Solrock (QC 2/3)

Progress said:
[Overview]

<p>Solrock is cursed with many flaws in NU that prevent it from shining in the limelight of NU. It has mediocre base stats, preventing it from fulfilling either an offensive or defensive role successfully. Despite Solrock's unique typing giving it important resistances, it also curses it with weaknesses to common attacking types, including Water-, Bug-, and Grass-type moves. Solrock is also outclassed by Rock-types such as Golem and Regirock, which are both able to preform much better than Solrock can on many teams.</p>

<p>Despite these crippling flaws, Solrock has several traits that make it somewhat usable in NU.</p>
  • Unique movepool for a Rock-Type, including moves such as Will-O-wisp, Morning Sun, and Light Screen
  • Amazing ability in levitate, allowing it to bypass entry hazards and Ground attacks
  • Unique typing gives it resistances to common attacking types, most notably, Normal, Fire, And Flying
  • Not the best Rock-type, but viable if it fulfills your Team's needs
[SET]
name: Dual Screens
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Reflect
move 3: Light Screen
move 4: Explosion
item: Light Clay
ability: Levitate
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Access to the unique combination of Stealth Rock, dual screens, Explosion and a decent Speed stat make Solrock an above average Dual Screen user
  • Useful on Hyper offensive teams due to the increased number of free setup turns Dual Screens provide
  • Best to use Stealth Rock early-game and use Dual Screens mid to late game, as Solrock loses to common leads and only has time to set up Stealth Rock
  • Once all three Reflect, Light Screen, and Stealth Rock are set up, use Explosion to give a free switch in to a setup sweeper, such as Belly Drum Linoone
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Magic Coat can be used over Stealth Rock to block Taunt
  • Frail setup sweepers such as Zangoose, Pinsir, and Linoone make great partners to abuse the free turns provided by Light Screen and Reflect
  • Slow Volt Switch or U-Turn users such as Eelektross can provide Solrock free switch in opportunities
[SET]
name: Support
move 2: Will-o-Wisp
move 3: Morning Sun
move 4: Rock Slide
item: Leftovers
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Due to Solrocks unique typing and access to both Morning Sun and Will-O-wisp, it can function as a decent support Pokemon in NU
  • Despite the lack of defense investment, Solrock can counter common Normal- and Flying-types with the combination of Will-O-wisp and Levitate, while also functioning as a reliable check to Fire-types
  • Stealth Rock allows Solrock to supports its teammates
  • Morning Sun for recovery
  • Will-O-wisp cripples physical attackers and differentiates Solrock from other Rock-types
  • Rock Slide functions as Solrock's reliable STAB attack, hitting Pokemon such as Charizard and Swellow for super effective damage
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Specially Defensive spread is recommended as it allows Solrock to reliably take any hit from Charizard at full health
  • Physically defensive spread can be used, but this is better done by other Rock-types such as Regirock due to their higher physical defense
  • Baton Pass can be used to allow Solrock to act as a decent pivot and bypass Pursuit, but it is illegal with Moonlight
  • Magic Coat can be used to block Status and entry hazards, but Solrock loses to a large amount of common entry hazard setters
  • Roselia has decent defensive synergy with Solrock while also being able to setup Spikes
[Other Options]
  • Offensive set with moves like Earthquake, Stone Edge and Zen Headbutt, but outclassed by Regirock
  • Full Baton Pass set
  • Other support moves such as Sunny Day, Trick Room, and Gravity, but most are gimmicky options at best
  • Excellent Special movepool, with moves like Psychic, Earth Power and Fire Blast, but horrendous Special Attack stats kills the viability of such a set
[Checks and Counters]
  • Seismitoad
  • Special Attacking Samurott
  • Misdreavus
  • Gurdurr
  • Exeggutor
  • Restalk Klang can use Solrock as setup bait
  • Strong attackers such as Choice Band Sawk can OHKO Solrock assuming it has not used Will-O-wisp or Reflect
  • Taunt completely shuts it down
[Overview]
  • Mediocre stats across the board
  • Outclassed by other Rock-types such as Regirock and Golem
  • Common weaknesses
  • Unique movepool for a Rock-Type, including moves such as Will-O-wisp, Morning Sun, and Light Screen
  • Amazing ability in levitate, allowing it to bypass entry hazards and Ground attacks
  • Unique typing gives it resistances to common attacking types, most notably, Normal, Fire, And Flying
  • Not the best Rock-type, but viable if it fulfills your Team's needs
[SET]
name: Dual Screens
move 2: Reflect
move 3: Light Screen
move 4: Explosion
item: Light Clay
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Access to the unique combination of Stealth Rock, dual screens, Explosion and a decent Speed stat make Solrock an above average Dual Screen user
  • Useful on Hyper offensive teams due to the increased number of free setup turns Dual Screens provide
  • Best to use Stealth Rock early-game and use Dual Screens mid to late game, as Solrock loses to common leads and only has time to set up Stealth Rock
  • Once all three Reflect, Light Screen, and Stealth Rock are set up, use Explosion to give a free switch in to a setup sweeper, such as Belly Drum Linoone
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Magic Coat can be used over Stealth Rock to block Taunt
  • Frail setup sweepers such as Zangoose, Pinsir, and Linoone make great partners to abuse the free turns provided by Light Screen and Reflect
  • Slow Volt Switch or U-Turn users such as Eelektross can provide Solrock free switch in opportunities
[SET]
name: Defensive
move 2: Will-o-wisp
nature: Careful

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Due to Solrocks unique typing and access to both Morning Sun and Will-O-wisp, it can function as a decent defensive Pokemon in NU
  • Despite the lack of defense investment, Solrock can counter common Normal- and Flying-types with the combination of Will-O-wisp and Levitate, while also functioning as a reliable check to Fire-types
  • Stealth Rock allows Solrock to supports its teammates
  • Morning Sun for recovery
  • Will-O-wisp cripples physical attackers and differentiates Solrock from other Rock-types
  • Rock Slide functions as Solrock's reliable STAB attack, hitting Pokemon such as Charizard and Swellow for super effective damage
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Specially Defensive spread is recommended as it allows Solrock to reliably take any hit from Charizard at full health
  • Physically defensive spread can be used, but this is better done by other Rock-types such as Regirock due to their higher physical defense
  • Baton Pass can be used to allow Solrock to act as a decent pivot and bypass Pursuit, but it is illegal with Moonlight
  • Magic Coat can be used to block Status and entry hazards, but Solrock loses to a large amount of common entry hazard setters
  • Roselia has decent defensive synergy with Solrock while also being able to setup Spikes
[Other Options]
  • Offensive set with moves like Earthquake, Stone Edge and Zen Headbutt, but outclassed by Regirock
  • Full Baton Pass set
  • Other support moves such as Sunny Day, Trick Room, and Gravity, but most are gimmicky options at best
  • Excellent Special movepool, with moves like Psychic, Earth Power and Fire Blast, but horrendous Special Attack stats kills the viability of such a set
[Checks and Counters]
  • Seismitoad
  • Special Attacking Samurott
  • Misdreavus
  • Gurdurr
  • Exeggutor
  • Restalk Klang can use Solrock as setup bait
  • Strong attackers such as Choice Band Sawk can OHKO Solrock assuming it has not used Will-O-wisp or Reflect
  • Taunt completely shuts it down

Last edited:

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
what's with all these sets running 248/8 for no reason? you have leftovers so it's not like you're gonna die to repeated sr switch-ins or anything

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
252 SpA Life Orb Charizard Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Solrock: 166-198 (48.25 - 57.55%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Charizard Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Solrock: 163-192 (47.38 - 55.81%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Just pointing this out: most Charizard these days use Choice Specs (well, from my point of view) and running SpD Solrock for the sole purpose to let it take two Focus Blast from LO Zard isn't enough to make Solrock a counter, and to be completly honest Lunatone does the whole taking two hits from Charizard better too.

Just mention that Solrock can reliably take any hit from Charizard at full health.

Also note when you mention Solrock can take on Normal/Flying types that even without Defense investments, it can still reliably check most Normal- and Flying-types thanks to Levitate and Will-o-Wisp.

The set as of now should look like this:

[SET]
name: Specially Defensive
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
nature: Impish

Will-o-Wisp already deals in a way with Rock-type resists by crippling them (the majority that resists Rock Slide hates to get burnt), so remove it / put it in OO.

Last edited:

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
add a dual screens set; stealth rocks + dual screens + explosion is a very effective combo, and it has usable speed as well. i would even make it the first set

Solrock @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Explosion

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Idk how viable the first set is because it really isn't all that bulky. It has to run max SpD just so it doesn't get obliterated by Charizard which leaves its physical defensive rather lackluster without investment. Will-O-Wisp is cool I guess but if I wanted something with WoW and Levitate I'd rather just use Missy. It can't even wall birds all that well since Swellow and Braviary like to carry U-turn which does well over 50% to SpD Solrock.

This is ready for QC checks.

I had major issues finding appropriate content for the AC sections in terms of partners for both sets and other viable moves for the first set. Feedback on these issues would be appreciated.
Idk how viable the first set is because it really isn't all that bulky. It has to run max SpD just so it doesn't get obliterated by Charizard which leaves its physical defensive rather lackluster without investment. Will-O-Wisp is cool I guess but if I wanted something with WoW and Levitate I'd rather just use Missy. It can't even wall birds all that well since Swellow and Braviary like to carry U-turn which does well over 50% to SpD Solrock.
Solrock does have the perks of Stealth Rock and leftovers, but other than that, I agree that it is inferior to Misdreavus. I shall remove it if other QC members agree to do so.

Last edited:

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I don't understand why Solrock is running a specially defensive set and not Lunatone, bar Will-O-Wisp, as Lunatone has the clear superior Special Defense.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Remove the Jynx / Scolipede references and I'll stamp this since I'm pretty sure I'm still QC and even if I'm not who cares lol Magcargo 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)