OU - No Preview

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Approved by Arcticblast

Overview

The premise of this alternate metagame is simple; it eliminates team preview, one of the most significant changes Competitive Pokemon has ever received, and makes slight adjustments to the ban list to accommodate that change. As many of you may remember, OU without team preview in Generation IV had many traits that OU in the present no longer possesses. One of them is a lead metagame, consisting of suicide leads, anti leads, and bulky leads that had a variety of purposes, such as laying down hazards as quickly and efficiently as possible, preventing the opponent from doing the same, or both. Another concept that is absent from the current metagame is scouting members of the opponent's team, which used to be facilitated by U-Turn, as well as pHazing. This metagame attempts to revive these ideals in the context of Generation VI, in order to increase the viability of several Pokemon, and give rise to new strategies.

Ban Policy

Bans (including Pokemon and clauses) will be kept in line with those on the standard OU list, unless a threat appears to be drastically more broken in this metagame.

Ban List

Pokemon

Arceus
Blaziken
Darkrai
Deoxys
Deoxys-A
Deoxys-D
Deoxys-S
Dialga
Genesect
Giratina
Giratina-O
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Kyurem-W
Lugia
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Shaymin-S
Xerneas
Yveltal
Zekrom

Abilities

Moody

Items

Gengarite
Kangaskhanite
Lucarionite

Official Server

http://joimslab.psim.us/

Last edited:
I am going to play this heavily if it becomes implemented. It's a fantastic idea to see what the metagame would be like if it had no TP like ADV or DPP.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Imposter Ditto is something else that wasn't present before team preview, so that's something to look out for as it pretty much stops setup just for the possibility of existing, and it's a lot better now with Megas and stuff

This is the simplest change for a meta I have ever seen. In saying that, it is goddamn brilliant. Dedicated leads? More mindgames? Zoroark and Ditto being more useful? Gimme.

Also, lategame cleaner concealment. I like this. I like this a lot. I really missed not having team preview in Gen V. While it did allow you to scope out your opponent, it made you vulnerable to having certain mons killed so your foe could execute a sweep.

Jellicent's triple immunity and bucketful of resists, on top of bulk, is going to make things interesting.

Zoroarkkkkk Zoroarkkkkkkkkkkk finally the one metagame that it wishes it was in! Unfortunately his stats are still decidedly average, but the mindgames that it'll bring will be very interesting.

Suicide leads are probably going to be uncommon now compared to gen 4 given that you have more potent and threatening ways to remove hazards in the form of Defog (and Excadrill / Megatoise). In gen 4 the spinner selection was basically Forretress (no offensive presence other than explosion, but you have more utility now in volt switch at the cost of FIVE HUNDRED POWAR BOOM), Starmie (strong offensive presence, but not the bulkiest of things) and Tentacruel (a spdef version of forry), and more niche options like Hitmontop.
Probably slower, bulkier leads with the ability to setup SR and live attacks?

I'm kind of going to like Wobbuffet here. That CounterCoating is going to be really good here, without TP. Unfortunately it still wishes Encore was more than 3 turns.

But the biggest one is going to be the most overused Pokemon in the Ubers of previous gens. No, it's not Ferrothorn: I'm talking about Charizard. You don't even know what the fuck it's going to evolve into, and bringing in the wrong counter can and will fuck up your game. At least with TP you can still guess what Charizard's mega will be. You don't have that luxury here!

Well, I'm doing the same. I mean it's like removing Team Preview ruleset from OU and boom, OU - No Preview.

Will edit this post when it's implemented.

Edit: I've added it in my Server, Voyage.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
This is actually playable on any server, just challenge someone to a custom game with no team preview.
Yes, but those custom games are not subject to banlist nuances, such as the bans I made to the Deoxys-formes. Of course, both players could agree to just not use them, and that's fine.

I'd just like to say that trappers, in particular Dugtrio, are a lot more viable due to their ability to switch in on Heatran / Tyranitar without having to worry about being played around.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yes. I'm all for this. One of the biggest reasons why B/W (both as a game and competitively) were terrible was because of Team Preview.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Yes. I'm all for this. One of the biggest reasons why B/W (both as a game and competitively) were terrible was because of Team Preview.
I think people hate on team preview too much. I know I'm posting in the 'no preview OU' thread so please forgive the irony of not hating team preview /that much/
Team preview was actually a kind addition that B/W brought (which is rare to see). It essentially disabled stupid mind game gimmicks like gyaravire and ended the retarded guessing game that was the 'lead metagame'. It also strained good team building arguably(which unfortunately the rest of BW didn't), instead of seeing "who's gonna come up wit the biggest anti-lead' you're strained to pick actual good pokes. I have played older gens and I have found that the problem with BW is the pile of crap and unbalancedness Game freak fit into a meta such as drizzle and kyurem-b.

edit: I still support this meta, just sharing my thoughts

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Deoxys-D and Deoxys-S are fundamentally different when there's no Team Preview because they warp the lead metagame entirely around themselves. I banned Genesect and Lucarionite mainly because they're (almost certainly) moments away from being banned in the standard metagame.

Meinshao may also be a decent Anti-Lead, carrying Fake Out/Hi Jump Kick/Knock Off to disrupt and U-Turn to scout + Regenerator to be able to last beyond the early-game even with an LO, the fact that Azelf (If that's getting use again) is faster/Carries Psychic is a bit of a problem though. Phazing may also be a staple of balanced teams to help reveal the enemy team against their will

I agree that Zoroark is a lot more interesting now that he isn't revealed pre match anymore. Though with his frailty I don't know HOW good he'll exactly be.

Overall this Metagame might be a bit more dynamic than standard now that the early game is a bit more fleshed out and you can sorta hold Wildcard in the back for a while and then bring them out to try and turn things over.

Suicide leads are probably going to be uncommon now compared to gen 4 given that you have more potent and threatening ways to remove hazards in the form of Defog (and Excadrill / Megatoise).
Probably slower, bulkier leads with the ability to setup SR and live attacks?
This was already becoming the norm in leads towards the end of the gen4 meta game, I believe. Metagross, Heatran and Swampert we're becoming the leads of choice. However, anti-leads like Aerodactyl and Azelf were still common. However, with Metagross, you were allowed to live hits, and then Explode at a later time, like when your rocks were guaranteed to stay up.

This meta game would be cool, I imagine Greninja will appreciate this meta game a lot more than one with preview. It's already okay-ish, but now I think it's going to be a lot better. More mons that will love this are megamons. Now you don't get to assume what mega they will bring, or if they even will, and you can't make plays based off of that mega they have chosen. It will definitely be interesting to see what mega (Charizard) will be the most used... Jk not really hahahahaha.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Machamp was becoming the norm towards the end of DPPt OU, and Azelf and Aerodactyl were suicide leads, not anti-leads.

But yeah, consistent and bulky leads were always the best imo, they guarantee rocks and they don't instantly die in a turn or two.

Not to forget that U-turn/Volt Switch will be used to scout teams again (scarf flygon, anyone? :p), and not only gain momentum like in BW/XY.

Hey, The Eevee General and I approved this as an OM without knowing this thread existed, but I was excited for it.

So hi! Five month necrobump to revive this.

Removing Team Preview is both a subtle and a drastic change. On one hand, only one thing is being changed from regular OU in this OM, but on the other hand, Team Preview has been an enormous part of the game since its introduction in BW. With Team Preview, the way the game is played is altered quite drastically. No longer can you analyze the opponent's team and decide your win condition and your general strategy before you even choose your lead. On a similar note, you are stuck with your lead and can't adjust based on the opponent's potential lead or their team in general. Identifying weaknesses and exploiting them is really difficult when the opponent has yet to reveal part of their team.

All in all, it really is a very different metagame. The way the metagame looks will probably still be quite similar to how OU looks, but there is room for nuances. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, Zoroark has more room to play around in this metagame, and VoltTurn will probably see more usage than before. Suicide hazard leads get some buffs (your opponent can't lead with a counter to them) and nerfs (Defog—though the potential to run a Defiant Pokemon is even more frightening than before).

What do you guys think about this metagame? What general strategies do you think get better and worse? What specific Pokemon do you think get better and worse? Who is going to be the first person to lose to me in this metagame?

I think Wobbuffet should be banned. I'm pretty sure that it got banned in Gen IV due to how threatening it was without Team Preview.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
I think Wobbuffet should be banned. I'm pretty sure that it got banned in Gen IV due to how threatening it was without Team Preview.
*facepalm* Wobbu, was never fucking tested in Gen 4 :/. The only reason Wobbu was "broken" was due to a combination of theorymonning and how powerful countercoat encore was in gen 4, with new trapping immunities and stronger mons, it's very much so possible to handle it.

Please do your research

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Can you say Sash Azelf?

I'm definitely going to have to try this sometime. I remember back during RSE when the concept of Team Preview was thought of, and I hated it. I don't mind it now, but it's still fun to play without it because of the mindgames it creates, as well as how cautious you have to play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)