Pokémon Goodra [REVAMP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried a set with acid armor? I can see a utility set with max hp/def and acid armor on it for insane bulk. Not sure what I would run on the as the other three moves though. Probably something like thunder wave+dragon tail.

I've been thinking of an Acid Armor/Curse set with either Infestation or Toxic, but I doubt its viability.

Goodra@Leftovers
Impish Nature
Gooey
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

- Acid Armor/Curse
- Infestation/Toxic
- Dragon Tail
- Rest

The entire is to come in on a special attacker that can't hurt it due to its natural special bulk and then get an Acid Armor so that physical threats can't touch it either. Infestation can be used to trap harmless Pokes to grab more Acid Armors or Curses and even to get a safe opportunity to Rest. Dragon Tail is to phaze out setup sweepers. This is a pretty situational set, however.

This isn't my set, this set is made by TheFlamingSpade (Channel Here)
Goodra w/ Leftovers and Sap Sipper
Stat Spreads: 252HP/+252SpD/4Def or 252Hp/+252Def/4SpD
Infestation/Toxic/Protect/Dragon Pulse
Two of the three weaknesses of dragon are special mostly (fairy and ice) and dragon can be both. Keep that in mind, but even without any investment Goodra still has ridiculous special defense.
The set is simple to understand really, infestation something that can't obliterate you (I'm looking at Dragonite) or hit a switch in. If you infestation something you can't touch, most of the time you should protect to scout. (Especially if it is scarfed) If you feel safe staying in, toxic it then wear it down with dragon pulse. Here is an example of how I used one.
WW3 is a forretress and Good Game is Goodra and I'm dIG dUG dUGTRIO

Turn 1
The opposing Smeargle used Sticky Web!
A sticky web spreads out beneath your team's feet!
Good Game used Dragon Pulse!
The opposing Smeargle lost 63% of its health!
Turn 2
The opposing Smeargle used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around your team!
The opposing Smeargle lost 37% of its health!
The opposing Smeargle fainted!
purplestackz sent out Jirachi!
Turn 3
Good Game, come back!
Go! WW3 (Forretress)!
Pointed stones dug into WW3!
WW3's Speed fell!
The opposing Jirachi used Ice Punch!
It's not very effective... WW3 lost 6% of its health!
WW3 restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 4
purplestackz withdrew Jirachi!
purplestackz sent out Chandelure!
WW3 used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around the opposing team!
Turn 5
The opposing Chandelure used Substitute!
The opposing Chandelure put in a substitute!
The opposing Chandelure lost 24% of its health!
WW3 used Volt Switch!
The substitute took damage for the opposing Chandelure!
WW3 went back to dIG dUG dUGTRIO!
Go! Good Game (Goodra)!
Pointed stones dug into Good Game!
Good Game's Speed fell!
The opposing Chandelure restored HP using its Leftovers!
Good Game restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 6
The opposing Chandelure used Shadow Ball!
Good Game lost 22% of its health!
The opposing Chandelure's substitute faded!
Turn 7
purplestackz withdrew Chandelure!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Jirachi!
Good Game used Infestation!
The opposing Jirachi lost 5% of its health!
The opposing Jirachi's Infestation activated!
The opposing Jirachi is hurt by Infestation!
Turn 8
Good Game used Protect!
Good Game protected itself!
The opposing Jirachi used Fire Punch!
Turn 9
It's not very effective... Good Game lost 14.0% of its health!
It's not very effective... The opposing Jirachi lost 15% of its health!
Turn 10
Good Game used Protect!
Turn 11
It's not very effective... Good Game lost 13% of its health!
Good Game was burned!
It's not very effective... The opposing Jirachi lost 17% of its health!
Good Game was hurt by its burn!
The opposing Jirachi fainted!

Good Partners: Trappers, physical walls. (It fits well onto almost any team)

Sorry for the long post, :)

Very interesting. I might just try that myself.

Isn't Infestation and Toxic possibly redundant though for residual damage? I'm thinking Rest could be more useful in the case that Goodra traps a Poke that can't touch it since it's desperate for recovery.

The only way I could see getting Recover onto Goodra would be to breed with a Milotic. Unfortunately that can't be done in game yet. :/
Pokebank's less than a month away. On a similar note, I've heard some rumors that it gets synthesis or giga drain from Sceptile, but they're not overly reliable sources, so we'll just have to wait and see

I've been thinking of an Acid Armor/Curse set with either Infestation or Toxic, but I doubt its viability.

Goodra@Leftovers
Impish Nature
Gooey
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

- Acid Armor/Curse
- Infestation/Toxic
- Dragon Tail
- Rest

The entire is to come in on a special attacker that can't hurt it due to its natural special bulk and then get an Acid Armor so that physical threats can't touch it either. Infestation can be used to trap harmless Pokes to grab more Acid Armors or Curses and even to get a safe opportunity to Rest. Dragon Tail is to phaze out setup sweepers. This is a pretty situational set, however.
Infestation and Dragon Tail contradict each others purpose. You're better off Sleep Talking so you don't get negative priority with Dragon Tail, in which case you'll want Curse to make those hits worthwhile. I posted a set similar a page back but with Rocky Helmet instead of Leftovers. Being punished by physical moves and not being able to status you really puts the enemy in a bind, as they can't set up on you with Dragon Tail and if they want to phaze you out, they'd have to be faster than Goodra, and it'd have to be when you aren't asleep. This is obviously best done with some rocks and spikes. Ferrothorn is a natural partner, able to take Fairy and Dragon moves and set up the hazards you need, as well as spread paralysis for you.

Very interesting. I might just try that myself.

Isn't Infestation and Toxic possibly redundant though for residual damage? I'm thinking Rest could be more useful in the case that Goodra traps a Poke that can't touch it since it's desperate for recovery.

Infestation traps the pokemon so a perish song user can switch in and have a very high chance for a ko. (Minimum infestation turns) It is similar to perish trap mega gengar. Infestation allows it to hit steel and poison types for some nice residual damage. If it gets leech seed or synthesis from Sceptile or recover from Milotic it should be used to replace toxic. Trapping and the fact it hits everything for damage without magic guard makes it SERPERIOR. Haha.. ohh.. =I

I am trying to build Goodra into my team.
I want to get Goodra together with Ferrothorn in my team.

Goodra @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper/Gooey
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 6 SDef
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunder/Thunderbolt
- Fireblast
- Rain Dance

I know that my Goodra doesn't have Hydration or any Water moves, but i mainly want the Rain Dance for Thunder and to reduce Fire Damage by 50% for my Ferrothorn, since it hits him with x4. The Fireblast can kill Grass, Steel and Bug types very good because of the 252 SAtk. Dragonpulse is very strong on Goodra, since it provides from it's STAB.
I can vary if i use Rain Dance to protect my Ferrothorn, Thunder Accuracy or a stronger Hydropump with my Greninja OR i won't use Rain Dance if i need to kill a Sweeper/Staller with Fireblast and need the full damage instead of the 50% Fire Reduction.

What do you think about this? Any improvements or tips?

Last edited:
This isn't my set, this set is made by TheFlamingSpade (Channel Here)
Goodra w/ Leftovers and Sap Sipper
Stat Spreads: 252HP/+252SpD/4Def or 252Hp/+252Def/4SpD
Infestation/Toxic/Protect/Dragon Pulse
Two of the three weaknesses of dragon are special mostly (fairy and ice) and dragon can be both. Keep that in mind, but even without any investment Goodra still has ridiculous special defense.
The set is simple to understand really, infestation something that can't obliterate you (I'm looking at Dragonite) or hit a switch in. If you infestation something you can't touch, most of the time you should protect to scout. (Especially if it is scarfed) If you feel safe staying in, toxic it then wear it down with dragon pulse. Here is an example of how I used one.
WW3 is a forretress and Good Game is Goodra and I'm dIG dUG dUGTRIO

Turn 1
The opposing Smeargle used Sticky Web!
A sticky web spreads out beneath your team's feet!
The opposing Smeargle lost 63% of its health!
Turn 2
The opposing Smeargle used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around your team!
The opposing Smeargle lost 37% of its health!
The opposing Smeargle fainted!
Turn 3
Good Game, come back!
Go! WW3 (Forretress)!
Pointed stones dug into WW3!
WW3's Speed fell!
The opposing Jirachi used Ice Punch!
It's not very effective... WW3 lost 6% of its health!
Turn 4
purplestackz withdrew Jirachi!
purplestackz sent out Chandelure!
WW3 used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around the opposing team!
Turn 5
The opposing Chandelure used Substitute!
The opposing Chandelure put in a substitute!
The opposing Chandelure lost 24% of its health!
WW3 used Volt Switch!
The substitute took damage for the opposing Chandelure!
WW3 went back to dIG dUG dUGTRIO!
Go! Good Game (Goodra)!
Pointed stones dug into Good Game!
Good Game's Speed fell!
Turn 6
The opposing Chandelure used Shadow Ball!
Good Game lost 22% of its health!
The opposing Chandelure's substitute faded!
Turn 7
purplestackz withdrew Chandelure!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Jirachi!
Good Game used Infestation!
The opposing Jirachi lost 5% of its health!
The opposing Jirachi's Infestation activated!
Turn 8
Good Game used Protect!
Turn 9
It's not very effective... Good Game lost 14.0% of its health!
It's not very effective... The opposing Jirachi lost 15% of its health!
Turn 10
Good Game used Protect!
Turn 11
It's not very effective... Good Game lost 13% of its health!
Good Game was burned!
It's not very effective... The opposing Jirachi lost 17% of its health!
Good Game was hurt by its burn!
The opposing Jirachi fainted!

Good Partners: Trappers, physical walls. (It fits well onto almost any team)

Sorry for the long post, :)

Did you factor in Flamethrower? Damage calc shows that Modest 252 S.ATK Flamethrower would have 2HKO Jirachi with 252 HP and 3HKO if it had 252 HP + 252 S.DEF. I used to do the stall set too, but it really is lack luster when you could have KOed the poke you're up against a lot faster. I have run Infestation with 3 attacking moves in an attempt to trap something I could easily take out, but I rarely end up using it because Modest 252 S.Atk Super Effective hits already pretty much 2HKOs everything I would stay in on.

Substitute 3 attack goodra with leftovers and sap sipper is where its at.
252 hp 116 special attack 140 speed Modest nature
Moves: Substitute, Dragon Pulse, Muddy Water, sludge bomb
Easily the best use I have ever gotten out of this thing and a major underrated threat. With the speed investment it outspeeds standard defensive rotom who is straight up setup fodder and speed creeps 16 speed gliscor. (though the former is more important as it literally can't do anything to break goodras subs while sludge bomb will eventually poison and help take it down). Muddy water is there to take on heatran and while sludge bomb is for the fairies. (azumarill gets 2hkoed easily with the given evs and nature although dedicated specially bulky fairieslike florges and sylveon still eat it up) This is, in my opinion, probably the best way to make use of both its titanic special bulk and its good offensive capabilities. It does have a case of the 4mss, but the given set is what I believe hits the most threats that can't be dealt with easily regardless. Shame that it cant get the more accurate surf though. :( Magnezone support helps take care of the few common things that wall it or check it. (ferrothorn say hi to hp fire which still is an ohko with specs even after the nerf) Sap sipper allows for more switch-ins against stuff like spore and leech seed and is overall more useful than gooey because the latter doesnt activate behind a sub. Either way this is easily the best use I have ever gotten out of it. You have to keep it away from powerful physical hits, and 4mss is a thing, but with proper team support, this thing can do pretty well.

Substitute 3 attack goodra with leftovers and sap sipper is where its at.
252 hp 116 special attack 140 speed Modest nature
Moves: Substitute, Dragon Pulse, Muddy Water, sludge bomb
Easily the best use I have ever gotten out of this thing and a major underrated threat. With the speed investment it outspeeds standard defensive rotom who is straight up setup fodder and speed creeps 16 speed gliscor. (though the former is more important as it literally can't do anything to break goodras subs while sludge bomb will eventually poison and help take it down). Muddy water is there to take on heatran and while sludge bomb is for the fairies. (azumarill gets 2hkoed easily with the given evs and nature although dedicated specially bulky fairieslike florges and sylveon still eat it up) This is, in my opinion, probably the best way to make use of both its titanic special bulk and its good offensive capabilities. It does have a case of the 4mss, but the given set is what I believe hits the most threats that can't be dealt with easily regardless. Shame that it cant get the more accurate surf though. :( Magnezone support helps take care of the few common things that wall it or check it. (ferrothorn say hi to hp fire which still is an ohko with specs even after the nerf) Sap sipper allows for more switch-ins against stuff like spore and leech seed and is overall more useful than gooey because the latter doesnt activate behind a sub. Either way this is easily the best use I have ever gotten out of it. You have to keep it away from powerful physical hits, and 4mss is a thing, but with proper team support, this thing can do pretty well.
So you're abandoning the great ability that scares off most physical attacks for an immunity, and you don't even use the attack boost Sap Sipper gives you? Don't get me wrong, Sap Sipper sets are great, but not using an atk boost when you get it seems like a waste to me

So you're abandoning the great ability that scares off most physical attacks for an immunity, and you don't even use the attack boost Sap Sipper gives you? Don't get me wrong, Sap Sipper sets are great, but not using an atk boost when you get it seems like a waste to me

Gooey is pretty useless. Sure, you have lower speed after you kill Goodra with a physical move, so your opponent can bring in his check to your poke afterwards and force you out. Oh wait, your opponent would do that anyway so Gooey is totally irrelevant. Sap Sipper lets Goodra take on Ferrothorn much better, being able to switch in on Leech Seed for free and threatening with the Fire Blast. And immunities are just nice to have, Gooey is gimmicky at best and not very useful whatsoever on a poke with bad physical defense and great SpDef.

Gooey is pretty useless. Sure, you have lower speed after you kill Goodra with a physical move, so your opponent can bring in his check to your poke afterwards and force you out. Oh wait, your opponent would do that anyway so Gooey is totally irrelevant. Sap Sipper lets Goodra take on Ferrothorn much better, being able to switch in on Leech Seed for free and threatening with the Fire Blast. And immunities are just nice to have, Gooey is gimmicky at best and not very useful whatsoever on a poke with bad physical defense and great SpDef.
Gooey is the wall that prevents other dragons from OHKOing goodra with dragon claw without a second thought. Its not the actual effect that makes it so valuable, its the fear of the effect. Like how you can't use some steel types until you eliminate Magnezone or have no other option, and if you don't get that, then you don't understand how big mind games are in this game.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to start an argument, I was just wondering why you didn't utilize the atk boost with a move like aqua tail.

Gooey is the wall that prevents other dragons from OHKOing goodra with dragon claw without a second thought. Its not the actual effect that makes it so valuable, its the fear of the effect. Like how you can't use some steel types until you eliminate Magnezone or have no other option, and if you don't get that, then you don't understand how big mind games are in this game.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to start an argument, I was just wondering why you didn't utilize the atk boost with a move like aqua tail.

Yeah because Aqua Tail definitely hits pokes like Gliscor, Landorus-T and Hippowdon much harder than Muddy Water (sarcasm). I don't need a lecture on competitive pokemon. Gooey is garbage. Your example just proves my point. Even if your speed drops, you still killed Goodra in one shot for free. Your opponent will bring in his check to your Dragon afterwards regardless of whether your speed is lowered, so Gooey has no use whatsoever. It's not even close as useful as Magnet Pull, please. It's not even useful, it's useless.

Yeah because Aqua Tail definitely hits pokes like Gliscor, Landorus-T and Hippowdon much harder than Muddy Water (sarcasm). I don't need a lecture on competitive pokemon. Gooey is garbage. Your example just proves my point. Even if your speed drops, you still killed Goodra in one shot for free. Your opponent will bring in his check to your Dragon afterwards regardless of whether your speed is lowered, so Gooey has no use whatsoever. It's not even close as useful as Magnet Pull, please. It's not even useful, it's useless.
1. why would you fight anything with EQ with a goodra,
2 choosing physically defensive pokes for your argument? yeah, real fair the main reason somebody would send in a poke who's main offense is EQ is to get around gooey
3 aqua tail was just something I threw in, its got other physical moves. I was asking why you don't use any of them
Its not the actual effect that makes it so valuable, its the fear of the effect.
. People will opt not to use their big check because they don't want to hinder it for the rest of the fight, and use a 2HKO or even a 3HKO instead. That gives Goodra at least one more chance to do something before it goes, and you can sometimes make it worth it. That's gone as soon as you switch in for the sap sipper boost that you don't even use. If they don't carry any grass type moves (which is entirely possible), then they could not know and still behave out of fear of the ability, but then you're benefiting from the ability without actually using it. Worthless my donkey, you're just not creative enough. A huge reason Goodra is viable is that people don't want to attack it specially because of its epic SpD, and they don't want to attack it physically because of Gooey. Even if you don't use gooey, you still owe a lot to it. People hesitate to use contact moves on pokes with static and flame body, and those were luck based, gooey has a 100% chance of effecting things, so saying it won't have any effect on the fight is very shortsighted.

Since this whole conversation is giving me a head ache, please just answer my question. Why don't you have a single physical attack when you can get attack boosts for free?

Last edited:
Yeah because Aqua Tail definitely hits pokes like Gliscor, Landorus-T and Hippowdon much harder than Muddy Water (sarcasm).

Just saying: Goodra learns Ice Beam. That's much better for hitting Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Hippowdon.

That aside: why are you using Goodra to take them on, anyways? Goodra does not like Physically-oriented Pokemon he cannot outspeed and OHKO. In addition to that, Goodra is much better suited towards taking out Pokemon like Greninja, Gengar, Volcarona (if running Hidden Power Rock), Heatran (if running Hidden Power Ground or Earthquake), Mixed Aegislash (to an extent - switch in on the Shadow Ball), Latios, Latias, Sheer Force Landorus-I, and more.

Unlike Pokemon like Mega Aggron, who's Steel-typing gives him a set of mixed resistances and both Physical and Special weaknesses, or Pokemon like Sylveon or Florges, who's resistances are primarily physical but have low Defense to take them with, Goodra's resistances (Fire, Water, Electric, Grass) are all pretty much Specially oriented, and his weaknesses (Dragon, Ice, Fairy), are also primarily specially-based, and he can take them pretty much no problem as long as they're not coming from Azumarill, Mawile, Mamoswine, Garchomp, Salamence, or Kyurem-B. Pokemon like Mega Aggron have every reason to have methods of dealing with Pokemon like Gliscor and Landorus-T, because not only does he attract their Earthquakes, but he has the Defense stat to tank them, AND he learns Ice Punch, so he can take them, fire back, and win. Goodra attracts Earthquake, but in the worst way possible, because he can't win against those Pokemon without forsaking some coverage move to beat them. What are you going to run over Fire Blast / Thunderbolt (or Sludge Bomb) / Draco Meteor / Focus Blast or Hidden Power Ground or Hidden Power Rock? If you drop Fire Blast you lose your ability to lay waste to Ferrothorn. Dropping Thunderbolt/Sludge Bomb means you can't take on Fairy-Types any more, and dropping any of the last three options means you can't reliably beat Heatran or Volcarona. If you run Ice Beam over Draco Meteor, you lost your most spammable, damaging attack, and a way to beat weakened Rotom-W.

Muddy Water is terrible.

I like thunderbolt+fireblast as the two coverage moves of choice.

The only fairies goodra has a chance of beating are azumarill, klefki, and mawile. Azumarill if you can hit it with tbolt on the switch in then outspeed it and KO with another thunderbolt. Klefki because goodra doesn't take terrible damage from swagger and can roast it with fireblast. Also, dragon tail is great for preventing any set up sweeper from boosting under double screens. And mawile if you predict the SD and want to soften it for your check. Goodra has no reason to stay in front of cosmic powah clefable or bulky togekiss (offensive versions are also smacked by tbolt and goodra can tank a dazzling gleam). In short, sludge wave is redundant coverage.

Gooey has saved me a few times by foddering goodra (particularly to azu)...obviously I wont waste a healthy goodra, but if you slow it, and they don't switch it out you're golden. This is especially rewarding when its a belly drum set and the poke you bring in hits them to under 50% and they get no move at all...hilarious.

Thunderbolt gets Togekiss and Azumarill, while Fire Blast gets Mawile, and Klefki. Thunderbolt doesn't take care of Clefable or Sylveon, so I think Sludge Bomb > Thunderbolt. Hidden power Rock gets Volcarona, while Hidden power Ground takes care of Heatran, however Muddy Water and Aqua Tail get them, not totally, most Heatrans are specially defensive, and Volcarona would be spamming Quiver Dance, so Aqua Tail is arguable better. Focus Blast catches a lot of pokemon of guard, but Fire Blast + Aqua Tail gets everything Focus Blast gets, and this is why I think Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse / Fire Blast / Aqua Tail / Sludge Bomb is the best coverage you can cover.

Hydration is Goodra's worst ability, not saying it's bad. Sap Sipper gets a lot of pokemon off guard and gives you immunity to Spore and Powders, but Gooey lets you outspeed some physical sweepers. Out of the two I prefer Sap Sipper.

Hidden power Rock gets Volcarona, while Hidden power Ground takes care of Heatran, however Muddy Water and Aqua Tail get them, not totally, most Heatrans are specially defensive, and Volcarona would be spamming Quiver Dance, so Aqua Tail is arguable better. Focus Blast catches a lot of pokemon of guard, but Fire Blast + Aqua Tail gets everything Focus Blast gets, and this is why I think Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse / Fire Blast / Aqua Tail / Sludge Bomb is the best coverage you can cover.

+0 0 ATK (Quiet) Goodra [Aqua Tail] vs. 0 HP / 0 DEF Neutral Nature Heatran: 38.2% - 45.2%; 3HKO
+0 0 ATK (Quiet) Goodra [Aqua Tail] vs. 248 HP / 0 DEF Neutral Nature Heatran: 32.2% - 37.9%; 92.6% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery.
+0 0 ATK (Quiet) Goodra [Aqua Tail] vs. 0 HP / 0 DEF Neutral Nature Volcarona: 59.1% - 70%; Guaranteed 2HKO - OHKO after Stealth Rock.
+0 0 ATK (Quiet) Goodra [Aqua Tail] vs. 248 HP / 252 DEF Neutral Nature Volcarona: 35.9 - 42.3%; Guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers.

+0 252 SATK (Modest) Goodra [Hidden Power Ground] vs. 248 HP / 252 SDEF (Calm) Heatran: 46.7 - 55%; 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery.
+0 252 SATK (Modest) Goodra [Hidden Power Rock] vs. +0 248 HP / 0 SDEF (Timid) Volcarona: 60 - 71.8%; Guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock.
+0 252 SATK (Modest) Goodra [Hidden Power Rock] vs. +1 248 HP / 0 SDEF (Timid) Volcarona: 40.7 - 48.2%; Guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers.

You can't beat them both - don't try. Goodra, like Mega Aggron, is not a one-stop-shop for every single threat. He can, however, be tailored to beat anyone you want. Just make sure the rest of your team can compensate for that.

Aqua Tail or Earthquake depending on your team's needs, Aqua Tail gets Volcarona like you showed, but won't get Heatran unless 3 turns, however Earthquake gets Heatran, even though it wouldn't take out Volcarona anytime soon. So EQ or Aqua Tail depending on your team's needs. So I agree with your last statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back