Move Trick Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I go about building a trick room team? Suggested Pokemon for one?
I have a feeling Abomasnow and Clawitzer would be OP once I get trick room set up.
The general theory is to have 3-4 pokemon who can set it up, 2-4 hard hitting sweepers who can take advantage of suddenly being faster than everything, and maybe a pokemon with priority/choice scarf for when there is no Trick room up. The sweepers can also set up TR as well. Configorous and Slowking are good examples, as both are bulky enough to set up TR AND Nasty plot at the same time.

In gen 5 I used Fear Smeagle as my lead, and he regularly set up trick room and fainted 1-2 pokemon while sporing another. There is nothing as funny as watching a lvl 1 smeagle take out 4 pokemon in a row with a spore/endeavour and dragon rage combo. Of course they were noobs, but still...

Mega Ampharos is a pretty underrated trick room abuser. Great SpA and bulk, and even gets reduced speed when it mega evolves (55 down to 45 IIRC).

Xatu is the most forgotten Trick Room Deliverer (Magic Bounce).

Also the spotlight should be brought over to Dusknoir in casting Trick Room. Fuck Eviolite on Dusclops. Leftover and Pain Split allow him far better survivability.

Also the spotlight should be brought over to Dusknoir in casting Trick Room. Fuck Eviolite on Dusclops. Leftover and Pain Split allow him far better survivability.
The spotlight should be taken entirely off of the Dusc line, because they're all rubbish. Jellicent is a better ghost in almost any situation, unless you somehow stack an electric or grass weakness.

Speaking of Mega Pokemon, Banette gets Trick Room. Mega Banette has Prankster...so...Trick Room Banette anyone?

Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Insomnia (Prankster)
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Attack | IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Will-O-Wisp/Toxic/Taunt
- Return/Taunt
- Shadow Claw/Knock Off

Given that there are many other Pokemon to set up Trick Room around and there are other Mega Evolutions that can benefit from Trick Room, it might be hard to give up the Mega slot to Banette, but it does have its own advantages. Once you bring it in safely and get it Mega Evolved, preferably against an immunity or a sleep move (The defense investment still doesn't take Banette very far until the Mega stat boost), the +1 Priority support moves are immensely useful. Trick room would only be upgraded to -6 (I guess it'll go faster than opponent's Trick Room?), but Banette has access to Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, and Taunt also. What ones you choose (other than the obvious Trick Room) depend on what kind of support you want the rest of your team. Will-O-Wisp goes great with Mega Banette's decent defense stat, but you could also use Toxic as an alternative status inducing move. Taunt is an amazing move to have Prankster Priority on, so it should also be considered, as it could be used against opposing set-up sweepers attempting to take advantage of your set-up time and/or taunters trying to ruin your own Trick Room fun.

You could put in Taunt instead of Return if you don't care to have that second attacking move. Even with a Mega Evolution that boosts its Attack stat, Banette's physical movepool is so sad that it hurts, but the potential as a Trick Room supporter is uncanny. Nonetheless, that base 165 Attack (coming out to about 403 with just one EV of investment at level 100) is nothing to sniff at. As such, Shadow Claw will at least take advantage of that and give Banette a way to hit fast and hard under a Trick Room. Alternatively, in the spirit of support, Knock Off could be used to remove the opponent's items. The boost to 65 BP is a welcome upgrade to Knock Off.

I don't take total credit for this moveset. A friend of mine gave me the idea for Trick Room Mega Banette and I ran with it. I may try it out if I ever give a Trick Room team a shot.

Last edited:

I just find him too squishy.

Sorry to say, Prankster really doesn't do anything for Trick Room.
You sure about that? According to Bulbapedia's description of the move, "Individual brackets are still maintained; moves in higher priority brackets still work before moves in lower ones regardless of Trick Room."

Also, you need to use the edit button if you have more to say. Multi-posting is frowned upon here.

Edit: I did look into it more and realized Trick Room has -7 Priority. So that's what you meant. BUT the other support moves still have priority even in Trick Room if the way Trick Room works hasn't changed between generations. I'll edit my post to reflect this. And break the news to my buddy.

You sure about that? According to Bulbapedia's description of the move, "Individual brackets are still maintained; moves in higher priority brackets still work before moves in lower ones regardless of Trick Room."

Also, you need to use the edit button if you have more to say. Multi-posting is frowned upon here.

Edit: I did look into it more and realized Trick Room has -7 Priority. So that's what you meant. BUT the other support moves still have priority even in Trick Room if the way Trick Room works hasn't changed between generations. I'll edit my post to reflect this. And break the news to my buddy.
lol indeed, used to most forums having an auto merge, will have to find a feedback thread to suggest that.

Higher priority moves will always go before lower priority moves. This is why Trick Room users must be wary of moves such as Bullet Punch. This is why I run Scizor on most of my TR teams. His priority is useful whether TR is up or not. Another note about priority and how it relates to TR is that phasing moves like Roar out prioritizes TR. I'm sad to see that Game Freak hasn't given any love to TR in the last 2 gens such as an item that increases duration. I feel like they are afraid it might become broken if it receives a buff.

Of the new Trick Room setters we got, I think Trevenant and Gourgeist are the ones with the most potential. Trevenant's less bulky than Gourgeist and its attack is only 10 points higher, but it gets much better coverage with its attacks. Gourgeist, on the other hand, and gets Pain Split, Explosion, and has the bulk to make use of a solid support movepool. I've been using Trevenant on Free Random WiFi, and it's been working pretty well. I still think 3v3 Singles play is where Trick Room really shines.

Of the new Trick Room setters we got, I think Trevenant and Gourgeist are the ones with the most potential. Trevenant's less bulky than Gourgeist and its attack is only 10 points higher, but it gets much better coverage with its attacks. Gourgeist, on the other hand, and gets Pain Split, Explosion, and has the bulk to make use of a solid support movepool. I've been using Trevenant on Free Random WiFi, and it's been working pretty well. I still think 3v3 Singles play is where Trick Room really shines.
I think I like the idea of using Gourgeist or Trevenant as a superior ghost type supporter in Trick Room to Banette. Then the Mega slot could be given to Mawile or Ampharos, who utilize the environment more effectively. I am especially fond of Mawile because it has a greater attacking stat than most Choice Banded pokemon with Huge Power in effect, without the lockdown. The low speed and massive attack just scream "give me trick room".

Do people only play with Smogon rules? The VGC version in game you only use 3 Pokemon so the 5 turns isn't nearly as much of a hindrance.

I'm trying to run a trick room team and the biggest problem for me is getting my Slow sweepers safely into the battlefield while trick room is active. I am using a gourgeist with a normal gem who trick room + explodes but that is so gimmicky and unreliable with the mass amount of popular steels and gengar. I've tried Slowbro/king but he seems better suited to do the sweeping himself. It's just tough to switch to your sweeper and absorb an attack and survive long enough to counter, IMO anyways.

I was thinking of using Xatu to Trick Room and then U-turn, but can Xatu really survive two rounds to do this?

I'm trying to run a trick room team and the biggest problem for me is getting my Slow sweepers safely into the battlefield while trick room is active. I am using a gourgeist with a normal gem who trick room + explodes but that is so gimmicky and unreliable with the mass amount of popular steels and gengar. I've tried Slowbro/king but he seems better suited to do the sweeping himself. It's just tough to switch to your sweeper and absorb an attack and survive long enough to counter, IMO anyways.

I was thinking of using Xatu to Trick Room and then U-turn, but can Xatu really survive two rounds to do this?
I used a lead with explosion when I used to use TR. The main point is that they are out of the way so you can send your sweeper in. If it happens to also do damage to the opponent that is just icing on the cake. Then I typically used two other TR setters. I would recommend Reuniclus, since he can also funtion as a sweeper himself. As for Xatu, you might be able to. You have to factor in that TR would be in effect on that second turn.

I used a lead with explosion when I used to use TR. The main point is that they are out of the way so you can send your sweeper in. If it happens to also do damage to the opponent that is just icing on the cake. Then I typically used two other TR setters. I would recommend Reuniclus, since he can also funtion as a sweeper himself. As for Xatu, you might be able to. You have to factor in that TR would be in effect on that second turn.
Any other recommendations for trick room setters who don't actually sweep themselves besides explosion users?

Any other recommendations for trick room setters who don't actually sweep themselves besides explosion users?
I would only use an Explosion TR user as a lead. For a user that is good TR setter that doesn't sweep, Porygon2, Slowbro, and perhaps Dusklops would be your best bets.

Uxie and Mesprit can both set up TR and then U-Turn out. Uxie's a a good choice for your needs, because his base Speed is 95. With some investment, you can make sure he takes the hit and then U-Turns out, so your sweeper gets in clean.

Uxie and Mesprit can both set up TR and then U-Turn out. Uxie's a a good choice for your needs, because his base Speed is 95. With some investment, you can make sure he takes the hit and then U-Turns out, so your sweeper gets in clean.
With TR being -7 priority and Uxia and Mesprit having 95 base speed, they would most likely need to tank two hits before switching out. You can't rely on this being the case. You can rely on that. They could take a super-effective attack and go down without even being able to set up TR. Even if they survive, their base speed is too high to abuse TR effectively. When push comes to shove, you may need your TR setter to use TR for their advantage and stay in and fight. If you switch out each and every time you set up, your opponent my get wise and set up.

Yes, Wonder room is 0 priority. Trick room is still -7.
Ahh, i got greninjad!
Ooops. Sorry to spoil your first post for you. Anyways, welcome to Smogon. I would have to say that being -7 isn't the worst thing going for TR. As an experienced TR user, I must say that the biggest thorn in my side is the lack of an item that extends duration. Us TR users just have to carry this burden Game Freak has placed on us and power through. With intelligent play, TR is still perfectly usable in this gen. Just the thought of an enemy accidentally wasting a turn setting up sticky web makes me smile.

Yeah I definitely agree!
On my trick room team I'm using a quiet 0 iv speed chandelure, because he does two roles in one.

First, he is another trick room user, who has a nice ability-- flash fire definitely helps when someone try's to flamethrower my escaviler.

Second, he fills the Pokemon that functions outside of trick room role.

Yeah I definitely agree!
On my trick room team I'm using a quiet 0 iv speed chandelure, because he does two roles in one.

First, he is another trick room user, who has a nice ability-- flash fire definitely helps when someone try's to flamethrower my escaviler.

Second, he fills the Pokemon that functions outside of trick room role.
That is a very good start. Too often, people see TR setters as only TR setters and sweepers as only sweepers. Our Pokémon should be able to handle multiple different roles. For example, back in 4th gen I used a Dusknoir as a TR setter. It also served as an effective counter to Gyrados, switching in on a DD, setting up TR, and KO'ing with Thunder punch. It could also use Will-o-wisp to cripple other threats and work as an effective spin blocker if needed. It is because of all of these qualities that I considered Dusk a good TR setter (at the time at least). TR users need to think out of the box in order to make the most out of it. One idea might be to change out Escavalier for a brave Scizor. It is capable of abusing TR or holding its own outside of it. You have to be prepared for the worst after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)