I personally run the following set

Malamar@Focus Sash
Ability: Contrary
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

-Hypnosis
-Superpower
-Night Slash
-Psycho Cut

I mean, sure it falls apart if Hypnosis misses... But that's why I have the sash. Otherwise I might run wide Lens to ensure a hypnosis.

I personally run the following set

Malamar@Focus Sash
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

-Hypnosis
-Superpower
-Night Slash
-Psycho Cut

I mean, sure it falls apart if Hypnosis misses... But that's why I have the sash. Otherwise I might run wide Lens to ensure a hypnosis.
using Wide Lens would still make it have only 77% accuracy

I've found that for my Malamar some diversity worked very well....
Here's my current set for competitive use.
Malamar @ Muscle Band or Focus Sash
Nature: Adamant
IVs: Speed, HP, Attack
Evs: 252 Spe, 127 Atk, 127 HP

Moveset:
Hypnosis
Topsy-turvey/ Night Slash
Psyco Cut
Superpower

While testing this set online I have discovered that an IVd speed invested Malamar will actually manage to outspeed the majority of pokemon that seem to be widely used. However, some pokemon will still outspeed no matter what due to Malamar's average speed stat. For this reason, I often set up a hypnosis first thing in the game. Due to the HP investment, you will often live the first hit if outsped, and the hypnosis then gives you several free turns to set up with Superpower as the opponent sleeps. Afterwards, you can often clean up with psyco cut or night slash even if it is resisted due to the muscle band and numerous stat boosts. I prefer to maintain Topsy-Turvey on my set when running focus sash instead of muscle band, as not only will Malamar continue to be a serious powerhouse offensively, but also this allows you to switch into a sweeper that has stat boosted (such as dragonite) and completely stop the sweep. Simply live from the focus sash and hit with topsy-turvey after.

As for other options, I have found that a choice scarfed Malamar with several PP ups used on superpower can also work well to do fast damage, as with the stat boosts that come with it you could do some serious work.

Anyways, this is just my opinion stuff... thanks for taking the time to read it if you did!

I've found that for my Malamar some diversity worked very well....
Here's my current set for competitive use.
Malamar @ Muscle Band or Focus Sash
Nature: Adamant
IVs: Speed, HP, Attack
Evs: 252 Spe, 127 Atk, 127 HP

Moveset:
Hypnosis
Topsy-turvey/ Night Slash
Psyco Cut
Superpower

While testing this set online I have discovered that an IVd speed invested Malamar will actually manage to outspeed the majority of pokemon that seem to be widely used. However, some pokemon will still outspeed no matter what due to Malamar's average speed stat. For this reason, I often set up a hypnosis first thing in the game. Due to the HP investment, you will often live the first hit if outsped, and the hypnosis then gives you several free turns to set up with Superpower as the opponent sleeps. Afterwards, you can often clean up with psyco cut or night slash even if it is resisted due to the muscle band and numerous stat boosts. I prefer to maintain Topsy-Turvey on my set when running focus sash instead of muscle band, as not only will Malamar continue to be a serious powerhouse offensively, but also this allows you to switch into a sweeper that has stat boosted (such as dragonite) and completely stop the sweep. Simply live from the focus sash and hit with topsy-turvey after.

As for other options, I have found that a choice scarfed Malamar with several PP ups used on superpower can also work well to do fast damage, as with the stat boosts that come with it you could do some serious work.

Anyways, this is just my opinion stuff... thanks for taking the time to read it if you did!
Muscle band is a fairly bad item. Also, that EV distribution is terrible. Why do you have 127 in Atk and HP? I've seen no evidence in this thread that Malamar is at all viable in OU, nor have I seen any usage in the hundreds of battles I've played on the upper-OU ladder.

I think it's the 4x weakness to bug that really hurts malamar. With a standard 2x weakness, assault vest/sp.def investment and superpower he'd become pretty hard to break after a boost, but the 4x weakness means pretty much anything with a bug move can bowl through you at any level of boosts.

If he was given prankster, psycho boost (lol pls) or even sucker punch and he'd be a lot more viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)