Fighting types). If you predict incorrectly, you can still threaten the opponent with the chance to decrease Attack so you can potentially get away scot-free. Draining Kiss is maybe ok for sustain but I'm not sure if it does enough damage to make it worth it.
I'm using one in-game for doubles as a weather starter. Definitely use Rough Play in singles. The secondary effect is very nice and can happen more than you think. Although I switched mine to a Special Klefki for doubles since Gleam is a move that hits all enemy Pokemon on the field. The AoE damage will make up for its mediocre damage stats.

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
I'm going to be SO annoying with this thing. Liepard 2.0
Klefki @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
IVs: 0 Atk
Calm Nature
- Swagger
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play
This set is extremely annoying to face. Take Liepard and trade STAB on Foul Play, horrid bulk and bad defensive type for acceptable bulk and the best defensive type in the game.
I have an awful feeling it's going to be pretty common as well.
By the way, it's better to run some speed EVs for Klefki vs Klefki scenarios.

Its a legit well thought out setup. Why wouldn't it be promoted? This more than makes up for its mediocre stats.
And we all love getting our entire team swept due to hax. Imo just use a set that isn't entirely luck dependent. Do YOU want this thing running all over the ladder?

Edit: If you are actually using that set you are also taking away it's main draw named Prankster Spikes.

And we all love getting our entire team swept due to hax. Imo just use a set that isn't entirely luck dependent. Do YOU want this thing running all over the ladder?
There's only one answer to this and it's

Prankster Whimsicott

Edit: Lead Mamoswine seems also pretty decent against it. It can't be paralyzed due to part ground type, has STAB Earthquake to hit back and can't be taunted due to Oblivious.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Theoretically, Klefki could actually make better use of SwagPlay than Liepard, given its Toxic Spikes immunity, better defensive typing that shields it from sound-based moves which bypasses Substitute (most notably Bug Buzz), and not complete shit bulk.

On the other hand, it is a pretty big invite for Ground-types to come in and f**k its shit up since they are immune to T-Wave, don't take too much from unSTABed Foul Play, and destroy with Earthquake (Electric-types also make decent responses). If you really want an anti-SwagKey Pokemon, try Infiltrator Chandelure to burn it to a crisp even behind its Sub.

18:22 Celever !learn whimsicott, foul play
18:22 TIBot Whimsicott can't learn Foul Play.
He meant using Prankster Whimsi to combat Prankster Key, which it can do with Taunt and / or Encore. That said, if Klefki is already behind a Sub, Whimsi can't do much back XD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)