Pokémon Greninja

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please just stop with the gimmicky physical sets and sets with Torrent. Physical Greninja is just so terrible. Please, let's just all stick to Special Sets, the only sets it really should be running. Torrent is also so terrible, no point in even mentioning it. It doesn't take that much brainpower to learn that a 50% boost to Water-type moves at low health isn't as fucking amazing as a 50% boost to all attacks. Please and thank you.

Mmmkay... Well I guess I could use this.....

Special Entry Hazard Greninja(If you say so)
Nature: Timid
Evs: 252 sp attack, 252 speed, 4 sp defense
Item: Life orb
Moveset: Spikes/Toxic Spikes
Scald
Ice Beam
Grass Knot
Ability: Protean

Basically first you spikes, then attack with ridiculously powerful attacks.

Does that cure your woes on the physical greninja I suggested? Because It's Protean and a specially oriented Greninja?

Mmmkay... Well I guess I could use this.....

Item: Life orb
Scald
Ice Beam
Grass Knot

Basically first you spikes, then attack with ridiculously powerful attacks.

Does that cure your woes on the physical greninja I suggested? Because It's Protean and a specially oriented Greninja?
Brittle Greninja with life orb and no guarantee that the hazards will be set up without getting murdered by priority moves or stuff that outspeed it?Not something I would do, but you never know.

Item: Focus Sash
Scald
Ice Beam
Grass Knot

Is that better?

What do you guys of my Greninja set.

Greninja @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Quiet Nature

- Spikes
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

I can usually get at least 1 layer of spikes in against a rotom-wash lead as they go for volt switch and I am immune after I go first. Grass knot is great for mamoswine/quagsire/tyranitar. I think it works better than HP Grass.

Thoughts?

Greninja @ Life Orb
Quiet Nature

- Spikes
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

I can usually get at least 1 layer of spikes in against a rotom-wash lead as they go for volt switch and I am immune after I go first. Grass knot is great for mamoswine/quagsire/tyranitar. I think it works better than HP Grass.

Thoughts?
This is actually very similar to Greninja's standard Spikes set, which is this:

Spikes
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Hydro Pump
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Extrasensory
ability: Protean
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid
(although this one has 4 Atk EV's which it shouldn't, they should be in Def ._.)

Generally Extrasensory is preferred as a coverage move since it 2HKO's Venusaur, one of Greninja's main counters. Hydro Pump is also preferred over Surf since you need the extra power. Grass Knot vs. HP Grass is really up to you though; I prefer HP Grass since it does more to Rotom-W who is light as shit, but if you so desire to have Grass-type coverage then Grass Knot will work fine.

Also why do you have a Quiet nature? Is that an error?

Spikes
(although this one has 4 Atk EV's which it shouldn't, they should be in Def ._.)

Generally Extrasensory is preferred as a coverage move since it 2HKO's Venusaur, one of Greninja's main counters. Hydro Pump is also preferred over Surf since you need the extra power. Grass Knot vs. HP Grass is really up to you though; I prefer HP Grass since it does more to Rotom-W who is light as shit, but if you so desire to have Grass-type coverage then Grass Knot will work fine.

Yeah thats a mistake sorry I meant Timid Nature

Spikes

You don't see the lessened accuracy of Hydro Pump as an issue?

You don't see the lessened accuracy of Hydro Pump as an issue?
I used to think so, but nowadays I've had a change of heart. Missing Hydro Pump sucks, but base 103 special attack really only gets you so far, even with STAB on everything, so Greninja needs to wring all the damage it can out of it.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Quiet Nature

- Spikes
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Thoughts?
I think that scald would be a better option over surf because of burn chance.

This is the Greninja I use.

Everyone tells me Water Shuriken is a niche move, but it has been great for me, especially on raindance teams. It's priority is quite useful vs Talonflame.

Grass Knot is also great. It has a cool trick vs Smeargle where you can grass knot them, breaking their sash and also making Greninja immune to spore.

The STAB Life orb U-turn hits like a tank.

MIXED ATTACK GRENINJA
Adamant/Jolly
252 Speed, 252 Attack 4 HP
Ice Beam
Water Shuriken
U-Turn
Grass Knot

The only weak move is Ice Beam, does anyone have a better suggestion? This greninja gets walled by steels.

Everyone tells me Water Shuriken is a niche move, but it has been great for me, especially on raindance teams. It's priority is quite useful vs Talonflame.

Grass Knot is also great. It has a cool trick vs Smeargle where you can grass knot them, breaking their sash and also making Greninja immune to spore.

MIXED ATTACK GRENINJA
Adamant/Jolly
Ice Beam
Water Shuriken
U-Turn
Grass Knot

The only weak move is Ice Beam, does anyone have a better suggestion? This greninja gets walled by steels.
Why run an Adamant or Jolly nature? If you're going to be using Ice Beam or Grass Knot on this set then you are much better off with using a Hasty or Naive nature and investing at least a little bit into Sp. Atk.
Water Shuriken is usually too weak and inconsistent to get the job done and Greninja will only outspeed Talonflame if it has an Adamant nature instead of Jolly. It will almost always end up as a weak last resort move. Priority is nice, but it is usually better off using Waterfall or Surf/Hydro Pump/Scald especially since it is already quite fast.

MIXED ATTACK GRENINJA
Adamant/Jolly
Ice Beam
Water Shuriken
U-Turn
Grass Knot

This isn't really a mixed set. You're really hampering Greninja's better Sp.Atk by giving it Adamant/Jolly on top of no Sp.Atk EVs. You're better off just going fully physical which--as people have mentioned profusely--is a terrible set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)