Equilibrium

Hello, I'm new to the forums on here (this is my first post ever) but i have been playing around on pokemon showdown for quite a long time. I have made all sorts of teams (most of which involve dumb gimmicks like my amazing healing wish stall team) and this was by far my most successful. The biggest asset this team has is that is doesn't rely on any single pokemon or condition to win. It doesn't need entry hazards, it doesn't need weather, and it doesn't need massive stat boosts. Instead it focuses on trying to cover every threat while dealing constant damage to the opposing team. The playstyle is very balanced and trys to keep everything in check which is why I dubbed it equilibrium.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Excaliber (Aegislash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Swords Dance
- King's Shield
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak

The first pokemon on my team is Aegislash. Aegislash is the perfect pokemon for this team, and I honestly don't believe this team would function without him. He has the amazing ability to act as a powerful wall, but still be able to take out a large number of enemies with his great attacking prowess. He basically works as two pokemon in one, both a reliable physical sweeper and a defensive wall. This ability to kill two birds with one stone lets me run other options as my sixth pokemon. As for his movepool, it is more or less a standard aegislash movepool. The only real difference is that i chose to use iron head instead of sacred sword so i can nail fairies with him as I have no other fairy counter. I also chose to use 0 speed ivs because aegislash always wants to be slower then it's opponant.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alucard (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 Def / 252 HP / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Protect

The next pokemon on this team is Gliscor. I am using the toxic stall set of gliscor because it helps me remove any threat that my other pokemon can't check. The sheer power of this thing is insane. He can effectively take out any pokemon that doesn't kill him before he toxics them, and with his large bulk and decent speed, those pokemon are hard to find. He also works well as a counter for the ground types who threaten Eve, as he is immune to their earthquakes and can finish them off with his toxic stall. Gliscors attack stat is also respectable and his stab earthquake lets me ohko heatran and seriously maim the steel types who try to switch into his toxics.
Eve (Florges) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Moonblast

For my third pokemon, I chose florges. Florges is an amazing special wall who doubles as my teams cleric. Status moves (specifically burns on aegislash) cause some major problems for this team, so i chose to run aromatherapy to remove them. With her ability to wall most special attackers and status inflicters, finding time to cure herself and her teammates is a breeze. I also chose to run the rest-talk combo because it greatly increases her longevity and couples pretty well with aromatherapy. It also heals more for her then wish does and my team doesn't really require wish support. She also has a rather good special attack stat which lets her pound dragons into submission and injure many other switch ins to her.
Glitch (Porygon-Z) @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Agility

The fourth pokemon for my team also happens to be the newest addition (replacing focus sash alakazam). I use porygon-z as a brutally strong special attacker, and he is perfect for this job. He has decent enough bulk to take at least a hit, and his gigantic special attack stat plus adaptability and life orb lets him ko many common threats and seriously injure the others. The only real issue with him is his mediocre speed which can be patched up by agility. I chose to run dark pulse to nail those ghost types who are immune to his tri attacks and i choose ice beam because gliscor is a pain to deal with without it and it can help to hit those dragons that are 4 times weak to it (specifically garchomp)
PuffTheMagicDragon (Salamence) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Hydro Pump
- Flamethrower
- Roost

The other relatively new addition to this team is salamence. This salamence fills so many roles on this team. He works a a defogger to remove the entry hazzards that plague this team, is my sole user of water and fire attacks, and can tank a large sum of pokemon. Now I'm sure many of you may think that a pokemon like dragonite would be better suited for this role, and normally i would say you are right. With this team, however, I think Salemence provides something that dragonite can't (at the cost of a bit of bulk). The majority of this team is rather weak to physical moves, and the utility intimidate provides to cripple many threatening physical attackers such as talonflame is invaluable. He also has the added bonus of being able to not only remove the hazards of many setup pokemon like ferrothorn and skarmory, but also ko them with flamethrower.
Shinigami (Absol) @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Fire Blast
- Protect

Absol is and always has been my favorite pokemon, however, it sadly isn't the greatest when used in a real battle. It has horrendous defenses that basically mean it dies from a single hit and above average but still not perfect speed. This means he either must switch in to a psychicc type attack or a status move. It does however have the honor of tying with the colossal beasts groudon, rayquaza, and normal deoxys in terms of attack power. To go along with this it has stab on one of the most powerful priority attacks in the game with sucker punch. This works well with his wonderful ability of magic bounce, forcing your opponents to attack him to kill him. In my opinion, these facts alone justify the usage of him. Even with all this going for him absol still runs into one major problem. During the turn he mega evolves absol has to use his old awful speed. That is why i run protect, so i can bypass the first turn where he is terribly slow. I run sucker punch due to it's priority and high damage. I run fire blast to take out many of the pesky physical steel types who try to wall him. The most abnormal thing on his set however is that i neglect to run play rough in favor of running sword dance. In my opinion play rough adds very little to absol. Yes it allows him to his fighting types, but due to the large usage mach punch, he almost never gets to use it. Thats why i chose to instead run swords dance. Swords dance lets absol work as a very effective late game sweeper, as he can switch in on a status abuser, reflect the status, then set up a swords dance on the switch. Once absol has a swords dance set up there are very few things that can stop it's reign of terror.
Overall this team works very well but there are a few pokemon who it just has to fold to. the biggest threat that I have noticed is tentacruel. Tentacruel has the perfect typing and the massive bulk to effectively defeat my team. I can't toxic stall it with gliscor due to it's poison type, I can't try to trade blows with florges due it its poison attacks, and none of my pokemon have moves that can majorly threaten it. The best I can do it hit it with porygon-z's tri attack, but that isn't all that effective. Basically tentacruel counters this entire team.

One other issue I have is beating rest-talk rotom-w. I have faced these multiple times and just like with Tentacruel it turns into me trying to kill it with porygon-z which is sketchy at best. Usually what will happen is a stall war between it and florges where neither of us can harm the other. Any suggestions you can give to help me deal with these two menaces would be appreciated. Any other changes you think should be made would be helpful as well.

Other miscellaneous threats:
-scizor both mega and non mega
-talonflame though this is partially solved with salamence
-many other bulky water types

Edit: tried to make this look good, sadly i do not know how to insert pictures so i could not add them in.

Last edited:
I am aware that you have Dark Pulse on Porygon-Z to get rid of Ghost-Types but I suggest replacing it with Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt will help you with Tentacruel and other bulky waters; Aegislash's Shadow Sneak and Absol's Sucker Punch will easily take care of any Ghost-Types that may be troubling your team.

Replace Protect on Mega-Absol with Play Rough. It will help against opposing Fighting-Types, Dragon-Types, and Dark-Types. Play Rough gives you much better coverage on Mega-Absol and gives him the potential to become a force to be reckoned with. Pretty solid team. Well done.

I am aware that you have Dark Pulse on Porygon-Z to get rid of Ghost-Types but I suggest replacing it with Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt will help you with Tentacruel and other bulky waters; Aegislash's Shadow Sneak and Absol's Sucker Punch will easily take care of any Ghost-Types that may be troubling your team.

Replace Protect on Mega-Absol with Play Rough. It will help against opposing Fighting-Types, Dragon-Types, and Dark-Types. Play Rough gives you much better coverage on Mega-Absol and gives him the potential to become a force to be reckoned with. Pretty solid team. Well done.
I'll try out the thing with thunderbolt on porygon-z, as it seems like that may help alleviate many of my problems. I will also attempt switching out protect for play rough on mega absol, but I'm not so sure how successful it will be. Absol likes to mega evolve as quick as possible so he can fully utilize magic bounce, and without protect he gets killed before mega evolving can occur. I also doubt the real value of play rough on him as the fighting types it's supposed to help me beat usually run Mach punch which will kill absol before he gets to do anything. However, this is just me speculating and It could very well work out much better in practice. Either way thanks for the advice and I'll be sure to give what you said a go.

If Play Rough doesn't work too well on Fighting-Types then it would still be helpful against Dragon-Types and opposing Dark-Types.

Hello.

Nice team you have here, I like the use of Mega Absol so props to you on that. I also like the originality of the team.

Couple of issues I see on this team is as you aforementioned, you have a big Talonflame weakness, as if you let it set up a Swords Dance it's GG pretty much. I also see this team getting wrecked by the likes of Mega Charizard Y which is fairly common.

Your team doesn't have a whole lot of speed, so common scarfers like Rotom-W get the jump on you which isn't very good.

You also said that you have a decent Scizor/ Mega Scizor weakness, which is not good no bueno.

So with the issues poited out, time for the rate:

Salamence just doesn't work as a defogger, I have tried it, it really doesn't work. So I recommend you try out a Life Orb Latios over Salamence as it pretty much fulfills the same role that your salamence set already does. And it has way higher Special Attack at base 130 and it is also Slightly faster and it can get defog. And it pretty much outclass Salamence in every way as a defogger and as a Special Attacker. Latios helps with your issue vs Tentacruel and Rotom-W as it pretty much destroys em with Psyshock and Draco Meteor, respectively. And Latios, unlike Salamence, is not weak to the thing that it gets rid of, which is of course, Stealth Rock.

If you hate Talonflame that much, you can try out Heatran over either Aegislash or Gliscor to help with the Talonflame and Scizor/ Mega Scizor problems, as Heatran will pretty much force out any Talonflame. And Scizor won't appreciate a Lava Plume to the face, and Heatran also provides Stealth Rock support, which might seem counter-productive with Defog, but getting rid of rocks on your side of the field at the cost of possibly removing rocks from your oppoenent's side of the field is not that badm as if you save Heatran you can just set them back up.

I would also agree on Snowstar's sugegstion in trying out Play Rough over Protect, in my honest opinion Protect is not necessary on Absol because it just takes up a moveslot and considering Absol has kind of a severe case of 4MSS (Four Move Slot Syndrom) Play Rough provides fantastic coverage as it can hit Fighting types and Dragon types like the common Dragonite and Garchomp. Not like Absol is going to stay in on a Mach Punch from a Conkeldurr.

You can also Porygon-Z a Choice Scarf set which means you can get to run Thunderbolt if you still find Tentacruel a problem. Porygon-Z is a oretty decent scarfer, at least in my opinion so that's why you should give it a shot. You won't hit as hard, but you can outspeed stuff with it, which is normally better.

You can also try out Knock Off over Substitute or Protect on Gliscor (if you decide to keep Gliscor) so Gengar can't completely shut down your set and force you to switch out, and most players don't expect Knock Off on Gliscor.

Don't forget

Sets:

Heatran @ Leftovers/Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EV's: 248 HP / 8 Spe / 252 SDef
IV's: 0 Atk
Calm Nature
-Lava Plume
-Earth Power
-Stealth Rock
-Toxic/Roar/Will-O-Wisp

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EV's: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature
-Defog
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-Surf/Thunderbolt

Also don't forget to run 0 IV's in attack on Florges and Porygon-Z so foul play doesn't cause you much damage.

Hope you find these suggestions helpful, or at least thought-provoking.

Good luck and welcome to the smogon forums! :D

Hello.

Nice team you have here, I like the use of Mega Absol so props to you on that. I also like the originality of the team.

Couple of issues I see on this team is as you aforementioned, you have a big Talonflame weakness, as if you let it set up a Swords Dance it's GG pretty much. I also see this team getting wrecked by the likes of Mega Charizard Y which is fairly common.

Your team doesn't have a whole lot of speed, so common scarfers like Rotom-W get the jump on you which isn't very good.

You also said that you have a decent Scizor/ Mega Scizor weakness, which is not good no bueno.

So with the issues poited out, time for the rate:

Salamence just doesn't work as a defogger, I have tried it, it really doesn't work. So I recommend you try out a Life Orb Latios over Salamence as it pretty much fulfills the same role that your salamence set already does. And it has way higher Special Attack at base 130 and it is also Slightly faster and it can get defog. And it pretty much outclass Salamence in every way as a defogger and as a Special Attacker. Latios helps with your issue vs Tentacruel and Rotom-W as it pretty much destroys em with Psyshock and Draco Meteor, respectively. And Latios, unlike Salamence, is not weak to the thing that it gets rid of, which is of course, Stealth Rock.

If you hate Talonflame that much, you can try out Heatran over either Aegislash or Gliscor to help with the Talonflame and Scizor/ Mega Scizor problems, as Heatran will pretty much force out any Talonflame. And Scizor won't appreciate a Lava Plume to the face, and Heatran also provides Stealth Rock support, which might seem counter-productive with Defog, but getting rid of rocks on your side of the field at the cost of possibly removing rocks from your oppoenent's side of the field is not that badm as if you save Heatran you can just set them back up.

I would also agree on Snowstar's sugegstion in trying out Play Rough over Protect, in my honest opinion Protect is not necessary on Absol because it just takes up a moveslot and considering Absol has kind of a severe case of 4MSS (Four Move Slot Syndrom) Play Rough provides fantastic coverage as it can hit Fighting types and Dragon types like the common Dragonite and Garchomp. Not like Absol is going to stay in on a Mach Punch from a Conkeldurr.

You can also Porygon-Z a Choice Scarf set which means you can get to run Thunderbolt if you still find Tentacruel a problem. Porygon-Z is a oretty decent scarfer, at least in my opinion so that's why you should give it a shot. You won't hit as hard, but you can outspeed stuff with it, which is normally better.

You can also try out Knock Off over Substitute or Protect on Gliscor (if you decide to keep Gliscor) so Gengar can't completely shut down your set and force you to switch out, and most players don't expect Knock Off on Gliscor.

Don't forget

Sets:

Heatran @ Leftovers/Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EV's: 248 HP / 8 Spe / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
-Lava Plume
-Earth Power
-Stealth Rock
-Toxic/Roar/Will-O-Wisp

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EV's: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature
-Defog
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-Surf/Thunderbolt

Also don't forget to run 0 IV's in attack on Florges and Porygon-Z so foul play doesn't cause you much damage.

Hope you find these suggestions helpful, or at least thought-provoking.

Good luck and welcome to the smogon forums! :D
Thank you, that was very helpful. I had completely forgotten about having the zero attack ivs on those two. I'll also try out the Latios set and see how that fares.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)