Masuda Method Without Shiny Charm

Wichu posted a thread in order to determine the chance of hatching a shiny Pokemon using both Masuda Method's and shiny charm. Though in order to test the difference between the two, I think it is important to know the rate which shinies are generated in generation 6 using Masuda Method without shiny charm. He assumes that it is 6/4096 (or about 1/683) and it's a guess as good as any, but as far as I can tell there's no proof to indicate that the rate actually is 6/4096. The odds of getting a shiny with Masuda Method were increased from generation 4 to generation 5. Isn't it plausible that the rate was increased again in generation 6?

Rather than speculating about it, I wanted to hold a similar test. The rules will mostly be the same. I'm looking for volunteers to pledge the amount of eggs they plan to hatch, and then report back after they've hatched that number of eggs telling whether or not they've hatched shinies along with how many shinies they've hatched. Ideally I'd like to get to around 50,000 eggs hatched as well so we can be confident in the result, but I don't really have a set number in mind. The more eggs hatched, the more reliable the result will be.

It might also be helpful if the people participating included the regions of the parents they're using. Also, please include your total hatches/shinies in your latest post.

Again, this is only for people playing Pokemon X or Y who do NOT have shiny charm.

Google document. Update your shinies here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsbxGRX9WMCldERHWUJTMTZYMzJLc3lqVkc4VHdrTnc#gid=0

Last edited:
Now this is something I can help with! I'm trying to get a shiny Magikarp through MM, so I'll pledge 1000 eggs to the cause. Right now I'm using a Japanese male Magikarp and a female Magikarp that's from my game (US). I'll start recording my results as soon as I return from college.

Oh, and for the record, I'm just using Masuda. I'm not even close to getting the Shiny Charm.

Batch #1: 100/100 - 0 Shinies
Batch #2: 100/100 - 0 Shinies
Batch #3: 100/100 - 0 Shinies
Batch #4: 100/100 - 0 Shinies
Batch #5: 100/100 - 0 Shinies
Batch #6: 100/100 - 0 Shinies
Batch #7: 100/100 - 0 Shinies
Batch #8: 100/100 - 0 Shinies
Batch #9: 100/100 - 0 Shinies
Batch #10: 100/100 - 0 Shinies

Last edited:
I'll help. I will pledge batches of 30 (because 30 is one PC box and I won't have to count that way). I do NOT have the shiny charm (if I did, I would be helping at the other thread).

Batches:
#1(American Fennekin (Female)+Japanese Espurr(Male)): 30/30
#2(same): 30/30
#3(American Protean Frogadier(Female)+Japanese Protean Frogadier(Male)): 30/30

Last edited:
Hey guys! This is my first post so please be kind if I don't post it properly!

I've been breeding feebas using Masuda method (11 boxes full of hatched feebas so far, so 330 eggs) over the last few days. 0 shinies so far

I realize that you want pledges instead of old results though, so I'll start a new pledge.

I've been breeding using a 5 iv feebas from my game and a 4 iv Japanese feebas. Does it need to be a ditto for Masuda to work? I seem to be having horrible luck so far. If so could somebody possibly trade me a 4-6 iv ditto? I have a few shinies or lots of quint-flawless pokes. I'm fairly new to breeding (prior to x y I had never even bothered to try)

I'll pledge 100 eggs for now, should get that done pretty quick. Here's hoping I finally get my shiny!

Pledge #1 - 100/100 eggs - 0 shinies

Pledge #2 - 100/100 eggs - 0 shinies

Pledge #3 - 100/100 eggs - 0 shinies

Pledge #4 - 200/200 eggs - 0 shinies

Pledge #5 - 200/200 - 1 SHINY DRIFLOON! Yay! Egg #182 was shiny. Unfortunately I got the shiny balloon while I was still breeding for ivs. So it ended up being only a 2iv one. But at least it's shiny and it's flare boost and the right nature :D!

Pledge #5: 100/100 no shinies.

*final update: I have got the shiny charm now. So I won't be contributing anymore :(. My final results were 1/800. Meaning I got one shiny out of 800 eggs.

Last edited:
I'll help out. I still don't have the shiny charm, but I like the idea of this control group sample. I'll pledge 600 eggs. I'd pledge more, but I have a feeling the pokebank is coming out soon, so I'll probably get the shiny charm in a couple weeks. Will edit this post as I hatch eggs.
Male Japanese Ralts and a Female American Tynamo.

Batch #1: 0/150
Batch #2: 0/150
Batch #3: 0/150
Batch #4: 0/150

Alright, I didn't get any shinys. Not too surprised.

Last edited:
Just signed up to say I would like to help with this as well. Was following the other thread for users with the shiny charm and thought it was really interesting. Currently don't have the shiny charm and have been MM for a shiny noibat. So I will pledge 120 eggs to start off with.

Edit: Also forgot to mention it's a Japanese Male Noibat and US Female Noibat that I'm breeding together.

Last edited:
I'll help. I will pledge batches of 30 (because 30 is one PC box and I won't have to count that way). I do NOT have the shiny charm (if I did, I would be helping at the other thread).

Also, I am in the proccess of making a spreadsheet here. If anyone wants to tidy it up once I'm done, feel free to. Once someone gets a shiny, the divide by zero error will be fixed. Tag me in your post if you encounter any problems with the spreadsheet.
If you want to format your row to show your rate and shiny percentage, go ahead. Otherwise, I could do it for you.
Hey, I like some of the stuff in your spreadsheet; would you mind if we switch to mine, but I'll add some of the cool features in? Either way is fine with me. But since the other sheets are already under my name, it kinda makes sense lol

Edit: Hmm. I'm not THAT advanced with spreadsheets, and I'm kind of confused since I'm not familiar with the methods you're calling. I can see what they're doing, but I'm not sure why its spitting out weird data for the dates and time left.

It would have also helped if you had opened the sheet to editing so I could easily see what cells your formula is affecting, and reverse-engineer from there. I've managed some of it, but I'm not 100% sure the time parts are accurate. However, this is helping me get familiar with using functions in a spreadsheet, so that's definitely a plus!

Last edited:
To be honest I mostly just went with bird's spreadsheet because he made the other one. Maybe Mulan15262 could edit bird's spreadsheet to include all that info or vice versa. I could give it a try myself but I'm worried I'd mess it up. Which spreadsheet we use isn't that important to me since they both seem to include all the info we need. I suppose more info is never a bad thing.

Hey, I like some of the stuff in your spreadsheet; would you mind if we switch to mine, but I'll add some of the cool features in? Either way is fine with me. But since the other sheets are already under my name, it kinda makes sense lol

Edit: Hmm. I'm not THAT advanced with spreadsheets, and I'm kind of confused since I'm not familiar with the methods you're calling. I can see what they're doing, but I'm not sure why its spitting out weird data for the dates and time left.

It would have also helped if you had opened the sheet to editing so I could easily see what cells your formula is affecting, and reverse-engineer from there. I've managed some of it, but I'm not 100% sure the time parts are accurate. However, this is helping me get familiar with using functions in a spreadsheet, so that's definitely a plus!
Sorry, I am new to spreadsheets and did not know how to do that.

Anyways, for the estimated time until the goal is reached, I think you should subtract the number of eggs hatched, not percent of the goal completed. Also, for percentages, you can not multiply by 100 and add a percent sign onto the end, but rather format the square as a percent. Beyond that, though, you did everything just like how I did it.

Well I mostly copied and pasted the stuff you put in, and looked it over/corrected what I could see that was wrong. I think it's mostly done, but I'll look at the total time again.

EDIT: I dunno, it looks fine. I think either you or someone else came in and corrected it, as I cannot find any percentages in the calculations.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Sweet - something I can help with! :)
I pledge to hatch hmmm... 200 eggs to start with I guess.
I'll edit this post when I'm done - it may take me a while though!

Breeding an Italian Shellder with an American one.
0 / 50
0 / 50
0 / 50
0 / 50

Edit: I finished hatching my Shellders, and no shinies at all ;_;
Total: 0 / 200

Last edited:
I pledge to hatch 50 eggs to start with, may do more.
All are 5-6 IV Rotom's
Jap Ditto-Eng Rotom

Update: 51/50

EDIT: Not gonna do anymore since I'm almost done with the dex and will have shiny charm soon.

Last edited:
I've been breeding like crazy so I should contribute. I'll do batches of 100 (or until I get tired of hatching).

Lileep: 100/100; 0 shinies
Shellder: 100/100; 0 shinies
Corphish: 100/100; 0 shinies
Porygon: 5/5; 0 shinies
Larvesta: 20/20; 0 shinies
Zubat: 100/100; 0 shinies
Lileep (again): 100/100; 0 shinies
Shellder (again): 100/100; 1 shiny on egg 87 (finally!!!)
Corphish (again): 100/100; 0 shinies
Scraggy: 420/420; 0 shinies
Tangela: 300/300; 0 shinies
Tirtouga: 80/80; 0 shinies
Exeggcute: 300/300; 0 shinies
Cleffa: 100/100; 0 shinies
Roselia: 131/131; 0 shinies
Cleffa (again): 92/92; 0 shinies
Ekans: 5/5; 1 shiny egg 5
Exeggcute (again): 100/100; 0 shinies
Meditite: 90/100

Last edited:
I'll help using The Machine this time, about 600 eggs per day :)

Edit: I'm going to pledge 500 eggs for today.

Last edited:
I've already been at this for a while with a few thousand eggs. I think I'm throwing off the eggs/shinies per day count though, so I can take my results out if need be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)