Reuniclus

Overview
########
Unfortunately for Reuniclus, the metagame is very unkind to it. Pokemon such as Aegislash, Bisharp, Mandibuzz, Tyranitar, and Unaware Clefable are everywhere and stop it from being nearly as effective as it once was. However, Reuniclus still has its uses; with Trick Room, it can function as a unique and fearsome special attacker that can turn the high Speed of frail offensive teams against them. Its great Special Attack stat and decent coverage also make it quite difficult to switch into. However, being checked or countered by a slew of common Pokemon is never a good thing, especially for a Pokemon that is as monumentally slow as Reuniclus. Overall, while Reuniclus is not the greatest Pokemon, it can still be incredibly dangerous against certain teams.

Trick Room
########
name: Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Psychic / Psyshock
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Shadow Ball
ability: Magic Guard
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
evs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA
ivs: 0 Spe
nature: Quiet

Moves
========
Trick Room turns Reuniclus's non-existent Speed into an advantage, allowing it to move before almost every other Pokemon in the game. Psychic is Reuniclus's main STAB option; it is usually preferred over Psyshock because it harder, especially physically defensive Pokemon such as Hippowdon and Gliscor. However, Psyshock still can be used as it helps Reuniclus beat special walls such as Chansey. Focus Blast gets good coverage with Reuniclus's STAB move and is its strongest secondary attacking move. Shadow Ball is primarily for hitting other Psychic-types and Aegislash, for super effective damage, which would otherwise resist all of Reuniclus's moves. However, Hidden Power Fire is an option that can be used over Shadow Ball to OHKO Scizor, which is especially useful as Reuniclus outspeeds it if Trick Room is up and takes heavy damage from its STAB U-turn or Knock Off otherwise. It also maintains coverage on Aegislash, though it is weaker than Shadow Ball.

Set Details
========
The given EVs maximize Reuniclus's bulk and Special Attack, as this set aims to hit as hard as possible. 0 Speed IVs make Reuniclus as fast as possible under Trick Room. Life Orb is the preferred item on this set as the 30% power boost it gives Reuniclus is much more useful than the passive healing of Leftovers. Reuniclus makes a good user of Life Orb as it takes no recoil thanks to Magic Guard.

Usage Tips
========
This set should generally be used mid-game to punch holes in the opponent's team. This set is good against offensive teams because it turns their Speed against them and forces them to take Reuniclus's powerful special attacks. Reuniclus is already hard to switch into, so it becomes even more difficult to deal with when it nearly always moves first.

Before using Trick Room, be sure Reuniclus will be able to survive for most of its duration if you do not have other slow Pokemon to take advantage of it. Do not use Trick Room at times when the rest of your team would be at a disadvantage in it, as giving your opponent the ability to outspeed most of your team can often result in a loss.

Reuniclus can be used as an emergency check to powerful physical attackers such as Conkeldurr or Excadrill, but this often leaves it heavily damaged and using it in this way can prevent it from being effective later in the game.

Team Options
========
While entire teams based around Trick Room are a bit gimmicky, other slow, powerful Pokemon can take advantage of any Trick Room turns that might remain after Reuniclus has been knocked out. Conkeldurr in particular is a great partner as easily deals with Tyranitar and Bisharp and has the coverage to beat some of Reuniclus's other checks under Trick Room, such as Aegislash. While this set is not all that reliant on having its counters removed to be effective, Pokemon that beat its counters are still appreciated. Bisharp and Heatran are good answers to Aegislash, and Heatran also deals with Scizor. Landorus-T is a good partner as it can check Aegislash and Tyranitar, two Pokemon that can greatly trouble Reuniclus.

Other Options
########
Reuniclus has a few other options, but most of them are outclassed by other—usually faster—Pokemon. Reuniclus can still run a Calm Mind set, but it has huge trouble sweeping offensive teams thanks to the prevalence of Aegislash, Bisharp, and Unaware Clefable. Thunder can be used to get past Mandibuzz, but it has little use otherwise. A three attacks + Recover set can be used, but Reuniclus would sorely miss Trick Room. A set with Trick + Flame Orb can be used, as Magic Guard stops burn damage, to protect Reuniclus from sleep and potentially cripple switch-ins such as Scizor, Aegislash, and Tyranitar. In return, Reuniclus could receive an item such as a Choice Band that could be used to cripple another Pokemon. However, this is fairly prediction-reliant, and Reuniclus would rather use the moveslot and item slot on more useful and consistent options.

Checks & Counters
########
**Aegislash**: Aegislash is one of the most common Pokemon in the metagame. It resists Psychic and Psyshock and is immune to Focus Blast. It hits Reuniclus very hard with its STAB Shadow Ball and it can set up Substitutes on it. It must watch out for Reuniclus's own Shadow Ball, although it has enough bulk in Shield Forme to shrug it off if need be.

**Dark-types**: Dark-types tend to make great checks to Reuniclus. Bisharp can't switch into a Focus Blast, but it can OHKO Reuniclus with either Sucker Punch or Knock Off. Tyranitar can trap Reuniclus with its powerful STAB Pursuit, but it is outsped and OHKOed by Focus Blast under Trick Room. Mandibuzz is only hit neutrally by Focus Blast and can stall out Reuniclus with Roost. Sableye is immune to Reuniclus's main attacking options and can hit it decently hard with Foul Play. It can also prevent Reuniclus from setting up Trick Room with its Prankster Taunt.

**Scizor**: Scizor greatly threatens Reuniclus with its powerful STAB U-turn. However, if Trick Room is up, it is outsped and OHKOed by Reuniclus if the latter has Hidden Power Fire.

**Special Walls**: Specially bulky Pokemon can work as situational checks to Reuniclus. Chansey in particular handles Reuniclus quite nicely, but if Reuniclus is running Psyshock, it can threaten Chansey. Similarly, Deoxys-D can wall Reuniclus with ease if it lacks Shadow Ball and set hazards up on it.

**Volcarona**: Volcarona can hit Reuniclus hard with its STAB Bug Buzz and threaten to set up on it. However, it does not take Psyshock very well.

**Trick**: Reuniclus is crippled if it gets Tricked a Choice item from the likes of Choice Scarf Rotom-W, especially since its main attacking moves have common immunities and it is far too slow to benefit from having a Choice Scarf.

Last edited:
Mention on the CM set that Psyshock helps in the event of a CM war against opposing CM Reuniclus/Latias/Suicune/etc.

Remove dual screens from OO, there's no way that's going to fly with Reuni.

Mention Trick in the C&C section, since that shuts Reuni down hard. Encore/Perish Song are fine to suggest as well, since they can shut down the CM set. Jirachi does work as well with paraflinch and doesn't take much damage. Quiver Dance Volcarona against Psyshock-less Reuni. Sableye walls it pretty easily and can Taunt + Foul Play it to death.

QC 1/3

The dual screens mention was mainly just filler because Reuniclus doesn't really have any other options. Other than possibly Flame Orb + Trick, can anyone think of any other options at all for Reuniclus? I don't really like Flame Orb + Trick at all since a majority of the time you'll just be crippling yourself by getting a scarf from Genesect or something. I guess I don't really need any more other options, but that section looks a bit barren at the moment.

Trick + Flame Orb is good. Burning Genesect/Scizor or trading a Flame Orb on a defensive Pokemon is great. Even if you Trick a Choice Scarf or Band, you can Trick it back onto something else.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Psyshock can be used as it helps Reuniclus win Calm Mind wars and beat special walls such as Blissey, but most of them can do little to Reuniclus in return and Psychic is more powerful, so is generally the preferred option
You should also mention that Psychic is more useful for damaging physically defensive walls, such as Gliscor, Hippowdon, etc.
Reuniclus should only attempt to sweep late-game once its counters have been removed, as many of them are capable of cutting Reuniclus's sweep short.
Reuniclus should attempt to sweep whenever it has the opportunity to do so (which can happen at any time), it's not just limited to lategame.

Furthermore, you should mention that Reuniclus is a top notch check to physical attackers (such as Conkeldurr, Excadrill). Unfortunately, you give up the ability to sweep when you decide to check certain physical attackers (non LO SD Excadrill). That decision is up to the player. Either it sweeps at a later point, or it tanks a powerful hit to KO a physical attacker.
Sableye is immune to Reuniclus's main attacking options and can hit it decently hard with Foul Play.
Don't forget about Taunt!

QC 2/3

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Be sure to detail the first set's selling points over Calm Mind Magic Guard Clefable, who is Reuniclus' main competitor, since it has a better defensive typing and movepool.

One would be that Reuniclus counters Mega Venusaur, who can potentially annoy teams that are not prepared for it. It also hits quite harder off the bat, especially if it uses Life Orb (why isn't that slashed with Lefties? grrrrr).

Be sure to detail the first set's selling points over Calm Mind Magic Guard Clefable, who is Reuniclus' main competitor, since it has a better defensive typing and movepool.

One would be that Reuniclus counters Mega Venusaur, who can potentially annoy teams that are not prepared for it. It also hits quite harder off the bat, especially if it uses Life Orb (why isn't that slashed with Lefties? grrrrr).
It also has higher stats than Clefable overall. I should mention competition from Clefable, I just don't know where.

I didn't slash LO because it becomes much easier to wear down without lefties and it usually gets a few boosts before it tries to sweep anyway, so the initial lack of power isn't a major concern. Also, the preview didn't slash Life Orb after some discussion, so I didn't slash it because I figured that there haven't been any new reasons to use Life Orb since the preview was written.

Other than that, this has been written up and is about ready for the final QC check.

Last edited:
You might want to be careful with this point, because Scizor hits Reuniclus even harder with U-Turn.
Yeah, I don't really know why I even brought that up. I wasn't really thinking, haha. Reuniclus does have STAB Psyshock over Clefable though, so it can win CM wars much more easily. There aren't too many other benefits over Clefable, however the stat advantages are pretty big, especially when it comes to bulk.

In gen 6 the strength of hidden power is constant, so the IVs can stay 0, since the type is still fire then
Doesn't 31/31/31/31/31/0 give HP Ice? I remember Ditto using that IV spread to get HP Ice for stuff like Landorus-I. I didn't know what the lowest Speed IV that gave HP Fire was, so I checked the Gen V Reuniclus analysis and it said that it was 2. I'm not really sure, though. Do you have a source?

31/31/31/31/31/2 also gives hp ice you need another spread for fire. The reason why an IV of 2 was used in gen 5 was, that hp fire had 64 BP when used with 0 IVs while having 70 when used with 2 IVs. Now since gen 6 hidden powers have a constant bp of 60 (source: the game) and thus there's no need for having an IV of 2. An example spread for fire is 31/30/31/30/31/0.

A simple thing to remember: The type of a hidden power is only determined by which IVs are even or odd (source: http://www.serebii.net/games/hidden-power.shtml)

31/31/31/31/31/2 also gives hp ice you need another spread for fire. The reason why 2 was used in gen 4 was, that hp fire had 64 BP when used with 0 IVs while having 70 when used with 2 IVs. Now since gen 6 hidden powers have a constant bp of 60 (source: the game) and thus there's no need for having an IV of 2. An example spread for fire is 31/30/31/30/31/0.
Oh, I didn't take into account the non-Speed IVs because I didn't realize that it was a Speed IV of 2 AND 30s in a couple of the other stats that gave HP Fire. I thought it was 31/31/31/31/31/2. My bad. Thanks for pointing it out.

Imo you need to say that Reuniclus pairs nicely with Magnezone/Magneton, who can take care of Jirachi, Scizor, Genesect. (And finish a weakened Aegislash.)

Anyway, good job.

Imo you need to say that Reuniclus pairs nicely with Magnezone/Magneton, who can take care of Jirachi, Scizor, Genesect. (And finish a weakened Aegislash.)

Anyway, good job.
Thanks! I had Magnezone as a partner originally, but I changed it for some reason. Aegislash is immune to Magnet Pull because it's a Ghost-type, but I'll add Magnezone in because it can beat those three.

It also takes care of Skarm, who can Whirlwind the minder if Focus Blast misses (How unexpected.), but you can choose not to mention it, as Skarm isn't really a threat to Reuniclus outside of Phaze.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mention somewhere in the counters section that Unaware Clefable stops the CM set pretty reliably, if it also has CM then you're losing.

Mention in the overview that Reuniclus is one of the best counters to Mega Venusaur, a major proponent in many stall teams -- this is one of its main selling points.

Be a little specific about some of the walls it can set up on as well, things like Chansey, Gliscor, defensive Heatran, Zapdos, Mega Venusaur is a big one, etc. There are lots of these Pokemon found commonly in stall that Reuni can set up on.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would tone down a bit its ability to beat stall teams, as CM Unaware Clefable is a staple on those teams and one of the best counters to CM Reuniclus.

I would tone down a bit its ability to beat stall teams, as CM Unaware Clefable is a staple on those teams and one of the best counters to CM Reuniclus.
Okay. Also, this isn't quite ready for GP yet. I still have to look the whole thing over one more time

EDIT: Now it's ready.

Last edited:
Amateur Check here

Additions
Removals
(Comments)

Nicely written analysis! Not much to fix here.

Overview
########
Boasting great overall bulk and Special Attack, Reuniclus can makes for a fearsome special attacker that is excellent at dealing with different team playstyles. muscling It muscles past stall teams with Calm Mind while they struggle to do much of anything in return, to it or turning and it can turn the high Speed of frail offensive teams against them with Trick Room. One of its main selling points over other offensive Pokemon is that it is very difficult to wear down thanks to a great ability in Magic Guard and reliable recovery in Recover. Reuniclus can also defeat Mega Venusaur with ease, a feat most other offensive threats could only dream of. However, Reuniclus has a fairly bad defensive typing, which can severely hamper it as it possesses weaknesses to common attacks such as U-turn and Pursuit. On top of this, its Psychic typing leaves it with no worthwhile resistances outside out Fighting. Reuniclus is also monumentally slow when Trick Room is not up, so it is forced to take hits often. However, despite these flaws, Reuniclus is still a unique and powerful Pokemon that is not to be underestimated.

Calm Mind
########
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 4: Recover
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
nature: Bold

Moves
========
Calm Mind is the main move of this set. Reuniclus in particular makes good use of it because of its great bulk and immunity to passive damage. Psychic is chosen because it is Reuniclus's most powerful STAB move, although Psyshock can be used as it helps Reuniclus win Calm Mind wars and beat special walls such as Blissey. However, most of them can do little to Reuniclus in return and Psychic is more powerful, so it is generally the preferred option. Focus Blast gets decent coverage with Psychic, hitting Psychic immunities such as Tyranitar for super effective damage. Recover is nearly mandatory because even though Magic Guard gives it an immunity to passive damage, Reuniclus is still worn down rather easily by attacks and needs a way to keep itself healthy, especially with its abysmal Speed.

Set Details
========
The listed EVs and nature maximize Reuniclus's physical bulk as its special bulk is covered by Calm Mind and it can usually get enough boosts that it doesn't need any investment in Special Attack. Leftovers is the preferred item because it makes Reuniclus harder to wear down and helps mitigate its reliance on Recover.

Usage Tips
========
(remove space) (this is just for consistency throughout the analysis)
This set's main draw is its incredible effectiveness against stall teams. Outside of Unaware Clefable, very few common stall Pokemon can beat Reuniclus one-on-one. Once Clefable has been removed, Reuniclus's bulk, reliable recovery, and especially (saying especially here interferes with the listing you're trying to make) immunity to passive damage all work together to ensure that Reuniclus has a very easy time setting up on common stall Pokemon. In particular, Chansey, Gliscor, defensive Heatran, and Mega Venusaur all give it free opportunities to set up. Be sure to take advantage of this.

Reuniclus should only attempt to sweep once its counters have been removed, as many of them are capable of cutting Reuniclus's sweep short. Once this has been done, it can easily sweep whenever it finds the opportunity.

It is generally best to set up on a wall that cannot do much damage to Reuniclus or a special attacker that is unable to break through it after a Calm Mind boost.

Reuniclus can be used as an emergency check to powerful physical attackers such as Conkeldurr or Excadrill, but this often leaves it with heavy damage and using it in this way can prevent it from sweeping later in the game. (I understand that these last three "paragraphs" are meant to be different usage tips but I don't think separating them as such is entirely necessary)

Team Options
========
As Reuniclus has many common checks and counters, proper team support is essential to its success. Fire Punch Deoxys-S lures in and beats Genesect while providing entry hazard support to give Reuniclus an easier time sweeping. Bulky Ground-types such as Landorus-T beat Aegislash, Tyranitar, and Scizor while providing Stealth Rock support. Something that can beat Unaware Clefable is definitely something to consider, as it is often the only answer stall teams have to this set. Aegislash is a good choice in this regard, and excels on the types of teams Reuniclus is best on. Heatran is by far the best counter to Genesect and also handles Scizor and Clefable nicely; it can also support the team with Stealth Rock. Tyranitar makes a great partner because of its ability to Pursuit trap the bulky Psychic-types that resist Reuniclus's attacking moves. Similarly, Magnezone can trap and remove a few of the Pokemon that can end Reuniclus's sweep, namely Scizor, Jirachi, and occasionally Genesect.

Trick Room
########
name: Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 4: Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Fire
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
evs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA
ivs: 0 Spe
nature: Quiet

Moves
========
Trick Room turns Reuniclus's non-existent Speed into an advantage, allowing Reuniclus to "outspeed" almost every other Pokemon in the game (I don't know if you should specify that this is under Trick Room but I'll leave it up to you). Psychic is Reuniclus's main STAB option; it is usually preferred over Psyshock because it hits most Pokemon for more damage and hits physically defensive Pokemon such as Hippowdon and Gliscor harder than Psyshock. However, Psyshock still can be used as it helps Reuniclus beat special walls such as Blissey. Focus Blast gets good coverage with Reuniclus's STAB move and is its strongest secondary attacking move. Shadow Ball is primarily for hitting other Psychic-types and Aegislash, (AC) which would otherwise resist all of Reuniclus's moves, (AC) for super effective damage. However, Hidden Power Fire is an option that can be used over Shadow Ball to OHKO Scizor and Genesect, which is especially useful as Reuniclus outspeeds both of them if Trick Room is up and takes heavy damage from both of them if it cannot OHKO them. It also maintains coverage on Aegislash and Celebi, though it is weaker than Shadow Ball against these targets.

Set Details
========
The given EVs maximize Reuniclus's bulk and Special Attack, as this set aims to hit as hard as possible. 0 Speed IVs make Reuniclus as fast as possible under Trick Room. Life Orb is the preferred the preferred item on this set as the 30% power boost it gives Reuniclus is much more useful than the passive healing of Leftovers. Reuniclus makes a good user of Life Orb as it takes no Life Orb recoil thanks to Magic Guard.

Usage Tips
========
This set should generally be used mid-game to punch holes in the opponents team. While the Calm Mind set works better against stall teams, this set works wonders against offensive teams because it turns their Speed against them and forces them to take Reuniclus's powerful special attacks. Reuniclus is already hard to switch into, so it becomes even harder to deal with when it nearly always moves first.

Before using Trick Room, be sure Reuniclus will be able to survive for most of its duration if you do not have other slow Pokemon to take advantage of it. Do not use Trick Room at times when the rest of your team would be at a speed disadvantage in Trick Room, as giving your opponent the ability to outspeed most of your team can often result in a loss.

Team Options
========
While entire teams based around Trick Room are a bit gimmicky, other slow, powerful Pokemon can take advantage of any Trick Room turns that may remain after Reuniclus has been knocked out. Conkeldurr in particular is a great partner as it easily beats Tyranitar and has the coverage to beat some of Reuniclus's other checks under Trick Room, such as Genesect. While this set is not nearly as reliant on having its counters removed to be effective, Pokemon that beat its counters are still appreciated. Again, Heatran is useful for defeating Genesect and Scizor, especially if Reuniclus lacks Hidden Power Fire. Landorus-T is again a good partner as it can defeat physically attacking Aegislash and Tyranitar, two Pokemon which can greatly trouble Reuniclus.

Other Options
########
Reuniclus has a few other options, but most of them are outclassed by other, usually faster, Pokemon. Reuniclus is a fairly limited Pokemon and struggles to be effective outside of the listed sets. A 3 attacks + Recover set can be used, but Reuniclus would sorely miss either Trick Room or the ability to sweep, as those are by far its most effective options. A set with Trick + Flame Orb can be used, as Magic Guard stops burn damage, to protect Reuniclus from sleep and potentially cripple switch-ins such as Scizor, Aegislash, or Tyranitar. In return, Reuniclus could receive an item such as a Choice Band that could be used to cripple another opponent. However, this is fairly prediction reliant and Reuniclus would rather use the moveslot and item slot on more useful and consistent options.

Checks & Counters
########
**Genesect and Scizor**: Both of these Pokemon are very common Pokemon in the metagame and greatly threaten Reuniclus with a their powerful STAB U-turn. However, if Trick Room is up, they are outsped and OHKOed by Reuniclus if it has Hidden Power Fire.

**Tyranitar**: Tyranitar is also a very common Pokemon. It can trap Reuniclus with its powerful STAB Pursuit, however it too is outsped and OHKOed under Trick Room, in this case by Focus Blast.

**Aegislash**: Aegislash is yet another common Pokemon that checks Reuniclus. It resists Psychic and Psyshock and is immune to Focus Blast. It hits any Reuniclus without multiple Calm Mind boosts very hard with its STAB Shadow Ball and also has STAB Shadow Sneak to bypass Trick Room. It must watch out for Reuniclus's own Shadow Ball, although it has enough bulk in Shield Form to shrug it off if need be.

**Jirachi**: Jirachi can flinch Reuniclus to death with Iron Head and takes little damage from an unboosted Psychic or Focus Blast, though it must watch out for Shadow Ball or Hidden Power Fire.

**Volcarona **: Volcarona can threaten Reuniclus with its STAB Bug Buzz and start a pseudo Calm Mind war with Quiver Dance, but it does not take Psyshock well due to its awful Defense stat.

**Sableye**: Sableye is immune to Reuniclus's main attacking options and can hit it decently hard with Foul Play. It can also prevent Reuniclus from using Recover or setting up Trick Room with its Prankster Taunt.

**Unaware Clefable**: Clefable is notable as one of the only reliable ways stall teams have of dealing with Calm Mind Reuniclus. Unaware allows it easily beat Reuniclus in a Calm Mind war or just flat-out wall it.

**Trick**: Reuniclus is crippled if it gets Tricked a Choice item from the likes of Choice Scarf Rotom-W or Latios, especially since its main attacking moves have common immunities and it is far too slow to ever benefit from having a Choice Scarf.

**Encore**: While it is an uncommon sight in OU, Encore cripples Reuniclus in a similar way to Trick, though not quite as much as Trick does since it isn't permanent.

**Special Walls**: Specially bulky Pokemon can work as situational checks to Reuniclus. Blissey and Chansey handle it to an extent, however they are hit hard by Psyshock and can be setup fodder for the Calm Mind set as they lack any real way to threaten it. Because of this, they can only effectively wall the Trick Room set and even then only if it is not running Psyshock. Similarly, Deoxys-D can wall Reuniclus with ease if it lacks Shadow Ball. It can also Taunt it Reuniclus (this is just to avoid ambiguity) to stop it from boosting further or recovering HP.

Last edited:

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Mention Deoxys-D as a counter to the Calm Mind set, as without Shadow Ball, Reuniclus has no hope of breaking through him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)