Sticky Stuff

wow, I haven't done one of these since Gen4, but here goes. I saw Sticky Web, and immediately fell in love. I had, therefore, the idea to come up with a team that uses slightly-slow bulky Pokemon, and smashes people in the face with them. I considered things like M-Garchomp, but never quite found the room for him. Here's my team, which peaked around 1300...which I don't think is half bad, considering I'm rusty as hell.

Thor (Galvantula) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Rain Dance

Fairly standard, according to my learnings. Sticky Web lead allows my team to get the ball rolling. Thunder is powerful STAB, and Bug Buzz chases away Absols, Espeons, and the occasional Zoroark pretenting to be an Espeon. Rain Dance, while unconventional, makes a lead Tyranitar waste a turn KOing me AND gets rid of immediate sand. it's actually worked fairly well for me, despite the apparant randomness.

Odin (Aegislash) (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

Because it looks like it has one eye...get it? *AHEM*...fairly standard, as far as I can tell. King's Sheild punishes physical attackers, and even eases Goodra's entry, if I deem her nessecary. Other than that, it's proven itself to be a more than capable spinblocker.

Iodun (Goodra) (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 SDef
Calm Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Earthquake

This is why I discarded M-Garchomp. Goodra's got ridiculous bulk, and Assault vest punishes anything stupid enough to hit it with a special attack. Gooey is, essentially, a plan-B for flyers, levitators, and anything else that gets around my Sticky Web. Muddy Water, for what it's worth, has been very reliable thusfar, and catches anyone offguard, especially if rain's pouring down. I've considered Counter, but I'm completely up in the air about it.

Loki (Deoxys-Defense) @ Red Card
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Skill Swap/Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

my plan C. Stealth Rock punishes flyers that don't give a crap about my Sticky Web. Thunder Wave, obviously, cuts speed in case Sticky Web was taunted or something, since I like being faster. a lot. Skill Swap, while unconventional, has helped me out of a few sticky situations...namely shutting down things like Toxic Orb Gliscor, or Prankster Sableye. I'm still unsure as to if I miss Spikes or not.

Freya (Sylveon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixelate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Heal Bell

because I plan on making this eventually VGC, I chose Sylveon over Chansey/Blissey. Also pixelate Hyper Voice has helped me out of a few nasty spots. Sylveon is, essentially, my cleric - serving little purpose besides throwing HP at my party members, and getting rid of sleep, burn, or whathaveyou.

Tyr (Bisharp) (M) @ Dread Plate
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Because screw Defog. base 80 speed is fine normally, but when everything else is at -1, it's killer. especially if I can get a SD up on a switch, and STILL outspeed stuff with Knock Odd and Iron Head if need be, rather than relying on Sucker Punch.

Last edited:
Your Aegislash is kind of strange. Why have Shadow Ball, Shadow Sneak, and sacred sword, but 252 SPattk EVs? I'd remove Shadow Ball for SD, and give it 252 attack EVs instead. The extra 4 can go into def or SPdef, your choice. Also, reconsider the item, a Quick Claw can be very handy. On Garvantula, I'd switch Thunder out for Thunderbolt, because that miss can be very frustrating. I'd also put Psychic on Deo-d instead of Skill Swap, so you aren't complete taunt bait. Bisharp looks pretty good, but a Life orb is probably a better choice of item, especially if you have a cleric to wish it back to full. Other than that, your team looks great.

Your Aegislash is kind of strange. Why have Shadow Ball, Shadow Sneak, and sacred sword, but 252 SPattk EVs? I'd remove Shadow Ball for SD, and give it 252 attack EVs instead. The extra 4 can go into def or SPdef, your choice. Also, reconsider the item, a Quick Claw can be very handy. On Garvantula, I'd switch Thunder out for Thunderbolt, because that miss can be very frustrating. I'd also put Psychic on Deo-d instead of Skill Swap, so you aren't complete taunt bait. Bisharp looks pretty good, but a Life orb is probably a better choice of item, especially if you have a cleric to wish it back to full. Other than that, your team looks great.
Its full invested in SPAtk because the main move is Shadow Ball with its amazing coverage and with the raw power of Aegislash it already does a lot of damage. As aegislash is one of the main threat in the meta every decent team has a counter/check for it so it is a waste to set up swords dance when you are going to have to switch out a lot in the game. Quick Claw is a very bad item. Thunder is there because Compound Eyes make it not miss too much. Psyshic is really stupid, the only attack that should be considered in Deo-D is Superpower to kill Bisharp and also some Tyranitar. I agree with the Life Orb.
I'm sorry if it wasn't my place to reply as it is not my RMT but I couldn't let all that wrong advices go to you as something correct.

As for changes to make your team better I would change Rain Dance for Volt Switch, as it is as unconventional as useless to have that Rain Dance. I would maybe consider Earthquake on Goodra instead of Muddy Water to kill Heatran as he seems to pose a serious threat to your team. Just some calc to show how efficient it would be even with Calm Nature:
0- Atk Goodra Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 248-292 (64.2 - 75.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Skill Swap isn't really a thing because Sableye will simply Taunt you before you can do anything to him and Gliscor can simply switch out or make a Sub or Taunt you before you can do your thing. Maybe add Spikes or Superpower there would be a good thing. If going for Superpower go with Jolly Nature and the following EVs so you can be able to kill relevant stuff: 216HP / 40Atk / 252Spe
On Bisharp I would seriously consider Life Orb for more power as you are already losing some power with Jolly nature, thing that seem relevant to out speed stuff like Garchomp, but what is out speeding good if you can't kill it ?
I hope to have been helpful.

thanks, Luis, for saving me some typing space :P

I tried Volt Switch, and (strange as it seems), I like Rain Dance a lot better, and I'm finding I'm using it more often than I'd use a Volt Switch.

As much as I DO like Muddy Water, I suppose you're right...I haven't had much issue with Heatran yet, but I'm also only playing around 1200-1300 range...

as for Skill Swap, not all Gliscors pack taunt (I've seen a lot of Roost/Sub/Protect/EQ), and Skill Swap hits through a sub. it also allows me to do stupid things like shut down specs Heatran.

and Bisharp...I haven't noticed the damage loss from Adamant to Jolly. I actually had to rebuild this team after PO not saving my team, and didn't notice that it put me on Jolly until you just pointed it out. I'll be changing it to Adamant now, regardless, but I'll definitely give a LO some serious consideration...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)