Pokémon Malamar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Malamar in doubles paired with Chanduler. Chanduler uses overheat,gets -2 SA, then I use tipsy turfy on it to get it to a +2.

I use Malamar in doubles paired with Chanduler. Chanduler uses overheat,gets -2 SA, then I use tipsy turfy on it to get it to a +2.
Wow, I never thought of using Topsy-Turvey, techincally that means he's a great partner for any dragon as well, firing off draco meteors and malamar supporting it with topsy-turvy. Not grass types however due to both being weak to bug, but it can work with some sweepers like Victreebel or Venusaur in sun.

I was thinking about using Malamar and Chandelure in Trick Room together in doubles, I was wondering what Nature and EV spread I should use on Malamar? Here are the sets I was thinking about

Malamar:
Contrary
-Superpower
-Night Slash/Reflect/Light Screen
-Topsy-Turvy
-Trick Room

Chandelure:
Infiltrator
- Overheat
- Memento
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

The general strategy I had thought of would be to use Malamar to set Trick Room and then use Topsy-Turvy on Chandelure after he uses Overheat. I included Memento on Chandelure to cripple a counter or to use it on Malamar himself since Contrary would reverse it. I'd like Malamar to be pretty bulky overall since his main function is support and he can boost his own attack. What do you guys think?

Just making sure. Burn does not get the inverse effect of contrary? i understand it needs "set" stat boost/drops, so paralysis would not work. but burn is treated as a -1 to attack correct? I'm probably just being over-hopeful.

Onto a different matter. Has no one considered a bulky choice band set? I realize how silly that may sound at first, but remember malamar is a unique pokemon requiring unorthodox kits. Getting locked into an already +1 superpower is quite nice considering you will be boosting. Having that +1 already means you won't have to always use superpower since your stab moves should be able to kill now.

Here's what I had in mind personally:

CuttleBand
Ability:
Contrary
Nature: Adamant / Impish / Careful
Evs: 252 Hp / 216 Defense / 40 Attack or 252 Hp / 216 Spec. Def. / 40 Attack
Item: Choice Band
Moveset:
Superpower
Night Slash
Psycho Cut
Rock Slide

In my opinion, the impish set seems like the best way to go considering most people will lean toward spamming superpower til you die; which in turn will make you one thick physical wall. You're not the fastest threat obviously, but you hit quite hard and you can absolutely take hits too! However the Careful set brings it's own merits, and once again if you plan on spamming superpower: you'll have all around good bulk. Adamant set if you really really want to smack things. Obviously it's not going to be winning many races, but that's not the point as this is a bulkier set.

Just some stats for example on the impish set:

40 Atk Choice Band Malamar Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Lucario: 282-332 (100.3 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs.
252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Malamar: 230-272 (61.1 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Malamar: 78-92 (20.7 - 24.4%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

40 Atk Choice Band Malamar Psycho Cut vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mienshao: 336-396 (123.9 - 146.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs.
252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao U-turn vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Malamar: 317-374 (84.3 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

40 Atk Choice Band Malamar Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 156-186 (48.1 - 57.4%) -- 43.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
40 Atk Choice Band Malamar Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 384-452 (118.5 - 139.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs.
252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Malamar: 66-78 (17.5 - 20.7%) -- possible 5HKO

Yes i know, mienshao u-turning out means you aren't ohkoing it. I gaurentee many people will be foolish enough to switch one in on you though. The fact that you can survive the 4x weakness smack from something that hits quite hard is impressive.

Thoughts anyone?

I've been running Malamar lately alongside Klefki and Rotom-H, and I've actually been very impressed by how he has gone. Malamar makes a great late game cleaner when used in conjunction with those two, as with burns and paralysis being thrown around, Malamar's patchy speed and defense is fixed. I use Assault Vest for the spec defense, and Klefki with dual screens gives even more durability to boost up with. Rotom H makes a great switchin for those bug and fairy moves Malamar hates.

Oh, and with the Rock Slide coverage you can play the ParaFlinch game to get stuff into Superpower range.

Last edited:
I think a big question for Malamar on its ev spread is, are there any pokemon its close to outspeeding but doesn't with no investment?
if so how many speed evs should be used before the rest are devoted to bulk/attack

I use malamar with ninjask, passing on +6 speed and+ 2 attack onto it, making it incredibly fast. I put 252 in attack, 126 in defense, and 130 in sp. defense with adamant nature. Its been incredibly effective, with superpower, night slash, psycho cut, and rock slide. I give it an assault vest. Also Upstart, why would you consider foul play on a pokemon continually boosting its defense? Just doesnt make sense.

I'm not sure that Choice-locking Malamar is such a good idea, if you get locked into Superpower and then your opponent switches in a Ghost type…

Malamar doesn't switch in very well, and his other moves don't have a high enough base power to use continuously.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-81954732. Some of you might find it funny.
Mega Pinsir: Megahorn? Heck No. I'll just return and ensure that my team loses!

I use malamar with ninjask, passing on +6 speed and+ 2 attack onto it, making it incredibly fast. I put 252 in attack, 126 in defense, and 130 in sp. defense with adamant nature. Its been incredibly effective, with superpower, night slash, psycho cut, and rock slide. I give it an assault vest. Also Upstart, why would you consider foul play on a pokemon continually boosting its defense? Just doesnt make sense.
Are you using it in the lower tiers or OU. If the latter you could also use Scolipede in place of Ninjask.

Anything can be good after baton pass. Even Magikarp and Unown can sweep teams with some baton passing.

It actually doesn't, but it has Trick Room, which I want to say is near the same thing.
Never liked Trick Room. If there was an item that extended trick room like the weather/screens extending items, Trick Room would be a much better strategy. But without it, its a risky strategy that requires multiple Pokemons to waste a moveslot in order to maintain trick room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)