Status
Not open for further replies.

#392 Infernape
Classification - Flame Pokémon
Type -

Abilities
Blaze:
When HP is below 1/3rd, Fire's power increases to 1.5 times
Hidden Ability (Available through transfer)
Iron Fist:
The power of punching moves is increased by 20%
List of moves affected by Iron Fist
http://www.serebii.net/abilitydex/ironfist.shtml
BS: 76/104/71/104/71/108
BST: 534

Viable Moves

Flare Blitz
Close Combat
U-Turn
ThunderPunch
Mach Punch
Overheat
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Poison Jab
Nasty Plot
Swords Dance
Grass Knot

General Analysis

With equal attacking and special attacking stats, ways to boost both stats in the form of Nasty Plot and Swords Dance (and now Power-Up- Punch), an acceptable speed, and a fabulous offensive typing, it's no wonder why Infernape was so widely used in 4th and 5th generation OU. It became the first starter to receive some actual use in OU in 4th gen, and served as a sun team wallbreaker in 5th gen. However, the new generation brought Infernape some gifts and some downfalls. The Fairy type being prevalent in the new metagame actually helps Infernape (Fairy type damage is only 1x due to fire typing), as more and more Steel types are being used. Another benefit Infernape gains is in the move of Power-Up-Punch, a move that benefits from Iron Fist and raises attack with each successful strike. However, there are the same downfalls. Earthquake exists, and with Defense at a low base 71, you probably won't survive more than one of those (if even one). Azumarill is gaining in usage, and walls Infernape completely unless it has ThunderPunch. There are a lot of benefits for Infernape this gen, but is it still viable?

Potential Movesets

Choice Chimp
(Choice Band Infernape)
Infernape @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Thunder Punch/ Mach Punch

The choice banded wrecker from last generation's sun teams returns, and it still works extremely well. Flare Blitz and Close Combat give perfect coverage on all single types. U-Turn is useful for scouting and for being able to switch into whichever Pokémon you prefer. Thunder Punch is the recommended move on this set so you can deal with Azumarill, but Mach Punch can be used for priority. Both moves receive boosts from Iron Fist, so it's really your decision.

Is Infernape still viable this generation? Are there any other sets that you are using that seem to be working? Discuss.

Last edited:
Infernape is still versatile with a great and unpredictable movepool and great speed. Its problem however is the current metagame itself. Too many of the top threats are really bad news for Nape. Talonflame, Azumarill, Greninja, Rotom-W, Landorus-T, Gliscor, Dragonite, Charizard, these guys all give Nape a hard time as well as some others. Nape either just can't hit these guys hard enough or is outsped and hit with super effective priority. His biggest asset is able to go mixed, having what he needs to break down walls of either nature with Close Combat and Overheat, and he doesn't have to worry about burn either, which is always good for an offensive mon. On semi-stall Fake Out + U-Turn is still an annoying combination, but not game changing. Resisting Knock Off is nice if it grows in popularity, and it can learn Acrobatics for such an occasion which can actually really help it out in a few cases against Mega Venusaur for example. But these aren't reliable.

Infernape can be good as a late game sweeper though, like Terrakion, having the right speed and powerful mixed offenses to clean up with Mach Punch as insurance if priority users remain. Overall though he isn't someone you build a team around, he's the type to fill in the gaps your team may need. At least the lack of Rain helps.

Infernape can hit Charizard with stone edge or Thunderpunch

Edit: Choice Band infernape might ohko Greninja with mach punch. I don't know where people get their calculations from.

Infernape can hit Charizard with stone edge or Thunderpunch
Infernape does outspeed both Mega X and Mega Y so that's true, and if you predict the Mega Evo, you will OHKO Charizard Y, not sure about X though. The only downside is Stone Edge's accuracy.

EDIT: Did some calcs
252 Atk Choice Band Infernape Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 688-812 (230.8 - 272.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Infernape Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 256-302 (85.9 - 101.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

Thanks guys for the calc. I finally figured out how to do calcs too. Here's a banded mach punch against Greninja.

252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Infernape Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 282-332 (98.6 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
(282, 284, 288, 290, 294, 296, 302, 306, 308, 312, 314, 318, 320, 324, 326, 332)

Infernape is looking strong, it's just walled to hell by Azumarill.

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 422-498 (144 - 169.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 212-252 (72.3 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 265-312 (65.5 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Choice Banded completely annihilates Infernape.
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 318-374 (108.5 - 127.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

That's just one counter though, I think Infernape has potential.

Scarf Infernape is looking good - Scarfers without U-turn are practically useless right now, so Infernape's access to it gives it a very important edge over previous competitors like Scarf Terrakion and Keldeo. It also hits a higher speed tier than the best non-priority revenge killers, Deoxys-S and Scarf Genesect, and forces both out. It has a ton of options to hit a lot of different things too. Here's a potential set:

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist/Blaze (doesn't really matter)
252 Spd/252 Atk/4 HP
Jolly Nature
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat
-U-Turn
-ThunderPunch

You could slash anything you wanted in the last slot, even a special move (switching HP EVs to SpA and Jolly nature to Naive).

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
In my opinion, Infernape is still just bottom-tier OU.
It has a lot of good qualities, but it's Attack is just adequate, and its speed puts him under many common threats.

Infernape is a bottom tier OU pokemon, but not really for those reasons. The new speed tier to beat is about 100, and anything higher than that is considered fast. The only relavent things that outspeed it are Talonflame (duh), Greninja, Alakazam, MegaLuke, and Gengar. Under no circumstances should it be fighting Talonflame, but Greninja has to be afraid of Mach Punch (not common, but still a threat) and scarf sets, Alakazam is OHKO'd a U-Turn, MegaLuke is OHKO'd by either STABs on a scarf set, and Gengar is taken down by flare blitz. Its actually pretty freakin amazing at taking down fast threats. And while its attack isn't great, it makes up for it with high powered moves in close combat and flare blitz. Its an iffy pokemon because there's a lot of pokemon that just don't care if Infernape's in. Gyarados, Azumarill, Dragonite, and a lot more can switch in and take advantage of his lack of coverage, so if you use him, you have to be very selective with your targets.

I agree on his utility, but you do have to be very careful of who you keep him around nowadays. Though rare, Belly-Jet Azumarill is far more terrifying to it than anything else, IMO (yes, yes, not many ppl actually run that). But anyhow, he still does a great job of cleaning up if the right threats are out of the picture.

I really like Infernape this gen. Immunity to burn, neutral to fairy and access to Iron Fist boosted Close Combat just cannot be ignored. I feel like, there is basicly no reason to not run a physical set on infernape because how powerful hits it can dish out from that side, aspecially agains common fairies like Azumarill and Togekiss.

I really like Infernape this gen. Immunity to burn, neutral to fairy and access to Iron Fist boosted Close Combat just cannot be ignored. I feel like, there is basicly no reason to not run a physical set on infernape because how powerful hits it can dish out from that side, aspecially agains common fairies like Azumarill and Togekiss.
Unless something changed this gen, Iron Fist doesn't boost CC.

MixNape likes to rape teams from all over. That was Gen 5, at least. This Gen, Nape seems to be looking a little down compared to before. weather nerf means it can no longer sun nuke as effectively, and it doesn't really have a way to deal with most fairies beyond Poison Jab, which can be hard pressed to fit into sets at times. But it is still no means a bad Pokemon. I haven't done any real testing so far, so any real calculations we be given later. Just wanted my opinion on this.

Btw, please take out Fake Out and Acrobatics from the OP. Beyond Focus Sash, Acro is pretty much useless now, and Fake Out is just awful on the guy.

I am running Hasty 200Atk. 56SpA. 252Spe.
@Lifeorb
-Mach punch
-CC
-Thunderpunch
-Overheat

Overheat 2HKOS Gliscor and is walled less by other physical bulks. This set is very powerful, surprising and solid IMO after many games with it.

I have ran this set:
Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Fire Punch
- Mach Punch
- Thunder Punch

and this set:

George (Infernape) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 248 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Slack Off
- Grass Knot
- Focus Blast

Both work well, but one is to fit a role for a special sweeper, the first being a good physical attacker and counter lead.

Been running this set on showdown:
Burn Lee (Infernape) (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 116 SAtk / 140 Atk
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Gunk Shot

If this works for a noob like me it'll work for anybody XD

MixNape likes to rape teams from all over. That was Gen 5, at least. This Gen, Nape seems to be looking a little down compared to before. weather nerf means it can no longer sun nuke as effectively, and it doesn't really have a way to deal with most fairies beyond Poison Jab, which can be hard pressed to fit into sets at times. But it is still no means a bad Pokemon. I haven't done any real testing so far, so any real calculations we be given later. Just wanted my opinion on this.

Btw, please take out Fake Out and Acrobatics from the OP. Beyond Focus Sash, Acro is pretty much useless now, and Fake Out is just awful on the guy.
Infernape actually loves the weather nerf, as he can be used on non-weather teams now without fear of being ruined by rain. I agree on fake out, though - I could only see it getting use on an anti-lead set, which isn't that great an idea in the first place.

Been running this set on showdown:
Burn Lee (Infernape) (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 116 SAtk / 140 Atk
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Gunk Shot

If this works for a noob like me it'll work for anybody XD
Pretty much the set I'd been trying out. Though I opted for Fire Blast instead of Overheat and used a 168Atk/88SpAtk spread, which is the minimum attack investment needed to 1HKO 252/0 Heatran with Close Combat (168 Atk Life Orb Infernape Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 390-460 (101 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO). Gunk shot is surprisingly useful against faeries with its new buffed accuracy (70 -> 80) certainly more notable than Poison Jab and significantly stronger than 252 Iron Fist Thunder Punches against the likes of Azumarill and Togekiss.

168 Atk Life Orb Infernape Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 328-387 (81.1 - 95.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 265-312 (65.5 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
168 Atk Life Orb Infernape Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 283-335 (75.6 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 229-270 (61.2 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
168 Atk Life Orb Infernape Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 385-455 (97.7 - 115.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Infernape Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 309-367 (78.4 - 93.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Infernape actually loves the weather nerf
I mean't sun nuking in particular, and Infen-rape actually had a place on rain teams, as it was often one of the few pokemon that could function in rain bar one of it's STABs while countering / checking Sun too (no sun sweeper wanted boosted flare blitz to it). but yeah, I suppose you could be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)